Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:08 PM
HWY129
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thanks for asking! Unlike the early cars (2002-2006) that had a different inlet hose for AT vs. stick, the 07+ R55/56/57 all take the same parts. So the AMP-INT-401 AND AMP-INT-400 (depending on where you see the part listed) will fit both the stick and the A/T.

If I can help in anyway further, please don't hesitate to ask!
Awesome! Thanks - I placed my order for the Clubman and one for my my older MCS. Can't wait to feel and hear the difference.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:20 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mistertripps
Awesome! Thanks - I placed my order for the Clubman and one for my my older MCS. Can't wait to feel and hear the difference.
Thank you for the order! REALLY appreciate it! Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:18 AM
com2u
Neutral
boost/water temp gauges

Originally Posted by ALTA2
First let me thank you for your continued patronage and support of ALTA Performance Products. North American Motoring as a group has been very influencial in our success in the Mini Cooper market. We value your business but more importantly your opinions, feedback and concerns. Our goal is to make each one of our potential customers happy and confident with the money they have worked hard to earn and are now investing in performance or visual improvements to their vehicle.

This thread is specifically designed for our engineers, sales people and marketing staff to address any concerns you may have, questions about a new or old product, parts combatibility and general technical advice. We welcome you to offer up anything that we can help you with. All questions will be answered in detail using factual information and promptly! We intend to revisit this thread on a daily basis to keep on top of what ever is of interest on that particular day. Feel free to also voice any concerns you have about any product. From how it works, how much it costs, and also if you would like to see something different. We would love to compare our parts to others and discuss the reasons why we make parts the way we do.

As always thanks in advance for the feedback. We appreciate it! Finally I can always be reached personally at our offices via e-mail or phone if something is not being answered properly here.
hello,

do you have boost and water temp gauges in stock?

i need two each.

and also looking for KONIG TWILITE 17" black.

please send me the price.

Thank you

Old 11-08-2009, 07:57 PM
com2u
Neutral
ALTA intake hose installation problem

Hello,

My friend has a problem with installing ALTA intake ver 2.0 for Automatic (R53).

i tired to get some answers from here, but i couldn't find the right answer for this case. However, i found the same problem that someone already posted it here.

i copied and pasted here. can you e-mail or PM me the solution?

e-mail: airman1977@gmail.com

thank you

Crankcase tube to Alta intake hose question/problem
I just got the Alta 2.0 CAI and began installing it this morning. Everything looked great until I went to install the intake hose. The small spigot for the crankcase hose would not properly align with the crankcase hose itself. The problem was that the spigot opening was angled at almost a complete right angle to the crankcase hose. In other words, the crankcase hose came in from the left essentially parallel with the intercooler, but the spigot on the intake hose extended out not to the left to meet the crankcase hose, but more toward the direction of the air box. So the crankcase hose and the spigot are sitting at almost 90 degree angles to one another making it impossible to connect them. Has anyone else had this problem or know a solution? I have a 03 MCS.

Thanks.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:27 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Originally Posted by com2u
Hello,

My friend has a problem with installing ALTA intake ver 2.0 for Automatic (R53).

i tired to get some answers from here, but i couldn't find the right answer for this case. However, i found the same problem that someone already posted it here.

thank you

I just got the Alta 2.0 CAI and began installing it this morning. Everything looked great until I went to install the intake hose. The small spigot for the crankcase hose would not properly align with the crankcase hose itself. The problem was that the spigot opening was angled at almost a complete right angle to the crankcase hose. In other words, the crankcase hose came in from the left essentially parallel with the intercooler, but the spigot on the intake hose extended out not to the left to meet the crankcase hose, but more toward the direction of the air box. So the crankcase hose and the spigot are sitting at almost 90 degree angles to one another making it impossible to connect them. Has anyone else had this problem or know a solution? I have a 03 MCS.

Thanks.
Emailed! Thank you!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 AM
com2u
Neutral
thanks, i got your e-mail.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:57 PM
04MINIR53
Neutral
I'm recently installed the following items on my 04 R53 and was wondering what the approximate horse power/torque the mods would create. I figured ALTA has previously dynoed similar cars and though you may know.

MSD Coil Pack
Magnicor Wire Set
Brisk Sparkplugs
Alta Cold Air Intake System
Alta 15% Pulley
Alta Catback exhaust
Alta Intercooler Sprayer Diverter with Sprayer Kit

Old 11-13-2009, 09:26 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi! We haven't dyno tested a car with exactly those mods, but we did test on an R53 with our headers, catback exhaust, 15% pulley, intercooler, and cold air intake and saw 201 WHP and 175 FT LBS at the wheels! That's a fast Mini! You'll see about 8-10 less WHP and FT LBS. If you have any more questions, let me know, thanks!

Old 12-16-2009, 06:38 PM
winters49441
1st Gear
I am having same problem

Originally Posted by com2u
Hello,

thank you

Thanks.
How did you fix it? I am having the same problem. Thanks

Old 12-17-2009, 08:40 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Thanks for your question! The best way to connect the breather lines to our silicone hose is to connect the breather hoses before installing the hose on the airbox. You may have to tug the breather lines toward the intake to give it a little more slack, but it will fit. The reason our spigots are at different angles than the OEM are to clear the supercharger. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Aeromax
5th Gear
Hey guys, I just got my 02-03 Short Shifter. What kind of grease should I be putting on the ball when I install it?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:01 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Aeromax,

Any good quality grease will be fine, just make sure to clean off all the old grease off before putting the new stuff on, thanks!

Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
Aeromax,

Any good quality grease will be fine, just make sure to clean off all the old grease off before putting the new stuff on, thanks!
What Chris said! I personally use Redline synthetic grease...cuz its red!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:48 AM
ECHO-313
3rd Gear
Hey Jarid
I bought a Intercooler deverter from you guys a couple months ago, when it was still cold and they were on sale.
I just got around to installing it. In the box were two of the same size silicone couplers (small).
Their is no way the small one is going to fit the larger side.
Did I get two small by mistake?
Thanks
[FONT=Arial Black]Rich[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black]mcnuttrich@yahoo.com[/FONT]

Old 04-23-2010, 08:53 AM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ECHO-313
Hey Jarid
I bought a Intercooler deverter from you guys a couple months ago, when it was still cold and they were on sale.
I just got around to installing it. In the box were two of the same size silicone couplers (small).
Their is no way the small one is going to fit the larger side.
Did I get two small by mistake?
Thanks
[FONT=Arial Black]Rich[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Black]mcnuttrich@yahoo.com[/FONT]
Give us a call and we will take care of ya!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:01 PM
letsgofloogin
2nd Gear
I have an Alta header with a bad cat. What size cat do I need, and do you sell them? or if you don't, what brand would you recommend?

Old 04-30-2010, 11:07 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
The cat in the header is a 2.5", we use Magnaflow cats originally, we don't sell them though since that part has been discontinued, thanks!

Old 05-01-2010, 08:53 PM
ECHO-313
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Jarid
Give us a call and we will take care of ya!
Will do.
Thanks Jarid. I'm at the Dragon. Call ya as soon as I get home.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:45 AM
ECHO-313
3rd Gear
Called and talked to Chris.
He took care of me.

Keep up the great CS alta.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:56 PM
deezy
1st Gear
I just ordered my alta cold air intake today. I can't wait to hear this whine and I really hope its as easy as everyone says to install !

Old 09-07-2010, 02:15 PM
ViperGTS
4th Gear
It only took me an hour to install, while I was watching my 2 boys play in the yard (and sometimes with my pieces.....).

It isn't difficult at all.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Cole9953
4th Gear
do yall sell a foam filter that will fit inside a stock 06 mcs air box?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Cole9953
4th Gear
not a drop in filter

Old 09-14-2010, 07:50 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ECHO-313
Called and talked to Chris.
He took care of me.

Keep up the great CS alta.
Thanks! Chris does a GREAT job and happy he was able to help you!

Originally Posted by deezy
I just ordered my alta cold air intake today. I can't wait to hear this whine and I really hope its as easy as everyone says to install !
Originally Posted by ViperGTS
It only took me an hour to install, while I was watching my 2 boys play in the yard (and sometimes with my pieces.....).

It isn't difficult at all.

Good luck!
Thanks for the order deezy and thanks for the info viperGTS. This is an easy mod BUT if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ring us up. Always happy to help!

Originally Posted by Cole9953
do yall sell a foam filter that will fit inside a stock 06 mcs air box?
Originally Posted by Cole9953
not a drop in filter
If you have a JCW Air Box, we DO offer a replacement filter CLICK HERE for more details!

Thanks folks!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Slartibartfast
2nd Gear
You guys alluded to a large turbo upgrade in a recent poll, and I will probably get flamed for asking this, but what are the chances of such a turbo working with a Cooper (non-S)? Putting cost aside, have you guys even thought about offering turbo kits for the base?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!