Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:30 PM
deezy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed the CAI today. You guys were right, that was very easy. Thanks for the advise! My lower air-box looked like a sandbox. I wonder if the previous owner was a beach goer. One thing i was confused about was the instructions telling me the pre-2003 minis needed a hole drilled. Mine is 7/02 and didn't need this. I can already feel the mod bug scratching. That whine is great. I did notice the high pitched short whistle which i thought may have been caused by a leak somewhere but after searching these forums it sounds like its a normal thing. Okay time to get back out there!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:29 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by deezy
Just installed the CAI today. You guys were right, that was very easy. Thanks for the advise! My lower air-box looked like a sandbox. I wonder if the previous owner was a beach goer. One thing i was confused about was the instructions telling me the pre-2003 minis needed a hole drilled. Mine is 7/02 and didn't need this. I can already feel the mod bug scratching. That whine is great. I did notice the high pitched short whistle which i thought may have been caused by a leak somewhere but after searching these forums it sounds like its a normal thing. Okay time to get back out there!
Thanks! Glad you are enjoying the power and that the installation went off without a hitch!

Thanks again for choosing ALTA Performance! Let us know how we can help in the future!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 AM
deezy
1st Gear
Just a quick question. Call me paranoid but this was my first time under the hood. I just want to ensure this throttle whistle sound is normal. It happens at all speeds and only when i put my foot on the gas. It sounds like metal fibers swooshing on a plate. The sound doesn't bother me I just would like to know that its fine and i didn't screw up the install. Thanks for any info!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:20 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Just a quick question. Call me paranoid but this was my first time under the hood. I just want to ensure this throttle whistle sound is normal. It happens at all speeds and only when i put my foot on the gas. It sounds like metal fibers swooshing on a plate. The sound doesn't bother me I just would like to know that its fine and i didn't screw up the install. Thanks for any info!
Thanks for the purchase and the post. From what you are describing it sounds completely normal!

Thanks again!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As Adam says, that sounds completely normal.

For a bit more detail, what you are hearing is the throttle body butterfly valve opening and closing in different manors. This produces a whistle due to the air rushing through varying degrees of open/closed metal at different speeds. Just like a whistle with your mouth(apart from the metal ). You'll come to really love it when you shift quickly at high RPMs. Sounds evocative of a BOV but with a much shorter duration, IMHO.

Last edited by Agarwaen; 09-21-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:29 AM
deezy
1st Gear
Thanks for the input! I already love the weezing sluping noise on top of the whine. Pretty amazing customer service from Alta. I can't wait to get the pulley and then who knows whats next! Take care.
-Dz

Old 09-22-2010, 01:13 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Thanks for the input! I already love the weezing sluping noise on top of the whine. Pretty amazing customer service from Alta. I can't wait to get the pulley and then who knows whats next! Take care.
-Dz
Thank you again for the biz-nez and the compliments! I KNOW you are going to be ecstatic when you get the pulley installed as well!

Please let me know if I can help with any questions you might have!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 01-22-2011, 01:26 PM
sal45
1st Gear
Finally ordered a CAI for my '04 R53! Can't wait to get it either! Looks like good reviews on the 2.0 version too

Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by sal45
Finally ordered a CAI for my '04 R53! Can't wait to get it either! Looks like good reviews on the 2.0 version too
Thank you for the business and enjoy the power and sounds!

As always, let me know if I can ever help further!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 01-25-2011, 03:08 PM
sal45
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thank you for the business and enjoy the power and sounds!

As always, let me know if I can ever help further!

Adam @ ALTA Performance
Thanks Adam! Too bad you don't have them in stock! Just found out last night from where I ordered it from

Old 01-26-2011, 02:52 AM
KrashEd
Neutral
Turbo-back

Installed the cat-back system on the R56... second mod since owning for little over a month. Very nice sound, no drone, but what a pain to fit up. Think Alta could really help by putting an overall pic of the system completely installed in the car within the tech instructions. Went by the pic on the website, but it looks like an older design and still cannot get the sections to sit where a clamp is not against the heatshielding at some point no matter how I orient the pipe sections. Looks like there is enough room to design an exhaust that is a midpipe and muffler only, instead of three sections for a catback. If shipping and logistics were more, I'd pay the extra for a better fit. Someone at Alta said the system used to be two pieces.

The dual cat DP def changes the system and sound completely. Very aggressive in sound, very nice pick up in performance. At the time it was a bangin deal, paid 780 shipped 1/2/11, but price is now down in $600 range shipped, which is a pretty large difference in price over a period of three weeks. That has me scratching my head as well.

Fit of the catback is better with the DP, but still can't get it aligned where it's not touching something or the exhaust is not centered at the rear valence cutout. Probably adds to the interior sound/vibration from the system.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by KrashEd
Installed the cat-back system on the R56... second mod since owning for little over a month. Very nice sound, no drone, but what a pain to fit up. Think Alta could really help by putting an overall pic of the system completely installed in the car within the tech instructions. Went by the pic on the website, but it looks like an older design and still cannot get the sections to sit where a clamp is not against the heatshielding at some point no matter how I orient the pipe sections. Looks like there is enough room to design an exhaust that is a midpipe and muffler only, instead of three sections for a catback. If shipping and logistics were more, I'd pay the extra for a better fit. Someone at Alta said the system used to be two pieces.

The dual cat DP def changes the system and sound completely. Very aggressive in sound, very nice pick up in performance. At the time it was a bangin deal, paid 780 shipped 1/2/11, but price is now down in $600 range shipped, which is a pretty large difference in price over a period of three weeks. That has me scratching my head as well.

Fit of the catback is better with the DP, but still can't get it aligned where it's not touching something or the exhaust is not centered at the rear valence cutout. Probably adds to the interior sound/vibration from the system.
Thanks for the business and the feedback! We would love to help with the fitment for you. Can you call us today? 503-222-MINI and speak to Jeff or Chris. They can walk you through some little tricks to help align everything perfectly!

Thanks again!

Adam
ALTA Performance

Old 01-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Project_2501
2nd Gear
While in the shop recently I had an Alta V1 15% pulley put on my '03. It was an extremely positive upgrade in my opinion (and for the price it was purchased used, even better). Otherwise, the car is stock but with a fresh coil and one step colder plug as far as the engine goes. :thumbup:

Old 02-12-2011, 03:27 PM
sal45
1st Gear
Adam, I finally got around to installing the v2 CAI without the hose. I have to say, there were a few more things I had to remove to help with the install that the instructions didn't mention. But being a Aircraft mechanic, there wasn't any challenge I couldn't get around! Successful install

I did have to remove both intake hoses and I also took the sc cover off. I also had to dremel out the far right hole (drivers side) because of a extra fuse box. I ended up pop-rivot it in place. Just wanted to let you know in case any other '04 MCS drivers have issues.

Last edited by sal45; 02-12-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Adam, I finally got around to installing the v2 CAI without the hose. I have to say, there were a few more things I had to remove to help with the install that the instructions didn't mention. But being a Aircraft mechanic, there wasn't any challenge I couldn't get around! Successful install

I did have to remove both intake hoses and I also took the sc cover off. I also had to dremel out the far right hole (drivers side) because of a extra fuse box. I ended up pop-rivot it in place. Just wanted to let you know in case any other '04 MCS drivers have issues.
Thanks for the message and for the business!

Sorry you encountered any issues with the installation. The rubber and hard plastic tubes, both have to be removed. But not sure what you mean by SC Cover and an extra fuse box?

Can you PM me some additional details? Thank you!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:01 PM
sal45
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thanks for the message and for the business!

Sorry you encountered any issues with the installation. The rubber and hard plastic tubes, both have to be removed. But not sure what you mean by SC Cover and an extra fuse box?

Can you PM me some additional details? Thank you!
Adam, I will take a picture of what I'm talking about and pm you tomorrow. The SC Cover (super charger intercooler cover) is what I ment.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:27 PM
sal45
1st Gear
Adam, here are the pics I was talking about with the extra fuse box.

Attached Thumbnails Official ALTA Q&A thread!-dsc02154.jpg   Official ALTA Q&A thread!-dsc02155.jpg   Official ALTA Q&A thread!-dsc02156.jpg  
Old 02-20-2011, 05:40 PM
unxpectederror
3rd Gear
Adam, here are the pics I was talking about with the extra fuse box.
i have one of those too.. i have no clue with it is.. its not in that location though its located on the other side... i had to cut a wire to install my CAI because the wire was going threw the stock backing piece that had to be removed.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had a wire like that, but no fuse box. I cut the stock air dam instead of the wire.

Mine was from OEM Driving lights.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:35 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
^^^^ Guys that box is for the OEM / Dealer Installed Rally Lamp Kit. The location can vary a bit from car to car. Its not mentioned in the instructions we provide as it is a rarity to find them. BUT, maybe we should put a line in there just mentioning it.

Glad the installation all worked out though!

Thanks again!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:52 PM
rastablaze11
2nd Gear
Love my r53 v2 CAI. When are you going to get more box tops in stock?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:02 AM
ECHO-313
3rd Gear
Hi guys,
I have your 22mm rear sway-bar on my 2004 Mini S.
I have some noise coming from the bushings. It sound like I'm due to replace them
or grease them. If I'm in there I'd prefer to swap them out.
I didn't see replacement bushing on you website.
Do you sell replacement bushings?
If so, how much are they.
BTW great products
Thanks

Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rastablaze11
I'm sorry, the box tops are discontinued, and they are all gone. We aren't planning on bringing them back for now. The included rubber seal will seal against the top of the bonnet to keep heat out.

Originally Posted by ECHO-313
Hi guys,
I have your 22mm rear sway-bar on my 2004 Mini S.
I have some noise coming from the bushings. It sound like I'm due to replace them
or grease them. If I'm in there I'd prefer to swap them out.
I didn't see replacement bushing on you website.
Do you sell replacement bushings?
If so, how much are they.
BTW great products
Thanks
We can sell the bushings, they're $25 for the pair, which will include grease. To purchase them, give us a call, 503-693-1702, thanks!

Old 02-23-2011, 08:23 AM
ECHO-313
3rd Gear
"We can sell the bushings, they're $25 for the pair, which will include grease. To purchase them, give us a call, 503-693-1702, thanks!"

Will do @ lunch today.
Thanks Chris

Old 02-23-2011, 08:59 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by rastablaze11
Not to correct Chris, but we did just pull the trigger on another batch of those box tops. Stay tuned to the website to see when they are available!

or

email me your information and we can contact you when they are available again.

Thank you!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!