Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:54 PM
RussWK
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alta Silicone Intake Tube for R52

Question for Adam at Alta: Adam, I think you have answered this before but I couldn't tell if it involved a combination of other mods or just the tube independent of anything else.

I have read that the tube which goes from the air box/cleaner to the TB is mirror smooth and causes 4-8, or even up to 11 HP/torque gain due to better air flow to the TB.

I have 2006 R52, and already have CAI, 15% pulley with Evotech tune, and stock exhaust, and am considering adding the tube, but noticed the OEM tube has an attached hose going to the oil fill cover. Does your silicone tube have the extension nipple for this hose?

Also, what is the latest real performance difference? Given the above mentioned mods (my car runs beautifully) will the tube ALONE really increase the HP/torque gain by 4-8 or even up to 11 across the RPM range? Seems hard to believe. If so, everybody should have one. Even a $1,000 exhaust won't do much more than that. I don't want more noise, so am keeping the OEM exhaust, but sure wouldn't mind another 8 HP for $100.

Thanks!

Last edited by RussWK; 03-10-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:25 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RussWK
Question for Adam at Alta: Adam, I think you have answered this before but I couldn't tell if it involved a combination of other mods or just the tube independent of anything else.

I have read that the tube which goes from the air box/cleaner to the TB is mirror smooth and causes 4-8, or even up to 11 HP/torque gain due to better air flow to the TB.

I have 2006 R52, and already have CAI, 15% pulley with Evotech tune, and stock exhaust, and am considering adding the tube, but noticed the OEM tube has an attached hose going to the oil fill cover. Does your silicone tube have the extension nipple for this hose?

Also, what is the latest real performance difference? Given the above mentioned mods (my car runs beautifully) will the tube ALONE really increase the HP/torque gain by 4-8 or even up to 11 across the RPM range? Seems hard to believe. If so, everybody should have one. Even a $1,000 exhaust won't do much more than that. I don't want more noise, so am keeping the OEM exhaust, but sure wouldn't mind another 8 HP for $100.

Thanks!
Thanks for asking!

The Inlet Tube is mirror smooth on the inside and does have the matching spigot for the PCV ventilation like the OEM.

HP gains were easily repeated on cars running the ALTA CAI. Inlet on = more HP, Inlet off = less HP, even with the same ALTA Air Box installed.

From our site:

"The graph below shows dyno results before and after installation of the inlet hose. The Base Run is of the ALTA Cold Air intake with no Silicone hose installed.
The test runs shows gain by simply adding the inlet tube to the intake! 7 WHP gain and 5 Ft/lbs of Torque! Thats more than some intake systems add! This is some of the CHEAPEST HP you can add to your Cooper S. "

Hope that helps!

Thanks again for asking!!!

Old 03-11-2011, 08:36 PM
RussWK
2nd Gear
Alta Silicone Intake Tube for R52

Thanks Adam. Am sending in an order for one of these, in black.

Thanks!

--Russ

Old 03-12-2011, 07:09 AM
BMUN8IVE
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question for ya, Adam

I picked up the Alta exhaust for my R53 but need the ring clamp, and associated mounting hardware. Haven't seen a set on the site, have emailed a couple times but never got a reply, can you help me out? Just give me the part numbers to order or shoot me a PM?

Last edited by BMUN8IVE; 03-12-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Bmun8ive, just give us a call to order that part, we don't have a lot of our misc parts on our website, thanks!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:20 PM
littleone231
1st Gear
Hello, I installed your 15% pulley, belt, msd coil pack and brisk DR14S on saturday and on sunday I was driving down the highway and it would miss occasionally around 75mph. So when I arrived home I pulled the spark plugs and everyone of them had shown as burning hot such as having white tips wich I was always under the understanding that they should be tannish. I called Alta last week to see if these were the right plugs and I was told definently yes. Please let me know if this is ok or what plugs I should be runnning. This has me worried, I don't want to ruin the engine. Thanks

Old 05-02-2011, 06:49 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by littleone231
Hello, I installed your 15% pulley, belt, msd coil pack and brisk DR14S on saturday and on sunday I was driving down the highway and it would miss occasionally around 75mph. So when I arrived home I pulled the spark plugs and everyone of them had shown as burning hot such as having white tips wich I was always under the understanding that they should be tannish. I called Alta last week to see if these were the right plugs and I was told definently yes. Please let me know if this is ok or what plugs I should be runnning. This has me worried, I don't want to ruin the engine. Thanks
Thanks again for the post and the purchase. We want to help you further, can you email me at adam.taft@ALTAPerformance.com your daytime tel#, vehicle information (miles, year, mods etc.) and we can go from there!

I'm sure the issue is something simple.

Thanks again!

Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 AM
C-Lop
4th Gear
Hey, I want to purchase your exhaust for my r53 and I have a couple of questions.
1. do you still make the oval exhaust tip?
2. this is at the extreme max of my budget (actually cutting into my control arm budget, i was going to go with IE exhaust) do you have any deals or promotions going on or coming up?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by C-Lop
Hey, I want to purchase your exhaust for my r53 and I have a couple of questions.
1. do you still make the oval exhaust tip?
2. this is at the extreme max of my budget (actually cutting into my control arm budget, i was going to go with IE exhaust) do you have any deals or promotions going on or coming up?
Thank you for asking!

1.) We might have a couple floating around. Which one Black or Polished?
2) You can use SPR10G coupon code to save 5% off your order.

Let me know on the tips and I'll get back to you with what options we have. It would be best to shoot me a PM with your contact information and address.

Thank you again!

Adam @ ALTA Performance

Old 05-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Still nothing for European Minis and Countryman cooper S all4??

Old 05-02-2011, 02:24 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Nimrandir, as far as the AccessPORT goes, no, not yet sorry!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
Are there any plans to release an AP for the R53, or is this a dream we can forget about?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:35 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Right now we aren't planning on making an AccessPORT for the R53.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:50 PM
fishbone
4th Gear
Boo. Hiss. Moan. *****. Cry. Etc :(

Old 05-11-2011, 04:19 PM
C-Lop
4th Gear
Adam, thanks for the great products, everything is on and running. I had problems with the brisk plugs setting off a p0130 code for an O2 sensor and the car sputtered like the timing was slightly off not a limp but like on a older car that had a dirty rotor or cap. The original plugs are back in and the code self cleared and the car is running perfect. are the dr14s not the right plug for my car, i have intake, exhaust and pulley. Thanks for all the help and the great deal. I will definitely keep doing business with you guys!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:25 PM
littleone231
1st Gear
I ran into the same problem with my 2005. I put a brand new set of oe plugs in and it runs like a top. Alta told me they were the right plugs and as I can tell they don't work, so we are out the set of plugs. The ngk's fit much better. I have just the 15% pulley and the msd coil pack and wires.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:44 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Adam, thanks for the great products, everything is on and running. I had problems with the brisk plugs setting off a p0130 code for an O2 sensor and the car sputtered like the timing was slightly off not a limp but like on a older car that had a dirty rotor or cap. The original plugs are back in and the code self cleared and the car is running perfect. are the dr14s not the right plug for my car, i have intake, exhaust and pulley. Thanks for all the help and the great deal. I will definitely keep doing business with you guys!
Originally Posted by littleone231
I ran into the same problem with my 2005. I put a brand new set of oe plugs in and it runs like a top. Alta told me they were the right plugs and as I can tell they don't work, so we are out the set of plugs. The ngk's fit much better. I have just the 15% pulley and the msd coil pack and wires.
Thanks guys for the info and feedback.

If the plugs don't work, PLEASE let us know. Email Chris.Cone@ALTAPerformance.com with your purchase details and lets get these handled for ya'll ASAP!

The BRISK plugs are an ideal compliment for the car. Work really well and improve performance. Sorry the first sets didn't work well for you guys.

Thanks again for the biz-nez!

Adam @ ALTA

Old 05-12-2011, 05:01 AM
C-Lop
4th Gear
thanks again Adam. I have sent Chris an email with details of my plugs and what happened. BTW this is the best sounding exhaust for the Cooper and a noticible HP gain, I'm glad I went out of my budget!!

Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
thanks again Adam. I have sent Chris an email with details of my plugs and what happened. BTW this is the best sounding exhaust for the Cooper and a noticible HP gain, I'm glad I went out of my budget!!
Oh that is GREAT news! Very happy you are loving it!

chat soon!

Old 05-12-2011, 05:40 PM
littleone231
1st Gear
Adam, I sent chris my info but, really no response on getting different plugs or exchanging them or what. I do like the alta components I recieved except for the brisk plugs. I gapped them like I was told and everything but, my car does not like them. I guess I am out the cost of the plugs. Thanks

Old 05-13-2011, 08:31 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
littleone, if your name is Jeff, I have emailed you back!

Old 06-22-2011, 05:05 AM
miniXLR8
3rd Gear
I'm about to go mod crazy with only ALTA parts. (crazy for me and my budget atleast) Intake, 15% pulley package, and a 4" antenna lol I want to order all of these parts at the same time and was wondering if anyone had a checkout code/coupon/w.e so that i can eat this week after I hit the checkout button

Also, a good shop in the tristate (NY,CT,NJ) area that is known or certified for ALTA or MINI installations for these parts

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:58 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by miniXLR8
I'm about to go mod crazy with only ALTA parts. (crazy for me and my budget atleast) Intake, 15% pulley package, and a 4" antenna lol I want to order all of these parts at the same time and was wondering if anyone had a checkout code/coupon/w.e so that i can eat this week after I hit the checkout button

Also, a good shop in the tristate (NY,CT,NJ) area that is known or certified for ALTA or MINI installations for these parts

Thanks!
Thanks for asking! Check your PM!

Old 06-23-2011, 12:26 AM
CZ Mate
3rd Gear
Alta, I just bought from a fellow MINI club member your Supercharger pulley, +2 Lighten crank pulley, and ALTAnator pulley. They are all BRAND new. I'm about to get them istalled, but relieze you guys dont sell the ALTAnator pulley anymore and now it says that your Cranks pulley doesn't over charge the system. I was wondering if i should save the extra $140 and not get the ALTAnator installed or if i should just get the SC pulley done. Trying to save some cash for your PSRS.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2011, 08:48 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by CZ Mate
Alta, I just bought from a fellow MINI club member your Supercharger pulley, +2 Lighten crank pulley, and ALTAnator pulley. They are all BRAND new. I'm about to get them istalled, but relieze you guys dont sell the ALTAnator pulley anymore and now it says that your Cranks pulley doesn't over charge the system. I was wondering if i should save the extra $140 and not get the ALTAnator installed or if i should just get the SC pulley done. Trying to save some cash for your PSRS.

Thanks
Congrats on the new parts!

If you have all of those items, just put them all on. The ALTA-Nator pulley is a great little mod that I wish we still offered!

Then come back and get the PSRS later on. Honestly the cost to install the ALTA-Nator Pulley shouldn't be an addl $140 over the other items! So be sure to check with your installer.

Thanks again!

Adam
ALTA Performance

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!