Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 11:19 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No takers on 4%? How about a discount? We would love to get some people to try them out and post their findings

Old 05-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
No takers on 4%? How about a discount? We would love to get some people to try them out and post their findings
With a post like that I really really want my car to get here quicker!

-Josh

Old 05-26-2005, 11:58 AM
pyugala
3rd Gear
PM sent!

pyugala,
If you are refering to the silicone hose, we supply 7ft of it to reach any mounting location. If you need more, just let us know and we can send it to you right away.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:01 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Sure, send one my way. I'll try it for ya

Nik

Old 05-27-2005, 01:30 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
We only made a limited number of the 4%ers. So first come first serve on those. but 3% and 2% we have plenty. 4% will be in good stock in a month or so.

Give us a call or email us! We are taking monday off, so we may not get back to you until Tuesday!

Old 05-28-2005, 08:15 PM
ripley
3rd Gear
Jeff, and all who have posted on this thread, outstanding job! A great read and tons of info. Thanks and keep up the good work!

ripley.

Old 05-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Mk2 Colonial Viper
2nd Gear
ALTA Filter for 2005 Mini Cooper

[QUOTE=ALTA2]Lots of good questions over the weekend. Lets get some answered.

Mk2 colonial viper,
Color is important to you, so red is a good choice?? We could do white, that would really show when you need to clean it! If red isn't your favorite color, give us a suggestion.

Hi Jeff - I just saw this and will go back to see if I miscommunicated (or you have me confused w/ someone else) but I could care less what color an air filter is as long as it's easy to determine when it is time to clean it. Red, blue, pink - really whatever works. In Southern AZ the dust and sand is a serious issue, and your foam filter would be a welcome upgrade. Will a filter for the 2005 MC be available? Scott

Old 05-29-2005, 05:22 PM
apexer
6th Gear
This is probably not the correct forum for this question but,I haven't seen any posts lately regarding MTH and, thought someone would have an answer or at least some thoughts.

I currently have the Alta 15% pulley and MTH ecu flashed for my current mods (see signature) Would going to the +2% Alta Crank Pulley require that I get another flash from Franz? Let me re-state... would the new ecu flash for the effective rate of 17% vs 15% pulley make a big difference?

Old 06-01-2005, 10:32 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Mk2 colonial viper,
I think i was confused with someone else, sorry. We have come to the conclusion that a "functional" color is more desired than a "pretty" color. We will stick with the red foam because the color fits with most cars and it is easy to see when it is dirty.

apexer,
I would suggest getting it retuned for sure. Only because we don't know how they tuned the chip, any increase in boost may cause the car to run lean. This would be a better question for MTH, they should be able to tell you if their programming will be ok with the 17% combo.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:05 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Alta,

Thought I'd post this here. I installed the 3% crank pulley this last weekend and did a track day with it yesterday. To start with I am using the JCW belt for my Alta 15% SC pulley. This belt fits great still with the added 3% crank.

Already having your stock size lightweight crank pulley on my car, I needed to remove that. This is when I found that your bolt hole threads, for using the puller, were smaller then factory! Shame on you ... . A quick run to the hardware store and, though they were a bit hard to find, I got the new bolts. I see now that your new oversized pulleys have the stock threads, bravo!

Not having the time to add the new injectors and tune the Unichip, I went ahead and ran the car as is. A full tank of 100 octane was a bit of a reassurance that pre-detonation would not be a problem, so I felt OK running all out

Results. Well no dynos, but I will tell you that my lap times were up. One example being that on the main straight (Lime Rock) I was hitting about 110 prior to this install. Yesterday I was a strong 120. Some of this was due to other mods (suspension), but all in all I can truly see a difference with this little added 3%.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Mk2 Colonial Viper
2nd Gear
2005 MC filter?

Mk2 colonial viper,
I think i was confused with someone else, sorry. We have come to the conclusion that a "functional" color is more desired than a "pretty" color. We will stick with the red foam because the color fits with most cars and it is easy to see when it is dirty.

Agreed - functionality is key - when should we expect a 2005 MC filter?

Old 06-01-2005, 05:17 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
onasled,
You discovered the problem with the first batch of crank pulleys we did. Some how the M6 bolt turned into an m5 bolt hole. Luckily is is just a trip to the hardware store to fix it. Also if anyone has this problem we can send you the needed bolts.

10MPH increase is huge! I am glad you are happy with the part and can tell the difference from one to the other. I am curious what boost you were seeing? Stock JCW belt works which is great. We will add that to our Belt/SC pulley/crank pulley chart.

Mk2 Colonial Viper,
The 05 fitler is going to be about 4-6 weeks from production. This will be the first standar part for the 05 we will make.

Old 06-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Mk2 Colonial Viper
2nd Gear
onasled,

Mk2 Colonial Viper,
The 05 fitler is going to be about 4-6 weeks from production. This will be the first standar part for the 05 we will make.
Great! - Thanks Jeff

Old 06-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
OCC & CAI install issues

Alta,
I installed the catch can and intake on Saturday. My SES light came on Monday... I hoped it wasn't because of my mods. I checked the gas cap since I filled up on Sunday. The light went out Tuesday afternoon and came back on Wednesday, so I'm eliminating the gas cap theory.

I've notice idle is a bit rough it ranges from 800-1500 RPM and usually sits around 1200 at a stop light (seems high to me).

If I had to guess, I would say it has something to do with the catch can installation...I consider myself fairly competent when it comes to such installations, but mistakes happen. The instructions mentioned alternate installation methods, but I only received 2002 instructions (I have a 2003). I ended up locating the CC near the DSC box (see pic). I know others have done this, so I don't think the location is the problem. I did notice that the hose had to turn a tight corner under the IC coming off the crank case hose. I tried to leave a little extra slack there to prevent the hose from crimping, but it may be doing this anyway.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing these issues? Thanks in advance!!

Attached Thumbnails Official ALTA Q&A thread!-engine.jpg  
Old 06-09-2005, 11:12 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pir8 97
Alta,
I installed the catch can and intake on Saturday. My SES light came on Monday... I hoped it wasn't because of my mods. I checked the gas cap since I filled up on Sunday. The light went out Tuesday afternoon and came back on Wednesday, so I'm eliminating the gas cap theory.

I've notice idle is a bit rough it ranges from 800-1500 RPM and usually sits around 1200 at a stop light (seems high to me).

If I had to guess, I would say it has something to do with the catch can installation...I consider myself fairly competent when it comes to such installations, but mistakes happen. The instructions mentioned alternate installation methods, but I only received 2002 instructions (I have a 2003). I ended up locating the CC near the DSC box (see pic). I know others have done this, so I don't think the location is the problem. I did notice that the hose had to turn a tight corner under the IC coming off the crank case hose. I tried to leave a little extra slack there to prevent the hose from crimping, but it may be doing this anyway.

I have had mine installed for over a year with no problems. This is how I have mine installed.....

Notice I have capped off the grey SC hose.

Attached Thumbnails Official ALTA Q&A thread!-catch-can-routing.jpg  
Old 06-09-2005, 11:29 AM
BigBrownDog
4th Gear
You really should have the DTC code scanned and see what the real problem is, but my guess is that you have a vacuum/boost leak at one of the intercooler boots. They're sometimes a beeyatch to get back on just right. If I were you I would pull the I/C back off and replace it, carefully checking to make sure that the boots were fully seated on both sides, and not pinched or kinked.

I'm not sure that having the catch can hose kinked would cause a SES light -- let us know what the DTC code is if you can get it scanned.

Originally Posted by Pir8 97
Alta,

Old 06-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
I have had mine installed for over a year with no problems. This is how I have mine installed.....

Notice I have capped off the grey SC hose.
That's exactly how I have my hoses. I actually printed off your picture when I was installing

Originally Posted by BigBrownDog
You really should have the DTC code scanned and see what the real problem is, but my guess is that you have a vacuum/boost leak at one of the intercooler boots. They're sometimes a beeyatch to get back on just right. If I were you I would pull the I/C back off and replace it, carefully checking to make sure that the boots were fully seated on both sides, and not pinched or kinked.
I'm well over 100 miles from a dealer/service center, so I want to try to figure it out myself first. I'll pull the IC tonight and take a look. I can see how this could be a problem.

One other thing I noticed today is the idle is much better (800-900RPM) when I have my AC on.

Old 06-09-2005, 12:00 PM
bouray
3rd Gear
Had our catch can hose kinked for quite a while (months and months) with never an engine code light.

Old 06-09-2005, 01:13 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
BigBrownDog is right, we can guess all day long, but knowing the code will tell us in seconds what is wrong. I too don't belive the kinked hoses matter at all.

I would guess some electrical connection was loosened on accident. Let us know what code you get and we can go from there.

Old 06-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
I pulled the IC off and remounted it. I haven't taken it on the highway but I did do a spin around the building then let it idle... smooth as silk. We'll see if the SES goes off in a day or so.

Edit: The SES light went off on the way home last night! Woohoo!

Old 06-09-2005, 04:04 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Pir8 97]That's exactly how I have my hoses. I actually printed off your picture when I was installing [QUOTE]

Glad I could help.....especially w/o doing anything !

Old 06-09-2005, 04:12 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeff,
I just had a question about some shifter related stuff....

i recently got a shifter for free and i believe its for the earliest car, 02-03 i believe, i was just wondering if you had some dimensions of the different pivot ***** for the 2 or 3 different shifters. (Upper, the main pivot point, and the lower pivot point)

also, did the shifters change again for 05? i think if they did, that might be my problem too. i have a standard cooper with the 5 speed.

any help you can give would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Rick

Old 06-10-2005, 01:21 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
rednwhitecooper,
The 2 different shifters are very easy to figure out the difference. Pull up the shift boot, and you will find either an all black, or all white shifter body. White means you have an 02-03,and black means 04 up.

The shifters between S and standard are the same for their respective year. If we sent you the wrong shifter, please call us and we will get you the correct one right away!

Old 06-16-2005, 07:24 AM
supergimp
4th Gear
Ok, I'm a little confused. Last night I put my new Alta CAI on my 2005 MCSa and everything went great - until I got to the silicone hose. My OEM Hose has two vent ports on it and the Alta only has one. Am I missing something?

Steve

Old 06-16-2005, 07:37 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The MCSa has two hoses for some reason going into the rubber elbow. You'll need to tee them together.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!