Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 01:25 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andy is right, just tee it together. Since we discovered this problem we only got to visualy see this on the car. We didn't have the luxury to take this apart. If you can measure the ID of the hose before it turns into plastic, we will send you the tee. This part will be included with the newer intakes, but we just need to find out what size to supply.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:10 PM
supergimp
4th Gear
Jeff,

I'll get you that measurement by this weekend.

Thanks, I figured it was something that changed in the MCSa.

Steve

Old 06-17-2005, 07:14 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Would you mind taking some more pics of that double vent line? I haven't seen it in person and am curious to see where they each begin and end. Also, snap a pic of the vacuum diagram at the back of the engine compartment.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:34 AM
aokdoug
3rd Gear
alta crank pulley how-to

just installed light-weight pulley.
1. stock bolt that comes with bmw puller is about 3/4 inch too short.
went &got longer one then job was easy.
2. heated pulley in oven@ 400 f. then it just fell on.another-easy
doug

Old 06-19-2005, 05:14 PM
supergimp
4th Gear
Sorry, I just got everything back together when I came in and read your message. I did take a few pictures though. I don't know if they are useful. The I.D. of the vent tube coming from the OEM hose is 11.5 mm. Here are a few pics:

I'd love to get the proper tee. Let me know if this helps.

Steve

Old 06-19-2005, 08:22 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
aokdoug,
That is good info since 99% of the people that buy the pulley use the stock BMW part. I know that the UR crank pulley is supposed to heated for install, which is why i assume you did that. During our initial instruction writing, we contacted Mini, and they say to simpley bolt it onto the nose of the crank. No heating at all! I am wondering if anyone has done this yet? I am not saying heating is bad at all, but not every shop has an oven

supergimp,
Thanks for the help, the ID of the plastic fitting is ok, but i thought it turned into a rubber hose about 2" back. I could be completely wrong, i just remember seeing it eventually turn into a hard plastic line. And somewhere between that connector and the hard line was a rubber hose. I most likely am making it up because that plastic connector could be the plastic line. Either way, we can supply a small peice of hose and tee to make this work.

Thanks again for you quick help!

Old 06-19-2005, 08:36 PM
supergimp
4th Gear
It looks to me that the two fittings look very similar to this. Plastic fittings that fit into molded tubes on the OEM hose. The fitting shown IS some sort of plastic apparatus (sensor or something) and then disappears into a rubber hose. The other (lower) connector looks similar to the top one, but then transitions to another piece of hose. Both disappear under the intercooler.

I suppose that two short pieces of hose (as you can sort of see from the picture, the fitting extends into the OEM hose about an inch or so) that meet with a tee that fits the Alta vent would work. There's not a lot of room in there though.

I'll try to get a few more pictures in the morning.

Steve

Old 06-20-2005, 11:23 AM
supergimp
4th Gear
I don't know if they are of much more help, but I took some additional photos this morning. You can see them here:

http://homepage.mac.com/sthompson/PhotoAlbum117.html

Feel free to post here or PM me if you have any further questions.

Steve

Old 06-20-2005, 11:54 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Thanks for the pics, email me your address and we will send you the tee and hose we think will work along with a bunch of extra pieces. A .5" tee and short piece of hose should do the trick, but when you do get to installing it try different combos of parts. I will look forward to your email.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:37 PM
supergimp
4th Gear
Thanks, Jeff. You have PM.

Steve

Old 06-21-2005, 12:14 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Your parts should be there in a couple of days! Let us know what works!

Old 06-30-2005, 10:32 PM
matma92ser
4th Gear
New Parts

How about a single sided exhaust that fits both Mini Cooper and Mini Cooper S? The S version will need to have the option to also purchase a Mini Cooper rear valance for the side exit instead of the center exit. The straight through design with minimal bends should provide some extra power - right?

Old 06-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Argh!

Originally Posted by matma92ser
How about a single sided exhaust that fits both Mini Cooper and Mini Cooper S? The S version will need to have the option to also purchase a Mini Cooper rear valance for the side exit instead of the center exit. The straight through design with minimal bends should provide some extra power - right?
Take a look here.

I'm sure others have done it. Here are some prices I've been seeing.

2.5" Flange $4
ressonator (4" diameter) $25
2.5" U (to make the zig with mandrel bend tubing) $21 (x2)
Muffler ($25-$300!) chose your poison!
Exhaust tip $20
2.5" Aluminized steel tubing ~$25 for 5 feet.

So for mild steel, that's about $125 in parts. Thow in a gasket, and some hangars and you're talking $150.

If you go ss

2.5" Flange $12
REsonator $50
2.5" Us (x2) $41 ea
Muffler $100
Tip $20
2.5" SS tubing $61

That's $320, plus odds and ends, $340 for parts for SS!

Getting it all welded will be about $100, so if there's a good SS Cooper exhaust with 2.5" pipes and a good muffler and resonator for about $450, I'd buy it (if it weren't defaning). If someone did it in mild steel for $250, I'd buy it as well.

FYI, the Supersprint center pipe with flange and resonator is ~$325.

BTW, the rear lower valence is about $25...

either way, with the right parts this will be lighter than any S exhaust, exept for TonyBs! (and some other wacko racers....)

Matt

Old 07-01-2005, 10:21 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
matma92ser,
Our original thought was to make one just that. Single sided, like ours in now, but with the tip on the passenger side like the standard. But when we were thinking about this, the mini was very new, and we weren't sure how people would feel about buying a new valance for the car. Plus one of the ways to distinguish the S from the standard is the center exhaust. That would be gone from their car. Some poeple may like the stealthyness of that, but some may not. At the time we were new to the mini crowd and thought we better stick to the single sided, center tip, type system. It would be very easy to adapt the current system to the passenger out muffler. The 2 extra bends it eliminates would be beneficial. It seems like a couple people are interested! I would guess a retail price of the system would be about $100-120 less. Of course it would be all the same 304SS mirror polished, .5" flanges, not mild steel, and 2.5" piping, like ours is now. Just a guess the retail but around $500. The more people ask about something like this, the better chance we will build it.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:29 AM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Id be interested... Would it be possible for you to make it sound a little louder in the process? That is the one thing holding me back from your current exhaust.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:58 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
That is first time someone has wanted it louder! I am sure it will be louder due to the 2 less bends. Keep an eye out, this maybe something we do sooner than you think.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:05 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Thank you. I will be looking forward to it

And about the louder comment. I just like a nice loud sounding exhaust. I was looking at the Borla Sport but the quality concerns turned me off to it.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:06 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ALTA2
matma92ser,
Our original thought was to make one just that. Single sided, like ours in now, but with the tip on the passenger side like the standard. But when we were thinking about this, the mini was very new, and we weren't sure how people would feel about buying a new valance for the car. Plus one of the ways to distinguish the S from the standard is the center exhaust. That would be gone from their car. Some poeple may like the stealthyness of that, but some may not. At the time we were new to the mini crowd and thought we better stick to the single sided, center tip, type system. It would be very easy to adapt the current system to the passenger out muffler. The 2 extra bends it eliminates would be beneficial. It seems like a couple people are interested! I would guess a retail price of the system would be about $100-120 less. Of course it would be all the same 304SS mirror polished, .5" flanges, not mild steel, and 2.5" piping, like ours is now. Just a guess the retail but around $500. The more people ask about something like this, the better chance we will build it.
Count me in ! ! !

Maybe even offer a single center outlet instead of the current twin design, that I would like to see also.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Strom
4th Gear
I would also be very interested in the right-side-exit exhaust for the MCS. I was thinking about having one custom made, but was weary of the quality. Would it still be dual-tip?

Old 07-01-2005, 05:25 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
BOth of you bring up a good point about the tip. If it is a passenger side out system, i would guess a nice 4" round tip would look really nice there. It could be the same dual tip but i think round fits the hole better.

About making a single tip for the center out system, we tried to but they just don't look right. It really needs to be oval, but the problem is making the (as dumb as this sounds) inside look nice is very hard. The reason being is that the oval would be so large that the inside becomes a visable to everyone and the tube meeting the oval would be kind of nasty. Trust me, we have tried but just nothing we really liked. Hence the Dual oval tips you see now.

This may be a easy way to build the 3" system. Hmmmmmm.

Old 07-01-2005, 05:31 PM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
BOth of you bring up a good point about the tip. If it is a passenger side out system, i would guess a nice 4" round tip would look really nice there. It could be the same dual tip but i think round fits the hole better.

About making a single tip for the center out system, we tried to but they just don't look right. It really needs to be oval, but the problem is making the (as dumb as this sounds) inside look nice is very hard. The reason being is that the oval would be so large that the inside becomes a visable to everyone and the tube meeting the oval would be kind of nasty. Trust me, we have tried but just nothing we really liked. Hence the Dual oval tips you see now.

This may be a easy way to build the 3" system. Hmmmmmm.
B&B has the big single oval and its NASTY ! The workmanship is very nice but its a horible looking thing. Looks like a chrome coffee can :-)

Is the exhaust for the 05's ready yet ? Do you need a car to test fit one on

Old 07-01-2005, 05:42 PM
matma92ser
4th Gear
Our original thought was to make one just that. Single sided, like ours in now, but with the tip on the passenger side like the standard....

The more people ask about something like this, the better chance we will build it.
I am definitely interested! I think this exhaust should look different from everyone else's. What about a dual tip muffler (side exit), with a custom valance that fits the dual tips? The stock Mini Cooper valance is shaped to only fit a single round tip.

Old 07-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Strom
4th Gear
I agree with this - I think the large single exit would look nice as well. Could you offer an option with the tip being black ceramic coated or powdercoated (see Dinan E46 M3 exhaust)? Then you wouldn't have to worry about cleaning it so much!

Old 07-02-2005, 07:21 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by Strom
I agree with this - I think the large single exit would look nice as well. Could you offer an option with the tip being black ceramic coated or powdercoated (see Dinan E46 M3 exhaust)? Then you wouldn't have to worry about cleaning it so much!
Black ceramic coated would be awesome, maybe you could offer different tip options ? I could possibly go for a side exit with dual black tips...SWEET !

Old 07-02-2005, 11:10 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
IT would make it very easy for them to sell different tips. The buyer could just select a tip and install it post muffler. This would keep costs down and increase popularity. Alta: please go for this. I think it will be very popular

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!