Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Pulley came apart

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 08:38 AM
jlm
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most normals don't have a torque wrench that is accurate to 5-8 ft-lbs. With most torque wrenches, you should not use the lower 15% of the scale anyway as it is not accurate.

Old 05-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Assuming the vendor does a failure analysis, would you share that? Anonymously, if need be. Would be interesting to know if it's a case of overtorquing or not tightening. I would assume it's the former vs. the latter given your earlier description of the thread being stripped out, but that's just a WAG. Installation technique? i.e. tightening with a 3/8 ratchet, T-handle or allen wrench.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:56 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pulley is a 17% reduction three piece pulley from M.C. Performance out of phoenix, az. I had gotten it thourgh a third party when I was living down there, the party I got it through did the initial install of the pulley, which had turned out to be an incorrect install, the actuall hub that first goes on the shaft still had pieces of all four screws left in it. Mike from M.C. Performance came out to cali with a new pulley and installed it correctly. Car runs good now, just need to get my CEL cleared.

Old 05-26-2005, 05:16 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it was an install issue, yet the vendor spent hundreds of dollars in lost profit and hours of time to give you a free product, and install it for you - for nothing more than a short plug here? If that's true I take back all my comments and commend the vendor HIGHLY...but it seems very improbably at best, at least in todays world marketplace.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:41 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kaelaria
So it was an install issue, yet the vendor spent hundreds of dollars in lost profit and hours of time to give you a free product, and install it for you - for nothing more than a short plug here? If that's true I take back all my comments and commend the vendor HIGHLY...but it seems very improbably at best, at least in todays world marketplace.

It's people like this who ruin the community on NAM....the kid posted cause he was obviously upset.What right do you to be skeptical of his honesty? Do you personally have any prior meetings with him? It's most likely not a mechanical issue...there are thousands and thousands of cars running pulleys of all sorts for WAY more miles than he has. Why not just believe him that it was an installation issue which is the only logical choice? It's not unusual for a vendor(in the mini community) to be nice and give out a free product without having any fault in the failure...thats the great thing about this community.

please remove the stick from your MINI's boot, and stop being so negative.

Sorry for just targeting you, but I keep seeing more and more of this on NAM and it's getting to me, this used to be a place where people could share their joy, fears, questions, knowledge, and worries without having to worry about being jumped on by negative skeptics.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:46 AM
mycpr_s
2nd Gear
Glad to hear that everything worked out fine.

Originally Posted by misfit03
The pulley is a 17% reduction three piece pulley from M.C. Performance out of phoenix, az. I had gotten it thourgh a third party when I was living down there, the party I got it through did the initial install of the pulley, which had turned out to be an incorrect install, the actuall hub that first goes on the shaft still had pieces of all four screws left in it. Mike from M.C. Performance came out to cali with a new pulley and installed it correctly. Car runs good now, just need to get my CEL cleared.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:01 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by misfit03
misfit03,
Thanks very much for this info. And I hope you have trouble free use of your upgrade for at least 100,000 miles.

Thank you M.C. Performance for your help- Outstanding. Your uniforms must sport a big "S" on the chest and a flowing red cape over your back.

This brings up a good point. If you mod your car you must be aware that there are possible things that can happen with adverse effects so you will have to trust your ability to pick the "right -(trouble free)" upgrades, do the install correctly/safely (DIY or reliable mechanic), have a good source of info and advice (a trust worthy MINI tuner), and be responsible for the consequences in the case of a bad outcome.

The more we push our cars on the track or autocross and the greater the performance envelope the more things can go wrong and wear out or fail.

When I do a mod, I'm looking to see that all phases from planning to excecution, to maintenance are attended to. For all those who mod or plan to, we just have to be careful and responsible.

This also brings up questions about reliability when purchasing a "Used" MINI that has been modded by DIY methods. When possible,get documents showing which mods were added and by who.

Last edited by minihune; 05-26-2005 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:47 PM
minicoop78
4th Gear
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Hi this is Mike with MC performance/Global Motorwerks. I just returned from my Santa Barbra to take a look at Wills pulley and replace it with a brand new pulley and belt. Their have been alot of questions and I would like to answer as many of them as I can so here goes!![/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3] [/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman] The manufacture of the pulley was Global Motorwerks. Global Motorwerks and I have been working together to become another highly reputable and competitive source of performance products for MINI’s. When Global Motorwerks learned of the pulley failure they immediately wanted to get their hands on that pulley. They contacted me immediately and asked me if I could go and replace Wills pulley and bring the pulley back to Global so that they could take a look at it and asses the damaged for themselves (on their dime [/font][font=Times New Roman]). After looking at the pulley, it has been determined that the bolts running through the pulley were improperly tightened leading to the failure. Many of you may have never heard of Global Motorwerks before and that’s because they are a newer company. They have not advertised or launched their website because they want to have everything “in place” and want to be operating at 100% potential when they launch themselves into the market place. [/font][/size]

Old 06-03-2005, 04:07 AM
minicoop78
4th Gear