Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Pulley came apart

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 03:31 AM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulley came apart

Well today I was driving behind my friend following him to his house and i lost all power, revs dropped, engine light on. Pulled over right away. Only mod on the car is a 17% three-piece pulley, it seems that the four screw that are supposed to hold the pulley together all stripped out, I thought they just fell out at first until I actually found one screw on the ground. I will add pics when I get some taken. The pulley fell apart somewhat but stayed on, the outer ring is eaten up by one of the inner rings. I haven't heard of this happening on anyone else car. I got in touch with some people in phoenix, gonna see what they can do about this issue, I don't want to have to pay for another pulley but I think i might have to. This really bites I have no pulley removal tool, I have no stock pulley, so there is no way that I can even get it running right now.

rant over....

Old 05-20-2005, 03:43 AM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear this but which 17% pulley is this?

Old 05-20-2005, 04:14 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
It would be interesting to know the brand of pulley, but I think this is probably related to the install, if I had to guess. Seems someone overtightened them. If installed properly and it is a reputable pulley this should never happen.

Old 05-20-2005, 04:55 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
Bummer

I'm no expert, but I'd also tend to believe there was an issue with the install. Unless the pulley is: a) pre-owned, b) of questionable quality, or c) stripped out at installation... So how long ago was it installed? Where was it purchased? What brand is it?

The good news is it probably didn't hurt anything else, so you're just a new pulley away from being back on the road. And, you shouldn't have to pay full ticket to get it replaced.

Old 05-20-2005, 05:06 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Can you give more details-
How long have you had your 17% pulley- miles and time?
Who did the install?
What brand is it?
Do you do anything other than street driving? Track or autocross?
Let us know how you get this resolved.
Thanks for posting.

Four screws- not a Helix pulley.

Old 05-20-2005, 05:44 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Sorry to hear about your mishap!

I hope you get it resolved soon.

Some of the popular ones with 4 screws:
Alta:

M7

Ultrik(Mania)

Moss

Old 05-20-2005, 06:19 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
I recall a posting on here someplace that some alta pullies had an incorrect torque spec. It listed the force in ft/lb's NOT in/lb's this is a big diffrence and is why some have been stripped. Alta has beed stepping up to the plate on this andmaking right from what i understand.

good luck

Old 05-20-2005, 06:22 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ht=alta+torque

see post #15 for alta's response. They should be willing to get you fixed up right away.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:23 AM
dcsmd007
If it's an Alta pulley, try to contact them about this. They're very helpful and has an excellent reputation with their product support. :smile:

Old 05-20-2005, 06:28 AM
webstrands
3rd Gear
Alta is not a 3-piece pulley.

Old 05-20-2005, 06:49 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by webstrands
Alta is not a 3-piece pulley.
The only three-piece pulley I've seen is the Ultrik- but it's a 15%, not a 17%.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:04 AM
binkysmini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy
I recall a posting on here someplace that some alta pullies had an incorrect torque spec. It listed the force in ft/lb's NOT in/lb's this is a big diffrence and is why some have been stripped. Alta has beed stepping up to the plate on this andmaking right from what i understan
Whoa there. The problem there was NOT that Alta supplied the wrong specs. The problem there was that they were read wrong. The specs were correctly printed in in-lbs. But because in-lbs is such a rarely seen spec, it was overlooked, and tightened waayy too much. Alta has agreed to change it's instructions to make this more clear.
Cheers!

Old 05-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
--->misfit03: 1st, contact the manufacturer of the pulley. 2nd, contact your installer. I'm sure they'll prefer to work something out rather than get bad press, at least hopefully.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's yours for shipping...

Originally Posted by misfit03
I have no stock pulley, so there is no way that I can even get it running right now.
I have a stock S pully that you can have if it will help. Just PM me with mailing address.

Matt

Old 05-20-2005, 07:58 AM
dcsmd007
Originally Posted by binkysmini
Whoa there. The problem there was NOT that Alta supplied the wrong specs. The problem there was that they were read wrong. The specs were correctly printed in in-lbs. But because in-lbs is such a rarely seen spec, it was overlooked, and tightened waayy too much. Alta has agreed to change it's instructions to make this more clear.
Cheers!
When my friend and I were installing the pulley, we almost made the same mistake. Luckily, we reread the instruction and noticed the unit. :smile:

Old 05-20-2005, 07:59 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a couple of other brands out thre, and from the AZ reference, I can guess which on it is. We'll let him try to resolve it directly first. We really should have all the info before making any assumptions about the product.

One of the issues with using aluminum is stripping at a much lower spec, so this may be the case with this issue if the unit was overtorqued.

Randy

Old 05-20-2005, 10:29 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
--->misfit03: 1st, contact the manufacturer of the pulley. 2nd, contact your installer. I'm sure they'll prefer to work something out rather than get bad press, at least hopefully.
That is what I am working out right now. I am actually out of town now too, but we are taking care of this, the problem does seem very install related. Considering there are plenty of people running this exact pulley with many miles on there's and no problems whatsoever. I have about 2000 miles on with the pulley, I'm am not going to say who it was made by or who installed it.

Old 05-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
sharing info

The questions asked - make, installer, miles on the car,...) are reasonable questions and when a member feels he cannot share this info - then something is wrong.

A single experience is just that and it is important to capture these single experiences to see if a trend develops but if the board enviroment discourages communications then everyone loses even the manufacturers/vendors.

We all like to think we purchased the best part and are often defensive when someone disagrees. We all have our favorite vendors after all. The facts are there are many quality products on the market and some not so. Same applies to vendors/manufacturers.

I'd like to think that one experince be it negative or positive would not drive the buying processing for any NAM member.

I encourage you to

1) simply post "the facts" as well as post the end results - such as what did the vendor do? or the installer? And I encourage the board to take it as a "shared NAM member experience" and not a product condemnation post.

2) post it in product review. I don't think we post enough in the area.

BahamaBart

Old 05-23-2005, 09:15 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
:smile:
Originally Posted by Ryephile
--->misfit03:

Old 05-23-2005, 09:27 AM
tattman23
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
:smile:
Haha - there can never be too many Misfits!

Motor on,
Tatt

Old 05-23-2005, 11:07 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
I had 2000 miles on the pulley (no real hard driving either), it was simple mistake of either over/forgeting to tighten down the bolts. I will let the manufacturer come out and say it was thier pulley if they want because I know that this pulley has been used on many cars with 60-70k miles. I contacted them and they are sending me a new pulley, they even offered to come to where I live to install it to make sure it is put in correctly.

Only reason I don't reveal who it is will be because I have respect for the people these people, and posting that up here might change other peoples veiws on the purchasing from them. I do not want to be the reason they lose business. So like I said, if they want to come forward they are more than welcome to but I leave it up to them.

Old 05-24-2005, 06:48 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Only reason I don't reveal who it is will be because I have respect for the people these people, and posting that up here might change other peoples veiws on the purchasing from them. I do not want to be the reason they lose business. So like I said, if they want to come forward they are more than welcome to but I leave it up to them.
BS. You aren't saying, because you are getting your mistake taken care of for free and you don't want to lose that opportunity.

If the above were true, this thread wouldn't exist.

Old 05-24-2005, 06:54 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
So the purpose of this thread was to?

Warn us about your experience with the pulley? Doesn't do us any good if we don't know who's pulley it is...

Warn us about your experience with the installer? Still doesn't do us any good if we don't know who the installer is...

Provide us with a lesson learned about your experience? Don't know what we can learn without any real details...

So if anything this was a valueless rant....

Old 05-24-2005, 07:01 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
it was simple mistake of either over/forgeting to tighten down the bolts.
Well, In my experience you dont forget using the torque wrench, It is a kind of a specialty tool and kind of hard to forget whether you used one or not...

Anyway, I think it has been well established that this was an installation issue, And any manufacturer/vendor that has gone to this length to get you back on the road should be praised and comended! If I ever buy a pulley I would go to this company....(me thinks it is ALTA, but that is my quess)

Old 05-24-2005, 07:59 AM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Ok Guys and ladies, he only shared this because he was ranting.. as it says on the bottom of his post. Give him a break, his first time, first pulley I imagine. He has a right to keep his info a secret, if you were in his position wouldn't you?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Pulley came apart