Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Forge Motorsports Top Mount InterCooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Neffarious
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyB
Indeed. I already did a nice 15 minute canyon run with the stock IC last week. When I left the house, the ambient temp, per the MINI's tach display was 101 F. It went up to 102 for a high, and 99 for a low during my run, pretty much an average of 100 degrees...

GRS goes on later today (or tomorrow morn), and if I see ambient temps near 100, I'll do the same run. I get the hood scoop early next week, and will do likewise.

Back to the this Forge unit... Maybe on a dyno, with the hood open, it will yield nice gains with a fan blowing down on it. But, with it's body inhibiting the cool ambient air that would otherwise go through another IC, I can't imagine it being very efficient. I was pretty intrigued intially, but when I saw how it blocks the hood scoop's inlet... it became much easier for me to rule-out as a viable contender.
Its set far enough back in the scoop where it is not blocking the inlet. I will post numbers when i get them. the air is entering the scoop no problem The IC is as far back as the stock one is. air flow in is not being inhibited at all. The only concer coudl be flow over hte top of the ic but wiht a diverter sealing hte chamber up it will have no choice but to flow oever the top of the IC

Old 07-22-2005, 10:22 AM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a thought for you engineering types:

Would it be possible (physically and financially) to build a tapered IC? Such that the front is shorter to not block the airflow, but the back of the IC is, say, the height of the Forge one?

It seems that it would benefit from all possible airflow through the hood scoop by presenting a low initial profile and subsequently catch progressively more air as the height of the IC rises.

Thoughts? Comments? Am I full of BS (I already know the answer to that!)

Oh, and I want royalties if anyone builds it.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Neffarious
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CoryB
Just a thought for you engineering types:

Would it be possible (physically and financially) to build a tapered IC? Such that the front is shorter to not block the airflow, but the back of the IC is, say, the height of the Forge one?

It seems that it would benefit from all possible airflow through the hood scoop by presenting a low initial profile and subsequently catch progressively more air as the height of the IC rises.

Thoughts? Comments? Am I full of BS (I already know the answer to that!)

Oh, and I want royalties if anyone builds it.
just slant the mounts- much easier solution

Old 07-22-2005, 10:26 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I follow what you're saying. If you can, with the changes you made, get a nice photo of the bonnet closed, looking into the scoop. The whole idea is to capture as much air as the scoop can, and direct it downward through the top of the IC, and out of the underside, where there is very little clearance below it...

Old 07-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Neffarious
1st Gear
I think I follow what you're saying. If you can, with the changes you made, get a nice photo of the bonnet closed, looking into the scoop. The whole idea is to capture as much air as the scoop can, and direct it downward through the top of the IC, and out of the underside, where there is very little clearance below it...
Exactly. That's why i am pushing htem to built a diverter and package it with it.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:34 AM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Neffarious
just slant the mounts- much easier solution
Not too much room to slant the front down from the looks of the pictures. Plus there might be sealing/tearing issues with the IC boots being twisted.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:36 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
air flow in is not being inhibited at all. The only concer coudl be flow over hte top of the ic but wiht a diverter sealing hte chamber up it will have no choice but to flow oever the top of the IC
And you determined this how? Seriously, in my mind at least, you've lost a little bit more credibility with each post you've made in this thread.

Hinging your hopes on a diverter has two problems. The first, is that you don't currently have one. The second is that you're forgetting that by restricting the flow (with the side of the intercooler) you're most definitely inhibiting flow. And you're wrong... the air does have a choice other than flowing over the intercooler... pressure buildup in the scoop could prevent it from entering at all.

And as far as the witch-hunters comment... you can't expect to come in here hyping a product, profess to have an "in" with the company and expect people not to question your motives and your "facts". You come off like another vendor trying to sell something - whether that's what your intention is or not.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:43 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
WOW! just got a first glimpse at the Forge IC.

I'm thinking that it's a good thing your "in" with them so that you might get some of your money back. Looks like the Ol Lady might even be able to use it as a mirror w/o even lifting the bonnet.

You HAVE to be having second thoughts at least.
Forge saying that the unit is made that way to avoid engine block heat is crazy.
good luck man, I personnaly think the stock IC with a sprayer is best solution.

James

Old 07-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Neffarious
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JeffS
And you determined this how? Seriously, in my mind at least, you've lost a little bit more credibility with each post you've made in this thread.

Hinging your hopes on a diverter has two problems. The first, is that you don't currently have one. The second is that you're forgetting that by restricting the flow (with the side of the intercooler) you're most definitely inhibiting flow. And you're wrong... the air does have a choice other than flowing over the intercooler... pressure buildup in the scoop could prevent it from entering at all.

And as far as the witch-hunters comment... you can't expect to come in here hyping a product, profess to have an "in" with the company and expect people not to question your motives and your "facts". You come off like another vendor trying to sell something - whether that's what your intention is or not.
Well i don't work for them and i am not selling anything. I ahve an in because their us operations are located in orlando so if need be i can go over there and see them.

As far as the diverter comment are you are saying alta's diverter is no good, or the stock one for that matter? As far as pressure goes, I am not looking to block off all sides of the IC just minic alta's and the stock on where the air is route over the top. I'll post the picture again: Head on view of the scoop:

For the record I am not hyping a product, I was excited about a new toy. Since you already "know" what best so why did you even bother to check this thread out?

Old 07-22-2005, 10:53 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Personally, I started that other thread on this Forge unit a couple months back because I was interested. It was the first aftermkt IC that I was aware of that didn't prevent access to the spark plugs. And the price was/is quite a bit more affordable.

With anti-seize compound working on my spark plugs, my 6 week interval torque checks are no longer needed, thus getting an IC that extends over them is not a concern for me anymore. What is a concern though is an IC that compromises the scoop's flow...

If anything, my intent was to embrace this unit as another contender for our dollar; but it just doesn't seem to merit that status, at least for me, at this time...

Old 07-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Neffarious
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sfjames2
WOW! just got a first glimpse at the Forge IC.

I'm thinking that it's a good thing your "in" with them so that you might get some of your money back. Looks like the Ol Lady might even be able to use it as a mirror w/o even lifting the bonnet.

You HAVE to be having second thoughts at least.
Forge saying that the unit is made that way to avoid engine block heat is crazy.
good luck man, I personnaly think the stock IC with a sprayer is best solution.

James
not really as the reflective picture you saw is not the one on my car. Nice to see jerks abound on the mini forum even more so than on other "lesser" car forums.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:21 AM
obehave
6th Gear
not really as the reflective picture you saw is not the one on my car. Nice to see jerks abound on the mini forum even more so than on other "lesser" car forums.
As a jerk of long standing on this and other forums let me be the first to say;
"Welcome to the club"

To put it less harshly than some...
You have to at least think about the fact that you are presenting a flat surface perpendicular to the air flow. This will build up pressure at that intersection. Can't be avoided.
And I think what Andy's intent was that you are narrowing the flow path. A narrower path with flow faster but will also build pressure faster. This pressure will prevent quality flow through the scoop and IC.
Thus making it less effective.

Don't take this a a personal attack and no one is pi$$ing in your Wheaties.
It's just that the product appears to have issues.
If you're happy with the product, good for you. That's what counts.

Tony;
Hurry up with the data

Old 07-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Personally, I started that other thread on this Forge unit a couple months back because I was interested. It was the first aftermkt IC that I was aware of that didn't prevent access to the spark plugs. And the price was/is quite a bit more affordable.

With anti-seize compound working on my spark plugs, my 6 week interval torque checks are no longer needed, thus getting an IC that extends over them is not a concern for me anymore. What is a concern though is an IC that compromises the scoop's flow...

If anything, my intent was to embrace this unit as another contender for our dollar; but it just doesn't seem to merit that status, at least for me, at this time...
I would pay for a picture of you embracing this unit..............

Old 07-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Neffarious
1st Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
As a jerk of long standing on this and other forums let me be the first to say;
"Welcome to the club"

To put it less harshly than some...
You have to at least think about the fact that you are presenting a flat surface perpendicular to the air flow. This will build up pressure at that intersection. Can't be avoided.
And I think what Andy's intent was that you are narrowing the flow path. A narrower path with flow faster but will also build pressure faster. This pressure will prevent quality flow through the scoop and IC.
Thus making it less effective.

Don't take this a a personal attack and no one is pi$$ing in your Wheaties.
It's just that the product appears to have issues.
If you're happy with the product, good for you. That's what counts.

Tony;
Hurry up with the data
I understand fluid dynamics. Lets jsut leave it at this : i will get some numbers and post them. Until that time anything said is speculation.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:53 AM
obehave
6th Gear
I understand fluid dynamics. Lets jsut leave it at this : i will get some numbers and post them. Until that time anything said is speculation.
That goes both ways.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Neffarious
1st Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
That goes both ways.
Umm where exactly did i mention anything to the contrary?

Old 07-22-2005, 12:01 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skiploder
I would pay for a picture of you embracing this unit..............
Screw the picture! I'll get to embrace YOU next weekend big guy

obe, I've been lagging on the GRS install for a few reasons... While the quality is certainly impecable, I filed down the beads on both of the ovals (inlet and outlet) of the unit. Then wet Emory paper to really clean it up... Also going-in is an OCC (M7). I did some research on how best to connect it (differing opinions), and what I can add to make it more effective (2 copper dish scrubbers a la Petrich, and an inlet down-tube, thanks to jlm). With the OCC and GRS ready to go, I then placed an order for new IC boots(https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...0&page=2&pp=25) that should arrive later today. So... that's why it's not installed just yet

Old 07-22-2005, 01:35 PM
bouray
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JeffS
... pressure buildup in the scoop could prevent it from entering at all.
and .

Old 07-22-2005, 02:22 PM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Old 07-22-2005, 03:24 PM
jlm
6th Gear
tony: use stainless steel scrubbies; and where do you live, more or less? I'm planning a visti to Half-Moon Bay iand surrounds in August. My son is living is Pacifica and my west coast shop is in Oakland.

I have farted around with that intercooler fit and decided that the time is better spent figuring aout a way to mod the motor mounts, dropping the front about 1/2" would make a huge difference.

Old 07-22-2005, 03:42 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Umm where exactly did i mention anything to the contrary?
I never said you were contrary.
I meant that anything you say is just speculation as well.

I must say, you're getting this jerk thing down quite well.
Good for you.

Old 07-22-2005, 03:43 PM
sanddan
4th Gear
TonyB,

What's an OCC?

Old 07-22-2005, 03:58 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sanddan
TonyB,

What's an OCC?
Orange County Chopper

Oil Catch Can actually

Old 07-24-2005, 12:52 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got my stupid laptop working somewhat, just in time to see another thread on this particular IC. Once again I need to say that this Forge IC should not be sold INHO.
Respectfuly, Neffarious, you have a lot to learn about the IC and the air flow needed to make it work right in an MCS.
I also feel that this Forge unit will most likely be worse in performance then the stock IC.
Sorry, but it's garbage in my book.

Old 07-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All's fair in love and numbers.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Forge Motorsports Top Mount InterCooler