Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Forge Motorsports Top Mount InterCooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 05:24 PM
spillman
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it is about time for the NAM administrators to either ask this guy to buy a sponsorship for the site, or dismiss him. If you look at all the posts he has made you will see that almost all (except for 1 for 1st gear and 2 on NAM pet peeves) are pumping and hyping this intercooler. He even stated that the intercooler "cured" his ruff idle.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:47 PM
RedBaronF2001
2nd Gear
If someone in the Virginia/Maryland/North Carolina area wants to lend me temperature logging equipment I will test the Forge IC vs. the stock IC and will post the results here on NAM to put this argument to rest.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Neffarious
1st Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
Just got my stupid laptop working somewhat, just in time to see another thread on this particular IC. Once again I need to say that this Forge IC should not be sold INHO.
Respectfuly, Neffarious, you have a lot to learn about the IC and the air flow needed to make it work right in an MCS.
I also feel that this Forge unit will most likely be worse in performance then the stock IC.
Sorry, but it's garbage in my book.
And your proof is? As for the guy who is telling me to buy a sponsor ship - why? I am not selling anything. Its amazing how many people jsut come into a thread and jump on the bandwagon of getting their jabs in. And it is not beyond the real of possibility that installing the IC did indeed cure my idle problem. If it turns of to not be as good as it is supposed to i will gladly bew a man and say oops i made a mistake. I wonder how many of the bandwagoneers here will actually do the same thing or just slink back behind their keyboards and monitors. I would bet at this point most because its the nature of that type of person.

I will then go to forge and talk to them about improving it. If they do great if not nothing ventured nothing gained.

Old 11-28-2005, 07:14 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
So what was the outcome? Were numbers ever produced on the Forge? Does the fact that it sits up - effect performance? Did Forge make any changes to the IC pictured here? Is this baby worth considering ? or should one stick w/ Alta or GRS? others?

Old 11-28-2005, 08:04 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just stick with the Alta.. ....

Old 11-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Neffarious
1st Gear
Well i have been really busy but the out come is they redesigned the unit with a diverter up top and i don't yet know what else. I am waiting to hear back from them for a time to go to the dyno and do some street runs with IAT sensors in place for logging.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:13 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Just stick with the GRS....

If you value Randy Webb's testing he scored the GRS slightly better.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:06 PM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...has anyone considered designing the bonnet and the IC as a system? The limitation is in many ways the location of the IC, but part of the hindrance is the bonnet...I've got lots of sketches. Sadly, no wind tunnel...

Old 11-28-2005, 02:31 PM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by obehave
Just stick with the GRS....

If you value Randy Webb's testing he scored the GRS slightly better.
Where is that Webb test result?

Old 11-28-2005, 02:45 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
ive heard that the alta has had some fitment issues? is this true?

Old 11-28-2005, 02:50 PM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by skuzy
ive heard that the alta has had some fitment issues? is this true?
It takes some cutting away of the stock IC mounting points for the absolute perfect fit.
When istalling any aftermarket IC, you should take the time to trim, clear, and clean the surounding area to maximize flow.

Old 11-28-2005, 04:58 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
Where is that Webb test result?
Well, much to my surprise Randy has not only oulled the information he has taken the IC off his products page.

WTF is up with that??

Here's the review link.
I also know because I bought one and I talked to Randy at a RIchmond VA pulley party.

Alta pressure may be

I love conspiracies.

Edit:

OK....now it's back on the store pages

Old 11-28-2005, 05:27 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Here is a pic through the scoop of my GRS I installed last week. I think it didn't block the scoop much. Rather it fills the scoop and grabs tons of air. The scoops is a M7 scoop.
What do you all think?

Old 11-28-2005, 06:58 PM
onasled
Banned
Here is my M7 scoop with my mods on it which basically is a widened opening. That's the Alta IC in there, still the best top mount IC out there as far as I'm concerned. More surface area then the others by a good amount.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:24 PM
discodan
5th Gear
found Randy's link for his GRS review:
http://store.webbmotorsports.com/for...?t=643&start=0

Old 11-28-2005, 09:57 PM
xianqi
2nd Gear
The intercooler that blocks the inlet gave me an idea, i just wanted to float out there.. How about an intercooler that blocks the inlet path but is actually has the fins vertically instead of horrizonal, that way it continues to flow through the intercooler. Of course the challenge with this as i see it is as the are goes past the front fins the cooling will decrease towards the back, as it will pick up more heat from the intercooler... i'm just curious about the overall efficiency of the design.

On the actual forge product, with the intercooler, as we all know.. the main items of concern are inlet vs outlet temperature change and pressure drop. I was curious if Neffarious ever tested this.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:50 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I intimated above about a bonnet/IC designed together - a flow-thru system much like is done with many radiators in race type applications. This would require lifting the back of the IC up a bit, perhaps moving it a bit forward in the enginebay to drop the front as well, then forming a bonnet that has an opening behind the IC. This part of the bonnet would also have to reside above the valve cover - which means it will also reside under the IC. The only way to make sure such a system will work is with the aid of a wind tunnel.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:56 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Here is a pic through the scoop of my GRS I installed last week. I think it didn't clock the scoop much. Rather it fills the scoop and grabs tons of air. The scoops is a M7 scoop.
What do you all think?

from your pic, it appears that the GRS fits perfectly, I don't see that it blocks the scoop at all. It appears level to the bottom ofth escoop opening w./ just the end welds poking up a bit but in no way is this like the Forge pics. The Alta seems to sit a tad below the scoop. Both seem as viable upgrades. Does anyone have the GTT intercooler?