Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Need light ? I need 200whp? How?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 03:37 PM
electricblue
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need light ? I need 200whp? How?

If somebody know a combination of mods that give 200whp with out nitrous or twin charge.In case for mcs.:impatient

Old 08-29-2005, 03:47 PM
BelowRadar
3rd Gear
It has been "unofficially" decided that this isn't happening with bolt-ons (at this time in the MCS aftermarket world).

Do a search. I saw multiples threads where people were discussing this very topic over the weekend.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:20 PM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a firm in the U.S., but GTT has a solid reputation in Europe and has packages to get you the power: http://www.gtt.uk.com/packages.asp

Old 08-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by electricblue
If somebody know a combination of mods that give 200whp with out nitrous or twin charge.In case for mcs.:impatient
depending on your base line WHP that is easy...

intake, pulley, exhust, and afc tuned properly could get that....I have no afc and have 188WHP with an afc could prolly get 10 WHP which would put me at 198 WHP...

the other thing...and this will garuntee it...

intake, pulley, exhaust, AFC, and head/cam...as you can see here made 207 WHP

Old 08-29-2005, 04:42 PM
spillman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BelowRadar
It has been "unofficially" decided that this isn't happening with bolt-ons (at this time in the MCS aftermarket world).

Do a search. I saw multiples threads where people were discussing this very topic over the weekend.
Excuse me? I pulled over 200whp with only bolt on mods. I had 19% pulley with 4% crank, JCW injectors, GIAC ECU, Alta intake, Alta TMIC (water sprayer was off), Megan header, NRP Exhaust. I have an AFC now and just need to tune it. I should be in the 210's with strictly bolt ons.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:25 PM
BelowRadar
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by spillman
Excuse me? I pulled over 200whp with only bolt on mods. I had 19% pulley with 4% crank, JCW injectors, GIAC ECU, Alta intake, Alta TMIC (water sprayer was off), Megan header, NRP Exhaust. I have an AFC now and just need to tune it. I should be in the 210's with strictly bolt ons.
I guess I should have said that 200whp isn't attainable with bolt-ons (intake, chip, header, exhaust, IC, etc.), mated with a -19% SC pulley or smaller reduction (including -15% SC +4% crank or -17% SC +2% crank).

-19% SC pulley and +4% crank...you're a brave soul. Congrats and good luck.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:36 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
????19% SC pulley +4% crank..ur' a brave soul .....???

same here! ( good luck indeed.....)
I guess I should have said that 200whp isn't attainable with bolt-ons (intake, chip, header, exhaust, IC, etc.), mated with a -19% SC pulley or smaller reduction (including -15% SC +4% crank or -17% SC +2% crank).

Old 08-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus

again...a 15% pulley, intake, exhaust, AFC and HEad/cam....ALL BOLT ONs were used to attain

207WHP!

I posted the link above in my PREVIOUS post...and I belive the car coulda made more...but those guys ran out of time...it was just getting late and the dyno was closing so they never got it dialed in like they woulda liked...not to mention that was in some 100 + degrees...imagine when it's kewler!!

Old 08-30-2005, 07:42 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
Maybe BelowRadar wasn't thinking of a head & cam as a bolt-on, since it's a good bit pricier and more extensive. But I think you're right that a head & cam replacement does seem to be the key to breaking the 200 whp barrier.

Of course, our brave friend Spillman has taken a different path. Clearly he's willing to take on the risk to get the performance. If he has a failure, he'll have to deal with it. But isn't that the case for all of us?

In any event, it would be interesting to do a driving comparison between these two cars. Dyno runs and peak numbers don't always tell the whole story.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
I have a 2005 MCS with 15% Alta pulley and CAI 62 mm TB, MTH Tuner Map, and Milltek exhaust. Last dyno (using 95 octane) was 194 WHP and that was before Milltek.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:13 AM
BelowRadar
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eMINI
Maybe BelowRadar wasn't thinking of a head & cam as a bolt-on, since it's a good bit pricier and more extensive. But I think you're right that a head & cam replacement does seem to be the key to breaking the 200 whp barrier.
Yeah, I don't consider custom fabricated heads or a port matched intake manifolds bolt-ons. I didn't know anyone else did, either. I mean, "technically" you bolt-on a turbo too.

In any case, I stand corrected. With enough money and a desire to experiment with daring pulley combos, it has been shown that you can get 200whp out of the engine. However, 200whp through bolt-ons is NOT easily attainable. It also only seems attainable in some circumstances. One of these circumstances seems to be baseline (as someone mentioned). Tuls - I think your 162.07whp is the highest stock rating I have ever heard of. I've been told that my 156.9 seems pretty high...even for an '05. Some think it's because it was done on a DynoJet instead of a Mustang. Out of my own curiosity--not wanting to start a dyno comparison discussion--what kind of dyno did your '04 do 162.07 on?

As for tried-and-tested bolt-on parts such as intake, exhaust, -19% SC pulley, chip, header, and IC, I haven't seen anyone pulling 200whp. Also, I know the A'pex-i does a better job of leaning out the a/f, and can gain a consistent 10whp straight from stock, but I don't see it as the miracle component proponents have dubbed it as to push people over the 200whp mark. Out the gate, the first mod anyone adds to their car gives a nice return. Then people start playing the adding game. Well, if I do intake it will give me 7hp, A'pex-i will give me 10hp, exhaust will give me 5hp, etc. Boo-ya 200whp! It just doesn't seem to work out. The higher you go--and specifically around the 190whp mark--the hill gets steeper and harder to climb.

In the context of someone trying to hit 200whp with only bolt-ons from stock without a baseline dyno, I just think it is misleading and wishful to flatly say it can be done. Unless you want to replace every major component in the engine and/or risk the longevity of it, I'm going to remain skeptical. I mean, I'm no engineer, but our little Chrysler engine has its power and durability limits.

Forgive me if I sound pessimistic. I'm not trying to be a jerk about this bolt-on 200whp-thing. For those who have done it, congratulations. Really, it must be a great feeling to get those numbers--especially considering the amount of money and time you must have had to put into your car. I just chimed in because there are dozens of people on this board trying to get 200whp with just bolt-ons (that have spent a LOT of money), and can't seem to do it. It makes me think (again) that comparing numbers doesn't mean anything. For whatever reason, I see that what has been done on one car can't be done on another...or, what has been on one dyno can't be duplicated on another. Science is about predictability based on consistency, and the more I come on this board, the less consistency I see. Once again, I'm not trying to discount people who have gotten great numbers out of their cars...congrats. I'm just thinking out loud about numbers in general, and what they mean when it comes to predicting what my car vs. your car vs. his/her car can and will do.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by eMINI
again this is the problem...everyone want CHEAP WHP...there is no such thing...and yes head/cam is not cheap but it is a bolt on...

you guys asked a question...I gave you an answer...but cheap? then use NOS...other wise buck up and drop some cash...it will be reliable and you WILL feel the difference in how the car pulls

Old 08-30-2005, 11:31 AM
bouray
3rd Gear
Compared to JCW, the aftermarket stuff IS cheap HP! and juice is nice.

Originally Posted by Tuls
...everyone want CHEAP WHP...there is no such thing...

Old 08-30-2005, 12:57 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If, by "juice", you mean NOS, then !!!

NOS is useless garbage in "the real world". Unfortunately, we don't drive in the ideal Fast and Furious movie scenarios, or like the Need For Speed: Underground video game scenarios. Your MINI, and any car for that matter, should make reliable horsepower on its' own; without the use of juice. Nitrous is not the best answer. Yes, it is pretty cheap, but it is potentially dangerous/explosive (in the hands of an uneducated newbie), and certainly not a continuous source of power--(the tank can, and will become empty)!

Your money will be much better spent on power upgrades you can ALWAYS count on, like a pulley, headers, exhaust, ecu upgrade, etc. They're safer and always there, pulling for you. Those are my two cents, anyway...

Old 08-30-2005, 01:07 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Just to further explain my stance on nitrous...

Everyone who saw the Fast and the Furious couldn't help but be seduced (on some level) with the awe and wonder of nitrous. The wonderful red button on the shift **** that gave you a "Turbo Boost" effect as seen way back on the best TV show of our childhoods, "KNIGHT RIDER". It is certainly appealing to have that huge, instant jump in horsepower, no doubt.

But when I see a show car with a bottle of NOS in the trunk proudly displayed, instead of intimidation, or respect for a fellow modder's choice in modding, I kinda feel let down; like they "took the easy way out". I feel like nitrous is kinda a fad; like spinners. One guy has it, so now we all have to get it, to be "in the know", and accepted.

Well, I disagree. When you can make the serious power WITHOUT nitrous--that'll earn much more repect from me, and I would bet a lot more of you too...

Don't mean to upset nitrous users here, seriously. Again, my two cents...

Old 08-30-2005, 01:08 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Once you start adding in headwork, ported manifolds, etc. the price climbs pretty quickly. Once you get into the $6k range, you may want to ponder why not just twincharge it for 250 whp and WAY more torque than non-turbo setups, while keeping the rest of the engine stock.

Originally Posted by electricblue

Old 08-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
I have a 16% pulley, and an intake and I already pull strongly beside both of my friends WRX's (2nd gear pulls), usually edging out one, and the other edging me out a bit.

I guess you have to ask WHY you want to make 200 hp. Is it so you can brag to people at the burger shop on Friday nights? Are you going to really notice that much of a difference between 190 and 200 hp on the street? Or even on the Auto-x course for that matter?

If you wanted high horsepower numbers you should have bought a used WRX, slapped on some cheap used STI parts and called it a day. You could easially have 300+ hp, and it would be cheaper than a MCS w/ options.

I think its great that people are breaking hp limits with this car, but this car isn't a high hp tuner for the average consumer. Like any other car I've built its a matter of how much money you want to spend. There are some shortcuts (like junkyard turbos on a honda d-series) but those engines usually don't last long. Sure you could have a 500hp mini, or a 700 hp civic...but your going to spend almost as much as you paid for the car, and your reliability is going to be *****.

180 whp in a car that weighs 2500lbs is pretty quick for most things you'll want to do, add to that some of the best handling characteristics in the automotive world and you have a great combo. If an MCS w/ a pulley, intake, header, exhaust, and ECU isnt quick enough for you, you probably should have bought another car. Just my $.02

-Jake

Old 08-30-2005, 01:38 PM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
a friend of mine with right around 200 whp ran against my oldest brothers lightly modded wrx (ecu remap and exhaust) and the wrx beat him off he line and by then end of the run around 80 mph or so the MINI won by half a MINI length! Of course my friend with the MINI is one AWESOME driver!

Old 08-30-2005, 01:39 PM
trickedmotoring
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
Just to further explain my stance on nitrous...

Everyone who saw the Fast and the Furious couldn't help but be seduced (on some level) with the awe and wonder of nitrous. The wonderful red button on the shift **** that gave you a "Turbo Boost" effect as seen way back on the best TV show of our childhoods, "KNIGHT RIDER". It is certainly appealing to have that huge, instant jump in horsepower, no doubt.

But when I see a show car with a bottle of NOS in the trunk proudly displayed, instead of intimidation, or respect for a fellow modder's choice in modding, I kinda feel let down; like they "took the easy way out". I feel like nitrous is kinda a fad; like spinners. One guy has it, so now we all have to get it, to be "in the know", and accepted.

Well, I disagree. When you can make the serious power WITHOUT nitrous--that'll earn much more repect from me, and I would bet a lot more of you too...

Don't mean to upset nitrous users here, seriously. Again, my two cents...
im not big on nitrous either, but i dont agrre with your statement. that whole fast and furious comment is a bunch of bull. i with people that have cars that make triple our power with out spray that still use it. Aad even before the movies nitrous has been used everywhere. look at the easy street drag cars.... wait they use nitrous too.(http://www.esxmotorsports.com/home.htm) believe it or not, it makes power, but yes it can be alittle on the dangerous side... i guess maybe, but like i said the people that i know have been running it for many miles and years.

Old 08-30-2005, 02:00 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
I fully agree that nitrous makes GOBS of power--that was never in question. I just think many of us newbie tuners were easily seduced by what Hollywood promised nitrous could to for our Civics, Jettas, etc.

There's no doubt, in a professional setting, like your pro drag racers, that nitrous is a great way to add power. But don't you forget that those same drag racers rebuild their engines completely almost every time they run down the track!

I don't know about you, but I can't begin to commit that level of maintenance to my daily driver MCS!

I'm not saying that by slapping a 50 shot of NOS onto your MINI, you'll have to rebuild your engine often, or ever, but I truly believe that nitrous is too risky to play with for the newbie tuner, like what I gather the author of this thread might very well be...

Old 08-30-2005, 02:23 PM
spillman
5th Gear
Come on now you make it seem as if installing a nitrous kit is rocket science. The hardest part is mounting the Nozzle. Other then that it's just a bunch of wires to run and a nitrous line to run. The fuel line just screws right into the test port on the fuel rail. It's pretty much idiot proof unless you try to make your own system.

I agree that nitrous is the poor man's way of power. But the look on the old man's face today, that was driving a c5 Corvette, was well worth the bashing that comes with using n20.

And also to all you guys and gals out there that think my setup is "daring and dangerous...." Come on now I am not over revving the super charger until 6,500 rpm. It's not dangerous for street cars and I am sure all of don't drive around town above 6,500 rpm. I really wish I could take you nay sayers for a ride... I am sure that would change your mind.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:53 PM
electricblue
1st Gear
thank's for the advised but the mini is my daily driven car..I have a civic hb '92 with k20r swap normal apirated it pull 292 whp and the wrx are my son's.. 11.92 in 1/4 miles i think i don't need a wrx..
Originally Posted by Coop d'etat
I have a 16% pulley, and an intake and I already pull strongly beside both of my friends WRX's (2nd gear pulls), usually edging out one, and the other edging me out a bit.

I guess you have to ask WHY you want to make 200 hp. Is it so you can brag to people at the burger shop on Friday nights? Are you going to really notice that much of a difference between 190 and 200 hp on the street? Or even on the Auto-x course for that matter?

If you wanted high horsepower numbers you should have bought a used WRX, slapped on some cheap used STI parts and called it a day. You could easially have 300+ hp, and it would be cheaper than a MCS w/ options.

I think its great that people are breaking hp limits with this car, but this car isn't a high hp tuner for the average consumer. Like any other car I've built its a matter of how much money you want to spend. There are some shortcuts (like junkyard turbos on a honda d-series) but those engines usually don't last long. Sure you could have a 500hp mini, or a 700 hp civic...but your going to spend almost as much as you paid for the car, and your reliability is going to be *****.

180 whp in a car that weighs 2500lbs is pretty quick for most things you'll want to do, add to that some of the best handling characteristics in the automotive world and you have a great combo. If an MCS w/ a pulley, intake, header, exhaust, and ECU isnt quick enough for you, you probably should have bought another car. Just my $.02

-Jake

Old 08-30-2005, 05:26 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Well you obviously are not afraid to drop 8-10K on an engine for a car...My question still stands though...why do you want "200" hp vs. 190 or 180?

Also (from one Honda tuner to another) why did you choose the 20r vs. building a cheaper 20a? You obviously are running at least cams, and pistons to put down 292 from a 20r...which is part of the reason to get a 20r over a 20a...just curious.

Old 08-30-2005, 05:40 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
A couple of things,

No truer words than after 190 the $ gets steep.....yes it does.

My car made 214 whp last go and I am going to add ported intake and probably an endyn modified SC. (I am bidding on ebay for a core as I write this) I would like to get 225 whp

Knowing now what I know....I would look long and hard at a twin charge.....I would have saved a lot of money and had more power......it's too late now.....and I am not unhappy with my car but damn I have spent some $

Old 08-30-2005, 05:52 PM
electricblue
1st Gear
my first choise was the k20a but a has a great deal wih the k20r and tranny have shorter shifts, yes it has jun stage 3 cams, 13:1 forge pistons and every think you can image. And for the 200 whp i new in the mini bussines and went a start to find info in what kind of mods are for the mcs a saw 200 whp in this car is the number that every body want and i brought this car for my daily use for the look and like you see i have the need to speed in the blood i don't image me in a stock car that was a want 200whp a think is not to extreme number for risk my daily car.
Originally Posted by Coop d'etat
Well you obviously are not afraid to drop 8-10K on an engine for a car...My question still stands though...why do you want "200" hp vs. 190 or 180?

Also (from one Honda tuner to another) why did you choose the 20r vs. building a cheaper 20a? You obviously are running at least cams, and pistons to put down 292 from a 20r...which is part of the reason to get a 20r over a 20a...just curious.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Need light ? I need 200whp? How?