Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain In Praise of the MCS Air Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 06:39 AM
ignote
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by norm03s
So I made some minor changes and am using the new OEM filter which I think I'll call Pinkie.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:30 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah! closed off all the holes I had drilled ( WEBB Mod ) in cowl partition from other CAI system I made except for the one where the box base seals with it. That is enlarged to match the 2"+ PVC pipe with rubber seal to seal with cowl partition. The Alta intake hose is matched in size to a SS velocity stack which sits in a neoprene gasket so no dirt or hot air can get into the clean side of the air box top. The stack would slip over the stock nipple before I cut it out of the way to fit this into the top.
Has anyone else noticed that the stock air box is also used to cool the ECU?
There are discreet vents in the ECU holder that pull air around the ECU and into the base.

Last edited by norm03s; 10-16-2006 at 07:33 PM. Reason: word
Old 10-16-2006, 05:37 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by norm03s
Yeah! closed off all the holes I had drilled ( WEBB Mod ) in cowl partition from other CAI system I made except for the one where the box base seals with it. That is enlarged to match the 2"+ PVC pipe with rubber seal to seal with patrician. The Alta intake hose is matched in size to a SS velocity stack which sits in a neoprene gasket so no dirt or hot air can get into the clean side of the air box top. The stack would slip over the stock nipple before I cut it that away to fit this into the top.
Has anyone else noticed that the stock air box is also used the cool the ECU?
There are discreet vents in the ECU holder that pull air around the ECU and into the base.
no sh$t? i didn't know that . i'll look at this this weekend . i sure don't wanna overheat the computer . thx .

Old 10-16-2006, 06:26 PM
princeofwaldo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Coop d'etat
I can't say that I agree with you.

After this free mod : https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...7&page=1&pp=25 I like the fact that I still spent $0 on an intake.

Some things that I dont like about the stock airbox:

1. Flow. My 05 MCS died at 5500 w/ the stock airbox. With my free mod it now pulls strong all the way to redline+

2. Sound. If you like the sound of the stock airbox, you'll love the sound of my mod (or an aftermarket one).

I'm glad that you're amped about the stock box, but I for one found it rather dull.
Shouldn't die at 5500 no matter which airbox is there. I had the dealer install the JCW sound-kit on my MC for the same reasons you mention about sound. It just sounds more agressive even if it doesn't add much in HP.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:28 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Paper is an excellent filter medium and is enhanced further will an application of oil; however, the stock panel filter has too much oil on it so it becomes saturated with dirt quickly. The downside is the A/F mixture becomes richer when air flow is blocked along with potential contaminates. Wix makes a replacement paper panel filter that has less oil on it so service life should be longer (I replaced the stock elements at about 4,000 miles of use). Another plus is an increase in the number of pleats to 80 resulting in greater surface area which should equate to more flow. Even more good news, NAPA filters are made by Wix so getting one should be easier than a trip to the dealership; MCS #2800, Cooper #2799.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:06 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
ITG makes a foam flat panel replacement. myminiparts.com carries them.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by k-huevo
Paper is an excellent filter medium and is enhanced further will an application of oil; however, the stock panel filter has too much oil on it so it becomes saturated with dirt quickly. The downside is the A/F mixture becomes richer when air flow is blocked along with potential contaminates. Wix makes a replacement paper panel filter that has less oil on it so service life should be longer (I replaced the stock elements at about 4,000 miles of use). Another plus is an increase in the number of pleats to 80 resulting in greater surface area which should equate to more flow. Even more good news, NAPA filters are made by Wix so getting one should be easier than a trip to the dealership; MCS #2800, Cooper #2799.
I had put a NAPA filter in my black car, but it didn't look anything like this one. It was that orange color paper, i'll see if I can find it and post a pic.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:05 AM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
ITG makes a foam flat panel replacement. myminiparts.com carries them.
for frugal buyers, uni also makes a foam flat panel replacement filter which is less than half the cost of the itg. you can get the uni oil at motorcycle shops.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:33 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
k-huevo thanks for the update

Originally Posted by k-huevo
Always liked WIX products, will have to put one in next filter change.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:34 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
JCW airbox with K&N filter