Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Seeking a good street/track brake pad

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 02:01 PM
Sleepless
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan to take my MCS to the track a couple of times, hopefully in March and I want to try some pads that are hopefully better than stock. I don't want to go with track-only pads. I haven't been able to find anything other than EBC Greenstuff when searching all the aftermarket companies.

I replaced the stock brake fluid with some Castrol SRF and did several 60 to zero stops to get a feel for the brake fade and I must say that I was a bit disappointed; the stock brakes fade quite a bit after after the 3rd stop. I need better brakes than that for the local track, Pacific Raceways, which is fairly hard on brakes. I'm probably quite spoiled since my main track car is a Boxster S which has the most amazing brakes!

I'd rather not jump on a big brake kit since I don't plan to track the car more than a couple of times.

I wouldn't expect aftermarket rotors to do much so it seems that pads are my only choice for an improvement in fade resistence.

So, what is the word on some good street/track pads.

Thanks in advance,
Sleepless

Old 02-08-2003, 02:18 PM
Thechandler81
4th Gear
Have you looked into the performance brake lines? I konw that they do help somewhat in easing brake fade, and for track racing I would really recommend getting them, for safety as much as performance.

Old 02-08-2003, 02:44 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sleepless,

I have a set of EBC Reds on a car here, and so far they are much better than stock. They have similar feel on the street to stock, but handle temps much better than stock on the track. I'll keep you posted once the snow melts off the track here as to how they work on the track.

Ferodo also now makes a pad for the car, but in my past experience with Ferodo, they are a little tougher on rotors. I plan to get a set for evaluation and check that out.

The Castrol, a good set of pads, and a slotted rotor should be all you need for occasional track days. You won't get up to that Boxster in brake feel though .

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Randy

Old 02-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Sleepless
3rd Gear
I didn't realize the EBC Reds are for the for the street also. I'll have to check them out.

Which slotted rotors do you recommend?

My first chance to go to the track is March 10 so I don't have a huge amount of time to get setup. So, I'm hoping the snow melts for you soon so you can post some results on the EBC Reds and Ferodos. From the description of their compounds, it seems to me that the 2500 compound is for street/track. Do you think the 3000 compound is okay for street/cold temp use?

Which of these items do you carry?

Thanks,
Sleepless