Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Valvetrain..

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 09:33 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cosmic Purple
In this great age of scientific enilightment, where does "hammered very hard" fit in? Does that mean the engine was revved up to 8000 for however many seconds repeatedly or held at 8000 rpms continually for this many seconds? I don't think this would go over well in a science class.

I do want to make it clear that i am not promoting any vendor over the other. I think we should support as many vendors as we can. But i do think if a vendor is going to promote a product as safe, tried and tested, then "hammered very hard" should be an objective measurement observed through a rational scientic approach.
The car in question is a 99% race car. It is considered a little scary for street driving . It runs all day long at the track, a couple of weekends a month, at least in summer. This is summer IN FLORIDA. Not sure of exactly how many, but with the current setup it has logged more than 20k miles, many being, as per above, at the track.

This is hardcore track racing, I assure you, at Homestead Motorspeedway, at regular Porsche Club of America events, amongst others. The revs are held near to or at 8k rpm for extended periods of time, lap after lap. It's reliable.

EDIT: Again, I guess this may not be specific enough, so let me elaborate. The car has NEVER had anything fail on it, except for the power steering fan, which overheated in the summer during an event. The engine has never failed, the supercharger is still running strong [and this is with 19% reduction and no vibration dampener]. Hell, when the PS fan DID fail, the MINI dealership the car is taken to even replaced it UNDER WARRANTY, in part because the car was/is considered good for their sales. Who to? All of the Porsche club owners who the car embarasses day in and out ;-).

Old 11-26-2005, 09:59 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmic Purple
In this great age of scientific enilightment, where does "hammered very hard" fit in? Does that mean the engine was revved up to 8000 for however many seconds repeatedly or held at 8000 rpms continually for this many seconds? I don't think this would go over well in a science class.

I do want to make it clear that i am not promoting any vendor over the other. I think we should support as many vendors as we can. But i do think if a vendor is going to promote a product as safe, tried and tested, then "hammered very hard" should be an objective measurement observed through a rational scientic approach.
So you are saying that "Hammered very hard" is to simple of a verbage for you
and I Have to use scietific terms to make it clear that No problems where
encountered while testing at the track Sorry Cosmic thats all you are getting for now

We will have an official release of the software this week with some
dyno # and more.....

peter
TeamM7
562-608-8123

Old 11-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Cosmic Purple
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I'm saying that 8000+ rpm is a lot and should not be taken lightly without considering other mods to the car. As you mentioned earlier, 400cc injectors are a very good start. But without further stuctural adjustments and modifications to the car, it can be quite risky to go around revving up these rpm's. That should be made very clear to all.

How do you know there is not much valve float? Have you checked out what the valves are doing when revving that high? If yes, how? Just a straight forward common sense answer describing the technique would be fine.

I wish you well in your new software release. Since you are so confident in your "hammered very hard" R & D, is there a warranty that comes with it... just in case something does explode?

Old 11-26-2005, 11:26 PM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Mr. Cosmic Purple --- How does one objectively evaluate valve flotation? Also, what kind of warranty should the purveyor supply? Bottom line: Caveat emptor...

Old 11-26-2005, 11:59 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Cosmic......

I never said that this is the answer for everybody, nor do I expect a ton
of sales of this very performance oriented software upgrade. The person buying this package will be more then aware that certain risks are associated with raising the rpm to the 8000+ level.

Customers that will buy this software has also upgraded to many other parts like 19% pulleys, 2-4% crank pulleys, Turbos Etc, which in them self’s has certain risks.

For a part being tested thoroughly, I think we have done better then most,
by testing it in an environment of maximum wear and pressure, the race track. As of now, the software has been tested for over six month's with
absolutely no problems or extra wear on the car. And remember the test car was using stock valve springs, stock rocker arms, retainers and valves.

Again this is only an option, nothing more nothing less, and if you feel less then then confident with this option, please don't buy it.

peter
Team M7
562-608-8123

Old 11-27-2005, 12:25 AM
MSFIT
6th Gear
You did talk about recommending injector upgrade. Now I jave a JCW, if I were to get this software would I be ok with your 16% pulley too?

Also I do not plan on taking it to >8000 very often lol. But to have the ability to is just so cool that I want it

Old 11-27-2005, 12:34 AM
M7
Former Vendor
Feel confident, your JCW injectors will be great with the our ECU uppgrade

peter
Team M7
562-608-8123

Old 11-27-2005, 12:38 AM
MSFIT
6th Gear
awesome!! so..this might sound kinda noobish how does this work? is it a piggy back or is it like I send you my ecu and you send it back? Or I drive to LA :P would make for a fun road trip

Old 11-27-2005, 12:43 AM
M7
Former Vendor
You send me the ECU, we will have the software loaded on to your unit
and we will send it back to you.....

peter
TeamM7
562-608-8123

Old 11-27-2005, 05:12 AM
jlm
6th Gear
"... the rpm that we can extract out of the stock ECU. The maximum rpm is 8200, but we will set it at 8120rpm.

The cool thing is that you can be running a 16% pulley and by revving the engine to 8120rpm, extract more boost and horse power from your super charger in a safer manner......

We are doing some dyno runs this week so you can see what the software does at > 7000rpm on a lightly modified MINI and also on a Cosworth modified"

does the ECU have some sort of rpm wall besides the rev limit? Ingsoc reporrted the track car was revving to 8500.

at 8100 and a 16% pulley, that blower must be going fast and hot...what is the air temp like on your track car? didn't Ingsoc say the car he speaks about was running a 19% and 250 degrees or so? Nevertheless, if the car has been tracked hard and works, that speaks volumes, although some of the data needs to be firmed up; looking forward to your dyno runs.

Last edited by jlm; 11-27-2005 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:01 AM
Cosmic Purple
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RECOOP
Mr. Cosmic Purple --- How does one objectively evaluate valve flotation? Also, what kind of warranty should the purveyor supply?
I would like to say i'm all for high revs. I started by saying that there are others like BBR in England who have put the engine to the test on a dyno to the point of failure and seeing what caused the failure. Daivid Brodie at BBR has said that between 7200 and 8200 rpm, valve float can be detected by looking at the HP curve on the dyno and seeing somehat of a decrease in power at these rpms relative to the 4000 - 7200 range. The solid tappets that they sell are a remedy for this.
The other thing they observed both with this dyno and in a customer carat over 8000 rpm was the crank "spinning" and a rod coming through the block. For that they came up with the crank timmer disc i gave the shortcut to above to not stop this from happening but to minimize damage if it did.
So, all i'm advocating for here is a little caution and safety. And if our vendors can help us to rev up that that high, to work on providing the hardware that supports the software. And yes i'm sure even with that , there will still only be a few who are interested in pushing it to the limit.

Old 11-27-2005, 06:50 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
Ingsoc reported the track car was revving to 8500.

at 8100 and a 16% pulley, that blower must be going fast and hot...what is the air temp like on your track car? didn't Ingsoc say the car he speaks about was running a 19% and 250 degrees or so? Nevertheless, if the car has been tracked hard and works, that speaks volumes, although some of the data needs to be firmed up; looking forward to your dyno runs.
That's what the IAT gauge [not sure where it's sitting in the path] read on one hundred degree day in the summer. The car does run a 19%, at least in recent history [it's an '02...I'm pretty sure half of the people here right now wouldn't even know what I'm talking about if I said that it runs a full HAMANN header and catback system ($$$$$ !!!!)].

The engine's redline, I cannot attest to. I was told 8500, and it is certainly over 8000 since the tach pegs and it revs some more, but what it is I cannot regrettably say. 8125 or whatever is high enough for me. I can't even SEE the rpm at that point . heh. For those really wanting the most possible, I'm sure you can discuss the possibilities with M7.

One more thing: since the car in question is a track car, holding high rpms for long periods of time, I really think that the danger on the street pales in comparison. When I met my friend, I asked him politely if he was psychotic. I was really skeptical given the attitude of most people I'd seen here with regard to high rpms and SC speed and all. But, he just laughed and proved me wrong . Now, I have just about no fear having it on my car for a few reasons:

1) I am only going to be up at 8k maybe a couple of times a week, except for when I hit the track myself . It's like a hidden go button that lets me have even more fun.
2) I'm only going to be there for a few milliseconds. Compared to 20, 30 seconds on the banking at Homestead, above 7k, lap after lap, that's kinda insignificant .

Old 11-28-2005, 10:41 AM
uae mini
3rd Gear
Here is a question.. that gets you somewhere

If I had the ecu power, valve train, and say pistons just incase.. well I will be fitting a autorotor someday.. what will be the bottle neck at this point to get to 9000+? How does gearing come into the picture.. closer ratios would be better I think

I'm serious

It will be a future track car (well I do track the car on the roads.. my friends don't like to ride with me some actually have fun).. you can't have too many track cars

Any blue printed and balaced race spec engines for sale soon?

Old 11-28-2005, 12:20 PM
fiesta dan
Neutral
will this be available in the uk?

Old 11-28-2005, 04:07 PM
jm6001
3rd Gear
M7 what would the Product numbers on the springs and retainers be from Ferrea? If you would not like to say over the board then just PM me...
Thanks,
Jm

Old 11-28-2005, 05:03 PM
jlm
6th Gear
stock vs Ferrea ex valves

Last edited by jlm; 01-18-2006 at 04:16 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:59 AM
uae mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
stock vs Ferrea ex valves
Looking smooth... How do you calculate the performance increase in the form of air of these valves?

Old 11-30-2005, 04:20 AM
jlm
6th Gear
the goal in addressing the area behind the seat is to, as smoothly as possible, change the direction of the flow as it slams into the vave back and efficiently direct that flow into the opening gap between the seat and the seal area on the valve. There is much shaping of the seat area and that smooth valve tulip. same ideas apply to the departing exhaust gases.

check out these pics showing a peek into a before and after ex port, and a finished cc.

Endyn headwork shown. He uses laminar flow to observe the flow lines as they pass through the port.

Last edited by jlm; 01-18-2006 at 04:16 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:16 AM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Now i know im about to bring up a different beast here.....but.....i know a friend of mine had a honda civic si. Stock valvetrain and stock internals, just small bolt on's. Just your typical ricer. He bought a type R ecu i think? Anyways Redline was 9500! He took that motor to 9500 almost all the time....now some of u might think he might have a set for goin that high but i just think he didnt have a brain . The motor never threw a rod, never bent a valve, and never blew a head gasket. It just amazed me when im behind him and that thing is screaming at 9k if not more goin down the highway and nothing blew up.

But for the few of us that are willing to go that high, how are the stock internals gonna hold up, not so much the piston's but im thinking more along the line of the crank and the main bearings on the end caps of the rods. I know ive been reading the post about the track car that see's 8k+ and its held up so far. But has there been any more metallic colors in the oil, showing signs of wear??

Old 11-30-2005, 05:43 AM
J Propane
5th Gear
Edit: Never mind. The big screen helped.

JP

Old 12-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Strom
4th Gear
Any word on the testing, Peter?

Old 12-07-2005, 11:59 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Yes we loaded up the software the other day, and the look on the owners face when I reved it past 8.1k screeeaaming like a motorcycle was freaking
fantastic.....

We will get a chance to take the car to the dyno next week ,for some 8K dyno charts to share with all of you. This will be done with a schrick cam
as that's what this car has. The new cam will come in early next week and
Maxmini will get a chance to run it thru it's paces on and of track..

peter
Team M7
562-608-8123

Old 12-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Strom
4th Gear
Is the new cam you're referring to the Cosworth cam, or something else?

Old 12-08-2005, 12:09 AM
M7
Former Vendor
No Cosworth Cam yet...
But this is really good stuff.

peter
Team m7
562-608-8123

Old 12-08-2005, 05:28 PM
mcswrks
6th Gear
Is there significant power in the stock naturally aspirated Cooper over 6750??