Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Valvetrain..

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 04:56 AM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read over some of the threads here trying to find something but didnt see it, Now i know its been talked over with the smaller pullys and the larger crank pully's before. But since we are talking about takin this motor to and over 8K, what about cavitating the water pump and the oil temp heating up?? And say if i got this ECU tuning to take my car up to 8K, what about the redline of the blower since i have a 16% pully on it? I am very interested it doin this ECU upgrade and probably some head work just to be safe and to get more power since my warranty is about to go up.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:43 AM
jlm
6th Gear
from what I have read so far:
there is one guy who tracks his car, is running a 19% and revs to above 8k with no problems (this is third hand info posted by Ingsoc who was reporting second hand). so the pump and blower issues don't seem to be a problem. Huge intake air temps though (as per Ingsoc). Typically, the ECU will retard timing when is sees IAT too hot, so this issue needs looking into as far as reducution pulley size/blower speed/excess heat/actual power gains.

valve float and seat bounce are issues to look at and the factors influencing them are springs, weight of reciprocating components and the acceleration/deceleration ramps ground into the cam lobe profile; the cam should also address appropriate duration and overlap for those revs. No detailed reporting here as of yet, but a cam designed for high revs sounds promising,

the usual trade-off, if you are trying to take advantage of high revs, is you lose some low rev performance and thus narrow your effective powerband.

Old 12-13-2005, 05:57 AM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
.......valve float and seat bounce are issues to look at and the factors influencing them are springs, weight of reciprocating components and the acceleration/deceleration ramps ground into the cam lobe profile; the cam should also address appropriate duration and overlap for those revs. No detailed reporting here as of yet, but a cam designed for high revs sounds promising,

the usual trade-off, if you are trying to take advantage of high revs, is you lose some low rev performance and thus narrow your effective powerband.

Yeah i had planed in some head work, actually more along the lines of a new head with double valve springs. But i didnt think about the cam. Any ideas of a cam for high rpm for our motors?

Old 12-13-2005, 06:03 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jlm
from what I have read so far:
there is one guy who tracks his car, is running a 19% and revs to above 8k with no problems (this is third hand info posted by Ingsoc who was reporting second hand). so the pump and blower issues don't seem to be a problem. Huge intake air temps though (as per Ingsoc). Typically, the ECU will retard timing when is sees IAT too hot, so this issue needs looking into as far as reducution pulley size/blower speed/excess heat/actual power gains.

valve float and seat bounce are issues to look at and the factors influencing them are springs, weight of reciprocating components and the acceleration/deceleration ramps ground into the cam lobe profile; the cam should also address appropriate duration and overlap for those revs. No detailed reporting here as of yet, but a cam designed for high revs sounds promising,

Actually, that's 1st hand info, jlm. not third. sorry.

AIT's on 100 degree days in florida get kinda high, yes. But, that car has not had any failures, aside from a PS motor that was changed under warranty...heh. Water pump going just fine....

oh yeah, and there's a 0% crank pulley on there too.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:46 AM
jlm
6th Gear
first hand is the guy with the car; second hand is the guy he told about it (you), third hand is me, referring to you who is referring to the guy with the car.

Old 12-13-2005, 08:07 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jlm
first hand is the guy with the car; second hand is the guy he told about it (you), third hand is me, referring to you who is referring to the guy with the car.
you forget one important thing: the car has 4 seats.