Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Valvetrain..

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 03:10 PM
jm6001
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valvetrain..

I have heard that people have been upgrading their valvetrains with titanium valves, retainers, and springs.. Well I was wondering for whoever has doen this can you tell me what company you have used to source the parts to do so? I am kind of looking for an easy 8000rpm redline...

Thanks before hand,
Jm

Old 11-24-2005, 03:21 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jm6001
I have heard that people have been upgrading their valvetrains with titanium valves, retainers, and springs.. Well I was wondering for whoever has doen this can you tell me what company you have used to source the parts to do so? I am kind of looking for an easy 8000rpm redline...

Thanks before hand,
Jm
In one day, I will be running 8000+ rpm with stock retainers and valves, only uprated springs. It's been proven safe by a friend of mine ON A 99% TRACK car . If you're mostly on the street, even more so. So, yeah, save your money.

PS: How do you plan on seeing your revs go past 8k? The stock tach only goes up to 8 .

Old 11-24-2005, 06:26 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Check with hubie at fireball tim . com He has a ported head available with the double springs, titanium retainers, seats and valves. He says it's good for 8k RPMs.

Old 11-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Cosmic Purple
3rd Gear
Old 11-25-2005, 06:31 AM
uae mini
3rd Gear
If it can take 9-10k I'm in... but until now I haven't heard any info on how much these babies can take. I wish they would state the limit of the valve train kit on their sites.

I can't wait for my race car to get to 9600revs... for starters I hope

Old 11-25-2005, 07:02 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by uae mini
If it can take 9-10k I'm in... but until now I haven't heard any info on how much these babies can take. I wish they would state the limit of the valve train kit on their sites.

I can't wait for my race car to get to 9600revs... for starters I hope
Have you found anyone who can provide software to achieve that? Precious few know how to. A number of people in the US have tried to get 8000 or higher revs but the computer shuts the car down without even a hint of why at around 7800 if I remember right. The solution involves a lot of creative programming, and although a guy I know does it, I am not entirely sure of what he does- it just works! M7 is gonna be marketing his special tune. I can ask if he could get the computer to allow 9600 rpm out of it...but I would bet that stock valvetrain could not take that. It is good at 8500, though, fyi. Shoot me a pm if you'd like me to see if 9600 is possible.

Note, again: The stock tach only goes to 8000....you running a new one?

Old 11-25-2005, 07:05 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dominicminicoopers
Check with hubie at fireball tim . com He has a ported head available with the double springs, titanium retainers, seats and valves. He says it's good for 8k RPMs.
The stock valvetrain is absolutely fine at 8k, at the track, all day long, for the record.

The software is what keeps most people from 8k revs. M7's new prototype software package is the only one I know of that can allow 8k... It's gonna be coming to market soon, so contact them if you'd like to know more about it. It's being tested for this coming month on my car and a few others, and initial reports are FRIGGIN AWESOME. I'm planning on posting my own dyno runs within this month.

Old 11-25-2005, 07:34 AM
dapickler
1st Gear
[size=2]ingsoc, for the record , are you running a stock or schrick cam? I am curious who is going to be dumb enough to try this on the stock valve springs?

[/size]

Originally Posted by ingsoc
The stock valvetrain is absolutely fine at 8k, at the track, all day long, for the record.

The software is what keeps most people from 8k revs. M7's new prototype software package is the only one I know of that can allow 8k... It's gonna be coming to market soon, so contact them if you'd like to know more about it. It's being tested for this coming month on my car and a few others, and initial reports are FRIGGIN AWESOME. I'm planning on posting my own dyno runs within this month.

Old 11-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Cosmic Purple
3rd Gear
What about valve float?

Old 11-25-2005, 11:57 AM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes we do have a new program available, with a 8120rpm limit.

As for longevity of the valve train......The test car has been running the software for over 6 months with more then it's fair share on the roadrace track, not just easy performance street driving.
With this new map we highly recomend our 400cc injectors as it will
keep the charge air cool and rich at the higher limits.
The cost for this uppgrade is $795.00 and we will need the ECU to download
and test the newly installed map.

As for driveabillity, all I can say is Wow and Holy Sh*#, there is a new level
of flexibillity and performance that will surprise and delight.

Please call for more info...

peter
Tream M7
562-608-8123

Old 11-25-2005, 12:08 PM
uae mini
3rd Gear
I say scrap the stock ecu and get a motec ecu.. yes its not practicle but if its a track car then its fine.
I was talking about my race car and not the Mini.. its got a Skunk2 ecu that can get it to 9600revs. Its not ready yet... a NA engine is awesome once it gets to the magical 10K redline (like breaking the sound barrier)

I will be running an AIM MXL unit.. kinda like a Motec display unit... http://www.aimsports.com/

I really want to see the Mini get to 8500revs.. right now mine sounds more like a Honda. I can't wait for it to happen:smile:

Have you found anyone who can provide software to achieve that? Precious few know how to. A number of people in the US have tried to get 8000 or higher revs but the computer shuts the car down without even a hint of why at around 7800 if I remember right. The solution involves a lot of creative programming, and although a guy I know does it, I am not entirely sure of what he does- it just works! M7 is gonna be marketing his special tune. I can ask if he could get the computer to allow 9600 rpm out of it...but I would bet that stock valvetrain could not take that. It is good at 8500, though, fyi. Shoot me a pm if you'd like me to see if 9600 is possible.

Note, again: The stock tach only goes to 8000....you running a new one?

Old 11-25-2005, 12:34 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Yes the Motec unit would be great......But it would be absolutly impossible
to use it on the street as all the functions of the ECU would be lost....

And we looked at raising the rpm higher, wich ultimately was not possible
with the stock ECU. At the 8120rpm limit no valvefloat has been detected
or accheived no matter how hard we worked the engine.

peter
Team M7
562-608-8123

Old 11-25-2005, 02:25 PM
jm6001
3rd Gear
M7,

Have you beefed up your valvetrain? or That map is recommended for X and X products sort of thing. If the valvetrain is beefed up what springs retainers and valves are you using?

Thanks,
Jm

Old 11-25-2005, 02:39 PM
M7
Former Vendor
The last motor we built, with the uppgraded software package did have some
but not many uppgrades. The head was bluprinted and the springs where distributed between the intake and exhaust valves as per weight and spring tension. All parts treated with Microlon to minimize parasitic friction.

And yes, all the parts where stock (valves, springs, and retainers)

Thats all that was necessary and the car runs beutifully.

peter
Team M7
562-608-8123

Old 11-25-2005, 02:47 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Who is the "friend" with the 8500 rpm redline? If this person has no interest in posting here, how about you (as the official spokesman) give us some more info about this car (dyno sheets, timeslips, etc)?

In one day, I will be running 8000+ rpm with stock retainers and valves, only uprated springs. It's been proven safe by a friend of mine ON A 99% TRACK car . If you're mostly on the street, even more so. So, yeah, save your money.

PS: How do you plan on seeing your revs go past 8k? The stock tach only goes up to 8 .

Old 11-26-2005, 04:35 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
Who is the "friend" with the 8500 rpm redline? If this person has no interest in posting here, how about you (as the official spokesman) give us some more info about this car (dyno sheets, timeslips, etc)?
Andy,
Umm, I would personally expect that my friends aren't spokespeople for me! So....I would not choose to speak for someone else. FYI, said person does NOT come on NAM- he spends his time with his family and its youngest addition, his MINI. Can't fault him for that. He certainly doesn't owe people his time. Anyways, I do not speak for people. I speak of people when necessary.

Everyone else,
I can say from personal experience that valves do NOT float and engines do not combust immediately upon hitting 8k. M7 is selling a software package based around the tune which a friend of mine helped develop. I do not work for either of said parties. I will, however, be posting dynos on NAM [before and after] of my car, running ~8100 rpm [the M7 version does this from what I've been told- again, anything past 8000 is completely invisible to me], over my winter break at the end of this month. That's all there is to say.

PS: He only has a stock tach, so I cannot say with absolute certainty that it's 8500, 8200, 8600... The tach just pegs and it continues to rev for a few hundred, he shifts, and that's it.

Old 11-26-2005, 05:13 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I never said you were acting as the spokesman for your friend. You have been acting as the spokesman for his product, providing his stuff as a testimonial to the suitability of revs beyond 8k. Can you give us some more info about this car (dyno sheets, timeslips, etc)? Has anyone else on NAM seen it?

Edit: Never mind, I found an earlier post: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...highlight=8500

Old 11-26-2005, 05:19 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Very cool! I was unaware of this fact. Do you know at what RPM the stock valve train will experience valve float?

Old 11-26-2005, 05:28 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Very cool! I was unaware of this fact. Do you know at what RPM the stock valve train will experience valve float?
And if the MINI uses an interference type engine?

Floating valves is one thing but valves slamming into pistons is another.

Old 11-26-2005, 05:36 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
You have been acting as the spokesman for his product, providing his stuff as a testimonial to the suitability of revs beyond 8k.
He never had a product. He developed the software just for his car, and helped a couple of his friends out by giving them software with his technology. I think you misunderstand my fascination with MINIs that are actually highly tuned with some kinda funny business. The fact is, I am in no business to do anything but share information with the community, who I can assure you have been quite interested in this information too .

Now, M7 has arranged with him to sell software with his technology, geared to and safe for normal MINIs. The car that my friend has built has a 19% pulley, lighweight crank pulley, p&p damn near everything intake to header, oil cooler, and I don't know what else, but a completely stock bottom end and completely stock valves. Not sure on the springs- I believe he said they were stock. M7 can answer all of the questions you have. I can only say what I know, and that is that the software is being CUSTOM written for each vehicle's specs, directly onto the ECU. ECUs must be sent in. I don't know whereto- again, ask M7.

Old 11-26-2005, 05:37 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
The answer is unclear, at least to me. Stock valve springs have proven completely fine in testing, at 8500 rpm [if I remember correctly]. Ask M7.

Old 11-26-2005, 07:59 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Thank's Maahir

We have never experienced valve float at the rpm that we can extract out of the stock ECU. The maximum rpm is 8200, but we will set it at 8120rpm.

The cool thing is that you can be running a 16% pulley and by revving the engine to 8120rpm, extract more boost and horse power from your super charger in a safer manner......

We are doing some dyno runs this week so you can see what the software does at > 7000rpm on a lightly modified MINI and also on a Cosworth modified
MINI....

peter
Team M7
562-608-8123

Old 11-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Cosmic Purple
3rd Gear
It is great that there are those willing to live on the edge. But perhaps there is such a thing as valve float. That is when the hydraulic tappets cant keep up with the high rev and things get a little out of sync. Nothing like a cracked piston. Nothing like living on the edge. Go mini go!
Many of you are familiar with BBR-GTi of England with the $30K turbo setup that was featured in Evo Mag. They have a dyno where the engine is dynoed out of the car. So, they experimented with how much revving the Mini could take. After a couple eniges, they found that somehwere around 8000 rpm, strange things happen. They do sell a 275bhp setup that revs at 8100 rpm, but they include in that setup solid rocker tappets to eliminate valve float and this crank timming disc http://www.bbrgti.com/images/timmingdisc.JPG to keep the block from exploding under the hood. But you have to take the crank out to install it.
BBR's products are not inexpensive to say the least, but they've experimented with pushing over the limit to set a limit.

Old 11-26-2005, 08:33 PM
M7
Former Vendor
No doubt there's an limit for everything, but as we stated before, the test car
was hammered very hard on the track racing with cars like Vipers
and Porsche Turbos etc. with absolutly no odd problems or explosions.

If you are planing on uppgrading to a performance head, ported polished
or just blueprinted, a set of Ferrea dual spring valve springs and possibly a set
of Titanium retainers could be a great uppgrade for even safer high rpm racing.

peter
Team M7
562-608-8123

Old 11-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Cosmic Purple
3rd Gear
In this great age of scientific enilightment, where does "hammered very hard" fit in? Does that mean the engine was revved up to 8000 for however many seconds repeatedly or held at 8000 rpms continually for this many seconds? I don't think this would go over well in a science class.

I do want to make it clear that i am not promoting any vendor over the other. I think we should support as many vendors as we can. But i do think if a vendor is going to promote a product as safe, tried and tested, then "hammered very hard" should be an objective measurement observed through a rational scientic approach.