Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain JCW CIA install... what's with those wires??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 04:07 PM
s4gerri
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW CIA install... what's with those wires??

I'm going to install the JCW airbox but was wondering... it has a few wires and such that need to be incorporated into various point in the fusebox and ECU. Other then this airbox, my '04 MCS is bone stock. As I 'think' that flap opens only through vacuum (it has a 'T' for the hose line), do I really need to do the electrical stuff too for it to work properly.

I've no problem doing that work - I understand what needs to be done and how. But if because I'm not putting any additional mods on at present, will the electrical stuff actually do anything? If it doesn't, I'd rather not splice into the ECU harness is why I ask. Perhaps I don't fully understand all of how this box works or, without additional mods the units electrical connections are meaningless.

Any help?
Thanks

Old 01-04-2006, 04:13 PM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
Originally Posted by s4gerri
I'm going to install the JCW airbox but was wondering... it has a few wires and such that need to be incorporated into various point in the fusebox and ECU. Other then this airbox, my '04 MCS is bone stock. As I 'think' that flap opens only through vacuum (it has a 'T' for the hose line), do I really need to do the electrical stuff too for it to work properly.

I've no problem doing that work - I understand what needs to be done and how. But if because I'm not putting any additional mods on at present, will the electrical stuff actually do anything? If it doesn't, I'd rather not splice into the ECU harness is why I ask. Perhaps I don't fully understand all of how this box works or, without additional mods the units electrical connections are meaningless.

Any help?
Thanks
You bet'ya got'ta hook it all up if you want it to work as it should, it's too high tech for me to fully understand, but all them wires are there for a reason trust me

Old 01-04-2006, 04:14 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I would hook up the wires ... Most likely its to let the airbox know when to open the flap.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:42 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The airbox has electronics which monitors the RPM and only opens the flap at 4500rpm (as revs fall, it keeps it open down to 4000rpm).
The vacuum is only an "assist".

Old 01-04-2006, 06:13 PM
s4gerri
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by GBMINI
The airbox has electronics which monitors the RPM and only opens the flap at 4500rpm (as revs fall, it keeps it open down to 4000rpm).
The vacuum is only an "assist".
Thanks Ian. Once connected, the software can sense the new airbox is installed or is it the airbox that senses the engine RPM? Not that it matters much, just curious. At any rate, IBWIRING!

BTW... glad I got on of the last circuits! Works like a champ and is so handy!

Old 01-04-2006, 06:23 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The engine computer has no sensing that the JCW CAI is fitted.

Maybe the engine computer is updated to a software version that has an engine map appropriate to the extra air flow - I'm not sure.
But I wonder if it is simply adaptive - the engine computer can (indirectly) sense air flow to get the air/fuel mixture correct, so probably just copes with the extra air.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:51 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by s4gerri
CW CIA install... what's with those wires??
I didn't know JCW had the CIA now

I really enjoy the JCW CAI and have a feeling you will too

Old 01-04-2006, 09:41 PM
s4gerri
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
I didn't know JCW had the CIA now
Yes, it goes right next to the Alphabet Brakes!

Just can't sneak a typo by anyone in here...