Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain my new Megan Racing 2-piece header!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 03:11 PM
agile_moments
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my new Megan Racing 2-piece header!

I got in the 2nd version of the Megan racing header today. I went with this one because of the 2nd piece that has the test pipe. I am probably going to have the stock cat welded in place of it after a couple days,I just don't like seeing the SES light, even if I know why it's there and it's no big deal.

Here's a few pictures, it appears to have good looking welds and nice, thick flanges....now..anyone have install instructions? Anyone else have experience with this header?

Old 01-19-2006, 03:12 PM
agile_moments
4th Gear
sorry a/b the picture quality...guess I was excited.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Looks nice, my friend bought headers and y-pipe from Megan Racing for his G35 and everything looked nice. However there have been lots of accounts of the welds cracking and a friend of mine had his test pipe crack on him (Civic Si). Although, people have reported that after you get the welds fixed, should they crack, it is perfect and they don't have any problems with it. Good luck with the install and I hope you don't have any problems with the header.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:34 PM
saifa
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 02///MCS
However there have been lots of accounts of the welds cracking and a friend of mine had his test pipe crack on him (Civic Si). Although, people have reported that after you get the welds fixed, should they crack, it is perfect and they don't have any problems with it.
I heard the exact same thing about Megan products. The header looks really nice though. Where did you pick it up? It's not on their site I don't think.

Old 01-20-2006, 03:42 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
it's what's on the Pilo Racing website as the version 2 header

what welds did they have a problem with? with the ones on the flange? I guess time will tell.

Old 01-20-2006, 03:42 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
what do i torque the header bolts to btw?

Old 01-20-2006, 04:27 AM
skuzy
5th Gear
lol nfi , just make sure they''re tight

Old 01-20-2006, 05:06 AM
pooch1
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your header looks nice.I dont really understand why the cat delete sections are there outside of just disguising the fact that a cat is not being used or just allowing a connection point.In our area we have roadside emmission spot checks so if your car looks modified you or maynot get a visual and then a emmision test.Is it the same in your area?

Old 01-20-2006, 05:39 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
that sounds pretty harsh, no, we don't hanve anything like that in south carolina, luckily, SC is too full of backwards rednecks, most of whom have straight pipes on the camaros...so 'emissions be damned' seems to be the modus operandi of the government here...

but, like I said, I am going to have the stock cat welded in there in place of the test pipe, one for the fact that I hopefully wont have a SES light, and two because I actually do care about the environment

Old 01-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Detonics
3rd Gear
agile,

I might be interested in getting this header since I heard so many fitment problem with the OBX header. So, where did you get it from and how much?

So, fitted the header already?

Old 01-23-2006, 11:14 AM
rpterson
4th Gear
I installed this header just after the Holidays. Had a few problems.

1. If you look at the exhaust flang to head you'll find that the opening does not match the size of the gasket. I machined all of the openings by a 1/4 inch. Now more closely matches the head exhaust ports.

2. You can install from under the car up on jack stands.

3. Watch the 2 bolt header flang. The hole is almost the same size as the bolt head and can pull through. Use a washer at bolt head.

4. O2 sensors are a tight fit. Precat 02 needs to be rerouted to get enough length.

5. Header with test pipe is short by about 1/2 causing problems connecting rest of exhaust. Also exhaust is slightly higher and now rubs heat shields.

Other wise a big difference in power.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:13 PM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rpterson

1. If you look at the exhaust flang to head you'll find that the opening does not match the size of the gasket. I machined all of the openings by a 1/4 inch. Now more closely matches the head exhaust ports.

3. Watch the 2 bolt header flang. The hole is almost the same size as the bolt head and can pull through. Use a washer at bolt head.

4. O2 sensors are a tight fit. Precat 02 needs to be rerouted to get enough length.

5. Header with test pipe is short by about 1/2 causing problems connecting rest of exhaust. Also exhaust is slightly higher and now rubs heat shields.

I have to agree with you on everything!

It was painfull to install since it was a little shorter man did I have to pull on the exhaust to get the bolts on... it was so bad tha I went to Home Depot and got me a set of bolts 1/2 longer hehe .

not to mention that it was hard to get it up into the engine bay, since they are a little wider near the gasket than stock.

I have mine rapped with www.designengineering.com so I can lower the temp on the engine bay and I also added the stock header cover ( a little modified). amazing temp drop by the way.

now, I had them for a while and I have not gotten the check engine light once!

not to mention that the power gain is hudge from mid-top but specially up top....

Old 01-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Detonics
3rd Gear
Oh no, so this header has some fitment problem too?

Old 01-23-2006, 01:05 PM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Detonics
Oh no, so this header has some fitment problem too?
well after it I installed it my exhaust was sticking out about 1/6 of and inch less which isnt much... which now makes it perfectly even with my bumper...
it is my believe gettting almost any MCS header into the engine bay requires work..
so, it isnt that bad... compare for example to the OBX header...

Old 01-24-2006, 04:56 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
I didn't notice any fitment issues or anything like that. It does, however, sound like an exhaust leak. But now that you mention it...If I'm having the same gasket issue on the head, the smaller diameter openings on the gasket may be fluttering, causing the sound...so I'll have to look at that this weekend. Mine came with washers for the two flanges on the test pipe, so that wasn't a problem, the o2 sensor we did have to move around a little to get to go in (precat) Of course, I threw a code I'm assume because of the test pipe. So I may be getting the stock cat welded on just to get rid of the light.

But yeah, huge difference in power. what exhaust are you guys using? I've got the magnaflow and together it is loud. And right now it sounds like a WRX with exhaust at low RPMs...I can't even really hear the supercharger anymore...haha...maybe I should get a resonator...

Old 01-24-2006, 08:44 AM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
I'm happy iut fitted right for you! So you got a code? weird... I have had mine for a while and nothing...
oh, you can always emulate the test pipe O2 sensor... and the emulator is about $20 plus shipping
other than that..
I also have magnaflow and it does sound loud! but I love it!
I also have Intake which I built (kind of looks like the Alta) and with my 19% pulley! trust me I can still hear my SC

Old 01-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Detonics
3rd Gear
Cool, as usual.. any sound clips?

Old 01-24-2006, 10:29 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
i'll try to get some this video this weekend

Old 01-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Minirowski
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by agile_moments
i'll try to get some this video this weekend
Dyno charts is better than a video

Old 01-24-2006, 12:58 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minirowski
Dyno charts is better than a video

Yea, as long as you want to play the victim

Make sure you wear your Bullseye T Shirt too.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Detonics
agile,

I might be interested in getting this header since I heard so many fitment problem with the OBX header. So, where did you get it from and how much?

So, fitted the header already?
If you would bother to really read the OBX thread - you would see that the FITMENT ISSUES are MINOR - typically associated with ONE BOLT. The connection point to the cat works just fine when installed properly and double nutted. This thread raises weld issues - and none have been reported on the OBX.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rpterson

Anyone else have these problems?

Old 01-24-2006, 09:29 PM
agile_moments
4th Gear
one person raised a question about weld quality. I doubt that's the problem. I had none of the problems listed there, I may have the first, I'm going to go in there and take it off this weekend and see if I can figure that one out.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Detonics
3rd Gear
Argh.. and now im confuse again. Megan or OBX? Megan, MTH, and Milltek are 4:1 where OBX and Supersprint are 4:2:1 type.... 4:1 or 4:2:1?

Old 01-25-2006, 06:07 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
megan is 4:1