Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Crank Pulley reinstall procedure

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 11:44 AM
SteveS
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crank Pulley reinstall procedure

I'm reinstalling 05 factory crank pulley. I have questions:

1. will a regular strap wrench hold pulley well enough while torquing the hex bolt to 85 ft. lbs?

2. Should inside of pulley where it fits over crank be lubed at all (WD40, grease,
or totally dry, before fitting it on?

3. Should any thread goop be put on bolt in addition to what comes on a new hex bolt?

Thanks for your reply

Old 02-12-2006, 01:24 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
why are you replacing the stock crank pulley? Did you have a lightened one that gave you problems?

Old 02-12-2006, 02:10 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TwOMINIs
why are you replacing the stock crank pulley? Did you have a lightened one that gave you problems?
Thats what I am wondering. There has been little to no problems that can be blamed on the lightened crank pulley (yet).

Old 02-12-2006, 03:56 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My experience with the install leads me to say that a strap wrench would not be enough to allow proper torque on the crank pulley. I was caught by surprise when the OEM install tool would not work with the latter model pulley. As a work around I tried a secured pulley belt but it and the rubber damper had excessive give and wouldn’t facilitate getting the pulley half way on much less torque down completely. In the end I fabricated a bracket (it’s no longer useable) from a shelf brace that would wedge against the frame and attach at a bolthole on the pulley. By now there must be a current model tool available.

I would not lube the shaft but I would suggest polishing off any rust spots and cleaning with acetone or break cleaner. Also, clean the crank threads with break cleaner and flush with compressed air. The thread lock supplied on the OEM bolt is all that is needed for this application.

Old 02-13-2006, 03:50 PM
minicoop78
4th Gear
put the car in 5th and have someone hold the breaks

Old 02-13-2006, 04:15 PM
SteveS
4th Gear
That sounds like a brilliant solution. Has anyone done this? Is there a downside to this approach?

Old 02-13-2006, 06:13 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
SteveS,

You have not answered why you are reinstalling the factory crank pulley. Did you have an aftermarket one on? If so, did it cause you any issues?

Garrett

Old 02-13-2006, 07:15 PM
SteveS
4th Gear
Simply a matter of NVH. I have 03. I had 2% Alta installed 10/7/05. I did notice a little more roughness at low revs (Idle, letting out in first gear). Nothing has broken, and at all other times it works fine. I think the mechanic who installed it did not have the proper belt pulley tension reliever tool and the pulley tensioner was tweaked. Randy confirmed this when he drove the car. The Dealer replaced the tensioner under warranty. I still detect a little, minor vibration/roughness. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, Randy, a good guy in all respects, supplied me with a 2005 factory pulley (2 lb. lighter than stock) pulley to put on. I'm going to put it on and see if there's any noticeable difference in roughness. Maybe I just don't remember how it was before the install of the Alta.

Andy would kill me due to the subject nature of my assessment.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:23 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
Hmmm best bet is to rent a puller from an auto store if you have that option. Please keep us updated and Best of luck!

Garrett

Old 02-14-2006, 03:34 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by garretwp
Hmmm best bet is to rent a puller from an auto store if you have that option. Please keep us updated and Best of luck!

Garrett
Yah, give the pulley hell and let us know. I read your other posts of added roughness @ idle. I am curious is this was the culprit or not.

Old 02-18-2006, 12:45 PM
SteveS
4th Gear
With neighbor's help, who is a real can-do, improvising kind of guy,and a lot of worry, I did the reinstall. Needed a long (6" or so fully threaded) 12mm x 1.75 pitch bolt to thread into the crank and use nut to squeeze the pulley on to the crankshaft. Could not find find such a bolt so a neighbor took non-metric threaded bolt and appropriate die and ran die over the bottom inch or so of it it to recut threads to metric size. Interesting that his Harbor Freight die did not cut the same as my old Craftsman die. Bolt cut with his HF die did not work, but mine did. HF stuff has spotty QC. Don't get precision stuff from HF.

Kept pulley from turning durining install by sticking screwdriver in front brake rotor, with driver side of car on ground and car in 6th (chocked the wheel in front and back just to be safe) As pulley turned, the rotor wedged up against the caliper and it worked great to hold pulley still during the install. This was suggested by Chad of Detroit Tuned. He was a lot of help and returned several calls right away. He is a real nice guy and very responsive. I'm glad there are some people you can reach when you really need to. Got the pulley on and new bolt in. Boy, 80 ft lbs is a lot and it seemed like the bolt kept stretching and stretching! Glad I bought a new one.

Anyway, was not paying attention and squeezed the belt between pulley and block. Noticed this before bolt was fully torqued. Was able to twist and pull it free but noticed that the belt was worn in another area. The outer rib was missing for about 3 ". I thought maybe that was the cause of the vibration. Anyway, took car for a spin with the bad belt and the vibration is gone. Car runs a tad slower, but I'll live with that.

It's not like the vibration was that much to begin with, but I'm pleased with going from the 03 crank pulley to the 05 crank pulley.

I'm also glad I got the pulley tension relieving tool from Outmotoring.

Old 02-18-2006, 02:13 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
Glade you got everything going and your problem fixed. I am amazed how you were the only person having issues with the crank pulley. Others have not had any issues. But I guess it was expected for someone or even more over time to have issues. Again glade you got your problems fixed and that your now happy!

Garrett