Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Installing M7 Ram Intake - issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 06:37 AM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks to the WRKS for finally posting a painted 3/4 and side shot of this thing! It looks beautiful! Nice job Misfitoy!

Now I just need $300 for the scoop and painting...

Old 06-27-2006, 08:28 PM
tethernaut
2nd Gear
M7 Ram Scoop Performance Benefits???

Questions for those of you who've installed the M7 Ram Scoop:

Does it provide a significant improvement in hp/torque/mileage? Have any measurements been obtained, or just butt-dyno testing?
Also, would installation be any different on a JCW mini?

thanks,
tethernaut

Old 06-28-2006, 04:53 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tethernaut

Does it provide a significant improvement in hp/torque/mileage? Have any measurements been obtained, or just butt-dyno testing?

thanks,
tethernaut
The Ram Intake was not designed to produce hp...rather it was designed to increase efficiency of the IC by allowing greater volume of air to flow past it

Old 06-28-2006, 05:59 AM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Originally Posted by Ethernet

thanks,
tethernaut
Look at Post >>>>#16<<<< for you answer

Old 06-28-2006, 08:27 AM
tethernaut
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
The Ram Intake was not designed to produce hp...rather it was designed to increase efficiency of the IC by allowing greater volume of air to flow past it
Sooo... does that improved efficiency translate into better mileage? What's the real benefit, other than it looks sweet?

Old 06-28-2006, 10:11 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tethernaut
Sooo... does that improved efficiency translate into better mileage? What's the real benefit, other than it looks sweet?
Anything that helps the IC to run cooler will save lost HP and should theoretically improve milage...also it looks HOT

Old 07-25-2006, 07:34 AM
jymontoya
5th Gear
I just wanted to say.... I AGREE!

IT DOES LOOK HOT!!!!

Old 10-07-2006, 08:35 AM
tethernaut
2nd Gear
Can anyone advise me on how to safely remove the two rectangular black plastic inserts on the underside of the bonnet that cover two of the scoop bolts?* I'm afraid to break a tab if I just yank on it.
thanks
(got my ram scoop painted and can't wait to get it in!)

Old 10-07-2006, 09:33 AM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just pop them out with a screwdriver - they are just press-ins, and unlikely to be damaged.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:29 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldRick
Just a twitch of the mouse - should be in S forum...

A couple of earlier pix:

- First cut at air dam replacement for plastic piece:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...7&d=1139513148 Installed pix tomorrow.

- Earlier version of diverter mod:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...5&d=1139430272 This version is a do-over due to the increased gap of the M7 scoop. I've got it installed to test the required overhang for the rubber flange. Pix of current version tomorrow.

As far as I can see, the only function of the Alta diverter is to hold up the water nozzle. It has nearly as big a gap along the front edge as the stock diverter.
are they just being overly cautious of engine movement? not wanting to launch your brand new scoop out the front ?

Old 10-07-2006, 08:48 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by agokart
so if the larger amount of air coming in has no place to go it just pushes back out? no it keeps going. and if the space is 1/4 less then it speeds up in the small area. making for a better cooling. this idea worked great and is thte same way the scoop designer is doing his.
if it were a carburater you'd be correct in calling that the venturi effect old technology that still works cause it's physics . narrow it and speed it up . just like "the bigger the better " has no place in exhaust primaries.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:39 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Coopersport.ca
What about ditching the OEM Scoop including the internal plastic diverter-ish thing and replacing with the M7 Ram Air Scoop and Alta IC Air Diverter? Would that make for a simple one-two mod combination and easier install?

Perhaps M7 should think seriously about fabricating their own IC Air Diverter and packaging it with the new Scoop for a more cohesive modification.

Cheers,
Jason.
www.coopersport.ca
I have the M7 extreme Hood scoop with alta IC diverter, and there is a very small gap (maybe 1/4 inch). dont know about the ram air scoop gains, but the extreme at high speeds cant be beat! Once my baby reaches 70 its over! I went from 99 MPH over the QT mile to 103 with JUST the extreme scoop being changed!!!!! I got 3/10ths from a scoop? well worth the money. just makes me sad I never got a M7 sticker....... randy?????

Old 10-09-2006, 09:32 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Pm me with a address its yours !

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 10-22-2006, 06:05 PM
tethernaut
2nd Gear
New Nose installed

I finally got around to installing the M7 Ram Scoop in my Mini. I wanted to send out my thanks for the info/advice/answers in this thread.

I'm pretty happy with how the scoop looks painted black. I really like the look head-on. However, at first I wasn't wild how the Ram Scoop looked in profile, but it has grown on me.

Instead of taking a dremel to the stock diverter, I followed OldRick's path and ginned up a custom diverter and lower air dam. The diverter is made of layered truck-camper weather stripping foam, covered and attached to the bonnet with foil-backed water-sealing tape. The lower air dam is several layers of rubber weather stripping. The diverter looks a little half-a$$ed, and the foil tape is already starting to come apart due to engine movement. But the foil does add some nice silver sparkle when you're peering in the scoop from the front. The rubber stripping for the lower air dam works ok, but I suspect the adhesive on it won't survive too long now that it's getting cold. So I'll probably have to replace both with better solutions before too long.