Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Need some Real answers on ECU's!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006 | 09:33 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
I'm sure we'll all be fine....
Kind of like when I was a kid and stepped on a rake that I had left out with the tines pointing up and got hit in the head by the handle of the rake.... The immediate experience hurt like hell, but I made sure not to leave rakes lying about (and also watched where I walked).

For what it is worth (and not wanting in any way to beat a dead horse), MiniMeg06, if you were to try to re-use a stock JCW pulley, given the requirement to precisely locate the position of the shrink fit pulley on the s/c shaft (and the potential negative consequences of being ever so slightly off), the general consensus is that the lowest frustration route is to go with one of the aftermarket reduction pulleys. Randy Webb (who arguably has the most experience doing pulley swaps of the NAM community) tends to prefer the Alta reduction pulley. If you do desire to re-use the stock JCW pulley, make sure that it is completely true - absolutely no run-out or deflection from being pulled.

Best of luck to you on your decision regarding the pulley.

Old 03-16-2006 | 02:07 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by caminifan
Randy Webb (who arguably has the most experience doing pulley swaps of the NAM community) tends to prefer the Alta reduction pulley.
Just a small point, but he no longer sells the Alta reduction pulley...I believe his new favorite is the M7 piece, seeing as how it's the only one I saw last time I visited!

Old 03-17-2006 | 11:46 AM
MiniCooperMan37
1st Gear
go for the Apexi, its a piggyback fuel computer, get everything tuned pacifically to your car and it can be done right then and there, don't have to wait a few days for the people to send you your flash, update, or whatever.

Old 03-17-2006 | 11:53 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
But...

Originally Posted by MiniCooperMan37
go for the Apexi, its a piggyback fuel computer, get everything tuned pacifically to your car and it can be done right then and there, don't have to wait a few days for the people to send you your flash, update, or whatever.
you can't do timing, DSC mods, or red-line changes. Every solution out there has some compramise....

Matt

Old 03-17-2006 | 12:45 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniCooperMan37
I'm almost positive that the apexi is out of Minimeg's price range.

Old 03-17-2006 | 03:00 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
I want the mod that is *pacifically* for my car. What does it do -- calm me down when I feel all sporty? When I want to get on it, it chimes in with a "now, Phil, think about it...why not take it a little slower, eh?"
Then again, I'll accept no compramise (!)
oh, well, we all know what we mean, I guess.
phil

Old 03-17-2006 | 03:38 PM
BLIZZ
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gandini
I want the mod that is *pacifically* for my car. What does it do -- calm me down when I feel all sporty? When I want to get on it, it chimes in with a "now, Phil, think about it...why not take it a little slower, eh?"
Then again, I'll accept no compramise (!)
oh, well, we all know what we mean, I guess.
phil
The pacifically mod is connected to the stereo system.....sounds of soft gentle breezes as the small breakers kiss the sun warmed white sandy beaches............

Old 03-19-2006 | 07:27 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
so why are you sweating on JCW pulley? There is a ton of different options out there? Maybe i am missing a point.

Old 03-19-2006 | 07:34 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
"pacifically"

refers to drving on the west coast!

Matt

Old 03-19-2006 | 07:54 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
refers to drving on the west coast!

Matt
Oh how I miss the days of driving "pacifically". Been way too long

Old 04-07-2006 | 09:12 PM
gowest
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMeg06
I NEED some REAL answers on ECU's! If you don't know what your talking about PLEASE don't reply. Sorry I have been searching this web site for days. I still can't seem to get a straight answer. There seams to be alot of issues with the Unichips. Does anyone know what JCW cars do for engine mangment? Here's what I was planing on doing for mods on our 2006 MCS for a little more RELIABLE performance. 1st. I have installed a Dinan CAI. 2nd. I am going with a Milltek cat back exhaust system. 3rd. I was thinking of installing a 15% pulley? Now if I install a pulley would it be advisable to do some ecu mods (All the mods in the world won't do any good without a proper tune.) & maybe a little colder plugs? Mini's have enough issues without adding anymore! ( I have seen the local dearship buy back 4 cars in the last mo. and a half! )
Thanks for your time!
I just had a JCW kit put on my 03. I was one of the first people to get a UniChip for a MCS and had problems with it at first. The UniChip came off when the JCW went on but I'm going to get a FREE reflash from Webb Motorsports, THAT's FREE!! It has two fuel maps built in and though expensive, I at least have something I can take off and sell for more than what a GIAC or MTH tuner would cost. I would not recommend the JCW software if you're looking for maximum performance. A friend, with pretty much the same setup as I have, found the Evotech software was WAY better than the JCW software.

Old 04-07-2006 | 09:52 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
There are some people who know what they are talking about and there are those who just er.....ah....know...sort of

I am not an engineer but I have spent a bunch of money on a lot of diffferent mods,...... some I have removed and some I have kept.....and this is my opinion...... If you only do the basic mods that are well known to the tuners get MTH, GIAC et. al. If you get more adventurous and your list of mods looks like mine and others like me go tuneable Unichip et al.... if your car is heavily modded the MTH and GIAC without a custom tune to your car while it is running is just at best an educated guess..... I have been in MTH cars that run great but the list of mods by comparison is short..... GIAC last year would not do a custom tune but does have a good "boiler plate".... Unichip is a piggyback but until a tuneable flash shows up that can/will be custom tuned on the street or dyno that is what I will use.

Good Luck

and by the way jlm is a very knowledgeable guy who recently sold his Mini...... I have always found his advice useful.....and truthful...

Old 04-07-2006 | 10:02 PM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX
There are some people who know what they are talking about and there are those who just er.....ah....know...sort of

I am not an engineer but I have spent a bunch of money on a lot of diffferent mods,...... some I have removed and some I have kept.....and this is my opinion...... If you only do the basic mods that are well known to the tuners get MTH, GIAC et. al. If you get more adventurous and your list of mods looks like mine and others like me go tuneable Unichip et al.... if your car is heavily modded the MTH and GIAC without a custom tune to your car while it is running is just at best an educated guess..... I have been in MTH cars that run great but the list of mods by comparison is short..... GIAC last year would not do a custom tune but does have a good "boiler plate".... Unichip is a piggyback but until a tuneable flash shows up that can/will be custom tuned on the street or dyno that is what I will use.

Good Luck

and by the way jlm is a very knowledgeable guy who recently sold his Mini...... I have always found his advice useful.....and truthful...
When you say that their mod list is short, does that mean 1st stage (pulley, intake, exhaust)? How far down the mod path do you reckon MTH would be good for? And wouldn't an apexi be better when your car is deep in the mod list?

Old 04-07-2006 | 10:55 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIotaple
When you say that their mod list is short, does that mean 1st stage (pulley, intake, exhaust)? How far down the mod path do you reckon MTH would be good for? And wouldn't an apexi be better when your car is deep in the mod list?
Apex'i gets sticky, because you have to cut the MAP sensor wire, splice and feed its signal into the apex'i, let it corrupt the signal, and then send it back [through another splice] into the ECU. If any one of these contacts fails, your ecu will possibly be running with no idea how much air it is getting...it will guess, and the results could be painful. The ideal solution is not the apex'i. It's just a bandaid, albeit a useable one. For true user-tuneability, the solutions are not yet available. IMO.