Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Performance for Automatic Trans

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006 | 08:24 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperDrew
Sounds like there can be some pretty significant gains with our a/t as long as we properly maintain and keep in mind the limitations of what an a/t can do. I dyno'ed my completely stock 05 MCSa and got 153 hp at 6500 rpms and 142 ft/lbs at 4300 rpms. I imagine that most of us won't be drag racing where those extremely high torque numbers come into play so moderate gains in power should still be do-able as long as necessary measures are taken to ensure tranny life. This way with a few mods, its daily driver ability still will be good.
So your stock MCSa did not upshift by 6300 rpm? We found it impossible to get a good dyno since there was no over-riding the upshift, the transmission's one fault IMHO. I don't drive it up in those rpms or really need the hp up at the top of the tach on the street, 4-6k range depending performs very well - but it is a shortcoming esp if you want to dyno an MCSa accurately (unless something changed and now you can hold it in gear up to 8k w/o it shifting?). Still wondering why nobody has come up with software to eliminate the upshift and raise the rev limits, etc, as Dinan had done for the BMW steptronic.

Old 11-05-2006 | 10:14 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
So your stock MCSa did not upshift by 6300 rpm? [Emphasis added.] We found it impossible to get a good dyno since there was no over-riding the upshift, the trannsmissions one fault IMHO. I don't drive it up in those rpms or really need the hp up at the top of the tach on the street, 4-6 range depending is preforms well - but it is shortcoming esp if you want to dyno and apparently made all the MCS 6 speed auto dynos really off (unless something changed and now you can hold it in gear as long as you want w/o it shifting?). Still wondering why nobody has come up with software to eliminate the upshift and raise the rev limits, etc, as Dinan had done for the BMW steptronic.
What about putting the transmission in manual mode? Does it still automatically upshift at 6,300 rpm?

Old 11-05-2006 | 10:17 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by caminifan
What about putting the transmission in manual mode? Does it still automatically upshift at 6,300 rpm?
Yup, does on ours.

And sorry for the typos, it was pre-coffee

Old 11-05-2006 | 10:54 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
I had conversation with a Dinan rep a couple of months ago about doing some performance mods on my, then new, MCSa. At that time their policy was "hands off" the MCSa . The reason for this is, as I was informed, once the MCSa is pulleyed it will no longer meet the EPA emissions requirement. This is confirmed by the fact that the JCW MCSa is available in Europe while it is not in the USA. If this policy has changed since my information was given I am not aware of it.

Old 11-05-2006 | 12:38 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
Mine and all the other MCS Autos that I've driven force an upshift at 6750 RPM regardless of what mode they're in - normal, sport or manual.

Old 11-05-2006 | 01:49 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gmcdonnell
Mine and all the other MCS Autos that I've driven force an upshift at 6750 RPM regardless of what mode they're in - normal, sport or manual.
I may be off on the number, as I said I posted pre-coffee with brain not fully awake, and now I can't recall the last time I watched the tach as it shifted at that point. Bottom line though is that it is doubtful to get an accurate dyno as long as it upshifts on its own at all.

Old 11-05-2006 | 04:10 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
Could you elaborate on where/how you have heard? If you have a torque specification document from Aisin-Warner on the transmission's design torque limit, that would be great.
When I had my pulley installed I was talking to the mechanic about it. He is a highly regarded mechanic at a European auto tuner here in San Antonio and he said on the VAG cars that was about the limit. Anything passed that and things start breaking. JCW kit is available in Europe so that amount of power should be fine. Twincharging and very high WHP are probably risking the transmission.

Old 11-05-2006 | 07:36 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by weezer2282
When I had my pulley installed I was talking to the mechanic about it. He is a highly regarded mechanic at a European auto tuner here in San Antonio and he said on the VAG cars that was about the limit. Anything passed that and things start breaking. JCW kit is available in Europe so that amount of power should be fine. Twincharging and very high WHP are probably risking the transmission.
Well, highly regarded experience on non-Aisin-Warner transmissions is not necessarily transferable. If you look at other applications of Aisin-Warner transmissions, they have demonstrated ability to handle in the range of 300 ft/lbs (at the crank) in production car applications. Now I don't have access to a torque specification document from Aisin-Warner, but absent such a document, I think it is not unreasonable to rely on other manufacturers implementation of Aisin-Warner transmissions as a guide for what the transmission is capable of. 240 ft/lbs is a bit on the conservative side.

Old 11-07-2006 | 07:50 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
Well, highly regarded experience on non-Aisin-Warner transmissions is not necessarily transferable. If you look at other applications of Aisin-Warner transmissions, they have demonstrated ability to handle in the range of 300 ft/lbs (at the crank) in production car applications. Now I don't have access to a torque specification document from Aisin-Warner, but absent such a document, I think it is not unreasonable to rely on other manufacturers implementation of Aisin-Warner transmissions as a guide for what the transmission is capable of. 240 ft/lbs is a bit on the conservative side.
Well, isn't the MCSa transmission the same as, or very similar to, the one used in the Audi TT and VW Beetle? If the transmission's limit is 300 ft/lbs then you really don't want to run a street car/daily driver at the limit because the transmission life will be shortened accordingly. It may handle it, but more problems will come up much quicker. Running lower in the 200-250 range, a little more conservative, could give better longterm results. As you said though, all this is speculation and heresay without the Aisin-Warner torque specs. I'd like to see someone twincharge or highly tune a MCSa and see how much it really can handle and how reliable it can be with that much power in the long term. I won't be risking my tranny though.

Old 11-08-2006 | 05:54 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Frankly, an a/t's torque handling specification is only part of the picture. If you drive a box stock MCSa abusively (such as race all-out from stop light to stop light) and don't replace the transmission fluid, you will see premature transmission failure. The best thing you can do to extend the life of the transmission is to completely replace the transmission fluid every 15,000 miles.

Old 11-08-2006 | 08:05 PM
CooperDrew
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by weezer2282
I'd like to see someone twincharge or highly tune a MCSa and see how much it really can handle and how reliable it can be with that much power in the long term. I won't be risking my tranny though.

Early back on my 05 just after I got through with all the wire harness problems, a half shaft breaks on the highway. Engine is fine, just no umph. I play out a TC in my head all the time, but don't wanna go breaking anything again. And it broke stock! That's holding me back from modding, but I've seen some autos, like mdsbrain who are running fine. So......

Old 11-09-2006 | 05:22 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CooperDrew

Early back on my 05 just after I got through with all the wire harness problems, a half shaft breaks on the highway. Engine is fine, just no umph. I play out a TC in my head all the time, but don't wanna go breaking anything again. And it broke stock! That's holding me back from modding, but I've seen some autos, like mdsbrain who are running fine. So......
I think I remember reading about that halfshaft. Maybe it was just a defective part. I've got an intake and 17% pulley that have been on since about 13k miles. I now have 31k and no problems so far. I am planning to eventually add an exhaust and some ECU software and that will be it. If I had a second car someday then maybe TC or an M62 would be interesting to try, but that is just asking for trouble IMO.

Old 11-09-2006 | 08:17 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I've done just about every bolt-on mod you can do to a MCSa and currently I am running the following engine mods.

15% pulley
Alta CAI w/ hose and top
Header w/ high-flow metallic CAT
wires (for bling)
Alta intercooler diverter (shaved down a tad to fit)
M7 Ram air cf scoop

I plan to add a exhaust again soon. But till then I am very happy with this.

Old 11-10-2006 | 12:39 PM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Mdsbrain...just curious...has your dealer mentioned anything about the mods affecting your warranty?

Old 11-10-2006 | 01:39 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Rich B.
Mdsbrain...just curious...has your dealer mentioned anything about the mods affecting your warranty?
See this link.

Old 08-16-2007 | 05:26 PM
spacecheck
Neutral
Newcomer to this forum...so am I correct in my research that there is no shift kit-type mod for the MSCa? I have an 06 and really wish there was something to improve the auto-tranny's response, esp. downshifting.

Old 08-16-2007 | 05:41 PM
Diosdado
2nd Gear
I haven't found anything. I keep checking from time to time including upgrades for the old audi tt. By the way an indication for the torque specs for the aisin transmission can be seen here: http://www.ricardo.com/engineeringse...adybenchmarked

Old 08-16-2007 | 10:31 PM
terryg
4th Gear
Hiya D, long time, no see!

The Aisin TF60-SN is rated to 320 N m, or 235 ft lbs TQ. It also has a TQ limiting feature in 1st gear, but I don't know any details about it. There are a few blurbs on their website.

So there's a whole lot of room for improvement over stock TQ numbers while still staying within spec for the Aisin. I've got a goal TQ number that I'm hoping Way can help me hit. Once I get there, I'll take you for a spin since I owe you one

Old 08-17-2007 | 05:25 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spacecheck
Newcomer to this forum...so am I correct in my research that there is no shift kit-type mod for the MSCa? I have an 06 and really wish there was something to improve the auto-tranny's response, esp. downshifting.
The MTH Tuner ECU upgrade definitely changes the shift profile - very noticeable when I first installed it. It's be a little while now so it's harder for me to remember what it was like before... But shifting is more aggressive and seems "crisper" - up and down...

I use plain auto mode for highway cruising only - use sport auto for around town - and sport mode with manual shifting for "spirited" driving.

Old 08-17-2007 | 09:47 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by terryg
Hiya D, long time, no see!...The Aisin TF60-SN is rated to 320 N m, or 235 ft lbs TQ. It also has a TQ limiting feature in 1st gear, but I don't know any details about it.
The way that a torque limiter typically works, is that when the transmission is in 1st gear, it sends a signal to the DME and the DME retards the ignition timing for the entire time the transmission is in 1st gear.

Old 08-17-2007 | 11:03 AM
checkers
5th Gear
I'm not sure how much HP or TQ the tranny will take, but here's what I've got in mine so far.
RMW head (JESUS)
RMW header
Magnaflow (high flow) cat back
15% pulley
2% cs pulley
cai
380 injectors
w / a intercooler
modified S/charger (m45)
HP cam
adjustable cam pulley
and a few other items that slip my mine for the moment.
and so far it's holding up just fine. I do need to upgrade the ECU. With all the air flow it's having a bit of trouble keeping up.

Old 08-17-2007 | 11:48 AM
Diosdado
2nd Gear
Checkers, have you dyno'ed your car and which W/A intercooler do you have? I've been thinking about a big valve head, how does it feel with the automatic especially down low 2-3K.

Old 08-17-2007 | 01:10 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by checkers
I'm not sure how much HP or TQ the tranny will take, but here's what I've got in mine so far.
RMW head (JESUS)
RMW header
Magnaflow (high flow) cat back
15% pulley
2% cs pulley
cai
380 injectors
w / a intercooler
modified S/charger (m45)
HP cam
adjustable cam pulley
and a few other items that slip my mine for the moment.
and so far it's holding up just fine. I do need to upgrade the ECU. With all the air flow it's having a bit of trouble keeping up.
That is a nice set of mods. Are you running everything on the California 91 octane pisswater? Have you been able to check if the DME pulls timing on hot days?

Old 08-17-2007 | 01:34 PM
checkers
5th Gear
We can't get a good dyno yet. My car go's crazy and tries to jump off the rack. The last time it Showed on the first run 175whp and 255lbs tq the second run showed 190whp and 297lbs tq. We know the tq has to be way off and we are not to sure about the hp either. They had to use a third strap and anchor it to the left to allow for the torque. We do know it pulls real hard from about 3000 to around 7000 rpms. It real whats to move to the right when you get on it hard. But it's a lot of fun.

Old 08-17-2007 | 07:22 PM
checkers
5th Gear
I got the intercooler from MINI Mania, but they do not carry it anymore.
As far as low end power it is a little stronger, but real do not kit in until around 3000 rpms.
I'm not sure if or how much timing is pulled but thats what the adjustable cam pulley comes in. I'm looking into reflashing the ECU and try to take care of the timing.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Performance for Automatic Trans