Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Performance for Automatic Trans

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006 | 06:39 AM
NRKTect
|
1st Gear
Performance for Automatic Trans

So, I got a sweet deal on an 05 MCS... The catch, it was an automatic. It sounded like a vidoegame to me so I jumped and bought it. Yeah, Its very tame shifting is a bit of a downer. Does any one make a shift kit or software package that will make it shift... more solidly? I'd like to be punched in the kidney when I'm on it and grab another gear!

Old 06-03-2006 | 09:28 AM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
I also have a 2005 MCS auto. I don't know of any software for the automatic transmission itself. Have you tried the Sport mode on the transmission?

I can tell you that the MTH Tuner software for the ECU is worthwhile from a performance standpoint and when one is getting on the gas it shifts more crisply than stock; I attribute this to the added power in the engine though, not to any mods to the automatic tranny programming.

One thing to note is that the auto forces an upshift at 6750 RPM even if one has aftermarket ECU reprogramming like the MTH. I really wish it didn't because my engine has plenty of oommph left and could easily push more power to at least 7250.

For mods on my MCS auto I went with the 17% pulley, Alta intake, JCW injectors, MTH software, cold plugs and a JCW exhaust. Hopefully some day Alta will release their silicone tube for the automatic as well - that's said to add a bit of power to the engine on standard trannies. I'm going to add a larger throttle body and probably stop on the mods at that point, though I may go to a 19% pulley down the road as well.

Enjoy your new MINI!

Old 06-03-2006 | 10:14 AM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
I have a MCSa and feel the same way. I just put 'er in sport mode. That helps. Also, turn the climate control off. When you WOT, the car briefly turns it off. It will be more responsive if you do it first. Just roll down the window a bit. I have also noticed that I dont really feel the power until I get to the top of first gear. Its because the IC has a heat soak issue. I kinda rigged up an IC soaker from the windshield fluid pump. That really helps too.

Old 06-03-2006 | 11:56 AM
NRKTect
|
1st Gear
Thanks for the knowledge!... I'm currently running stock but I just passed 2500 miles and plan on doing a software, pully, intake, combo any day now... The IC soaker sounds cool but I'm not sure how much I'd use it. Does it make a mess under the hood?

gmcdonnell, Alta has the AT silcone hose now!

Old 06-03-2006 | 07:47 PM
CooperDrew
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NRKTect
Thanks for the knowledge!... I'm currently running stock but I just passed 2500 miles and plan on doing a software, pully, intake, combo any day now... The IC soaker sounds cool but I'm not sure how much I'd use it. Does it make a mess under the hood?

gmcdonnell, Alta has the AT silcone hose now!
I've heard from other people who have tried to put the silicone hose on a MCSa that it still doesn't go on properly.

With that, has anyone successfully put on the MCSa silicone hose from Alta? Thats one thing thats holding me back from buying the Alta intake.

Old 06-04-2006 | 05:42 AM
NRKTect
|
1st Gear
I think I'm going with a MINI Madness CAI and then use the alta hoses...? I trust the K&N style filter more than a straight foam...When I was a lad, we ran foam over the K&N's but never straight foam.

Old 06-04-2006 | 10:38 AM
Stricks
3rd Gear
I think I'm going with a MINI Madness CAI and then use the alta hoses...? I trust the K&N style filter more than a straight foam...When I was a lad, we ran foam over the K&N's but never straight foam.
I have the Madness CAI w/ cowl mod and love it. I don't have the ALTA hose yet (it's on the list), but I love it none-the-less. Sounds and feels great on my MCSa.

Old 06-04-2006 | 10:42 AM
Stricks
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Stricks
I have the Madness CAI w/ cowl mod and love it. I don't have the ALTA hose yet (it's on the list), but I love it none-the-less. Sounds and feels great on my MCSa.
Also FYI, I'm on a pretty similar mod path to gmcdonnell -- I have the Madness CAI, Milltek Exhaust, Alta 17% pulley, Denso IK22s, and Kingsborne Plug Wires. My next Mods are MTH tuner file (on order), JCW injectors, Bigger Throttle Body, Milltek Header, and maybe, just maybe, a ported and polished cylinder head w/ new cam. I wanna make this MCSa zoom!

Old 06-04-2006 | 12:45 PM
NRKTect
|
1st Gear
I kind of get a chuckle at the thought of pulling away from some tuner punk while I have a soda in one hand! Slowly but surely I will buid it and it will be faaaassstttt!

Old 06-04-2006 | 12:52 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
I kind of get a chuckle at the thought of pulling away from some tuner punk while I have a soda in one hand! Slowly but surely I will buid it and it will be faaaassstttt!
I've found it's even more satisfying to have one arm resting on the window opening as they disappear in the rear view mirror.

Old 06-04-2006 | 01:38 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Good for any MINI

No matter which MINI you have-
Switch to lightweight rims and non runflat sticky tires- ASAP
You'll notice the difference from using the stock wheels and runflats.

Old 06-04-2006 | 04:45 PM
MiniTron
3rd Gear
I have an as of yet unmodded automatic cabrio, and find the shifting to be plenty crisp, Of course, I ALWAYS drive in manual mode. I have even had tire squeal shifting into 2nd under hard throttle. I have no complaints about the tranny at all. Now, the restrictive intake and exhaust paths, that is a different story. I can't wait to get those two issues "straightened" out.

Old 06-04-2006 | 05:55 PM
checkers
5th Gear
I have a 2005 mcs auto and I had the dealer reprogram the transmission it works just fine. It learns how you want it to shift. You mite find it hanging in gears alot longer and shifting harder. I am running about 270 HP with a lot of mods and the trans is juet fine with it. I also race it now and again just for fun. I think if you check with your dealer they should be able to help, there is an update for the software for the trans that resets the defalt codes I think you will like it. Have a nice day

Old 06-04-2006 | 08:41 PM
Stricks
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by checkers
I have a 2005 mcs auto and I had the dealer reprogram the transmission it works just fine. It learns how you want it to shift. You mite find it hanging in gears alot longer and shifting harder. I am running about 270 HP with a lot of mods and the trans is juet fine with it. I also race it now and again just for fun. I think if you check with your dealer they should be able to help, there is an update for the software for the trans that resets the defalt codes I think you will like it. Have a nice day
Wow -- 270HP?!?! Tell us what kind of mods your running!

Old 06-04-2006 | 09:56 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
No matter which MINI you have-
Switch to lightweight rims and non runflat sticky tires- ASAP
You'll notice the difference from using the stock wheels and runflats.
Amen to that. When I lost the factory wheels and runflats for SSRs and non runflats, I lost a phantom passenger in the bargain. (The car accelerated as if it was carrying 150 lbs less; braking distance was shorter as well... again, the phantom passenger.)

Old 06-04-2006 | 10:34 PM
CooperDrew
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Stricks
Wow -- 270HP?!?! Tell us what kind of mods your running!
Holy crap yes!!!!

Old 06-04-2006 | 10:40 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by checkers
I think if you check with your dealer they should be able to help, there is an update for the software for the trans that resets the defalt codes I think you will like it. Have a nice day
Really? That's the first I've heard of it. Can you give us a little more info?

Old 06-04-2006 | 10:45 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by skitelluride531
Really? That's the first I've heard of it. Can you give us a little more info?
Yes, more info please. Is this the DME re-program that is a current service campaign for early MCSa's?

Old 06-05-2006 | 07:52 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Wow! How did I miss this thread over the weekend?! haha

I have a Alta MCSa CAI hose on the way and should have it this week. I can tell folks about its fits later this week.

As for the tranny shifts, mine shifts rather well when driven hard. Its when you are going around town that it seems to downshfit roughly. Other then that its fairly solid in the shifts. But as others have said it pays to leave the A/C off during WOT unless your car is pullied. My car had the hesitation issue till 2500 miles when I got a 15% pulley added.

Also if you want your car to shift higher then the built in upshift rpm then do a lightened crank pulley. I had one on my car for 3k miles and it caused the tranny to shift @ 7200 in gears 1-4. Although I didn't like the higher redline or the fact that the car had additional vibrations which is why it came off. But that could just be my car.

Old 06-05-2006 | 12:48 PM
CooperDrew
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I have a Alta MCSa CAI hose on the way and should have it this week. I can tell folks about its fits later this week.
Your so helpful

Just checking your blog I found that insurance letter thing pretty interesting! I have Liberty Mutual, but did you look into it further? I'd love to get down my insurance since its due to go up when renewal comes around, stupid accident.

I really gotta figure out a way to convice my folks that modding is ok to do.

Old 06-05-2006 | 02:10 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by thespider530
Your so helpful

Just checking your blog I found that insurance letter thing pretty interesting! I have Liberty Mutual, but did you look into it further? I'd love to get down my insurance since its due to go up when renewal comes around, stupid accident.

I really gotta figure out a way to convice my folks that modding is ok to do.
That tube I spoke of...it arrived today. I'll post pics in a bit. Its freakin' huge compared to the MCS version. But so is our tranny

Anywho...no I did not check into the insurance. Mine will only drop with age (only 21).

Old 06-05-2006 | 04:50 PM
NRKTect
|
1st Gear
So I guess 18 inch rims are out!

Old 06-05-2006 | 07:07 PM
skitelluride531
Former Vendor

Of course not! I have 18's on my MCSa .

Old 06-06-2006 | 03:55 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
All up to your taste I have 17" MINI rims on my MCSa with a 1" drop via H-sport springs and my car looks like its sitting on 18s

Old 06-08-2006 | 10:48 AM
CooperDrew
3rd Gear
Hey mdsbrain, did you install the tube yet? If so how'd it go? Yea or Nay?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Performance for Automatic Trans