Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Installed the exhaust system today... and...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 06:51 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed the exhaust system today... and...

it was better than I expected!.

Install notes:

The milltek arrived late on Friday. Opened the box to make sure all the pieces were there. It was packed very well... but the box showed alot of abuse. I spread it all out and all was accounted for.. Noticed a small dent on top of the resonator. It had no impact on the functionality.. so no biggie. Very nicely constructed! A very quality built product. The instructions said to remove the old system and install the new. Nothing more than that... The hanger system is all different for the mufflers... but it was easy to figure out. I had my son help me and it was easy to do.. Just a bit of a puzzle with the new brackets..
A diagram would have been nice... the milltek plates are a nice touch..
This is a true bolt on system. It bolted up and aligned PERFECTLY. The best I ever experienced.. No leaks, squeaks or groans... and no resonance! Clearance on all areas is like stock.. Much lighter than the OEM setup... that thing is heavy!

The test drive..

Fired it up after removing the jack stands... Nice mellow deeper tone but not too loud for these old ears.
The burble in low gears is awesome with a nice deep tone... very classy euro sound... not some cheap rice mellon launcher tone.
Under WOT it sounds deep and throaty... but the blower whine comes thru and in good contrast... At cruising speed in 6th, its like the stock unit.. not a decibel of resonance at any speed or rpm...
Very impressed with the sound , fit and finish... Great system!

Old 06-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like the Millitek; glad to hear everything went smoothly and your happy with the mod.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Stricks
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great thing is, it'll sound even better with time.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:14 AM
SOCRATES
3rd Gear
I received mine as well on Friday (from the group buy). I can't wait to get it installed. Thanks for the write-up.

-Justyn

Old 06-12-2006, 06:49 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SOCRATES
I received mine as well on Friday (from the group buy). I can't wait to get it installed. Thanks for the write-up.

-Justyn
It's very easy to install... I had the car up on jackstands and had plenty of room to remove the old ehaust in one piece. Installing it was just as easy since it was in 3 pieces.. You will love the sound and looks! Enjoy!

Old 06-12-2006, 06:52 AM
SOCRATES
3rd Gear
Old 06-12-2006, 09:07 AM
promking
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mikem53
it was better than I expected!.

Install notes:

The milltek arrived late on Friday. Opened the box to make sure all the pieces were there. It was packed very well... but the box showed alot of abuse. I spread it all out and all was accounted for.. Noticed a small dent on top of the resonator. It had no impact on the functionality.. so no biggie. Very nicely constructed! A very quality built product. The instructions said to remove the old system and install the new. Nothing more than that... The hanger system is all different for the mufflers... but it was easy to figure out. I had my son help me and it was easy to do.. Just a bit of a puzzle with the new brackets..
A diagram would have been nice... the milltek plates are a nice touch..
This is a true bolt on system. It bolted up and aligned PERFECTLY. The best I ever experienced.. No leaks, squeaks or groans... and no resonance! Clearance on all areas is like stock.. Much lighter than the OEM setup... that thing is heavy!

The test drive..

Fired it up after removing the jack stands... Nice mellow deeper tone but not too loud for these old ears.
The burble in low gears is awesome with a nice deep tone... very classy euro sound... not some cheap rice mellon launcher tone.
Under WOT it sounds deep and throaty... but the blower whine comes thru and in good contrast... At cruising speed in 6th, its like the stock unit.. not a decibel of resonance at any speed or rpm...
Very impressed with the sound , fit and finish... Great system!
You have exactly the three mods I am about to do. What are your overall impressions regarding the difference from stock 'till now? Torque,sound....

Old 06-12-2006, 12:18 PM
silver99
2nd Gear
I can't seem to eliminate the leak from the slip joint on mine...

Old 06-12-2006, 12:36 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by promking
You have exactly the three mods I am about to do. What are your overall impressions regarding the difference from stock 'till now? Torque,sound....
I did the pulley and the intake at the same time. Transformed the car completely. It's amazing how much quicker the car is.. especially down in the lower rpms.
The intake sounds are great... the intake is quiet when you want it to be.. when you want to play.. it whines up a fine tune. The exhaust now is similar... deeper at idle, louder at WOT and great feedback when you lift your right foot... The whine still comes thru.. crusiing is still about the same as stock...
I am very pleased with the power and sounds... next step is some programming to optimize these new parts.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:39 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by silver99
I can't seem to eliminate the leak from the slip joint on mine...
I used the supplied greese/sealant lube that ame with it... I also kept the slip collar close to the edge of the joint...Made sure it was clamping down on both pipes in a solid area. I fired the car up on the jack stands and noticed no leaks as I could feel around the joints when it was still cool.