Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain IC Airflow Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006 | 01:42 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Well my IC is currently off, and seeing as it has been so long since that happened I had a bright idea, why not clean it while its off ....

So I start cleaning it and well for the last 15min she just been gushing oil (well maybe and exaggeration but I'd say there was probably close to a 1/4 of a quart in there) all clean good oil but my word how was there room for the air to pass through, can't stay long as I need to go and change the paper towels soon.

Also I took the time to get some 2 hours cold eninge bay temps with the IC off 150 dgree on the block, 115 just behind the radiator and 88 in front of it so there is definately room for improvement.

Old 06-17-2006 | 02:00 PM
stevecars60
6th Gear
You guys are on the right track. By the end of next week I hope to have an aluminum working model.
If any of you remove the devirter from the scoop & you find that the under hood temp is better, please post. It has been cloudy & cool here all day & without that black thing.... seat of the butt feels good, real good....

Old 06-17-2006 | 02:16 PM
DeadEye
3rd Gear
New M7 Design...

Weren't the M7 guys working on something improve the airflow...
the curent IC has to force the air down verticaly through the IC -
The M7 design was going to arrange the IC core so that the air flow would be more horizontal and straight through ?
Anyone else heard of this ?

( this makes your pic look like a CAD drawing )

Attached Thumbnails IC Airflow Question-ic.jpg  
Old 06-17-2006 | 02:24 PM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Yup, the M7 guys IMHO have a great solution.
I think most of the guys here want to improve the stock unit.
How do you post a picture here??

Old 06-17-2006 | 02:51 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DeadEye
Weren't the M7 guys working on something improve the airflow...
the curent IC has to force the air down verticaly through the IC -
The M7 design was going to arrange the IC core so that the air flow would be more horizontal and straight through ?
Anyone else heard of this ?

( this makes your pic look like a CAD drawing )
Search for:
DFIC

Old 06-17-2006 | 04:15 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Dfic....

Matt

Old 06-17-2006 | 04:42 PM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stevecars60
I think most of the guys here want to improve the stock unit.
What I REALLY want is a DFIC.

But, until money grows on trees, (or my fiancee lets me) you are right... just trying to improve the stocker!

Old 06-17-2006 | 06:06 PM
obehave
6th Gear
To boldly go where no backyard engineer has gone before.....

Old 06-17-2006 | 06:26 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
To boldly go where no backyard engineer has gone before.....
Ahh yes the grass is getting a bit tall, the MINI seems to keep taking priority

I think having an engineering team through NAM has provided a good flow of ideas and witht he CAI project has managed to make a tangible and measurable differance.

Old 06-17-2006 | 09:37 PM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
Ahh yes the grass is getting a bit tall, the MINI seems to keep taking priority

I think having an engineering team through NAM has provided a good flow of ideas and witht he CAI project has managed to make a tangible and measurable differance.
And there is something to be said for us backyard engineers...

MINI engineers came up with this stuff with degrees from MIT or the like, and a budget that would probably make my salary look like chump change...

Us backyard engineers have some duct tape, a scissors, and a multi-meter with less then $100 budget. Yet I think we're coming up with some pretty cool and useful ideas.

Old 06-17-2006 | 10:20 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
This is true, I'd like to think we are doing just as good a job at it too, assuming MINI were to desgin a car purely for the enthusiast. Guess the engineering courses are paying off

I'm hoping to have a cardboard mock up done by tomorrow afternoon, I want to do some reading up on the previuos run at a hood scoop (which I believe is now the CF M7 Ram Air). Mainly to refresh my memory, but it seems like I;ve got homework again, only this time its fun!

Old 06-18-2006 | 05:29 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
"And there is something to be said for us backyard engineers..."
Yup...Jim Hall comes to mind... Look what he did in a small garage

Old 06-18-2006 | 07:44 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Update..

Well, in a nutshell I think my home breww solution was a partial if not total bust
Nothing ventured.....

In brief; went to an auto-x event today. On the way there I left the cooling kludge in place. 74º and almost all temps were highway cruising at 70 mph and some were at a 45-50 mph cruise.

Avg efficiency was 50.75%. Not stellar.

On the return trip it was 87º and all other conditions were as close to the same as I could posibly make them. The change was that I installed the hood seal back to it's place and only used the insulation as a barrier to fill the gap between the radiator support and the engine.

Avg. efficiency was 57.5%. Much better.

Next step, build a better barrier and then test with and without. Then steal ideas from the rest of you guys

Old 06-18-2006 | 07:54 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Well, in a nutshell I think my home breww solution was a partial if not total bust
Nothing ventured.....
Further than I got; ended up getting and going for a 6 hour drive with a hike in the middle to salvage the day.

Remember it took Edison 1k times to get the light bulb to work.

Old 06-18-2006 | 08:12 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
Further than I got; ended up getting and going for a 6 hour drive with a hike in the middle to salvage the day.

Remember it took Edison 1k times to get the light bulb to work.
999 IC tweaks on the wall
999 tweaks
Take one down F*** your car up

998 IC tweaks on the wall

Old 06-18-2006 | 08:14 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
999 IC tweaks on the wall
999 tweaks
Take one down F*** your car up

998 IC tweaks on the wall

Now I've got something to whistle while I work.

Old 06-18-2006 | 08:30 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Originally Posted by shankrabbit

If this is a correct assumption, would it be beneficial to create a mod that would block airflow to the IC from anywhere except the hood scoop and maybe direct it out the back of the engine?
Since I am lazy and don't feel like reading all 3 pages I thought I would quote this one section and bring up something that someone else may have already (if so I apologize).

I agree with what you say in that the air is coming in from multiple places, not just the scoop, for the stock IC.

This is why I went went with the m7 DFIC because it only gets its air from the scoop and it exits from the rear of the IC.

chris

Old 06-18-2006 | 08:39 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CustomAV
Since I am lazy and don't feel like reading all 3 pages I thought I would quote this one section and bring up something that someone else may have already (if so I apologize).

I agree with what you say in that the air is coming in from multiple places, not just the scoop, for the stock IC.

This is why I went went with the m7 DFIC because it only gets its air from the scoop and it exits from the rear of the IC.

chris
Page and a half, and we have self imposed backyard engineering bugets of $100 but an unlimited design team here on NAM. We all like the functionality of the DFIC, but are looking to get much better results (if we do it right even on par with the DFIC if we work hard enough) out of what we already have. Even some of the insulating topics discussed could help a DFIC with heat soak issues that any top mount IC suffers from.

Old 06-18-2006 | 08:52 PM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CustomAV

chris
Here's a summary of this thread for you.----------------------

Big budget and little thought = M7 DFIC.
(Edit: On the buyers part, not M7s... M7 was genius on the DFIC... don't want to get flamed by M7 and the boyz)

Big thought and little budget = This thread.

Old 06-18-2006 | 09:53 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
WEll I started drawing out my idea in PS and realized that even though I;m looking to improve the hood scoop to get the most cooling air, there is some nasty airflow off the bumper and the grill can go two ways into the engine bay then radiator and over the engine or it can be defelcted upward toward the hood scoop and into the IC one means we've got more air going into the scoop so the battle of air going downward through the IC is easier won, the other has more air into the radiator so the air on exit is cooler, not really sure which is better yet. The photos I'm including show wha t I magine air flow to be on the stock setup and what a hood scoop mod airflow would be (I'm hypothisizing on both) In the second photo I think a big deal is to capture the air that passes over the hood scoop and to take the air in there and get it into the IC asap. What the first photo doesn't show clearly is boundary layers and the fact that even though much air passes around the scoop on one layer gets in the rest get pushed over this means more drag and less cooling an outward and downward reaching scoop will harnes the air and capture multiple layers if we're lucky. Also I noticed that some smoothing of air off the bumper is in order, if we could get all the air pushing off the bumper to cool the radiator down low then block off some of the upper grille I think we may find a decent comprimise thinking in type, tell me what you think.

Old 06-19-2006 | 04:08 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Will someone PLEASE explain how to post a pic....

Old 06-19-2006 | 05:16 AM
minti
1st Gear
http://www.bbrgti.com/mini.php

Attached Thumbnails IC Airflow Question-bbr-miniram.jpg  
Old 06-19-2006 | 05:36 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minti
The M7 Ram and Extreme products do the same thing. That's the easy part.

Old 06-19-2006 | 05:39 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Check this out...

See #39: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...=1#post1006082

With my BBR bonnet scoop and stock IC I record practically the same air inlet temp as the M7 DFIC!

Old 06-19-2006 | 06:34 AM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by stevecars60
Will someone PLEASE explain how to post a pic....
Step one: Take a picture and store as *.jpg

OPTION ONE----------------------------
Step two: Find some place to host your images (before my own servers I used www.photobucket.com

OPTION TWO---------------------------
Step two: Upload your image to your gallary in NAM.
- Quick Links->My Profile->{usernames}'s Gallary->upload photos (left side of page)

Step three: When posting in NAM go to Advanced Mode and click on the little icon that looks like a mountain with a sun. Yellow background.
Step four: Take the location of the image from your hosted site and place it in the little box that pops up.
Step five: Click Ok.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain IC Airflow Question