Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain IC Airflow Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006 | 08:08 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by shankrabbit
Hahha... Sorry...

Here is another fantastically drawn work image... (note the wonderful use of color and chiaroscuro shading)

Gotcha, very patriotic BTW.
There's obviously variance in this part.
I have more of an issue with the top diverter.
You can see where the leading edge looks a lighter grey that the rest of the area.

Edit, don't let the lip of the IC showing fool you. It's the angle of the picture.

Attached Thumbnails IC Airflow Question-scoopinlet.jpg  
Old 06-20-2006 | 09:01 AM
Hammer
4th Gear
I am not an engineer - I didn't even play with trains as a kid, so cut me some slack . . . that being said, what about a diverter inside the scoop itself on the right side (facing the car), to push the air toward the IC and not onto the "S" cover? Am I making any sense? :impatient

Old 06-20-2006 | 09:05 AM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hammer
I am not an engineer - I didn't even play with trains as a kid, so cut me some slack . . . that being said, what about a diverter inside the scoop itself on the right side (facing the car), to push the air toward the IC and not onto the "S" cover? Am I making any sense? :impatient
Perfect sense.

You mean like this: (Gee... wonder who makes this?)

Only problem with that little thing is that it is $180. Well outside of our $100 self enforced DIY budget.

Old 06-20-2006 | 09:07 AM
Hammer
4th Gear
Precisely, which is why I was putting the task to you back yard train conductors to come up with a cheap & effective alternative.

Old 06-20-2006 | 09:14 AM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Precisely, which is why I was putting the task to you back yard train conductors to come up with a cheap & effective alternative.
I had a toy train when I was little. I LOVED playing with that thing.

Anyway...

I'm not sure the... diverter up there... of which I have no idea where it came from...

is the best design for diverting air. I am trying to alter the diverter to make air flow more smootly. That diverter looks like the big bully method of "GET YOUR A$$ IN THERE". Almost the H2 method of getting air through the IC.

I'm looking to design the MINI version of air management. Subtle and much more efficient. My current design (which I have yet to post) is a top AND bottom attachment for the IC.

All under $100.

Old 06-20-2006 | 09:21 AM
Hammer
4th Gear
That is called a tease.

Old 06-20-2006 | 09:25 AM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
That is called a tease.
BREWHAHAHAHHA...

I know. I'm known for that. (Note: 77 and 78)

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t=71139&page=4

Old 06-20-2006 | 09:26 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BFG9000
The rear of the hood near the base of the windshield is actually a high pressure area, which is why "cowl induction" scoops and CAI work. Venting the hood near the back would increase pressure in the engine compartment and thus reduce airflow through the intercooler and radiator.
Actually I was think more mid hood just behind the engine block to vent the heat from the engine and a little from the header, still far enough forward that the high pressure cold air isn't holding the heat in.

Originally Posted by obehave
Really though the testing has been done. Over 25 mph the under hood heat starts to evacuate very well.
But from our work with the CAI, we've also show just a few seconds at rest and those temps go from near ambient to well over 130 degrees and I know near the engine (undr the IC) block the coolest air temp I've gotten was over 140, when the block was sitting at 153 and the ambient air was 88, so a great deal is left for the cooling.

MSFITOY- Thanks for the link, I was hoping I could find that before doing too much of my own experimenting, always good to see what has already been done first. Could you put the pics back there? I use zoto.com for hosting photos, its free and they give you 2GB worth of storage space; then I just link them back to NAM.

. . . that being said, what about a diverter inside the scoop itself on the right side (facing the car), to push the air toward the IC and not onto the "S" cover? Am I making any sense? :impatient
I kinda mentioned that in an earlier post, and with some of the photos already posted I think there is a consenus that the stock IC divereter leaves a lot to be desired. If we can take that extra air and channel it so that it smoothly passes onto the IC (in what should be the cooler half of the IC) then I think there should be a gain left for us to find.

I should also add something I've been thinking about as terms of making the air flow.

While I agree that the amount of air is an issue, I've also been thinking about airplanes and aviation in terms of air.

I was just thinking about how important it is to make the air flow smoothly and efficiently. Not just to shove air in, but to shove air in a smooth flow and direction.

So what's more important... the direction of the air... or the amount of air?
Well both. Its a lot like the $8 at home depot thread, direction and smoothness of the air maximive what you have, the amount is what gets the work done (in a simplified manner). In the aircraft example the speed is almost double for a 747 while the wings are much bigger, so there is more air that is more precisely managed to get the lift needed. So your efficent smooth management is just the kind of thing we need to maximize flow.

I see the tease is back

Old 06-20-2006 | 10:30 AM
Hammer
4th Gear
BREWHAHAHAHHA...

I know. I'm known for that. (Note: 77 and 78)

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t=71139&page=4
Oh yeah? Well, I'm working on something that will pump out 1000 hp and add AWD to the Mini, while reducing 500 lbs in weight and costs $1.97, so there!

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:05 AM
obehave
6th Gear

Or maybe this

Also outside of the budget

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:08 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Or maybe this

Also outside of the budget
but that just blocks out air, ideally you want the scoop to take in at least as much then use a diverter insude to maximize the use if entering air, that just shrinks the effective size of the scoop.

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:17 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
Actually I was think more mid hood just behind the engine block to vent the heat from the engine and a little from the header, still far enough forward that the high pressure cold air isn't holding the heat in.

But from our work with the CAI, we've also show just a few seconds at rest and those temps go from near ambient to well over 130 degrees and I know near the engine (undr the IC) block the coolest air temp I've gotten was over 140, when the block was sitting at 153 and the ambient air was 88, so a great deal is left for the cooling.

MSFITOY- Thanks for the link, I was hoping I could find that before doing too much of my own experimenting, always good to see what has already been done first. Could you put the pics back there? I use zoto.com for hosting photos, its free and they give you 2GB worth of storage space; then I just link them back to NAM.

I kinda mentioned that in an earlier post, and with some of the photos already posted I think there is a consenus that the stock IC divereter leaves a lot to be desired. If we can take that extra air and channel it so that it smoothly passes onto the IC (in what should be the cooler half of the IC) then I think there should be a gain left for us to find.

Well both. Its a lot like the $8 at home depot thread, direction and smoothness of the air maximive what you have, the amount is what gets the work done (in a simplified manner). In the aircraft example the speed is almost double for a 747 while the wings are much bigger, so there is more air that is more precisely managed to get the lift needed. So your efficent smooth management is just the kind of thing we need to maximize flow.

I see the tease is back
Just to pick a nit, you're quoting me out of context. My reply was to BFG about using a scoop to evacuate air from the engine bay once the car was in motion. My statement was that this already works fairly well.
It had nothing to do with the car under static conditions.
So quoting me in that context is a misrepresentation of what I said.

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:21 AM
obehave
6th Gear
but that just blocks out air, ideally you want the scoop to take in at least as much then use a diverter insude to maximize the use if entering air, that just shrinks the effective size of the scoop.

Sorry but you're quite wrong.
I posted a thread that shows this is a very efficient piece.
A restriction would be a restriction no matter the placement so what you're saying contradicts itself.

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:25 AM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
AHHHHH!!!!

Asymmetrical!!! MY EYES!!!!!! THEY'RE BURNING!!!!!!

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:33 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Just to pick a nit, you're quoting me out of context. My reply was to BFG about using a scoop to evacuate air from the engine bay once the car was in motion. My statement was that this already works fairly well.
It had nothing to do with the car under static conditions.
So quoting me in that context is a misrepresentation of what I said.
My aplogies if it came across as out of context, I understood it reading the whole post beyond the quote (just used the part most relavent to my reply for easier reading). I was merely trying to point out that there are a variety of conditions affecting the under hood temperatures, so while over 25 MPH there is a great deal of cooling, that isn't always the case.

Sorry but you're quite wrong.
I posted a thread that shows this is a very efficient piece.
A restriction would be a restriction no matter the placement so what you're saying contradicts itself.
What I'm saying with the asymmetrical scoop is that there is a great deal of air that is deflected outward and over the hood if this air was brought into the scoop area the through a better diverter directed onto the IC there is more cooler air getting onto the IC which will help win the battle of cold air getting onto the IC.

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:35 AM
obehave
6th Gear
AHHHHH!!!!

Asymmetrical!!! MY EYES!!!!!! THEY'RE BURNING!!!!!!

Yea but my inlet temps are cooler than yours

Now if you stare at it for a long time you tip over and twitch like a tasered rabbit

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:38 AM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Design... done...

Now for a technical question...

Aside from welding and/or copius amounts of duct tape... how does one get sheet metal to attach to itself in a perpendicular fashion?

Would solder work?

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:41 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Depends on the metal.

Anyone else running a VGS? I am and its a great performance booster, but I've just been informed my IC in temps are "off the chart"

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:42 AM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
This really has nothing to do with anything...

Yea but my inlet temps are cooler than yours

Now if you stare at it for a long time you tip over and twitch like a tasered rabbit
Your inlet temps may be cooler...

But I found this and it makes me feel better...

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:43 AM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Depends on the metal.

Anyone else running a VGS? I am and its a great performance booster, but I've just been informed my IC in temps are "off the chart"
((looks at own sig...))

Yup!

I am!

I love it!

"off the chart"... meaning... ridiculously high? or... low??

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:45 AM
obehave
6th Gear
My aplogies if it came across as out of context, I understood it reading the whole post beyond the quote (just used the part most relavent to my reply for easier reading). I was merely trying to point out that there are a variety of conditions affecting the under hood temperatures, so while over 25 MPH there is a great deal of cooling, that isn't always the case.

What I'm saying with the asymmetrical scoop is that there is a great deal of air that is deflected outward and over the hood if this air was brought into the scoop area the through a better diverter directed onto the IC there is more cooler air getting onto the IC which will help win the battle of cold air getting onto the IC.

No probs. This type written stuff makes it hard, at least for me, to get things across sometimes.
Agreed that setting still you're roasting, plain and simple.

Asymmetry, we don't like it. It's against human nature.
But once again, I did the tests and published the results here in doubter land. This setup ran consistently cooler temps than the OEM setup.

Here's the thread

Since this is a one off, for now??, there is not going to be any data gathering sources but me.
My next trick will be results using a stock IC with stock scoop and then with this design.
The downside is it's now consistently 15º warmer than it was for the first test. Direct comparisons between tests are not going to be realistic but design deltas will still be relevant.

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:46 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
((looks at own sig...))

Yup!

I am!

I love it!

"off the chart"... meaning... ridiculously high? or... low??
I think he means high...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eply&p=1008265

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:48 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Your inlet temps may be cooler...

But I found this and it makes me feel better...

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:52 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Design... done...

Now for a technical question...

Aside from welding and/or copius amounts of duct tape... how does one get sheet metal to attach to itself in a perpendicular fashion?

Would solder work?
Pop rivets, liquid solder, JB Weld, rtv adhesive, that stuff they use for gas tank repairs, epoxy....uuuhhhh.... yea that's it for me.

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:57 AM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Pop rivets, liquid solder, JB Weld, rtv adhesive, that stuff they use for gas tank repairs, epoxy....uuuhhhh.... yea that's it for me.
Excellent... always have plenty of solder and epoxy laying around.

Looks like I'll be doing some surgery tonight... MWHAHHAHAHAHHA

Quick Reply: Drivetrain IC Airflow Question