Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain IC Airflow Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:58 AM
Hammer
4th Gear
The asymmetry of that scoop would have to add like 125 hp for me to overcome the cross-eyed effect! Must - look - away! :impatient

Old 06-20-2006 | 12:02 PM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
Since this is a one off, for now??, there is not going to be any data gathering sources but me.
Hold up... you made that on your own?!

Old 06-20-2006 | 12:05 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by motor on
Depends on the metal.

Anyone else running a VGS? I am and its a great performance booster, but I've just been informed my IC in temps are "off the chart"

15% and a VGS with the butterfly aligned.

Under current conditions, mid 80's, 50-70% humidity running a GRS IC I see:

normal cruise 35 mph in 4th, flat terrain = 120-140ºF
same as above but highway = 110-130º

Hit it hard and I can hit 250º quickly. Plane out to a normal cruise and temps drops quickly and approach normal in 15-20 seconds. That long again to hit normal.

Old 06-20-2006 | 12:07 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by shankrabbit
Hold up... you made that on your own?!
No, someone with far more talent than me did.
Read above link

Old 06-20-2006 | 12:16 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hammer
The asymmetry of that scoop would have to add like 125 hp for me to overcome the cross-eyed effect! Must - look - away! :impatient

But she's a nice girl, good family, clean, and Oh! Did I mention she cools very well.

Besides, In the car I don't see sh!*

Old 06-20-2006 | 02:36 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
OK, back to IC air flow. I put together these composite photos made this morning. You will see that I have modified the Alta diverter with a dam in front and extended seals that completely gather all the air entering the M7 Ram Intake and force it into the IC. I have removed the stock hood diverter so the diverter seals against the underside of the hood (abrasion marks attest to a complete seal!)
From the front:

and in profile:

I have not logged any data and do not claim any thermal improvements compared to any other IC system (!)

cheers,

Old 06-20-2006 | 02:44 PM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gandini

I have not logged any data and do not claim any thermal improvements compared to any other IC system (!)

cheers,
Love the photos.

I like how you extended the alta to nab everything from the M7 scoop... genius. Did you just extend it with the rubber?

Could you take a closer pic of the diverter for us to see (or would that be giving away your secret )

And don't worry about the data or claims about any thermal improvements... you won't get flamed in this thread about it... like... in... other... threads....

Old 06-20-2006 | 02:47 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Here's a photo of the actual diverter:

I also posted some construction diagrams on another thread...somewhere here on NAM, so it's not a trade secret--I've already squandered my fame and fortune! There's little left to share but experience.

PS, now that I look at my "see through" profile photo, I notice that the little ram air duct that goes to the bottom of the intake box is quite a lot higher and back from the grille--so how is it getting any air at all? Has anyone ever put a measuring device in that duct/scoop to verify that air (cold, hot, any?) actually goes into it, and arrives at the air box?

cheers,

Old 06-20-2006 | 03:09 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gandini
Here's a photo of the actual diverter:

I also posted some construction diagrams on another thread...somewhere here on NAM, so it's not a trade secret--I've already squandered my fame and fortune! There's little left to share but experience.

PS, now that I look at my "see through" profile photo, I notice that the little ram air duct that goes to the bottom of the intake box is quite a lot higher and back from the grille--so how is it getting any air at all? Has anyone ever put a measuring device in that duct/scoop to verify that air (cold, hot, any?) actually goes into it, and arrives at the air box?

cheers,
Yes I have
Yes it does. That would be the reason, in my estimation, for the hole at the rear of the OEM box. Were it a totally enclosed chamber air would just thump into the box and rebound off the trapped air.

Very speed dependent. Just setting there revving the motor there were no readings to be found just in the box. Down in the intake tube there was a tiny amount.
There really isn't much to measure until ~50 mph.
I did this by borrowing Andy's Magnehelic years back.

Nice pics. Nice mod.
Your thoughts on it's success are appreciated.
Hope it did more than my less than successful try

Old 06-20-2006 | 04:02 PM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
the tease strikes again...

mwahahahahha

Old 06-20-2006 | 05:33 PM
Hammer
4th Gear
Blast you shankrabbit!

Old 06-20-2006 | 06:18 PM
obehave
6th Gear
mwahahahahha

That's the thinnest Etch-A-Sketch I've ever seen

Old 06-20-2006 | 11:50 PM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Time to put my head on the chopping block...

Ok. I've done enough planning for the top diverter and now I'm going to open up the thought for discussion.

I haven't completely finished the prototype, and I don't even know if I'm going to use it because the sheetmetal may be a bit too thin. We'll see how it pans out when I have it all fused together in a solid little block.

First... some pictures.

Please keep in mind this is not a finished prototype. I'm just done bending metal for the evening (really... a PIA if you ask me.)

Let me explain what I want for the final product...

BLUE LINES: Large scoops that seal with the bonnet.
RED LINES: Walls with rubber sealer to the bonnet (think Alta diverter)
PURPLE LINES: Medium sized scoops that do NOT seal to bonnet.
GREEN LINES: Small scoops. (think the one scoop on the OEM diverter)
The areas where the VERTICAL colored lines are will be cut out and open to the IC.

An image of what I think to be the hotter(red) and colder(green) parts of the IC:

My thoughts were as follows:
1. The middle of the IC will have the initial hottest air. The air out of the SC will want the path of least resistance which naturally is a straight line. Therefor, I wanted to focus MOST of the scoop air through the middle of the IC. That is why I have the large scoop just behind the center of the diverter that seals with the hood.

2. The stock diverter doesn't cool the front of the IC at all. It has one little scoop just before the middle. I wanted to force bits of air down at all major points of the IC.

3. There is massive airflow to the right and especially the left of the diverter from the hoodscoop. I wanted to maximize this air flow by segregating it and curving it around to the back. Since the left side will have more pressure and airflow the rear left of my prototype is larger.

4. When designing, I conceptualized the diverter as if there were no gravity and no downward pressure. Thinking that if the air was not directed down, then it would be useless. So I made it where at all points and what I thought to be the most critical points, I directed the air myself.

I'm really open to comments, questions and ideas!
I'm only sort of open to flames. But as Jesus once said, "Don't be a ****"

I'm going to finish this up tomorrow and maybe slap it on. (though I do have a prior commitment after work... grrr...)

For sure by Friday I'll have tested it if only to see if the sheet metal is thick enough to withstand the force. Maybe even snag some heat numbers to see if there is any difference at all between this and the stock.

Sure, jam bands are occasionally fun to listen to... but when a director controls the flow of a symphony and every instrument is perfectly in line with all its counterparts... then you have a thing of pure beauty.

Old 06-21-2006 | 05:21 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Ok. I've done enough planning for the top diverter and now I'm going to open up the thought for discussion.

I haven't completely finished the prototype, and I don't even know if I'm going to use it because the sheetmetal may be a bit too thin. We'll see how it pans out when I have it all fused together in a solid little block.

First... some pictures.

Please keep in mind this is not a finished prototype. I'm just done bending metal for the evening (really... a PIA if you ask me.)

Let me explain what I want for the final product...

BLUE LINES: Large scoops that seal with the bonnet.
RED LINES: Walls with rubber sealer to the bonnet (think Alta diverter)
PURPLE LINES: Medium sized scoops that do NOT seal to bonnet.
GREEN LINES: Small scoops. (think the one scoop on the OEM diverter)
The areas where the VERTICAL colored lines are will be cut out and open to the IC.

An image of what I think to be the hotter(red) and colder(green) parts of the IC:

My thoughts were as follows:
1. The middle of the IC will have the initial hottest air. The air out of the SC will want the path of least resistance which naturally is a straight line. Therefor, I wanted to focus MOST of the scoop air through the middle of the IC. That is why I have the large scoop just behind the center of the diverter that seals with the hood.

2. The stock diverter doesn't cool the front of the IC at all. It has one little scoop just before the middle. I wanted to force bits of air down at all major points of the IC.

3. There is massive airflow to the right and especially the left of the diverter from the hoodscoop. I wanted to maximize this air flow by segregating it and curving it around to the back. Since the left side will have more pressure and airflow the rear left of my prototype is larger.

4. When designing, I conceptualized the diverter as if there were no gravity and no downward pressure. Thinking that if the air was not directed down, then it would be useless. So I made it where at all points and what I thought to be the most critical points, I directed the air myself.

I'm really open to comments, questions and ideas!
I'm only sort of open to flames. But as Jesus once said, "Don't be a ****"

I'm going to finish this up tomorrow and maybe slap it on. (though I do have a prior commitment after work... grrr...)

For sure by Friday I'll have tested it if only to see if the sheet metal is thick enough to withstand the force. Maybe even snag some heat numbers to see if there is any difference at all between this and the stock.

Sure, jam bands are occasionally fun to listen to... but when a director controls the flow of a symphony and every instrument is perfectly in line with all its counterparts... then you have a thing of pure beauty.
You've been daydreaming at work haven't you. Come on ...admit it.

Fun isn't it
One tiny bit of info; front to back the part right over the intake gets hot quickly. Doing primitive hand on IC temp measurements the front 2 rows on my GRS tend to be the warmest after an auto-x run. That's in the early runs. After the 3rd and 4th run everything is so heat soaked it's all just HOT.

Edit; images removed for brevity

Old 06-21-2006 | 05:23 AM
minti
1st Gear
I have fitted an ALTA large intercooler with the air diverter that comes along with it. As I am not happy with it scratching under the hood too hard I first modified it and now I am doing my own design which is slightly different.
I don't have much spare time, but when I have finished it somewhen in the future it might be interesting if it would make any diffierence in the intake temperature at all. For sure I will post my results here then ...
Picture shows original ALTA diverter and below my design (not finished yet).

Attached Thumbnails IC Airflow Question-new-diffusor-alta.jpg  
Old 06-21-2006 | 06:16 AM
obehave
6th Gear
What a cool thread.

Let's see where all this goes.

Old 06-21-2006 | 07:26 AM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
One tiny bit of info; front to back the part right over the intake gets hot quickly. Doing primitive hand on IC temp measurements the front 2 rows on my GRS tend to be the warmest after an auto-x run. That's in the early runs. After the 3rd and 4th run everything is so heat soaked it's all just HOT.
Hm... that is some good information. That probably is because of there not being any sort of diversion to point the scoop air down. All the air rushes to the back first and then whatever pressure gets built up pushes the air to the front of the IC.

Old 06-21-2006 | 07:26 AM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minti
I have fitted an ALTA large intercooler with the air diverter that comes along with it. As I am not happy with it scratching under the hood too hard I first modified it and now I am doing my own design which is slightly different.
I don't have much spare time, but when I have finished it somewhen in the future it might be interesting if it would make any diffierence in the intake temperature at all. For sure I will post my results here then ...
Picture shows original ALTA diverter and below my design (not finished yet).
Ooooh. I like your design.

Any plans with management of air that flows over the right side?

Old 06-21-2006 | 08:20 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Hm... that is some good information. That probably is because of there not being any sort of diversion to point the scoop air down. All the air rushes to the back first and then whatever pressure gets built up pushes the air to the front of the IC.

Related to this, I've done a clever thing ( I think ). I will take some pics tonight once I'm sure it works properly.
Testing to follow.

Old 06-21-2006 | 08:31 AM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
To celebrate my shifting into 5th gear... I bring you this:

Old 06-21-2006 | 06:04 PM
obehave
6th Gear
The amazing moveable diverter

To continue the experimenting I've come up with a way to move the diverter hoping to isolate the best placement for it.
Gives me an excuse to buy a pyrometer

Or does anybody have an IF imaging system I can borrow???

I've been thinking of a smaller diverter about where this one is and this larger item about 60% back.

Old 06-22-2006 | 10:33 PM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Update...

Well crap... I ran out of solder... have to pick some up tomorrow.

Here is where I got to... just have to finish the perimeter walls and I'll be all good to go.

You know... bending sheet metal into a half circle... is a real pain in the ****...

Old 06-23-2006 | 03:00 AM
minti
1st Gear
Ooooh. I like your design.

Any plans with management of air that flows over the right side?
Nothing special. The sealing between diverter and hood will look similar to the attempt from GRS-Motorsport.

Old 06-23-2006 | 04:21 PM
shankrabbit
|
6th Gear
Getting closer...

All the walls are up... now just putting in the foaming to seal to the bonnet... stupid 30min epoxy.

Old 06-24-2006 | 07:37 AM
obehave
6th Gear
It's been 30 minutes??

Quick Reply: Drivetrain IC Airflow Question