Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain DFIC numbers

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006 | 08:40 AM
SpiderX
|
6th Gear
DFIC numbers - M7 intercooler

yesterday Atlanta Minis had a fantastic event at a home near lake Lanier in Gainesville GA. Waylen from Waymotorworks was down doing mods to people's cars and there were probably close to 100 Minis..... I leave the particulars to soemone who knows them better......

in that backdrop I met "Jenn" who agreed to take a ride with me and read numbers from my DFIC..... "Way" installed the probes and off we went. Jenn is accountant by trade and knows how to keep numbers...... I told her I would let her post the numbers before I did so I will wait but the one I will share is at during hard acceleration to 6K we saw 100 deg differentials from input to output in 85 deg muggy GA weather.....what does that mean....I'll let guys like Matt sort that out.....

Happy Father's day to all the dads and dads to be

Last edited by SpiderX; 06-18-2006 at 10:08 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-18-2006 | 08:48 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I'll tell you what it means...

It means "faster"!

Matt

Old 06-18-2006 | 09:11 AM
SpiderX
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
It means "faster"!

Matt

I can always count on you for that in depth, hard hitting, analysis...... your ability to sort out the subtle nuances, break it down, so that even the common man can understand difficult complexities ..... kind of like the "John Madden" of Minis......thank you

Old 06-18-2006 | 09:20 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX

I can always count on you for that in depth, hard hitting, analysis...... your ability to sort out the subtle nuances, break it down, so that even the common man can understand difficult complexities ..... kind of like the "John Madden" of Minis......thank you
Hey, have pity on the rest of us (don't rub our naivete in...)! ....(j.k you know )

Old 06-18-2006 | 09:22 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Unfortunantly..

we both (Madden and me) share a weight problem too!

Matt

Old 06-18-2006 | 06:09 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Alrighty... so we did a little testing yesterday and let me preface this with a few things:

1) Please don't ask me to explain the numbers, I will leave that to the few people who I know are qualifies to do so. I'm just an accountant that loves cars and read numbers off of a meter and wrote down exactly what I saw
2) This was done in GA, in the middle of the day. The car said 86 degrees but it felt hotter. I looked on the online weather almanac and it told me that it was about 90 at their reading station at the time we did this. Plus, it was GA humid. So maybe some of the qualified folks that I mentioned earlier can tell me how much this effects results. We have humidity here that a lot of the country never sees, especially the people out West.
3) Also, this wasn't a 40 mile trip or anything, I don't know if it keeps droppig if you drive for long distances.

I took multiple sets of numbers at each speed. Pre and post intercooler.

65MPH-
In Out
176 124
176 128 (4th gear)
165 124 (4th gear)
169 126 (5th gear)
160 118 (5th gear)

90MPH-
In Out
234 149
204 144
207 149

Standstill - 170 and 119 and 172 and 118 (this was taken at the bottom of the exit ramp from the interstate after hitting pretty high speeds). of course, if we sat there the pre temp went up and up.

Cruisng at about 80MPH, the delta was about 50 degrees the whole time but under hard accel up to about 100 MPH, the delta went to and above 100 degrees. I saw numbers like 240 and 130 and 210 and 135 and even a 205 and 120 reading.

From what I observed, the post intercooler temp went down slowly with maintained speed but the temps shot in either direction with acceleration. This was extremely evident at high speeds but also true at accel from a stand still. It was kind of crazy to watch the numbers go so fast away from each other... the hot getting hotter and the other getting cooler and cooler.

From the untrained observer, seeing only 30 degrees over ambient at 100 MPH was pretty cool.

Some facts I do know... I have yet to meet someone that has one of the DFIC's that says they can't feel it. And it makes sense.

The testing equipment has been passed on and more numbers will be gathered in a few weeks and in a different climate. Maybe then we will see more of the difference that the outside air has on the DFIC.

Also, on the way back from testing, I got to drive the DS machine and WHOA... seriously... whoa. I have never been so impressed by a MINI. I hate that there were a lot of slower moving vehicles around and the fact that I get sooooo nervous driving other people's cars but damn.... that car is amazing. It has tons of power through every single gear, handles amazingly and is just so smooth.

Old 06-18-2006 | 06:14 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Great stuff!.... not bad at all... too bad it's not bigger though... I bet it would work very well... the alta intercooler I have keeps temps around 80 degrees at WOT.... no matter what gear... from 2000 rpms.... all the way to redline...

and as for the presure drop... sure 1 lb in first gear.. at low RPM... but once the box is filled...theres no difference... and I am running compound air temps... imagine what it would be like SC or Turbo only... WOOT!

M7 how about making at bigger one as an option...

I wunder what temps I am running when it's 110 out with 130 road temps... LOL... I'll have to check!

Old 06-18-2006 | 06:28 PM
SpiderX
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jenn B
Alrighty... so we did a little testing yesterday and let me preface this with a few things:

1) Please don't ask me to explain the numbers, I will leave that to the few people who I know are qualifies to do so. I'm just an accountant that loves cars and read numbers off of a meter and wrote down exactly what I saw
2) This was done in GA, in the middle of the day. The car said 86 degrees but it felt hotter. I looked on the online weather almanac and it told me that it was about 90 at their reading station at the time we did this. Plus, it was GA humid. So maybe some of the qualified folks that I mentioned earlier can tell me how much this effects results. We have humidity here that a lot of the country never sees, especially the people out West.
3) Also, this wasn't a 40 mile trip or anything, I don't know if it keeps droppig if you drive for long distances.

65MPH-
In Out
176 124
176 128 (4th gear)
165 124 (4th gear)
169 126 (5th gear)
160 118 (5th gear)

90MPH-
In Out
234 149
204 144
207 149

Standstill - 170 and 119 and 172 and 118 (this was taken at the bottom of the exit ramp from the interstate after hitting pretty high speeds). of course, if we sat there the pre temp went up and up.

Cruisng at about 80MPH, the delta was about 50 degrees the whole time but under hard accel up to about 100 MPH, the delta went to and above 100 degrees. I saw numbers like 240 and 130 and 210 and 135 and even a 205 and 120 reading.

From what I observed, the post intercooler temp went down slowly with maintained speed but the temps shot in either direction with acceleration. This was extremely evident at high speeds but also true at accel from a stand still. It was kind of crazy to watch the numbers go so fast away from each other... the hot getting hotter and the other getting cooler and cooler.

From the untrained observer, seeing only 30 degrees over ambient at 100 MPH was pretty cool.

Some facts I do know... I have yet to meet someone that has one of the DFIC's that says they can't feel it. And it makes sense.

The testing equipment has been passed on and more numbers will be gathered in a few weeks and in a different climate. Maybe then we will see more of the difference that the outside air has on the DFIC.

Also, on the way back from testing, I got to drive the DS machine and WHOA... seriously... whoa. I have never been so impressed by a MINI. I hate that there were a lot of slower moving vehicles around and the fact that I get sooooo nervous driving other people's cars but damn.... that car is amazing. It has tons of power through every single gear, handles amazingly and is just so smooth.
Jenn, It was fun to get this done....thanks .....It did feel hotter than 86 so I'm glad you checked......thanks for the compliments... the "Spider(X)" appreciates it.....thanks again

Tuls,.... all I can say is that when the Alta came off and the M7 DFIC went on the car came very much more alive.....

Old 06-18-2006 | 06:38 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus

Tuls,.... all I can say is that when the Alta came off and the M7 DFIC went on the car came very much more alive.....
kewl man... nothing personal... just #s... it's not subjective... just data... i am not here to bust *****... just talking efficency... for instance...
just made 303 WHP on 91 with 17 lbs of turbo only a few days ago... crazy to see how much efficency maters... just crazy

Old 06-18-2006 | 07:03 PM
SpiderX
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tuls
kewl man... nothing personal... just #s... it's not subjective... just data... i am not here to bust *****... just talking efficency... for instance...
just made 303 WHP on 91 with 17 lbs of turbo only a few days ago... crazy to see how much efficency maters... just crazy
It's cool.... I did not take it that way.....

Old 06-18-2006 | 07:23 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
It's cool.... I did not take it that way.....
yeah... I didn't think so... yer such a nice guy... I was more stating it for those who get bent... LOL

you the man!

Old 06-18-2006 | 07:27 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
the alta intercooler I have keeps temps around 80 degrees at WOT.... no matter what gear...
What are your pre-core temps? No offense (please don't read it like that! ), but I don't think many sets of twin charge intake temps have been noted around here. If you're not seeing nearly or more than 200 degrees pre-IC, then that would easily make this apples to oranges... Also, since you're in Arizona, without much humidity, it's not really an easy comparison on the basis of humidity (ICs cool the charge so much better in low humidity, it's unreal!)... GA and, even more dramatically, Fl(!!!) have ridiculously choking humidity in the summer. I'd hate to see my charge numbers with my stock IC! As I write this, at 10 pm on what was a sadly overcast day, it's 84% humidity here in north Florida. ::cringe::

Those are some amazing numbers for a Georgia summer, Spider... I can't imagine what they'd be if you were testing in the dry, even sometimes cool desert air on a summer evening like last night's...

Old 06-18-2006 | 07:31 PM
obehave
6th Gear

65MPH-
In Out
176 124
176 128 (4th gear)
165 124 (4th gear)
169 126 (5th gear)
160 118 (5th gear)

90MPH-
In Out
234 149
204 144
207 149

Very similar conditions in VA today.
I'd like to know what RPM you were pulling those temps at. They're much higher than what I saw cruising.

The avg of the first set of numbers is ~54.34 and the second (90mph) set is 52.43.

For my readings today it was 87º and ~70% humidity. All readings were taken cruising in 5th or 6th between 2500 and 3K rpms.
Avg inlet temp for 6 readings was 129.5 and oulet temps were 105. Avg efficiency was 57.5.

Doing efficiency numbers during WOT bursts, IMO, skews numbers badly.

For grins I wrote down a couple of these. The most dramatic being an uphill run coming out of a tunnel. I hit 200 - 111º which puts the apparent efficiency up around 79%.
This is a very transient effect and if the load were to continue, like say a long hill climb, you'd heat soak the IC to it's normal or perhaps below, efficiency level.

None f the numbers I posted are dead accurate and also don't factor in humidity because frankly, I don't know how

Very interesting topic about a very interesting product.

Old 06-18-2006 | 07:31 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear

I hope he doesn't state the obvious like Madden, I can see it now at an event:

Way takes off the pulley... Dr Obnxs turns to the guy next to him watching the same thing... "Looks like Way just took off the pulley."

Very good John I can see Pittsburgh just scored a touchdown, remember I am the one watching this on T.V.

Mikey

Old 06-18-2006 | 07:34 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by ingsoc
What are your pre-core temps? No offense (please don't read it like that! ), but I don't think many sets of twin charge intake temps have been noted around here. If you're not seeing nearly or more than 200 degrees pre-IC, then that would easily make this apples to oranges... Also, since you're in Arizona, without much humidity, it's not really an easy comparison on the basis of humidity (ICs cool the charge so much better in low humidity, it's unreal!)... GA and, even more dramatically, Fl(!!!) have ridiculously choking humidity in the summer. I'd hate to see my charge numbers with my stock IC! As I write this, at 10 pm on what was a sadly overcast day, it's 84% humidity here in north Florida. ::cringe::

Those are some amazing numbers for a Georgia summer, Spider... I can't imagine what they'd be if you were testing in the dry, even sometimes cool desert air on a summer evening like last night's...
Hey dood... I knew you would get on here... heh heh... all the technical people... WOOT!

SO here's my thing... I don't know the pre IC #s... but I am willing to bet my PRE IC temps are so much higher than any pulley car... bigger means more efficent with intercoolers... thats how they work... I have asked peter to test it... but it will not happen... I don't think he trusts me... oh well..

I have always been very honest with the community...

You have a DFIC?! :D send it to me... I'll test it... that would be kewl....

I am just tired of all the bench racing...

Old 06-18-2006 | 07:35 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
The 65 and 90 MPH numbers were holding stready at those speeds for a few minutes.

I only wrote down the RPM's for the 4th gear 65 MPH run... 4K.

If I get to be part of the next tests, I'll write down a lot more. I've never really done this stuff before. If someone who really knows what they are talking about wants to make up a chart for testing data and procedures, I will use it or pass it on to who will. For example, what speeds to hold at, what gears to be in for max. efficiency, etc.

Old 06-18-2006 | 07:35 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by obehave
Doing efficiency numbers during WOT bursts, IMO, skews numbers badly.

hmmmmn could be....

Old 06-18-2006 | 07:37 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Do you happen to know the pressure inlet and outlet as well? Just curious what the density difference is. Great work!

Wish I had one to test!

Thanks,
Randy

Old 06-18-2006 | 07:41 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
I wish... all we had to test with was the "grey temp box things with magical probes". I don't know what it's real name is.

More tests will come and we amateurs will learn more of how to do it better.

Old 06-18-2006 | 08:03 PM
obehave
6th Gear
ok... this is my last post on this thread...

I cannot belive you said that the #s would be skewed at WOT... that's the one time they are important... when you are at part throttle... there is less air flowing through the cooler... but more over the fins... I.E. ofcourse it's more efficent... so LOL... come on guys... seriously

I didn't say it wasn't important. And I didn't say "that the #s would be skewed at WOT" but I could have been more clear and said it will skew results.
What I am saying is that it's a point in time extreme situation. I couldn't in good conscience say my IC is 80% efficient and try to use that as a selling point just because I can mash the gas for a second and shoot inlet temps through the roof while outlet stays low.
Heck, I can do that setting in my driveway in neutral.
Now if I were to balance that by throwing 4 fat guys and their lunch in my car and drive up Mt Washington then you have encompassed more statistical variance and you will have data results that will stand up.
You cannot pick a point way out off the bell curve and say WOW!!! look at that!!
Cumulative distribution function blah blah blah. Stat was 30 years ago so I'm more than a bit fuzzy.

I'm not arguing and I am definitely not say x product is better than y but I am saying testing one extreme without an opposing extreme will skew the data. In this I know I am right. I was QA engineer many many moons ago, I have a clue.

Old 06-18-2006 | 08:05 PM
obehave
6th Gear
The 65 and 90 MPH numbers were holding stready at those speeds for a few minutes.

I only wrote down the RPM's for the 4th gear 65 MPH run... 4K.

If I get to be part of the next tests, I'll write down a lot more. I've never really done this stuff before. If someone who really knows what they are talking about wants to make up a chart for testing data and procedures, I will use it or pass it on to who will. For example, what speeds to hold at, what gears to be in for max. efficiency, etc.

Thank you.
I have an Excel spreadsheet I use. PM me and I'll be glad to send it to you.
Like Randy said inlet and outlet pressures would be nice but I don't have a way to do that so it isn't on the spreadsheet.

Old 06-18-2006 | 08:11 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Hey dood... I knew you would get on here... heh heh... all the technical people... WOOT!

SO here's my thing... I don't know the pre IC #s... but I am willing to bet my PRE IC temps are so much higher than any pulley car... bigger means more efficent with intercoolers... thats how they work... I have asked peter to test it... but it will not happen... I don't think he trusts me... oh well..

I have always been very honest with the community...

You have a DFIC?! :D send it to me... I'll test it... that would be kewl....

I am just tired of all the bench racing...
When I get one of these things, I'll send it to you for sure! I just need to save some money . Oh, the heartache of being just a student....lol .

I'll try not make this boring and theoretical, to hopefully steer this away from bench racing. This thread is about numbers, truly, so that's probably best. Anyone with a spare DFIC around that they can send on a journey around the US so we can get lots of data?

Old 06-18-2006 | 08:14 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
No fighting and acting like kids in this thread or I'll get out the hose.

We had a good time getting this numbers and posted them as honestly as possible... now stop.

Old 06-18-2006 | 08:32 PM
Wesport
3rd Gear
Hi Jen and Spider - How did I miss an Atlanta event with 100 Mini's. I could have made it 101. Except mine is in peices at the moment getting FSD'd, Ireland camber plates and Powerfelx bushings - to do to follow. Please put me on the mailing list for future Atlanta area events. Lets all go play at Raod Atlanta soon also.
Thanks
Wes

Old 06-18-2006 | 08:35 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
You need to be on the AtlantaMINIs.net forum!

And how in the world do I get on to RA? Do I need to join the SCCA or BMWCCA or what?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain DFIC numbers