Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Need some info from you Turbocharged/Twincharged "S" owners out there.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006 | 03:59 AM
SSMini
|
4th Gear
Need some info from you Turbocharged/Twincharged "S" owners out there.

Thinking about getting a turbo kit for the "S". I've done a search, but there seems to be little info out there on the Turbo kits such as Alta's. How many of you have the turbo kit and what do you think of it? Waste of money? Or best performance upgrade out there? What other kits are avail? if there are any. Is there a kit for a FMIC on this set up? In Alta's site, they state "UP" to 400 HP, but don't say how much the kit produces right out of the box. What is the boost level of the kit? The description of the kit "performance wise" is very vague. Besides this post (Link below) is there any others you guys reccomend reading? Any info you can provide would be great....
Thanks.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ighlight=turbo

Old 07-03-2006 | 04:35 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Here's a thread dedicated to twincharging:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ht=twincharged

Tonnes of stuff in there... enjoy!

Old 07-03-2006 | 06:00 AM
spillman
5th Gear
Twincharging is the best upgrade hp per dollar. However the limits of the stock internalls is about 22-23psi. Which will make anywhere from 250 to 280whp.

After that you need to replace the pistons with forged pistons. Which will take over 400whp.

Do not use a 15% pully with a twincharge kit. I have chipped the teflon coating off of my rotors in my supercharger.

As far as all the kits go... They all are capable of making enough boost to break a ringland. However Alta has the "best" turbo as far as maximum power goes.

Old 07-03-2006 | 07:45 AM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
I suspect that someday the Alta kit will have serious advantages in support due to it's large numbers of distributers. Right now, however, their kit seems "half-baked" with no ecu available, etc.

Old 07-03-2006 | 08:06 AM
spillman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Veni_Vidi_Vici
I suspect that someday the Alta kit will have serious advantages in support due to it's large numbers of distributers. Right now, however, their kit seems "half-baked" with no ecu available, etc.
Well as long as you don't mind buying an SAFC and a voltage clamp. Installing them and having the car tuned. Then that will work great. And if you use the stock cat then you shouldn't have any SES lights.

Old 07-03-2006 | 08:14 AM
SSMini
|
4th Gear
voltage clamp?? Can you tell what this does?
Thanks..

Old 07-03-2006 | 08:33 AM
spillman
5th Gear
Our tmap sensor (located on the intake manifold) is a 2.5 bar map sensor. Meaning that it can read up to 36.7psi. However that includese atmospheric pressure.

So subtract 14.7 from 36.7 and you have 22psi. If manifold pressure goes above this the computer throws a check engine light. When it throws this code the computer stops reading off of the tmap and relies on a "table" programed in the ECU. Not good sense it is programed for stock pulley size.

The tmap sends a voltage to the ecu depending on the amount of manifold pressure. It ranges from 0-5v. When the tmap sees 22+psi it sends 5v to the ecu. Which throws the code.

With a voltage clamp you make it so that at the most the computer sees 4.9 volts.

But here's the tricky part. If you are using an SAFC to tune the car. When you subtract fuel you are lowering the amount of voltage the ECU sees from the tmap. So to a certain extent the SAFC acts as a voltage clamp. I was able to do 27.8psi without maxing out the tmap.

Old 07-03-2006 | 09:16 AM
SSMini
|
4th Gear
spillman, Thanks for taking the time to explain what the voltage clamp is. I understand now. What could one expect HP/Performance wise from the kit installed and go. No boost increase, just install the kit and motor on? By the way, what is stock boost from the Alta Kit?

Old 07-04-2006 | 09:14 AM
Trickle X
5th Gear
In the ALta kit from the get go, you can safely run 16psi totally before you need to retune the air/fuel map. You set the wastegate so the max boost would be 16psi. Setting the wastegate isnt bad, but you end up just dumping a lot of boost. I went the route of adding in a boost controller to do setup, and pretty much shut the wastegate all the way. It gives me quicker turbo spool. I am currently running 23psi on stock internals at max boost & I am seeing around 280 to the wheels. When I dyno'd I ran 20 psi & put down 258. Since then all i have been doing is fine tweaking with my AFC & wideband gauge. I am setup to run a lot more boost once I replace the pistons, but that wont be till next year.

Honestly I think if you would just run the kit as it comes, you would prolly see around 200-225 hp at the wheels with no tuning.

Feel free to pm me if you have other questions that way you can give me a ring if you like to talk about it more.

Peace