Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Oil Change Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 10:07 AM
fredstaple
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change Info

I am going to change my oil before the 10K recommendation. Any suggestions on brand of synthethic to use? Will an earlier oil change mess up the computer settings? thanks much for the help with this dumb question

Old 08-14-2006, 10:09 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fredstaple
I am going to change my oil before the 10K recommendation. Any suggestions on brand of synthethic to use? Will an earlier oil change mess up the computer settings? thanks much for the help with this dumb question

General consensus is Mobil1. Like anything else there are other opinions.

No it won't mess anything up.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Johan
5th Gear
Not a dumb question...

Originally Posted by obehave
General consensus is Mobil1. Like anything else there are other opinions.

No it won't mess anything up.
Mobil1 is great oil! I like to run AmsOil in my mini. They have a new series called European Car Formula. It does cost a little more, I think it's almost 7 and change a quart But my motto is "Protect your investment" I've been using AmsOil for over 8 years and love it! -- Johan

Old 08-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fredstaple
I am going to change my oil before the 10K recommendation. Any suggestions on brand of synthetic to use? Will an earlier oil change mess up the computer settings? thanks much for the help with this dumb question
I'm in the Mobil 1 camp. Lots of other good synthetics out there too. Changing your oil won't mess up your computer settings. Just don't reset the maintenance counter. When it reaches zero it's MINI's turn to do the oil change.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:32 PM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fredstaple - I changed mine at 3000 miles. Switched to Mobil1. The computer didn't change so still on track for dealer 10K change.
Had a hard time finding a non-impact 36mm (I think that is what size it was) socket with a low profile to get the oil filter cover off. Finally found one at Checker.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
While on the subject of oil changes. I am no longer in warranty so I'm getting my oil changes done by my mechanic and not by BMW/MINI. How do I reset the oil change counter?

*EDIT* I too use Mobil1. However, the owner of the shop where I got my pulley installed kept yapping about some other oil he uses, I forget the name but I think I might be switching next 3,000 miles.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:20 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 02///MCS
While on the subject of oil changes. I am no longer in warranty so I'm getting my oil changes done by my mechanic and not by BMW/MINI. How do I reset the oil change counter?

*EDIT* I too use Mobil1. However, the owner of the shop where I got my pulley installed kept yapping about some other oil he uses, I forget the name but I think I might be switching next 3,000 miles.

I actually use Lubrication Engineers oil. Works very well. Beats Mobil1 in most tests and doesn't cost any more.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:09 PM
jgf
2nd Gear
I chge my own oil and filter ever 5000 miles. Mini's brand of oil I understand is actually Casteroil . Some auto manufactor's eg Lotus like you to use a Mineral based oil for the first 1500 - to 3000 miles as some say it help's seat the ring's,but most today eg. Viper start with Mobil 1 syn. from the start. Mini's oil changes are far to long of an interval esp. the first which is approx. 10000 miles. Tool is needed for filter and may purchase it from Mini Mania, Snap on tool's etc and is approx. 9 - 10 dollar's. Size is 36 mm.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:49 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
castrol syntec here

Old 08-14-2006, 04:08 PM
BUGETER
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Another Castrol Syntec user here. Although I do use Royal Purple in my 98 Explorer.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:01 PM
fredstaple
1st Gear
Thanks to all

...Especially the advice on the tool, will have to score one of those prior to giving this a shot.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:42 AM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
These may come across as silly questions, but, maybe somebody has some relevant knowledge here to save us all a bit of money.

We know that the big oil companies sometimes sell their products under private labels in auto parts stores or discount department stores. For instance; At Wal-Mart, 5 qts of 5-30w Mobile 1 sells for about $21 and change, while the store brand, full synthetic oil, sells for $13 and change for 5 qts! All the certifications and testing parameters for both oils are the same (according to their labels). Why is one good for our engines and not the other? They are both full synthetic oils meeting the same standards? Also, Rotella synthetic, a very high quality, fully synthetic, diesel/auto oil, in 5-40w, sells for about $3.00 qt. It again, meets all the requirements of all new vehicle manufacturers specifying this viscosity of engine oil for use in their engines.

Is there a scientific reason why these other oils are no good for our engines while Mobile 1 and Castrol Syntec are?

Harley Davidson had a big scam going for a long time about how their engines "required" HD oil to preserve the factory warranty. As we have come to find out, this has all been just a very successful marketing ploy. I have owned over 30 HD's over the last 38 years and have NEVER used HD oil in any of my bikes and I have never had an engine oil related failure or breakdown. Same goes for 100 plus other riders I've known and ridden with over the years.

Can anyone logically explain to me why these other full synthetic oils are not recommended for use in the Mini engine?

Much thanks everyone!

Rich B.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:01 AM
Johan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Rich B.
Is there a scientific reason why these other oils are no good for our engines while Mobile 1 and Castrol Syntec are?
Sure I understand with what you're saying. Synthetic oil is sythetic oil. I don't work on my mini or race it nearly as much as I do with snowmobiles and 2cycle motors. There is a difference with synthetic 2 cycle oils and I can see it evertime I break a motor down. Anyway there are independent oil studies that are conducted. I will google it later or if someone beats me too it feel free to post! -- Johan

Old 08-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well Rich B. I'd have to agree with you. If the oil meets the specs then it would be fine in your MINI. I've used Mobil 1 over 20 years without any problems. I'm sticking with it, not scientific, but it works for me. Your mileage may vary.