Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain DFIC Installed - Flat Spot Gone!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:20 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by k-huevo
If I could take a guess, I would think an exhaust port extension within the header primary performing as a true anti-reversion step in conjunction with a modified intake manifold & corresponding port geometries and Helmholtz principles employed in the design to address this phenomenon from both sides.
There you go . That's 1 reason the 180 was developed.
Port configuration is what made the Hemi famous, not so much as the hemispherical head but both high flow port & head, with only 2 valves per cylinder. There were many atempts made to correct the flat spot ( actualy more of a strangeness phenomenom ). Ford made tunnel port heads that realy only worked at high rpms, tunnel port intakes were built with huge plenums ( high rpms only, but had cushion ) and today with fuel injectors at the intake valve this still happens.
As Don points out this is a hardware problem. At one time I was told that the flat head was not as prone to having a flat spot but who knows. Maybe someone with a 48 Merc could put it on a dyno......

Old 09-11-2006, 12:52 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jlm
kueuvo:
nice to see some more awareness of the need for optimizing other head variables besides simply quoting my cfm is bigger than your cfm, eh?
How did you see my cfm?

Don't tell me.... there's pictures on the internet

Old 09-11-2006, 01:37 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
How did you see my cfm?

Don't tell me.... there's pictures on the internet
Are you kidding.....EVERYONE has seen your cfm .

Old 09-11-2006, 01:51 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX
Are you kidding.....EVERYONE has seen your cfm .

Well then you know it's actually CFM

Old 09-11-2006, 05:39 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a difference in my exhaust manifold “guess” and the one on the Precision MINI site. As I see it the port extension would be a sleeve within the primary; it need only be as short as a half inch or so in length and have a smaller OD as the ID of the primary pipe to be effective. It really isn’t a guess, it’s an established design that has yet to show up on any widely available (non custom) header for the MINI. A well executed anti-reversion step in the exhaust header can forgive some sins in a designed by committee intake.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
As I see it the port extension would be a sleeve within the primary; it need only be as short as a half inch or so in length and have a smaller OD as the ID of the primary pipe to be effective.
Are you saying that the sleeve's OD should fit snug in the primary's ID, or should there be a small gap?

Old 09-11-2006, 05:59 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A gap, more on the short side (bottom), and some on the top, just like stock; a little on the sides is ok but it to get that may require a larger primary pipe than needed (not ok).

Old 09-11-2006, 06:02 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice by John Haywood is an excellent source for those interested in studying the issue in detail.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
A gap, more on the short side (bottom), and some on the top, just like stock; a little on the sides is ok but it to get that may require a larger primary pipe than needed (not ok).
Does the gap start right at the flange? How are you able to weld a sleeve in the primary if there is a gap all the way around? or do you make it snug on the sides, and tack it there?
Sorry man, I haven't had my header off yet, I'm just trying to get a visual.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:45 AM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Long ago, I tried to improve some Pontiac exhaust ports (those familiar with such ports know there is a sharp right angle turn right off the valve seat). I applied the then modern thinking by leaving a bump in the floor of the short-side radius while lowering the sides. This central fin worked as expected to help the exhaust turn the corner and CFM was greatly improved... at high valve lift. The problem was that at lower valve lift, the airflow began pulsing (loud enough to hear on the flowbench) and the resulting turbulence destroyed the flow there, even at steady state operation. Add the dynamics of abruptly closing valves of varying frquency (rpm) + a throttle and it's pretty easy to expect reversion to happen sometimes.

Sometimes you can actually see reversion. Folks from the old-school should remember seeing clouds of vapor hovering over the carburetors of engines equipped with long-duration camshafts. See, carburetors are simple devices that happily meter fuel into the airstream no matter which direction it is moving. Those huge, lumpy-idling cams caused so much reversion that fuel was metered three times as the air went down, then back up and down again to cause an excessively rich condition... and a big flat spot. While EFI can take care of the too rich part, when conditions are just right (wrong?) and reversion back into the intake port occurs right before the intake valve closes, a sort of reverse supercharging effect can also cause a flat spot.

It is well known that tuning plenum size and runner length can be used to produce a supercharging effect at particular RPMs, so we have plenty of manufacturers offering variable runner lengths like Mazda or plenum size like Yamaha (SHO) to extend this range. But the number one priority for the MINI engine was undoubtedly packaging so we kind of have to expect things to be less than optimal.

You know the hollow plastic chambers in the intake tract of some cars that everyone removes? They're not always just for controlling unpleasant sounding resonances, and sometimes actually are intended to absorb reversion so eg. an AFM doesn't keep slamming open and shut, so I wouldn't be surprised if something as far away from the intake ports as a DFIC actually could affect some things.

An anti-reversion step is merely a chamfer on the port of the outgoing side: the intake ports on the head or the header flange.

Anti-reversion cones actually reduce the ID of the port and may cause power loss across the powerband unless the header is grossly oversized. http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_arcones.shtml
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/Volvo_Books/arcone.gif

Anti-reversion chambers are generally placed a few inches past the header flange: http://www.stefanoparis.com/crx/ias/images/52.jpg
http://www.stefanoparis.com/crx/ias/images/53.jpg
http://www.eastcoastseaplanes.com/antireversion.jpg

Old 09-27-2006, 09:14 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BFG9000
Long ago, I tried to improve some Pontiac exhaust ports (those familiar with such ports know there is a sharp right angle turn right off the valve seat). I applied the then modern thinking by leaving a bump in the floor of the short-side radius while lowering the sides. This central fin worked as expected to help the exhaust turn the corner and CFM was greatly improved... at high valve lift. The problem was that at lower valve lift, the airflow began pulsing (loud enough to hear on the flowbench) and the resulting turbulence destroyed the flow there, even at steady state operation. Add the dynamics of abruptly closing valves of varying frquency (rpm) + a throttle and it's pretty easy to expect reversion to happen sometimes.

Sometimes you can actually see reversion. Folks from the old-school should remember seeing clouds of vapor hovering over the carburetors of engines equipped with long-duration camshafts. See, carburetors are simple devices that happily meter fuel into the airstream no matter which direction it is moving. Those huge, lumpy-idling cams caused so much reversion that fuel was metered three times as the air went down, then back up and down again to cause an excessively rich condition... and a big flat spot. While EFI can take care of the too rich part, when conditions are just right (wrong?) and reversion back into the intake port occurs right before the intake valve closes, a sort of reverse supercharging effect can also cause a flat spot.

It is well known that tuning plenum size and runner length can be used to produce a supercharging effect at particular RPMs, so we have plenty of manufacturers offering variable runner lengths like Mazda or plenum size like Yamaha (SHO) to extend this range. But the number one priority for the MINI engine was undoubtedly packaging so we kind of have to expect things to be less than optimal.

You know the hollow plastic chambers in the intake tract of some cars that everyone removes? They're not always just for controlling unpleasant sounding resonances, and sometimes actually are intended to absorb reversion so eg. an AFM doesn't keep slamming open and shut, so I wouldn't be surprised if something as far away from the intake ports as a DFIC actually could affect some things.

An anti-reversion step is merely a chamfer on the port of the outgoing side: the intake ports on the head or the header flange.

Anti-reversion cones actually reduce the ID of the port and may cause power loss across the powerband unless the header is grossly oversized. http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_arcones.shtml
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/Volvo_Books/arcone.gif

Anti-reversion chambers are generally placed a few inches past the header flange: http://www.stefanoparis.com/crx/ias/images/52.jpg
http://www.stefanoparis.com/crx/ias/images/53.jpg
http://www.eastcoastseaplanes.com/antireversion.jpg
There you go. Nice post

With a heavy enough cam, on a 4 cylinder, with some DOECs, you can watch raw gas spitting right out. Some years ago I built an open class Briggs motor for my son & it would spit out almost as much meth as it burned at idle. Idle being a relative term 1600rpm.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:32 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Been there; done that!

Old 09-27-2006, 01:45 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Larry Clemens
Central Coast Coopers in Oxnard, CA installed an m7 DIFIC on my 2005 MCS today. The major improvements that I have noticed so far are (1) the car has smoother throttle response, (2) I can use one gear higher when going up some long freeway grades and (3) the flat spot is 90% gone

I have had my MINI for 19 months and have always had a "flat spot" between 2800 and 3000 RPM at part throttle. I have tried numerous fixes including an ECU remap, higher octane fuel and nothing has worked. After the DFIC was installed today the flat spot is 90% gone. I am thrilled but can't figure out why cooling the air intake would have any effect. Can one of you out there at least speculate what happened?

BTW, the installation went flawlessly. Matt and Scott at Central Coast Coopers have several DFIC installation tricks The air diverter does not cover any rows of the DFIC and actually allows some air to flow between the hot engine and the ceramic coated bottom of the DFIC. They also used custom, silicone IC boots, which are easier to install and have a better fit than the ones by Alta
maybe the cooler air is giving a leaner mix ;giving more torque lower down. i got more torque much lower with GIAC and it pulls from way down now . good on you .

Old 09-27-2006, 01:48 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dmh
The flat spot is a function of the intake port shape and has nothing to do with an intercooler or its function. (See my web site.)
well his flat spot went away with dfic so put that in your bicycle bag .

Old 09-27-2006, 01:50 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX
There are many Mini owners that disagree and claim no flat spot.....are they oblivious
grasshopper ...if the tree falls with no one present... did the tree fall ? (passes blunt to left).

Old 09-27-2006, 01:53 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gandini
...it didn't! There in lies the mystery, Larry. You had it, and you still have it, but it feels different. Mmm...
The flat spot, the YoYo, and other MINI phenomena seem to keep all of us wondering. Those with lots of knowledge and experience, and those with little of both (I'm in this camp.) Perhaps one day we'll learn the secrets. 'Till then, enjoy the fact that the DFIC makes your car feel better, and presumably, more fun to drive.

cheers,
and there it is ....no flow bench either . if it feels better ;it must be better.