Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain How do "ECU" upgrades work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 04:55 AM
morespam
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do "ECU" upgrades work?

Hi,

Just a few quick questions I am sure someone here can give me a hand with.

How do ECU "upgrades" for the Mini work? I have been doing some reading but am unable to find a definite answer (maybe one of the MTH or similar guys can pipe in here), here are a few thoughts I had.

1. Does the entire ECU get reflahsed eg: the software in the ECU is overwritten (similar to a BIOS being flashed on a PC), if this is the case is it possible for a ECU upgrade to change the version of your ECU software?

2. The upgrade simply "remaps" the ECU changing certain settings in the ECU but not modifying the actual software, if this is the case does that mean that ECU upgrades are independent of the software version of the ECU?

3. Are ECU "upgrades" diffrent for '05+ mini's due to the changes BMW made?

4. Also what scenario would cause the ECU "upgrade" to be lost eg: getting car serviced by BMW, etc.

Thanks for the help, I am looking to get the MTH ECU work done and I just wanted to make sure I had my facts straight

Old 09-11-2006, 08:21 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Originally Posted by morespam
1. Does the entire ECU get reflahsed eg: the software in the ECU is overwritten (similar to a BIOS being flashed on a PC), if this is the case is it possible for a ECU upgrade to change the version of your ECU software?
While that technically is possible I don't think anyone is doing that (other then potentially the dealers with images from MINI).

2. The upgrade simply "remaps" the ECU changing certain settings in the ECU but not modifying the actual software, if this is the case does that mean that ECU upgrades are independent of the software version of the ECU?
What happens is the tables that the ECU software uses are changed. There are a bunch of tables too. So by changing the values in the tables the engine will run differently because the limits and values the engine uses to run are changed.

While the values in the tables probably aren't too different the way those values are written have changed. This is because in the 05 switchover they went with a new ECU supplier (Siemens).

4. Also what scenario would cause the ECU "upgrade" to be lost eg: getting car serviced by BMW, etc.
The only time you would lose the upgrade would be when the ECU was reflashed. My dealer usually doesn't do that unless you come in with a specific problem that was addressed by an ECU update. Looking through my service records my 05 S (September 04 build) has only ever been flashed once. It was just recently when I went in because my engine was running a little rough. It turns out an O2 sensor was bad so they replaced that at the same time they reflashed the ECU to fix the rough running issue.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:23 AM
morespam
Neutral
Thanks for the info very helpfull

Old 09-12-2006, 06:43 AM
hopper
3rd Gear
So it is safe to "reset" an ECU that's been flashed?

Old 09-12-2006, 07:06 AM
morespam
Neutral
Ahh yes, thats one that I forgot to ask.. as hopper asked are ECU re-sets safe?

Also on a bit of a tangent, should I reset my ECU (if its safe) after I have done all my mods?

Old 09-12-2006, 07:23 AM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not quite sure what you are asking... When you do more mods to your car, all you need to do is contact MTH to have them send you an updated piece of software for the current mods. If the dealer reflashed your ecu with an upgraded piece of software, you will need to upload this revised software from your ecu and send it to MTH for them to fix. You can not put a MTH file for an older ECU software version on a new one. (Ex. You had v29 (or whatever.. i don;t know what BMW uses for software numbers...) with mth, but the dealer flashed it with v31. You need to upload v31 with the OBDII cable and send it to MTH for them to make a v31 setp for your mods.

Hope that helped...
Blake

Old 09-12-2006, 07:37 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Hi,

Just a few quick questions I am sure someone here can give me a hand with.

How do ECU "upgrades" for the Mini work? I have been doing some reading but am unable to find a definite answer (maybe one of the MTH or similar guys can pipe in here), here are a few thoughts I had.

No and no.

No, dependant.

Yes and no. It is a different ECU but the process it the same.

BMW/Mini reflash. If that happens just send me your file and I will send you a compatible MTH reflash.

Thanks for the help, I am looking to get the MTH ECU work done and I just wanted to make sure I had my facts straight
Answers are within the above box.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:11 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Ahh yes, thats one that I forgot to ask.. as hopper asked are ECU re-sets safe?

Also on a bit of a tangent, should I reset my ECU (if its safe) after I have done all my mods?
Depends on what you mean by reset. If you mean reset the adaptive tuning via disconnecting the battery or through the sevice menu then yes, it's safe to do that. If you have some other idea of a reset you would have to explain more of what you meant.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:00 AM
morespam
Neutral
Thanks, no I was just talking about a soft reset (ie: via service menu)

Old 09-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The soft reset is of dubious value...

there is a ECU reset function where the ECU relearns a bunch of items (like analog voltages from position sensors when something like a TB is at the extremes of travel) but you can't get there without special software. The reset you can get to doesn't really do much other than flush the on-board computer and a few adaption values....

Matt