Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain installed engine damper, what do you guys think....

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Arly
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked at these brackets. It is using the bolt that I am utilizing. Does this bracket connected somewhere else? It is unclear from this picture.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:51 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Upon closer inspection, it looks like it connects to both the rubber bushing and a second bolt further down and towards the front of the car.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:29 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, what is this thing anyway? I disconnected it to give myself a bit more room, and it hissed when I uncapped it. Reconnected after the install and everything seems to work, but it no longer hisses when I uncap it...

Name:  whatisit.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  60.5 KB

Old 01-29-2007, 06:52 PM
RA080624
Banned
i never un hooked mine i worked around it
i dont like unhooking things in my engine bay

Old 01-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Sparky
1st Gear
MCSa: MINI Cooper S automatic? MCS Stock:should this have been MCS Stick?
Anyway, what is the best engine damper out there? I've been considering getting one for my '06 MCS. I've only heard of the one from Texas Speedwerks.
I've heard about the noise and vibration issues as well, but I have a Magnaflow exhaust, it drowns out everything anyway.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:06 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Originally Posted by T.E. Hiskey
MCSa: MINI Cooper S automatic? MCS Stock:should this have been MCS Stick?
Anyway, what is the best engine damper out there? I've been considering getting one for my '06 MCS. I've only heard of the one from Texas Speedwerks.
I've heard about the noise and vibration issues as well, but I have a Magnaflow exhaust, it drowns out everything anyway.
This thread was started by a guy who bought (and thoroughly enjoys) my engine damper kit.

Check out the links in my signature for other threads with feedback.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:11 PM
RA080624
Banned
there is a long debate about it and personal preference if price is not an option then id go with the tsw one it has strong mounting points i cant speak for lordoftheflies because i have his product but i do enjoy my tsw one

Old 01-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Sparky
1st Gear
Thanks for the info. Next question. My engine mount failed and was replaced twice under warranty in the first 15.000 mi. that I had my car. Will the damper help or make matters worse?

Old 01-29-2007, 07:23 PM
RA080624
Banned
it wont happen again

Old 01-29-2007, 08:05 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Originally Posted by scandune
it wont happen again
That's not entirely true.

Whilst an additional engine damper will help, I had my wife's stock motor mount puke. She only has 5000 miles on her 06 MCS and has had the damper on for a few thousand.

So the moral of the story is the aftermarket engine damper will delay this from happening but it won't prevent it. If the stock mount was on its way out, then it's just a matter of time before it pukes.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:08 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
If you're still under warranty and the mount craps out, do yourself a favor and remove the dampener before bringing the car in. Even odds the dealer will try and say that the damage was caused by the evil aftermarket part.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:44 AM
Arly
4th Gear
Why not use a nut insert in the hole for the frame mount. That would be an easy install/uninstall feature. I am thinking of getting one from McMaster Car. The nut insert, however, requires a tool to install it. This might be a good investment for a tool to add a place to bolt on parts very securely where you can not get to the other side. Those M7 USS should have the tool when they installed theirs......HMMMMM? Anyone have one to sell?

Old 01-30-2007, 05:51 AM
MiniMaybee
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ImagoX - did you ever learn what it was that hissed at you?
Arly - I installed the M7 USS so I still have the tool (I can't really remember what it looked like though - it's hell to get old), but if you really want one I can dig it out.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:32 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Hey, what is this thing anyway? I disconnected it to give myself a bit more room, and it hissed when I uncapped it. Reconnected after the install and everything seems to work, but it no longer hisses when I uncap it...

Originally Posted by MiniMaybee
ImagoX - did you ever learn what it was that hissed at you?
RealOEM calls it a fuel tank breather valve...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...77&hg=13&fg=15

Old 01-30-2007, 07:06 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Cool... thanks. I figured something SO easy to disconnect could probably BE disconnected without negative impact, but it's good to know anyway. I have to bookmark that realoem site.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:08 AM
Arly
4th Gear
MINIBEE,
Sent you a PM. Please let me know.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:12 AM
justintime
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PrplPplEtr
tightens up the driveline lash too so that throttle changes are not so violent.

(in any gear above 2nd, try cruising at 4k revs then pull your foot completely off the throttle, then plant it again. the "bucking" you feel b4 your car changes speed is what i am talking about, and the dampener significantly dampens this movement, hence the name).

AND here I was thinking that was just all that POWER the mini has

Old 02-19-2007, 12:08 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 280 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniMaybee
Don't feel bad Matt, I dropped mine not once but four times during the install. I ended up just taking that plastic air dam piece off under the front bumper. After that every time I dropped the bolt or the nut or the bolt and nut or my wrench or my flashlight, they just fell right though to the ground.
Ok just installed mine yesterday and I Love it (Thanks Shoe)
For those of you that have not done this yet as you've read above the washers on the long bolt can be tricky, your working in a very tight space and coordination and small fingers are very helpful.( which I'm sorry to say I have neither ) and a magnetic pick-up tool is almost an "Absolute Must" ( mine is on a 2' long spring, and I had to go fishing more than a few times )

That being said, Hears a little trick to try:
After doing all the pre-fit trial's for length, and your ready to do the final install, place the long bolt through the Damper slide on the bell washer and flat washer, then take a 1 1/2" to 2" long piece of electrical tape over the top of the thread (not around.) centering the bolt on the tape, then extend it down approximately 1/4" and press it tightly to the thread, then bring the flat washer up to where the tape is, and take the excess tape and press it on and around the flat washer (by only taping approx. 1/4" or so it still allows the bolt some movement for the install). Then do your install, once you've pushed the bolt up through the hole you can easily remove the tape with a small flat screwdriver, tweasers or something. (you only have to worry about removing the tape from the thread, the rest of it can stay if you don't get it all off). This should hold everything in place while doing your install (even though this works ok, you should still have a pick-up tool just in case, Better safe than finding new parts and turning a fun and easy install into a frustrating job.)

Old 02-21-2007, 07:11 PM
jclayto
1st Gear
I got mine today and installed it. It makes a real difference. It is a pain in the **** to install. I have big fingers and cussed it more than a couple of times. definatly need the telescoping magnet. Its worth the 50 bucks.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:08 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
I installed mine 2 weeks ago. I have a 2003 MINI Cooper S.

Here's how I installed the screw holding the bracket. I used a screwdriver and a bit of tape. Using the tape to hold the screw on the screwdriver, I slipped the screw under the frame and in the hole. Then I pulled on the screwdriver to release it. The tape is still on the bolt, but who cares.... lol

Driving impression: There is a little (very little) more vibration inside the car, but nothing annoying. It really does make a difference. I took the RPM to 6000 and let my feet off the throttle. There was no more engine movement, or very little. On hard shifts, the engine feels like it is connected to the car and everything feels solid.

I recommand it to everyone!!

Great job TheLordOfTheFlies & Partsman!

btw, installation took 20 minutes, and I took my time.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:46 PM
hd05
2nd Gear
Hey Everyone...

I posted about how much I love this mod. I STILL LOVE IT...

I do have a question though. My dampener came loose, not where the bolts are attached to the engine and frame, but the red part of the dampener and the little nut at the top... they both came loose and caused a popping noise when driving... i have hand tighten it for now until i can get home and fix it, but I am NOT looking forward to taking it out and installing it back again (its not the most fun install)...

Just wondering if I did something wrong or if this is known to happen... thanks,

Allen

Old 02-27-2007, 01:02 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hd05
Hey Everyone...

I posted about how much I love this mod. I STILL LOVE IT...

I do have a question though. My dampener came loose, not where the bolts are attached to the engine and frame, but the red part of the dampener and the little nut at the top... they both came loose and caused a popping noise when driving... i have hand tighten it for now until i can get home and fix it, but I am NOT looking forward to taking it out and installing it back again (its not the most fun install)...

Just wondering if I did something wrong or if this is known to happen... thanks,

Allen
Hi Allen. Glad you love it.

Do you mean the butt cap of the damper body that is the same color as the body of the damper? If so, the butt cap was probably not tight enough from the factory. You should make sure that everything is tight before installing the damper.

The second time around the install is much better.....and by the time you do 50, it's a breeze.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:05 PM
hd05
2nd Gear
Yes, thats the part I'm talking about.... I'lll make sure its EXTRA tight this time... cause i dont want to do 50 installs... hahaha

thanks,

Allen

Old 02-27-2007, 05:51 PM
ncdave
5th Gear
i was checking out HarborFreight's flyer for stubbies and they have
a metric set for $27 (or something) but it has all but 17mm. [/quote]

Any excuse to buy a new tool (stubbies, that is). Personally, though, I would avoid imported tools like those from Harbor Freight as nothing is worse than having a wrench snap while working in an enclosed space (I nearly bled to death when I was younger and poorer). Truly - stick to quality stuff as they'll last a lifetime. Craftmen and Kobalt are pretty good and readily available.

Now I'm down to plotting the best way to hold all the bits together when my damper arrives.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:04 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ncdave
Now I'm down to plotting the best way to hold all the bits together when my damper arrives.
from what i heard before my install tape was the way to go, but i had shoe do it for me cause i am way to uncoordinated and i dropped the nut and bolt onto the inside of the skid plate about seven times

Quick Reply: Drivetrain installed engine damper, what do you guys think....