Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 12:25 PM
sprcoper
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbocharger

Has anyone just takin the supercharger and swaped it with a turbocharger?

Old 01-02-2007, 12:29 PM
miniflop
Banned
Originally Posted by sprcoper

Yes,
just do a search under turbo and there are plenty of threads.

Bill

Old 01-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
Yep we have done a few.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by sprcoper
And some have added a turbo and kept their Supercharger= Twin charged.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
i heard twincharged isnt good. Heard the engine runs hot with it.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:52 PM
sprcoper
1st Gear
how does the power compare to the twincharge kit with b igger turbos

Old 01-04-2007, 06:04 PM
JuniorMint
3rd Gear
Talk to the fireballed guys they seem to be the leaders in that area, also mini-madness has been developing a turbo only kit rumored to make around 335hp, its not out yet but their tester has been in euro tuner magazine and if your on their mailing list you could have just gotten an email about it. The one draw back is that it could be pretty pricey, but when making a change like that its probably a good idea to spend the extra buck for the quality parts and a very complete kit. I know that I am waiting anxiously for the realease of this kit.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:09 AM
luckydoggarage
3rd Gear
We've got the turbo kit. We have been doing all the development work for the kit Madess will sell, once it's complete. The Madness car is a "proof of concept" version that is running a stand alone ecu due to some design limitations. It is running our fuel system. Our sister car is a clean slate re-do that had three design criteria. 1. OBD2/ emissions legal, 2. Minimum output twice stock, 3. Operate as well as factory car.
The second one was easy. 303whp all day long. The first and third were tuff.
We got the car emissions legal in the spring and at that point is was about 98% complete. We had the car at MOTD 06 and gave some rides. Getting the car to the point where it performs as well as the factory with no driveability issues, flat spots and other annoying weirdness, has been very time consuming and expensive. It has also been very educational. With over thirty years in the business, I already had great respect for what the manufactures go through to get a product to market. The Mini is one of the most well engineered and spot on cars that I have ever dealt with. BRAVO BMW!
We have no intentions of selling a product that will diminish their product in any way. If we can't achieve near perfection ( nobody's perfect)then we will not have a product to market.
We are a performance business. We've been heavily involved in racing of all types. We develop performance mods for other companyies as well. The remaining task with the Mini is to continue refining the calibrations of the factory ecu then test it for several more months under all conditions just like we've been doing for the last year.
We are also working on a couple off road vehicles. These Minis will not be encumbered with emission regulations. They will be track only. Both turbocharged but with much higher engine output. Anyone interested can PM me for details.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:02 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by luckydoggarage
We've got the turbo kit. We have been doing all the development work for the kit Madess will sell, once it's complete. The Madness car is a "proof of concept" version that is running a stand alone ecu due to some design limitations. It is running our fuel system. Our sister car is a clean slate re-do that had three design criteria. 1. OBD2/ emissions legal, 2. Minimum output twice stock, 3. Operate as well as factory car.
The second one was easy. 303whp all day long. The first and third were tuff.
We got the car emissions legal in the spring and at that point is was about 98% complete. We had the car at MOTD 06 and gave some rides. Getting the car to the point where it performs as well as the factory with no driveability issues, flat spots and other annoying weirdness, has been very time consuming and expensive. It has also been very educational. With over thirty years in the business, I already had great respect for what the manufactures go through to get a product to market. The Mini is one of the most well engineered and spot on cars that I have ever dealt with. BRAVO BMW!
We have no intentions of selling a product that will diminish their product in any way. If we can't achieve near perfection ( nobody's perfect)then we will not have a product to market.
We are a performance business. We've been heavily involved in racing of all types. We develop performance mods for other companyies as well. The remaining task with the Mini is to continue refining the calibrations of the factory ecu then test it for several more months under all conditions just like we've been doing for the last year.
We are also working on a couple off road vehicles. These Minis will not be encumbered with emission regulations. They will be track only. Both turbocharged but with much higher engine output. Anyone interested can PM me for details.
Sounds like a $15K - $20+K mod.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:20 AM
luckydoggarage
3rd Gear
Actually we figure around $8500 to $10k. The difference is that these will not be sold mail order but only through select shops throughout the country that have the technical expertise to do the install properly then support afterwards.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:02 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess then that I misunderstood. I read this as the kit needing an aftermarket stand alone ECU. That alone is at least $7K installed. If you have a stand alone that is that much less then I would like to hear about that for sure.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:40 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Originally Posted by onasled
I guess then that I misunderstood. I read this as the kit needing an aftermarket stand alone ECU. That alone is at least $7K installed. If you have a stand alone that is that much less then I would like to hear about that for sure.
There are 2 versions. One with a standalone ECU, one with a stock ECU.

We've got the turbo kit. We have been doing all the development work for the kit Madess will sell, once it's complete. The Madness car is a "proof of concept" version that is running a stand alone ecu due to some design limitations. It is running our fuel system.

Our sister car is a clean slate re-do that had three design criteria. 1. OBD2/ emissions legal, 2. Minimum output twice stock, 3. Operate as well as factory car.
The "re-do" car is running the stock ECU (remapped/flashed obviously).

Old 01-09-2007, 09:53 AM
JuniorMint
3rd Gear
Is their any ideas about where the approved installers will be?

Also about that initial cost, once you installed the kit you would be able to sell the SC, intercooler, the horns, and intake manifold to make back some of that cost

Old 01-09-2007, 05:03 PM
JuniorMint
3rd Gear
With 300hp how is the driveablility of the car? Will their be anyway to tone it down, like boost controllers, their are days I would like to just get down the street and not achieve space flight when the boost rolls on. This would be my daily driver

Old 01-10-2007, 05:21 AM
luckydoggarage
3rd Gear
That's what the pedal on the right is for. Please understand that a well designed and sorted turbo car like ours drives no different than a stock S until you push the gas pedal hard. This is what's taken so long to achieve. A track only turbo Mini with a stand alone ecu is a piece of cake. To duplicate the elegance and reliability of the manufacturer is another story. This was/is our number one design criteria. Without it there is no merit to this for a daily driver.
Our street design does employ multiple maps for boost and fuel. Hi/Lo boost settings as well as adjustments for 91 oct or unleaded race fuel.
To answer another question concerning cost associated with a stand alone ecu, we are currently using a Perfect Power system that retails for about $750. Yes there are many stand alones that are way more expensive but they are not necessary for the turbo Mini. This is the system that we currently use for the off road version.
For the street version we are recalibrating the factory ecu. Staus report: 98% complete.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:55 AM
JuniorMint
3rd Gear
That's what the pedal on the right is for. Please understand that a well designed and sorted turbo car like ours drives no different than a stock S until you push the gas pedal hard. This is what's taken so long to achieve. A track only turbo Mini with a stand alone ecu is a piece of cake. To duplicate the elegance and reliability of the manufacturer is another story. This was/is our number one design criteria. Without it there is no merit to this for a daily driver.
Our street design does employ multiple maps for boost and fuel. Hi/Lo boost settings as well as adjustments for 91 oct or unleaded race fuel.
To answer another question concerning cost associated with a stand alone ecu, we are currently using a Perfect Power system that retails for about $750. Yes there are many stand alones that are way more expensive but they are not necessary for the turbo Mini. This is the system that we currently use for the off road version.
For the street version we are recalibrating the factory ecu. Staus report: 98% complete.

Man I can't wait, thanks for the info. Its awsome that your focus is elegance and reliability rather than just get it out into the market. great work, I have started saving already, you have sold me

Old 01-10-2007, 06:26 PM
JuniorMint
3rd Gear
For me the Ultimate pproject would be to take this kit and custom fab some piping and a front mount and run a cooper hood, that would be a real sleeper

Old 01-11-2007, 05:44 AM
luckydoggarage
3rd Gear
Been there. Done that.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:58 AM
JuniorMint
3rd Gear
Been there. Done that.
Don't burst my bubble

Old 01-11-2007, 07:08 AM
robino
4th Gear
throw a g3071 in your Mini and be the first guy at the finish line...

happened to see one in the f/s forum...weird.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JuniorMint
For me the Ultimate pproject would be to take this kit and custom fab some piping and a front mount and run a cooper hood, that would be a real sleeper
Mine Too! I love the Cooper hood...

Also, you could sell the stock header to help recoup some of the cost. Maybe stock pistons and such also?

Old 01-11-2007, 07:44 PM
sprcoper
1st Gear
i think the twincharge kit is for me

Old 01-11-2007, 07:56 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Since my car has taken dump this week, I going to go ahead and put in CP pistions, Quaife Diff and a Racing clutch to support an all turbo Mini later this year. My goal is to have 320whp with 260wtq and for it to be a daily driver and for it to drive like a stock Mini except when I stomp on it and I pass by my buddies supercharged C6 Vette. The look on his face will be priceless.

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 01-11-2007, 08:40 PM
SharoSC02
5th Gear
just in the process of having a head, shrick cam, Nology wires, NGK Spark plugs, stock 06 crank pulley with an M7 oil catch can ordered and installed. Next project is going to be neg camber plates, springs and shocks with arm and strut bar.

So far with the newly to be upgrades, my total performance upgrades will have been somewhere around $7k.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:12 PM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Since my car has taken dump this week, I going to go ahead and put in CP pistions, Quaife Diff and a Racing clutch to support an all turbo Mini later this year. My goal is to have 320whp with 260wtq and for it to be a daily driver and for it to drive like a stock Mini except when I stomp on it and I pass by my buddies supercharged C6 Vette. The look on his face will be priceless.
What'd I miss?!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Turbocharger