Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Just a little fun before getting JCW kit. Err... my way

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HEMI-MINI
So...would it have been cheaper to just buy a JCW'ed MINI from the factory? Not poking or proding...just curious
I can tell you up front, no it wouldn't. The cost of the factory JCW was actually the same overall cost as having a dealer install the JCW kit... except that the factory kit included the JCW brakes.

So the real question is... if Maxicooper was to also add the JCW brakes, would he THEN have spent more than the factory JCW kit. Even then, I doubt it... but I'd still rather have a factory-built setup with full warranty coverage than the pieces.

Of course I got all of my JCW stuff the expensive way (dealer install), because the factory JCW was not available in 2005 models.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:37 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
I would imagine in the end it would end up costing more. It's one thing to have everything done all at once so you can limit the time spend taking apart and putting things back together. But when you start putting things on one section at a time you're going to have some overlap of work which is going to end up bumping the price. I can't talk specifics because I don't know them, I'm talking in generalities.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For example, I recently had a new exhaust installed and the Sportlink installed, since both of these jobs required removal of the exhaust, MoS agreed to shave an hour off of the labor since there was obvious overlap in the two. So, trying to plan installs/mods so that they coincide like that can save a lot of time and money!

Old 01-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HEMI-MINI
So...would it have been cheaper to just buy a JCW'ed MINI from the factory? Not poking or proding...just curious
Yes, it would be cheaper. But I've already taken a wrong route at the first place.

At the moment, I have spent about half of the JCW package.

(~$3.5k, I have JCW exhaust, Intake, plugs, JCW software, JCW suspension and front strut bar, Madness rear sway, and 15% pulley, that included parts and installation)

Old 01-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
It's all about bein happy.

A buddy of mine just bought a 2007 Impala.

Within 10 days, he traded it in and took the difference as a loss for a 2007 Magnum. He's happy with his decision and much happier with the Magnum.

We all make mistakes. Money is expendible (isn't that it's sole purpose?). Happyness affects everything, and thusly is a pretty high priority on most people's lists.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:16 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes
I would imagine in the end it would end up costing more. It's one thing to have everything done all at once so you can limit the time spend taking apart and putting things back together. But when you start putting things on one section at a time you're going to have some overlap of work which is going to end up bumping the price. I can't talk specifics because I don't know them, I'm talking in generalities.
Yes, you're right. (eventhough some of the vendors didn't culculate their labor cost that way ), and I did.
For example: I have the rear sway bar upgraded and front strut bar installed at the same time that I have the suspension installed.
I would love to have JCW kit, the suspension and etc. at the same time, that I was looking at ~$7K.
Even if I could afford that, but definitely, my wife would kill me.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
With all the parts that I've already had plus: coming soon: the injectors, my MINI's performance should be pretty close if not on par with the full JCW car and I still have some spare money for the rims and the brake kit.
I would be able to have fun with this for a while until next year when the rest of the full kit will come.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:34 PM
ciscovip
2nd Gear
maxi, look at this site you well be able to get just jcw injectors.

http://www.myminiparts.com/products.php?cat=7&pg=3

It is listed for 279

Old 02-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
It's on. I have the JCW injectors installed today at Helix.
First we've planned to dyno the car, but since the temp is so low, we might not get an accurate number, we decided to skip the dyno until the next time.

Driving experience 100+ miles on the way back to Md, the car perform perfectly smooth. My butt dyno shows the car is more responsive. Easier to rev, and can really feel the different on all rpm. I really love the pull from 65 mph up on 6th.

It might be because the JCW software is calibrated for the larger injectors. Once the injectors installed, everything is in place.

Next project, the JCW brake kit.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Maxicooper
It might be because the JCW software is calibrate for the larger injectors. Once the injectors installed, everything is in place.
<cough> everything except the cylinder head!

Old 02-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
<cough> everything except the cylinder head!
Err...coming, but not very soon...

By the way, today on the way back from Pa,, I have big smiles, sometimes event laugh by myself, every time I paid the tolls. Feel the car keep pulling...pulling, after paying tolls and launch, is so much fun. I wish there will be more toll gates.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:12 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
So stop eating and get that cylinder head already!!

Old 02-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wish there will be more toll gates.
Thats something you don't hear everyday

Old 03-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
I'm waiting for some funds to get parts on my Mini's new project.
I don't have anything to do to my Mini other than taking some pictures. Here are some, were taken today on the way back home.

I haven't washed the car yet, I know, it's kind of dirty. So, I manipulated the pictures a little bit.
Doesn't looks that dirty any more.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Or maybe like this.....

Old 03-01-2007, 05:32 PM
ciscovip
2nd Gear
The picture are cool

Old 03-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Alex@Helix
Former Vendor
Doesn't looks that dirty any more.

Might not look as dirty anymore, but it makes me think there was something funny about that hummus I had with dinner.

I like the pictures man, keep them coming

Old 03-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Have a little free time yesterday. Stop by at the shop near my office for couple of dyno runs.
Just to check out the numbers....before next mod, if any...

SAE correction @ 0.98.
Max power (whp) = 169.47 hp, Max Torque = 152.07 ft/lb
~190 hp & 170 ft/lb @ the crank...... right where am I looking at. I should be able to break 15s this weekend (with my 18" 225/35)

a/f graph looks strange on the 2nd run, I have to see if the JCW software that I have is the 210 hp upgrade one (tuned for intake and injectors). Or maybe it's time for a serious ecu fine tuning.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:32 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to see if the JCW software that I have is the 210 hp upgrade one (tuned for intake and injectors). Maybe it's time for the ecu fine tuning.
Question ...

I thought you had about everything (except the head) that JCW has? Or not? And your 20 bhp behind the JCW 210? Whats missing besides the head?

Also, isn't dynojet the dyno to be avoided as it always gives high numbers and Mustang is the one giving more reality? Or do I have it the other way around ... I keep forgetting. Anyone know?

Old 03-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
You're right, the only thing that I don't have is the JCW cylinder head.

I will stop by at the dealer to check if the software that I have is the right one or not. There is one that is for the 200 hp JCW retrofitted kit (no injectors and intake) and the 210 hp upgrade kit (add injectors and intake).

I calculated conservatively @ 11% transmission loss, which should be about right.

I will see the track time again this weekend. I'm looking at 14.8 or 14.9 @ ~93 mph, on my street tires.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:49 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
You're right, the only thing that I don't have is the JCW cylinder head.
How about the difference in Dynos. I think there is a big difference between dynojet and mustang but I'm not sure which is the better of the two (or the more realistic of the two).

I find this interesting because you basically got a JCW setup producing maybe 20 bhp less than JCW claims and when ppl go aftermarket vice JCW ... this is emperical data that all is not what it claims to be (in the sense that its not all that simple to replicate the JCW setup). Dunno.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
There is always an issue to campare one car on one dyno and the other car on other dyno machine.

I did this dyno to get the idea of how my car will perform with the mod that I have. I will dyno again after the next change to see the difference/improvement.

I've seen a few JCW cars dyno at 175 - 185 whp though. But again, I'm not comparing my dyno chart to other chart. Too many variable factors.

By the way, I will calculate hp again by using the track time, trap speed and weight of the car, and compare those number with the dyno number. If everythings right, the numbers should be very closed.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:32 PM
chows4us
6th Gear

I've seen a few JCW cars dyno at 175 - 185 whp though. But again, I'm not comparing my dyno chart to other chart. Too many variable factors.
180 whp is about right for JCW. Thats a .15 drivetrain loss. At 170 that puts you at 195 bhp so thats better.

I only bring up the dyno differences in that 170 whp on a dyno jet, I think, is not the same thing as on a Mustang (or the other way around). Ppl tend to use whatever the higher number is but then get a reality check on the other dyno (whichever one it is)

Old 03-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
If that is the case, I would take out the SAE correction. Then, the number will be, 173.06 whp & 155.3 ft/lb.

I think, as long as you use the same dyno w/ same correction method for the before and after mod numbers, the result should be pretty accurate.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:12 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
If that is the case, I would take out the SAE correction. Then, the number will be, 173.06 whp & 155.3 ft/lb.

I think, as long as you use the same dyno w/ same correction method for the before and after mod numbers, the result should be pretty accurate.
Assuming the exact same variables, temp, humidity, etc, yes

Its when comparing against everyone else the numbers get iffy

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Just a little fun before getting JCW kit. Err... my way