Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Just a little fun before getting JCW kit. Err... my way

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chows4us
Assuming the exact same variables, temp, humidity, etc, yes

Its when comparing against everyone else the numbers get iffy
Agree....

Old 03-06-2007, 04:59 PM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
How about the difference in Dynos. I think there is a big difference between dynojet and mustang but I'm not sure which is the better of the two (or the more realistic of the two).
Dynojets are known for giving incorrect readings, usually to the tune of ~10hp over.

Also you can't compare one dyno reading to another, even among the same model. There are far too many factors in the installation and running that can affect the readings.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
But then again, It really doesn't matter what Dyno you use...Just as long as you keep using the same dyno to check your mods...

This will keep variances down to a minimum and tell you truely if any mod or tuning is helping or not...

Old 03-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
And, my journey of "Just a little fun before getting the JCW kit" is almost to the end. The xxx intercooler and JCW brake kit will be my last performance mod.
Then it will be a little bit of exterior mod (for show, no go ), not too much, just for a clean unique looked........and it's done.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Maxicooper
And, my journey of "Just a little fun before getting the JCW kit" is almost to the end. The xxx intercooler and JCW brake kit will be my last performance mod.
Then it will be a little bit of exterior mod (for show, no go ), not too much, just for a clean unique looked........and it's done.
Aw come on... no cylinder head? You know you don't really have the JCW kit until you get the head.

Last edited by Edge; 03-07-2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Terminology correction
Old 03-07-2007, 03:33 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
Aw come on... no header? You know you don't really have the JCW kit until you get the header.

The header will be in the part 2 "Just a little fun after getting the JCW kit". Coming in Spring '08.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:12 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Aw come on... no header? You know you don't really have the JCW kit until you get the header.
I think you mean head, as in cylinder head. When people say header what they usually mean is the exhaust manifold (the part between the engine and the muffler system).

Old 03-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by CmdrVimes
I think you mean head, as in cylinder head. When people say header what they usually mean is the exhaust manifold (the part between the engine and the muffler system).
Correct, I should have said cylinder head. I edited my post, although both of your quotes will keep my error preserved for all to see anyway.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:27 AM
jhiggs26
6th Gear
What do you think the JCW cylinder head will do for him? Another 5 hp/5 lb/ft of Tq?

Jeremy

Old 03-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Correct, I should have said cylinder head. I edited my post, although both of your quotes will keep my error preserved for all to see anyway.
The head will come from the JCW kit. I will have new exhaust manifold & high flow cat on the 2nd phase along with the head as well.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suspect the head will add some extra horseys and improve gas mileage a bit. That seems to be the consensus I've read.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:24 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The head will come from the JCW kit. I will have new exhaust manifold & high flow cat on the 2nd phase along with the head as well.
Interesting to see if you actually achieve 210 bhp from all aftermarket parts. Add up the $$ ...

Great start!

BTW, new IC is cheating. JCW has no different IC than stock MCS

Old 03-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Interesting to see if you actually achieve 210 bhp from all aftermarket parts. Add up the $$ ...

Great start!

BTW, new IC is cheating. JCW has no different IC than stock MCS
What if the IC is also from JCW, called the "GP"

BTW, so far I've put ~$2,300 for engine mod parts/labors. Plus ~$1,650 on suspension upgrade (JCW suspension, Madness RSB and labor).

I'm quite happy with the result, well balance between power and handling.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:06 PM
chows4us
6th Gear

BTW, so far I've put ~$2,300 for engine mod parts/labors. Plus ~$1,650 on suspension upgrade (JCW suspension, Madness RSB and labor).

I'm quite happy with the result, well balance between power and handling.
Cool. Its the $2300 number that interesting. Let see if you get to $6K for a JCW kit and get 210 bhp. If so, you done good

Old 03-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
If you have genuine GP IC, you have to tell me where you bought it. I am interested in getting one, but I understand they are hard to come by because all of the GP-unique parts are on lockdown, exclusively for actual GP owners. I'm only interested in a new one, not used. A GP owner ripping theirs out for an aftermarket one won't do it for me.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Minut
4th Gear
If you have genuine GP IC, you have to tell me where you bought it. I am interested in getting one, but I understand they are hard to come by because all of the GP-unique parts are on lockdown, exclusively for actual GP owners. I'm only interested in a new one, not used. A GP owner ripping theirs out for an aftermarket one won't do it for me.
Ask and ye shall receive: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/John-...QQcmdZViewItem

I believe Dr. Obnxs bought one from this seller.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minut

By the way, if you haven't already have? This is especially for the pure JCW lover like you.
JCW drill brake front rotor.......

Old 03-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Cool. Its the $2300 number that interesting. Let see if you get to $6K for a JCW kit and get 210 bhp. If so, you done good

And my goal is not @ 210 bhp, GP's number will be the one.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Minut

Hmmm... SO tempting. I don't know if I believe the 15 hp difference claim though... but I'm sure the extra cooling helps. It would be interesting to do a before and after dyno test!

I LOVE the fact that the GP intercooler cover is black, not silver... helps to reduce the stain issue from the foam used to line the intake in the bonnet.
By the way, if you haven't already have? This is especially for the pure JCW lover like you. JCW drill brake front rotor.......
Yeah, I've been wondering about those... but I'm not sure they will work on 1st Gen MINIs... something tells me they are designed for R56s - but the next time I need new rotors, I'll definitely look into that.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:36 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Hmmm... SO tempting. I don't know if I believe the 15 hp difference claim though... but I'm sure the extra cooling helps. It would be interesting to do a before and after dyno test!
I will have the "before and after" dyno graphs for you, when I install. Possibly in about a month, depending on how soon the part will arrive. But I doubt it's going to be 15 whp difference. It may be about 5 or so at cruise speed, I would say.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:42 AM
luckydoggarage
3rd Gear
How much is too much

Here's another example of spending a lot of money and receiving very little return. I'll post the dyno sheets as soon as I can load them. Mr. Cho 2004 Cooper S. Mods to car 15% pulley and CAI, cost of mods $600. Dyno tune result 179whp, 157lbft torque. Total cost of mods $900.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:22 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by luckydoggarage
Dyno tune result 179whp, 157lbft torque. Total cost of mods $900.
Whoa, Maxi wrote:
BTW, so far I've put ~$2,300 for engine mod parts/labors for 173 whp

This car $900 for more HP.

Ouch!

Old 03-08-2007, 06:48 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by luckydoggarage
Here's another example of spending a lot of money and receiving very little return. I'll post the dyno sheets as soon as I can load them. Mr. Cho 2004 Cooper S. Mods to car 15% pulley and CAI, cost of mods $600. Dyno tune result 179whp, 157lbft torque. Total cost of mods $900.
I think, everyone's got their own reason to select the way they do things.
What about the people who spent more than $4k to have the JCW retrofitted kit and get 180 whp. Sure, they've spent 6 times more that what Mr. Cho spent. But I bet some people are happy and proud of what they have. It all depends on personal preference.

Why do people buy the M5, when they can spend less to make a 540 more powerful by mod it.

Sometimes, money is not the issue. It's what make one happy, that's what counts.

To be honest, I don't really care how much one spends to get xxx hp. My goal is not to compare my car to any other car. I have my own goal, I have my own way to achieve it and I'm having fun with it.

For some it may be stupid, but it's my joy...I'm proud of my car and it's my money anyway.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:33 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
I think, everyone's got their own reason to select the way they do things.
What about the people who spent more than $4k to have the JCW retrofitted kit and get 180 whp. Sure, they've spent 6 times more that what Mr. Cho spent. But I bet some people are happy and proud of what they have. It all depends on personal preference.

Why do people buy the M5, when they can spend less to make a 540 more powerful by mod it.

Sometimes, money is not the issue. It's what make one happy, that's what counts.

To be honest, I don't really care how much one spends to get xxx hp. My goal is not to compare my car to any other car. I have my own goal, I have my own way to achieve it and I'm having fun with it.

For some it may be stupid, but it's my joy...I'm proud of my car and it's my money anyway.
The answer to all that is simple and been rehased 5,000,000 times ... warranty. Spend $4200 on the JCW kit ... your covered. Anything breaks .... your covered.

You buy mix and match parts, get your flash (and this is NOT dissing LDG) in one location ... what happens when you need another and your 1,000 miles away? How many people have had heartache over MTH?

JCW ... simple. Any MINI dealer and your cool. That is the price you pay for peace of mind

As to a M5 vice M series and maybe Dinan? M5 anyday of the week simply because of peace of mind.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:11 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
The answer to all that is simple and been rehased 5,000,000 times ... warranty. Spend $4200 on the JCW kit ... your covered. Anything breaks .... your covered.
That's only true if you have them installed by an authorized party. Just because it says JCW on it doesn't mean you automagically get coverage. If it's installed wrong by a 3rd party and ends up grenading your engine there's no way the MINI warranty is going to cover that.

I also have some pretty big doubts about the GP intercooler being a difference of 15hp versus the stock IC. The 2 extra fins in the intercooler aren't going to do that much. Besides, I could put together a test between the IC I have now and the stock one I have in a box somewhere and show that the stock could produce more HP. Of course it would be a completely fabricated test. Until people start calling vendors/manufactures out for some pretty outrageous claims things are going to get a whole lot worse.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Just a little fun before getting JCW kit. Err... my way