Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Just a little fun before getting JCW kit. Err... my way

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Scavenger
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maxicooper
I think the IC is one of my best upgrade.

I would love you to try my Mini next time we met. Next Mini & Coffee, maybe.
Sure, hopefully you'll be able to make the next few runs, and I hope to as well.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:55 PM
ciscovip
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maxi, did they have to make any mods to fit it under the hood?

Old 05-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ciscovip
maxi, did they have to make any mods to fit it under the hood?
Simple bolt on.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Still confused and can not make decision on the next project.

Last edited by Maxicooper; 07-11-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:31 PM
ciscovip
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ciscovip
maxi NO jcw aero kit now. Go for the header. I think it will give you the most bang for the buck. The head should be next. Then new software GP or GIAC. last should be aero kit
I still suggest that this is still way to go. The header will compliment the intake work that you have done so far. For the ultimate power you will need to do a worked cylinder head. At that point you may need to reflash the ecu. But remember your goal of a GP power. Therfore if when you get the head you should first try for the GP software. That will get you to your original goal.

At that point you will have two choices to make if you want more power. The first is to get a different ECU software and a different cam.

The car looks hot.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Plan's changed !!!

During today run, I came up with a tempting idea......

To GIAC or to go for GP flash.......
To go for a header or to go for a cylinder head......
To go for a JCW brake kit or to go for JCW aero kit......

Hmm..... a lot of things to think about.
The original plan has been modified.

While I'm still waiting for an access to get the GP software, the Schrick camshaft will be on tomorrow.

That should help the top end a little bit, more fun above 5.5k.

Will keep you update of an improvement.

Last edited by Maxicooper; 07-11-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
A quick snap, taken at the mall couple of days ago. Before it's going to transform.

Last edited by Maxicooper; 07-11-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:02 PM
FeedBack
5th Gear
A quick snap, taken at the mall couple of days ago. Before it's going to transform.

OOOHHHHHH! I like the Purple one!!!!

Old 07-12-2007, 03:06 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Here you go......, the Purple one..

Old 07-12-2007, 11:17 AM
ignote
5th Gear
The original plan has been modified.

While I'm still waiting for an access to get the GP software, the Schrick camshaft will be on tomorrow.

That should help the top end a little bit, more fun above 5.5k.

Will keep you update of an improvement.
Where are you having the work done?

Old 07-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ignote
Where are you having the work done?
The Schrick camshaft's been installed.

I have it done at Helix13. Eric is the man for the job.

Its a fun trip to Helix today. Also had a chance to talk with Eric, got lots of info and tons of knowledge. We had such a great time. Thank you so much for everything.

I didn't push my car that much on the way back to Md, just try to keep it under 5k rpm. (actually, did go beyond that once when I gave a Lincoln LS V8 a surprise ).

Also, I did not feel any loss at the low end, no rough idle, no CEL.

Feel some slightly improvement right before 4k, also can feel some improvement at the top end above 6k (normally it was flat out after ~6k, now still got some juice left).

That was the experience from the first hundred miles or so after installed. I will go easy on the engine for some 2-3 hundred miles before I will do the real test, may be will do some baseline dyno runs (to see how the torque curve looks like and where is it).

Again, I will keep update.

Last edited by Maxicooper; 07-12-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:18 AM
luckydoggarage
3rd Gear
I've been watching this thread for a while and I know that everyone is entitled to their own motoring lifestyle but this is not the way to go about modding this car. I'm only mentioning this to help those on this forum that are not knowledgeable like Maxicooper about this process and who rely on this info to make decisions about what mods to do. Most of the vendors/parts sellers out there will gladly take your money while they install parts that will provide little or no benefit all the while saying that I'm a jerk and a basher and all that bs. The truth is that I'm the only one who is getting results. There are a lot of people who have heard my message and paid attention and they are enjoying the results as well as the money saved from not buying the useless parts that eventually get removed. Please educate yourselves and read as much about this subject as you can. Some of the places to find this info are SEMA and PRI. The Specialty Equipment and Manufactures Association has programs geared towards education about the performance industry. The here and now as well as the future of this hobby is centered around ecu tuning and supporting products and information systems. Todays complex cars require a sound and well executed plan in order to achieve success. This includes carefully selected parts and well thought out recalibrations to take advantage of the performance enhancing properties of the parts.

This is an example of a well engineered and well executed plan. There are many of these cars running around and several on this forum. If the person or facility you are looking at for mods can't match these results and provide this kind of information then you're at the wrong place.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:34 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by luckydoggarage
I've been watching this thread for a while and I know that everyone is entitled to their own motoring lifestyle but this is not the way to go about modding this car. I'm only mentioning this to help those on this forum that are not knowledgeable like Maxicooper about this process and who rely on this info to make decisions about what mods to do. Most of the vendors/parts sellers out there will gladly take your money while they install parts that will provide little or no benefit all the while saying that I'm a jerk and a basher and all that bs. The truth is that I'm the only one who is getting results. There are a lot of people who have heard my message and paid attention and they are enjoying the results as well as the money saved from not buying the useless parts that eventually get removed. Please educate yourselves and read as much about this subject as you can. Some of the places to find this info are SEMA and PRI. The Specialty Equipment and Manufactures Association has programs geared towards education about the performance industry. The here and now as well as the future of this hobby is centered around ecu tuning and supporting products and information systems. Todays complex cars require a sound and well executed plan in order to achieve success. This includes carefully selected parts and well thought out recalibrations to take advantage of the performance enhancing properties of the parts.

This is an example of a well engineered and well executed plan. There are many of these cars running around and several on this forum. If the person or facility you are looking at for mods can't match these results and provide this kind of information then you're at the wrong place.
Please let me know which part that I have in my Mini that doesn't have any benefit.

I have intake, exhaust, 15% pulley, injectors, intercooler and now a higher profile camshaft. Is it different than the way you set up your customer car?

So, is it that I don't have you do the tuning and you call me not knowledgeable?

I have basically the same set up as most of the car that you've tuned, 15%, intake and exhaust.

And how do you know that I do not study and do any research, John, you're not the only one that can do the tuning. There are people who are capable to do like you do or even better and don't have to go out bashing anyone on the web or anywhere, and I did discuss with some of them about the options that available for my car's config. And to be honest, they gave me tons of valuable information.

What's wrong with that, is it wrong because I didn't ask you?

And, what do you use to judge the way to go about modding the car, follow your rule? Sorry, people's got their own way to do things.

Again, is it wrong to start mod the car with hardwares, study the change and then finalize by tuning at the end to make it works properly.

Oh, one more thing, for all the parts that I have chosen for my Mini, its my own choice my own decision. I did my homework did lots of researches and select the parts myself. Please do not blame on other vendors if you don't know the story.

Thanks for the post, John.

Last edited by Maxicooper; 07-13-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Moved go to #142.

Last edited by Maxicooper; 07-16-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:44 AM
FeedBack
5th Gear
I've been watching this thread for a while and I know that everyone is entitled to their own motoring lifestyle but this is not the way to go about modding this car.
...and its a pretty strange move to come into a thread where someone is telling us how he is enjoying that lifestyle and then hijacking it to tell us we all are dumb, wasting money and should come running to your shop so you can save us!

I'm only mentioning this to help those on this forum that are not knowledgeable like Maxicooper about this process and who rely on this info to make decisions about what mods to do.
I'm not sure if you are insulting Maxicooper or complementing him?!?

Most of the vendors/parts sellers out there will gladly take your money while they install parts that will provide little or no benefit all the while saying that I'm a jerk and a basher and all that bs.

I try not to do business with anyone who bashes their competition as a way to impress me with how good they are....

The truth is that I'm the only one who is getting results.
Whoa! Modest, Huh? Lets see your results put on several different brands of dyno's and on the track, head to head against other tuners in a shootout of sorts.

There are a lot of people who have heard my message and paid attention and they are enjoying the results as well as the money saved from not buying the useless parts that eventually get removed.
Very Cool! But don't advertise by telling us we're stupid. Kind advice, when it's sought, generally is better received than criticism delivered after hitting one in the face with a bat to get their attention.

Please educate yourselves and read as much about this subject as you can. Some of the places to find this info are SEMA and PRI. The Specialty Equipment and Manufactures Association has programs geared towards education about the performance industry.
Excellent tip, thanks

The here and now as well as the future of this hobby is centered around ecu tuning and supporting products and information systems.
Cool! Tell us how you can help us instead of how we've "wasted our money"!

Todays complex cars require a sound and well executed plan in order to achieve success. This includes carefully selected parts and well thought out recalibrations to take advantage of the performance enhancing properties of the parts.

This is good advice

I'm not sure what this plan is or was? If you want to educate us, the get some info we can use.... What mods? what car? What environmental conditions? This table is not a plan, its the results of implementing some plan... I think?

===========
I genuinely think that you folks at LDG are doing something right, or the people who are paying your steep (and steadily rising) price would be howling and letting us know. Its great to have someone tearing into the software and trying (with success) new things. Personally, I think your comment of "
The truth is that I'm the only one who is getting results." may be more your opinion than fact.

However, its not fun to have an arrogant vendor trash our excitement over what decisions we choose to make on our cars! If we come in to your shop, or call you, or post in YOUR AREA ON NAM, then great- have at the competetion, the stupid mods, etc. But I don't think its right to come into the DCMM area and hijack a thread about the FUN someone is having and launch this comment.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:29 AM
ignote
5th Gear
I

What are the mods? How much did this cost? Where is the baseline dyno?

Old 07-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
parts that will provide little or no benefit. the useless parts that eventually get removed.
By the way, here is the list of the parts that I currently have on my Mini. Please let me and others know which one of the listed parts is useless and why.

JCW intake
JCW exhaust
15% pulley
IK22 spark plugs
JCW injectors
GP intercooler
Schrick camshaft

The MINI is running with JCW software...for now, and it costs $55.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:56 AM
luckydoggarage
3rd Gear
This is the response that I expected. I didn't say anything negative other than this is not a good plan. There are no other "tuners" that get the kind of results that I am getting. I have said on many occasions what mods are done and what it costs and how this should be handled in a professional manner. I'm one of the few who backs up claims with dyno results as standard operating procedure not just empty hype. I have had many more positive responses on these issues and will continue to post comments irregardless of the ridicule.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
This is the response that I expected. I didn't say anything negative other than this is not a good plan. There are no other "tuners" that get the kind of results that I am getting. I have said on many occasions what mods are done and what it costs and how this should be handled in a professional manner. I'm one of the few who backs up claims with dyno results as standard operating procedure not just empty hype. I have had many more positive responses on these issues and will continue to post comments irregardless of the ridicule.
What is considered a good plan for you. Let us know.
Pay you, let you install pulley and tune?

Sorry, I have many other way to have fun. Please read from the first page and you will see how much fun I have had on my project.
Its all about fun, John. It's my fun.

Still I don't see your response regarding to the parts that I have. You always mention about parts that don't work or useless. Explain it... btw, on your own forum.

Oh, one thing, I have to admit this is a hxxx of a good marketing strategy of yours. But if you don't mind, stay away.....promote your products somewhere else, you're ruining my enjoyment.

Last edited by Maxicooper; 07-13-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:46 PM
ignote
5th Gear
I'm one of the few who backs up claims with dyno results as standard operating procedure not just empty hype.
Fantastic. Could you PLEASE post dynos of a car 1. Before it receives your ECU flash. 2. After the base ECU flash. 3. After the custom dyno tune.

Also you could please post your FIRM prices for those services. Please post these things. At least in your own Forum.

Last edited by ignote; 07-13-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Fantastic. Could you PLEASE post dynos of a car 1. Before it receives your ECU flash. 2. After the base ECU flash. 3. After the custom dyno tune.

Also you could please post your FIRM prices for those services. Please post these things. At least in your own Forum.
Thank you.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:48 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, all I can say is ... WOW

Maxi, I cannot ever speak for any vendor but I think I do understand what John is saying. I might be wrong and others may know far more than me but I do understand cars and just offer this as food for thought, nothing more.

If my interpretation is wrong, then its wrong and someone can correct it, but I "think" he's saying ... this is just trying to help you understand, nothing more ...

First, what are your goals? What do you hope to achieve? Your first post said:

Just a little fun before getting the JCW kit

That is a solution, not a goal. What do you hope to achieve? Higher Top speed, greater torque? Better corning ability? Better MPG? At what cost to reliability? At least in this thread, there does not seem to be any "goal". For example, when I bought my car I "wanted" the JCW kit because I had a goal. I DID want more HP but I did NOT want reliability issues. A factory backed warranty matters. If it add a bit more HP, great. I also knew if I wanted to do serious changes, some more boltons would do little, it would be time to get a head.

Once you have a goal, what is your plan to achieve it? It read originally like you wanted the JCW Kit. Then it morphed into something else with a bunch of parts thrown together to what end? If you haven't a goal, what are all the parts doing? You can't really have a plan without a goal. It come across like your bolting parts on here and there but to what end?

Traditionally, if you want serious power, bolt-ons do very little. If you want power you balance and blueprint the engine of which a ported and polished head is a part. Now granted since its a supercharged car, the pulley gives a quick gain but the real power comes from the internals. Throwing on a catback alone, most likely, gives very little gain and JCW is expensive. An IC? It's not going to gain power, only get you power back you may loose for being to hot? So what is the point of that? Are you racing every weekend? How does it fit into the overall plan? The CAM? w/out a head and ECU change, what gain does it give? Moving the torque curve?

I "think" what LDG is saying is you need to have a goal you want to achieve, then a plan to achieve your goal.

To often people just throw bolton parts to cars and then wonder why they dont magically see large power gains (boltons are not additivive in power ... you can't just say the JCW CAI adds 5 bhp and the JCW exhaust 7 bhp so I get 12 bhp).

I might be wrong. LDG might be saying something totally different, I'm just trying to interpret to myself too what he's saying but I bet very simply its

In this thread, a bunch of bolt-ons have been added in some kind of manner. Rather, what should be done is ...

Set your goal
Formulate your plan
Execute your plan

I may be wrong and this is not meant to say what you did was wrong because its was right for you. If your happy, cool

Best of luck

Last edited by chows4us; 07-13-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:36 PM
luckydoggarage
3rd Gear
You're exactly right. It doesn't matter what Maxicooper or anyone else does. What matters is that because he did it a certain way and posted about his experience here someone else will see this and think that it is the right thing to do just because it gave him pleasure. That's the point.
There are dyno posts all over this forum of before and afters that I've done. W3IWI just posted one of a stock cooper s And his 15% w/LDG tune.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:33 PM
ignote
5th Gear
There are dyno posts all over this forum of before and afters that I've done. W3IWI just posted one of a stock cooper s And his 15% w/LDG tune.
No. Sorry there are not.
A stock cooper s dyno is not a proper comparison. You of all people know that. All these "after" dynos are meaningless without a "before" from the same vehicle. I can't spell it out any plainer than that.

1. Before it receives your ECU flash. 2. After the base ECU flash. 3. After the custom dyno tune.

There is no other way to be able to tell what one can expect to get, when they get your tune.

Last edited by ignote; 07-13-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
1. Before it receives your ECU flash. 2. After the base ECU flash. 3. After the custom dyno tune.

There is no other way to be able to tell what one can expect to get, when they get your tune.
The thing is, what someone "expects to get" will vary depending on mods installed. Even then, seemingly identical MINIs will still have slightly different results - this isn't an exact science.

However, I can see your point. Comparing dyno numbers where the only thing that has changed is the ECU flash and/or tuning would be the most valid and valuable.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Just a little fun before getting JCW kit. Err... my way