Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ALTA intake evaluation

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 10:01 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally! We have done all of the evaluation on this new intake system. As always, there are pros and cons.

First, I had none of the issues Andy had, so I'm not sure what the deal was with his silicone hose and heat shield. I saw the pics of them, so I know it really happened, but the intake I have here fit fine.

The pros:

I like the replacement of the intake tube with a larger diameter tube.

I like the foam element.

I like the heat shield design - it replaces the entire rear partition, and allows the filter to move into the "dead space" area for cooler air. This is basically an expansion of the original MINI-Motorsport airbox idea.

I like the sound of the unit - it is not too loud at all, and it isn't "noise", it's supercharger whine. It isn't intrusive at all in my opinion, but it is definitely louder than stock. The sound is different still from the Rogue/Madness and the BMP (both of which have their own unique sound). For those of you who have done the MINI-Motorsport airbox mod, it is a very similar volume.

I like the power increase - consistent 7-9 hp gains. This is similar to the Madness with the MINI-Motorsport mod. I think the cotton element of the Madness flows more air, and the Alta intake tube flows more, so that's why the similar numbers (a total hypothesis).

The cons:

The installation (which, granted, is a one time affair) is much more involved than the other intakes out there. Instead of being a 5 minute install, it takes 30-45 minutes. The steps of the installation must be followed exactly, and the throttle body is smaller OD than the tube ID, so you must clamp down pretty tight to keep the hose from coming off during the later steps of the install. That is a key point that would make the next install much simpler.

The factory seal that comes across the original partition must be trimmed because of the removal of the partition. I will be getting a replacement cost on Monday.

This one is subjective, but the unit says ALTA MINI performance not once, not twice, but three times. There is a logo on the silicone tube, a logo on the heat shield, and a logo on the filter itself. All but one can be removed though, so it isn't a deal breaker (and I know some folks like the branding, so it is very subjective).

Pics

Here is what the kit looks like:

The heat shield:

The intake tube:

The filter element:

Installed:

Here are the pics of the tube on the throttle body wihtout any trimming:

The heat shield didn't require any trimming either:

I will be carrying this product at $259.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Randy
720-841-1002

Old 04-27-2003, 10:55 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, so far I have heard of 3 other ALTA installs besides mine, and none have had the issues I had. Weird! I followed ALTA's instructions exactly and had to mod the shield and silicone hose to get them to fit my 10/02-build 2003 MCS. Ah well, everything fits great now.

Old 04-27-2003, 07:41 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Andy,

I thought that was weird too. My car is a July/02 build 2002, and the other ALTA intake car was a new 2003. I have to say though, I've seen quite a variance from car to car on many different fronts, so maybe it shouldn't surprise me.

From the look of your weld on the unibody, the heat shield not fitting was probably a fluke, but the hose was what I thought was weird.

Randy

Old 04-28-2003, 04:08 PM
MiniRyno
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Randy,

Can this Alta silicone hose be used with any of the other intakes on the market(i.e.Madness/Rogue) to replace the stock tubing?

- If so, Is the Alta silicone hose sold seperately?
- Any others like it on the market?

p.s. From the pictures, the Alta filter element looked less than pro. any comments? :smile:

Old 04-28-2003, 04:19 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I also had the same idea. Buy the Alta silicone hose and heat sheild and a madness air filter and hook it all up together. but first painting the heat sheild body color to make it a bit custom and cut down on the sticker look that alta forces us to have. i bet the one on the hose will rub off with a bit of paint thiner or reducer, most do. but only if it comes in black, who wants blue hoses? i would buy a honda for that. how about some comments on the filter?

Old 04-28-2003, 11:27 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
The intake hose is a lrger diameter than the filter mount on the Rogue/Madness, so it won't really work. The Rogue/Madness filter wouldn't fit on the ALTA heat shield for the same reason - it is smaller than the mount on the ALTA.

The ALTA will be available in Blue, Black, and Red. It is available now, I just haven't updated the site yet. The cost is $259.

As far as filters go, there are pros and cons to both. I really like the Rogue/Madness element. Check out this website for more info on foam - but also realize it is done by the company that makes foam filters. It still makes some valid points though. I actually think that for a foam element, the Alta is a nice one - much better than the Pipercross for instance.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Randy

Old 04-29-2003, 08:04 AM
Ethos
2nd Gear
Could someone measure the inner diameter of the intake hose on the Alta and share that with us. I'm also interested in a "mix and match" system. Many thanks.

Old 04-29-2003, 10:21 AM
ceberlik
1st Gear
Randy,
You say there are some differences in intake hose inlet sizes between the intake manufacturers. I want to use the stock intake hose with the Alta kit's heat shield for my own silly reasons. When I called Alta, they said it would work fine, but your post has me concerned :???: . I have ordered my intake 2 weeks ago and am still waiting for them to ship it. If it won't fit, I will cancel my order.

Old 04-29-2003, 01:37 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
The stock intake tube is 60mm ID, while the ALTA hose is 68mm ID. The stock hose can be used however on the ALTA heat shield - I was wrong there. The reason is because the stock hose has a lip that is 65mm at each end where it mates to the airbox and TB, and because it is rubber, it expands enough to fit onto the heat shield (I tried it just now).

Hope that helps!

Randy