Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 62 kit on its way to M7 ... Yes it is happening

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:11 PM
motorsports3
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxmini
Now you are confusing me LOL . Why would you think there was more than one piston from my statment and why would a mechanical falure cause melting ?

Randy

M7 Tuning
As stated earlier in the thread with regards to the motor being lost... Lets just call it a hunch that more than one piston was lost...

Old 02-15-2007, 07:12 PM
astrochex
6th Gear
Originally Posted by motorsports3
post deleted

Old 02-15-2007, 07:33 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by motorsports3
As stated earlier in the thread with regards to the motor being lost... Lets just call it a hunch that more than one piston was lost...

If you are alluding to the fact that 4 pistons were replaced that is correct. The owner opted for a upgraded pistons and replaced them all rather than just the broken one. Call him crazy but that is the way he rolls

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-15-2007, 07:38 PM
newbs49
Banned
Sounds like a smart man to me.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:46 PM
motorsports3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
If you are alluding to the fact that 4 pistons were replaced that is correct. The owner opted for a upgraded pistons and replaced them all rather than just the broken one. Call him crazy but that is the way he rolls

Randy
M7 Tuning
Just so there is no more confusion... You are saying that only 1 piston was lost and the other 3 are fine... Not the other way around?

I am stoked he put real pistons in it! Lets see some power!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:47 PM
newbs49
Banned
Cosworth???

Old 02-15-2007, 08:04 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by newbs49
Cosworth???
Unfortunatly not yet. The next product we will be releasing in the near future from Cosworth is a cam . Pistons are next on the list as far as I know .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-15-2007, 08:10 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
[quote=motorsports3;1374779]Just so there is no more confusion... You are saying that only 1 piston was lost and the other 3 are fine... Not the other way around?

Yes

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
wow... interesting stuff... I am glad M3 is being specific... as I was just going to respond with similar questions..... I am suprised NAM is not asking more... thinking of how overly technical it can get here with DYNOs and WHP.. LOL

So randy... Did you see the motor?

did the pistons melt?

when did this all happen...

I just talk to Peter... and he said nothing... I figured he woulda... but who knows... LOL... I too have seen alot of damage from crank pullies.. crazyness.. but I would think the oil pump going out woulda really been a big deal

Last edited by Tüls; 02-15-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:20 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tüls
I am glad M3 is being specific...
He is not being specific, but out on a fishing expedition, insinuating things like melted pistons etc.

The gear rotor in the oil pump broke in seven pieces, one of the lose fragments got scoped up by the crank hit the bottom of the #2 piston, broke the skirt.....That's it. nothing else was destroyed from the frag. nothing melted or otherwise got destroyed. (this happened as the car idled at 800rpm).

We decided to replace the pistons with some high performance units for added protection and performance.

The car will be back to testing early next week, and when I /we are ready
to give final numbers you the NAM members will be the first to know.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123

Old 02-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Skiploder
Banned
I apologize in advance if I missed it on the preceding page, but how did the oil pump gear let go?

- Did one of the gear teeth snap with no signs of wear? In other words was it a spontaneous failure?

- Or Was there already excessive wear on the gear teeth and then one went?

Is there a reason you think that it was related to the crank pulley as opposed to running the engine at elevated RPM? I've seen gear failures due to running beyond the abilities of the pump (friction) and also due to harmonics - I'm wondering what about the broken part tipped the owner off?

Old 02-15-2007, 09:31 PM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
Originally Posted by M7
He is not being specific, but out on a fishing expedition, insinuating things like melted pistons etc.

The gear rotor in the oil pump broke in seven pieces, one of the lose fragments got scoped up by the crank hit the bottom of the #2 piston, broke the skirt.....That's it. nothing else was destroyed from the frag. nothing melted or otherwise got destroyed. (this happened as the car idled at 800rpm).

We decided to replace the pistons with some high performance units for added protection and performance.

The car will be back to testing early next week, and when I /we are ready
to give final numbers you the NAM members will be the first to know.

Peter
M7 Tuning
562-608-8123
Oh boy...

If I decide to go with the M62, should I replace the pistons?

Seriously, let us know how the whole thing goes!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:42 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SayGoodbye
Oh boy...

If I decide to go with the M62, should I replace the pistons?

Seriously, let us know how the whole thing goes!
Not at all . This is the only m62 car which had a piston break due to contact with a broken piece of the oil pump gear. The rest of the m62 fleet are on stock pistons as far as I know .

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-15-2007, 09:54 PM
whskysouth
3rd Gear
Just for the record I am on Stock pistons......Oh and I have the M62...

M7 thanks for the posts....

Old 02-16-2007, 12:34 AM
isellem
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any pics of the ringlands on the piston with damaged piston skirt?

If you didn't have a melt down, or a ringland failure due to detonation... it shouldn't be too hard to get a pic of this...

ALso, did you guys loose oil presure on the motor? If so... you might want to check the bore on all of those cylinders...

Old 02-16-2007, 12:59 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by M7
huh... uhh well I was thinking that too... cuase if the oil pump failed ...I would think from heat and friction due to lack of oil... that the pistons would either sieze or melt... so.. I dont think he was fishing or insinuating... M3 and Isellem have built some pretty sick cars... including the fastest SC MINI

I know people talk alot of crap Peter... heck I have been on the recieving end of enough of it being a twincharge guy.. and especially having worked with Fireballed.. yet I remain open to tell people whatever they want to know... if I know the answer that is... LOL.... I really don't think everyone is out to get you... that's kinda the reason I posted.... cause I was wondering the same thing... and people ofcourse think if it's one guy it's an attack.. I am sure others wanna know, and prolly just don't post cause as you an I talked about...everything on NAM always has to be a fire storm...

Old 02-16-2007, 01:02 AM
motorsports3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by M7
I'm not even much of an outdoorsman....

Old 02-16-2007, 02:55 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
huh... uhh well I was thinking that too... cuase if the oil pump failed ...I would think from heat and friction due to lack of oil... that the pistons would either sieze or melt... so.. I dont think he was fishing or insinuating... M3 and Isellem have built some pretty sick cars... including the fastest SC MINI
As I understand it, the car was idling and was shut down as soon as the owner heard a strange sound. Apparently, it didn't have time to melt the pistons or do much/any scoring of the cylinder walls. Correct me if I'm wrong Randy/Peter.

As for questions relating to the failure, I'm sure we'd all agree those are to be expected. I do think the snide comments & innuendo are uncalled for though. As you mentioned, you've been a victim of the same treatment and can surely sympathize better than most.

Frankly, I'm surprised that M7 is willing to get on here and post about it at all, considering the unforgiving environment on here at times. Kudos, even if it did seem tardy to some.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:08 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
ha ha yea.... and it's just such a tribute once again to how stout these little motors are... and the abuse they can take...

Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
As I understand it, the car was idling and was shut down as soon as the owner heard a strange sound. Apparently, it didn't have time to melt the pistons or do much/any scoring of the cylinder walls. Correct me if I'm wrong Randy/Peter.

As for questions relating to the failure, I'm sure we'd all agree those are to be expected. I do think the snide comments & innuendo are uncalled for though. As you mentioned, you've been a victim of the same treatment and can surely sympathize better than most.

Frankly, I'm surprised that M7 is willing to get on here and post about it at all, considering the unforgiving environment on here at times. Kudos, even if it did seem tardy to some.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:11 AM
pmello
3rd Gear
Pic's (if you have them) PLEASE!!! There is a thread for blow / broken motors you can post in. 8200 redline!!! Please, no more apologies or apologists. Lets get back to the mp62 and possibly, some tuning info related to IT. Off to MOP to see the new r56 today and get my 30,000 mi "free oil change" !!! Should be fun.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:29 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
I am curious Randy, I have the 62 and a lightened crank pulley.... stock pistons and the stock reve limiter.....what is your opinion, should i go back to the stock crank pulley? and if so does any one have one they would like to part with 05/06

Old 02-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpiderX
I am curious Randy, I have the 62 and a lightened crank pulley.... stock pistons and the stock reve limiter.....what is your opinion, should i go back to the stock crank pulley? and if so does any one have one they would like to part with 05/06
The rev limiter on that car Bob is over 8 grand, and without having the entire reciprocating assembly balanced for what was being used (EDIT:and that rpm), eventually something is going to give. If you keep your revs more down to earth, you should be fine.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:08 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN
The rev limiter on that car Bob is over 8 grand, and without having the entire reciprocating assembly balanced for what was being used, eventually something is going to give. If you keep your revs more down to earth, you should be fine.
Thanks..... like I said it is the stock rev limiter...... I was talking to dave yesterday and he said for a strreet car that is all necessary and with my driving style (so far anyway) I have to agree..... I would like an 05/05 crank pulley though just to be safe

Old 02-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX
My two cents -

1) Stock crank pulleys were built in such a fashion for a reason.
2) It will take a long time/many many miles to know any cause/effects of a lightened crank pulley.

I think its a question of - How long do you intend to keep the car?

Old 02-16-2007, 06:59 AM
ted leist
3rd Gear
What damage have you seen from lightweight crank pulleys?

wow... interesting stuff... I am glad M3 is being specific... as I was just going to respond with similar questions..... I am suprised NAM is not asking more... thinking of how overly technical it can get here with DYNOs and WHP.. LOL

So randy... Did you see the motor?

did the pistons melt?

when did this all happen...

I just talk to Peter... and he said nothing... I figured he woulda... but who knows... LOL... I too have seen alot of damage from crank pullies.. crazyness.. but I would think the oil pump going out woulda really been a big deal

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 62 kit on its way to M7 ... Yes it is happening