Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 62 kit on its way to M7 ... Yes it is happening

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 07:11 AM
motorsports3
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
As for questions relating to the failure, I'm sure we'd all agree those are to be expected. I do think the snide comments & innuendo are uncalled for though.
Call them inuendo's, fishing, or whatever you want.... But without people making statements like this would M7 have ever come on here and say they lost the motor to begin with? I certainly don't think so.

It was a hunch that turned out to be a lost motor and now its a hunch that said there was a little more going on than one piston failing at idle. Take a step back and look at the big picture. Think everyone always says everything they know?

Old 02-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Most companies do not share their R&D.

The M62 requires R&D. How often does the first version of anything end up being the production model? I guess the board has to decide how it wants to play the game - would it perfer that a NAM vendor simply come to the sight and announce a new product or does the community want to take the R&D journey w/ the vendor?

Edit Addition - I personally like the R&D journy, yes at times when the threads don't keep moving I get a little fustrated. I joined NAM to get involved and come here to read about what people are doing whether its a guy tinkering in his garage or a hear about what a vendor is up too.

It's only natural that a developer/vendor only gets excited to post about progress.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:45 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bahamabart

The M62 requires R&D. How often does the first version of anything end up being the production model? I guess the board has to decide how it wants to play the game - would it perfer that a NAM vendor simply come to the sight and announce a new product or does the community want to take the R&D journey w/ the vendor?
quoted for truth... thread heading a productive direction now

Old 02-16-2007, 08:12 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Ah-oh. I am starting to feel the love...

Old 02-16-2007, 08:22 AM
isellem
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bahamabart

Edit Addition - I personally like the R&D journy, yes at times when the threads don't keep moving I get a little fustrated. I joined NAM to get involved and come here to read about what people are doing whether its a guy tinkering in his garage or a hear about what a vendor is up too.

It's only natural that a developer/vendor only gets excited to post about progress.
This has already been spoken about on this thread.

Its all about managing expectations. Under promising... over delivering.

And as far as sharing R&D, remember, it isn't like anyone is asking exactly what injectors they are using or how did you bolt the M62 on the car. What kind of adapter was utilized. How about the water pump, what kind is it? etc...

No one is asking them to reveal the fruits of there labor... no one is asking exactly how they made the kit "work"

Old 02-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by goaljnky
Ah-oh. I am starting to feel the love...

I'm here for you......

Let's go watch Steel Magnolias and have a good cry together...

Old 02-16-2007, 08:38 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Skiploder
I'm here for you......

I'll bring popcorn and candy!!!

Old 02-16-2007, 08:42 AM
goaljnky
Banned
I'm here for you......

I don't know man. Xanadu might be more appropriate.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by prime-drk-
I'll bring popcorn and candy!!!
Reduced-fat butter-flavored popcorn only please - Goaljnky's getting a little "cheeky" if you know what I mean.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Skiploder
Banned
I don't know man. Xanadu might be more appropriate.
How about "My Beautiful Laundrette"?

Old 02-16-2007, 08:46 AM
goaljnky
Banned
How about "My Beautiful Laundrette"?
Is it any good?

Old 02-16-2007, 08:54 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by isellem
This has already been spoken about on this thread.

Its all about managing expectations. Under promising... over delivering.

And as far as sharing R&D, remember, it isn't like anyone is asking exactly what injectors they are using or how did you bolt the M62 on the car. What kind of adapter was utilized. How about the water pump, what kind is it? etc...

No one is asking them to reveal the fruits of there labor... no one is asking exactly how they made the kit "work"
I talked with Peter through this and his intentions were to post the numbers asap... needless to say it was a huge surprise when this happened and it takes to assess failures. (cut some slack)

Old 02-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Is it any good?
I give it two thumbs up!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:16 AM
goaljnky
Banned
You are scaring me, man. Hold me?

Old 02-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This has got to stop...

if you thought I got bent before, if this love fest doesn't die down I'm gonna be reall pissed! I'm about to hurl on my keyboard adn that will be expensive! I think the lovefests belong in "off topic"

Matt

Old 02-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
if you thought I got bent before, if this love fest doesn't die down I'm gonna be reall pissed! I'm about to hurl on my keyboard adn that will be expensive! I think the lovefests belong in "off topic"

Matt
We like you when you're angry.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by motorsports3
Call them inuendo's, fishing, or whatever you want.... But without people making statements like this would M7 have ever come on here and say they lost the motor to begin with? I certainly don't think so. It was a hunch that turned out to be a lost motor and now its a hunch that said there was a little more going on than one piston failing at idle. Take a step back and look at the big picture. Think everyone always says everything they know?
IMO, I think you give yourself and others far too much credit. Frankly, I question the motives for your criticisms & continued innuendo.

Of course everyone doesn't share all they know. That doesn't make them liars.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:24 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Don't be that way, Matt. You can watch the movie with us. You can even sit between us on the couch and hold the popcorn.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:30 AM
trackster
5th Gear
Originally Posted by motorsports3
Call them inuendo's, fishing, or whatever you want.... But without people making statements like this would M7 have ever come on here and say they lost the motor to begin with? I certainly don't think so.

It was a hunch that turned out to be a lost motor and now its a hunch that said there was a little more going on than one piston failing at idle. Take a step back and look at the big picture. Think everyone always says everything they know?
In looking back at your posts you certainly have a agenda or english is your second or third language. You were told at least twice that one piston failed and there was no melting. The company in question told us what happened once they were sure about the situation. Guessing that they never would have said anything if it wasn't for the " statements " on here is just that a guess. You have seen there answer, reasking the same question won't make the answer change.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:42 AM
isellem
5th Gear
ohh but indeed it has...

read back on this post... look how many times i was flamed because i had a hunch that the motor failed... and now... it is true... the motor did fail. there was a bunch of nonsense between my first post about my hunch and M7 saying that they lost the motor.

Also, call it another hunch... but had i not said all M7 needs to do is post whether or not the motor failed they likely wouldn't have posted it.

The second hunch is in the piston rings... this hunch includes that the motor detonated as well as lost the pump... i am betting the IATs were ridiculous...

Old 02-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Paul Webster
Banned
1997 Dodge Viper replaced with something that speaks Italian
Dont say it so, you've gone from a torque monster to a revvy overated thing

Old 02-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Skiploder
Banned
ohh but indeed it has...

read back on this post... look how many times i was flamed because i had a hunch that the motor failed... and now... it is true... the motor did fail. there was a bunch of nonsense between my first post about my hunch and M7 saying that they lost the motor.

Also, call it another hunch... but had i not said all M7 needs to do is post whether or not the motor failed they likely wouldn't have posted it.

The second hunch is in the piston rings... this hunch includes that the motor detonated as well as lost the pump... i am betting the IATs were ridiculous...
My happy feeling is now gone - we're cancelling movie night.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You were flamed for guessing when it was possible to know...

and being right doesn't mean that it was the right way to go about it. If stuff like this comes up again I'll flame again, cause it's not right to post hunches when it's not hard to come up with facts.

And sorry this took so long to post. I went through a whole roll of paper towels getting all the little chuncks out of my keyboard! I think there'sss still ssssomething wrong with the sssss key!

Matt

Old 02-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
ohh but indeed it has...

How about according M7 the same credit you seem to enjoy according yourself. It's pure presumption to say what they would or wouldn't have done.

This is exactly why M7 should not bother posting additional replies, IMO. They give you an answer and then you essentially accuse them of lying or at least hiding the truth.

So now I'll ask you. What axe are you grinding?

Old 02-16-2007, 10:06 AM
isellem
5th Gear
cool flame on...

i will still raise the BS flag when i see fit.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 62 kit on its way to M7 ... Yes it is happening