Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 62 kit on its way to M7 ... Yes it is happening

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Peter@M7Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by isellem
don't you work at M7?
You know what I know, yet you invent scenarios. I haven't seen the engine, but I trust what Peter and Randy have told us all.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have ZERO interest in seeing the m62 fail. If you look back at my posts and motorsports3 posts several time we post "good lucks" and "hope you make great power" etc... I have really been intereted in this project from the start! i really want to see this product succeed. I am a fan of the supercharged application... just check out my sig... I have pretty much pushed the m45 to the max... i don't want to go the turbo route for a daily driver...

so all in all my motive is not to torpedo the M62 like some might think...
So then all the posts from you and motorsports3 are just because M7 hasn't kept us up to date on a daily basis about the M62 project or any other projects they are working on?
Just because we all own MINIs doesn't mean that makes it our business.

I would think that being adults you guys would have more important things to worry about, instead of obsessing about what happened to the M7 car. Give it a rest. All this speculation from you two is not going to make them put the car together any faster or post anymore info any quicker.

Also, why do you need to see pics of a broken piston so bad? If you don't believe what they say, then so be it. Let it go, man.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:22 PM
motorsports3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Will @ M7 Tuning
This is as valid as any other theory from any other person who has posted here. I happen to know that mine is 100% plausible and fits well with the available data.
Thats all you have a theory...

Originally Posted by 62Lincoln
Motorsports, thanks for answering. I've got more questions (sorry about that).

To your first paragraph, this was posted earlier:
M7's person clearly states one piston, not the other 3. Can it be more clearly stated?

To your second paragraph, what are you implying? Have you seen the engine? Have you spoken to the owner? If the answer to either or both questions is yes, then quit tap dancing around the issue and state what you know/have seen clearly and concisely.
Reread what i wrote, If the owner of the car could post, he would and we would also get the TRUTH.

Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
You have intermixed some of M7's & DDM's testing results as well as misrepresenting some of the "facts".

This was reported by Bob. Bob's car has been worked on by DDM in SC.

I'm not really sure why you bother mentioning this, since it was never mentioned as a "problem" except by you right here.

This is more based on your supposition and Bob's expectations than the developers. Dave has always been clear that he expected differing results on different cars, thus the multiple levels of mod/tune in the beta cars.

This is, at best, a poorly summarized version of events as I understand it (IMO).

Again, not a fair summarization as I understand it. Your version clearly suggests (IMO) some fault on the part of the tuners. It's far more fair to stick to what DID happen as stated by M7, rather than to speculate by saying what it "can cause".

Complete and unflattering speculation. Where was this version of events stated by those present for the tuning?

Again, not exactly what M7 has stated publicly.
Fireman, Can i ask how you fit into this whole equation? How are you in the know or are you just taking what M7 says as gospel?

Old 02-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Peter@M7Tuning
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by motorsports3
Which, unlike some, is all I said I had. That's my point. Do not make wild claims unless you have proof, not just speculation. Theories are fine, but make sure everyone knows they are theories, and not passed off as more than that.

I'm finished with this thread for now. I hope some of you have understood what I've said.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:34 PM
trackster
5th Gear
don't you work at M7?
Just a hint but look at his screen name . Are you going for the " master of the obvious " award. I may be behind the times but when I've built or rebuilt motors I never took pictures. Why would someone want to do that ? On another front if you don't beleive someone when they say something why would you beleive the pictures ? They could be from anyones motor, rite ?

Old 02-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
This is as valid as any other theory from any other person who has posted here. I happen to know that mine is 100% plausible and fits well with the available data.
Is that not all that you have?
If you were there and witnessed exactly what happened and have some solid facts, please share it with the rest of the class.

You possibly have seen other MINI engines break or blow up due to one thing or another, that doesn't mean that the same exact scenario holds true for every engine failure.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Fireman, Can i ask how you fit into this whole equation? How are you in the know or are you just taking what M7 says as gospel?
No problem. I'm mostly an interested bystander, but I also own the last beta test car at DDM. Before you read too much into that, I'm not adding much of anything to the development beyond following it here and via the occasional phone call since I'm in Afghanistan working for the military.

And no, I don't accept everything at face value or as gospel. I just don't seem to carry the baggage into this that some do here (again IMO). Where & when possible, I've taken the time to contact the developers directly if I have questions. Some of what I've been told has not been my business to share, so I have not and will not. I believe that any early adopters have to go into a project like this with a measure of faith (educated faith hopefully) due to the very nature of the undertaking.

Frankly, I agree with some of what has been said here by those of you I see as detractors. And to be fair to Isellum, he has indeed been fair at times to M7 (IMO). I have no problem whatsoever for people to question what has been happening with the M62 cars. But if you don't get an answer from them, it doesn't automatically make them deceptive. I just think the largely baseless and mean-spirited accusations are uneeded in this discussion.

BTW, If you doubt the truthfulness of anything I've written here, feel free to hit me with a PM and I'll give you my direct dial number over here.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:22 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know what I know, yet you invent scenarios. I haven't seen the engine, but I trust what Peter and Randy have told us all.
the reason why i asked is because you said you were 3k miles away and i was confused... maybe you are on vacation or traveling or something... thats the only reason why i said that.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Ok, I just got an email with a pic of the broken piston...

this is just speculation on my part, but it looks like
the heat may have swelled it up a little bit. The broken
skirt must be on the other side. I wonder if that penguin
had anything to do with it. He will be thoroughly questioned
as to what really happened inside the engine of the M7 car.
Stay tuned...

Old 02-16-2007, 07:26 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Originally Posted by trackster
Just a hint but look at his screen name . Are you going for the " master of the obvious " award. I may be behind the times but when I've built or rebuilt motors I never took pictures. Why would someone want to do that ? On another front if you don't beleive someone when they say something why would you beleive the pictures ? They could be from anyones motor, rite ?

wow... that was quite rude... anyways... i asked the question because he said he was 3k miles away and it confused me. So i asked a question. Don't get so damn testy.

well when you tear down an engine and people are speculating that you lost the motor... i would take pictures to prove them wrong... its not like they built the motor and said they put forged pistons in and i am asking them to dismantle there motor, take a pic and put it back together... obviously the motor is already apart... it shouldn't be too difficult.

And yes they could be from anyones motor... but with this case i guess i would have to see that the skirt is damaged like they said it was... and when that just might give it some validity...

Old 02-16-2007, 07:26 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Fireman
No problem. I'm mostly an interested bystander, but I also own the last beta test car at DDM. Before you read too much into that, I'm not adding much of anything to the development beyond following it here and via the occasional phone call since I'm in Afghanistan working for the military. Where/when possible, I've taken the time to contact the developers directly if I have questions.

And no, I don't accept everything at face value or as gospel. I just don't seem to carry the baggage into this that some do here (again IMO). Where & when possible, I've taken the time to contact the developers directly if I have questions. Some of what I've been told has not been my business to share, so I have not and will not. I believe that any early adopters have to go into a project like this with a measure of faith (educated faith hopefully) due to the very nature of the undertaking.

Frankly, I agree with some of what has been said here by those of you I see as detractors. And to be fair to Isellum, he has indeed been fair at times to M7 (IMO). I have no problem whatsoever for people to question what has been happening with the M62 cars. But if you don't get an answer from them, it doesn't automatically make them deceptive. I just think the largely baseless and mean-spirited accusations are uneeded in this discussion.

BTW, If you doubt the truthfulness of anything I've written here, feel free to hit me with a PM and I'll give you my direct dial number over here.
Is yours the black JCW..... very nice looking car.....

Old 02-16-2007, 07:28 PM
sdv515
4th Gear
i'm cracking up. just got done skimming over this very serious thread, and then i saw that pic. hilarious, almost believed it for a second, penguin is a dead give a way.
i agree with what isellem and m3 are saying, if someone didnt come forward with the truth the first go around whats to say they arent hiding something else. (if that is what they are saying)

Old 02-16-2007, 07:31 PM
isellem
5th Gear
smoking gun

Which, unlike some, is all I said I had. That's my point. Do not make wild claims unless you have proof, not just speculation. Theories are fine, but make sure everyone knows they are theories, and not passed off as more than that.

I'm finished with this thread for now. I hope some of you have understood what I've said.
i have had several PMs from several differnt people saying that they hear that i am on the right and that the car has indeed lost 3 pistons. that the IATS were ridiculous... and the ringlands are cracked.

***** in your court guys...

M7 feel free to confirm or deny

Old 02-16-2007, 07:32 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sdv515
i'm cracking up. just got done skimming over this very serious thread, and then i saw that pic. hilarious, almost believed it for a second, penguin is a dead give a way.
i agree with what isellem and m3 are saying, if someone didnt come forward with the truth the first go around whats to say they arent hiding something else. (if that is what they are saying)

thank you. at least someone can see that they aren't being 100% upfront or truthful or forthcoming or whatever is the friendliest way to say it.

just look at the circumstances of events... my hunch wasn't a blatent rumor mill starter...

Old 02-16-2007, 07:33 PM
isellem
5th Gear

provide us with the proof...

Old 02-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by sdv515
But that's what I don't understand about those two, it was neither of their cars that broke, so why obsess about it all day long? Even if M7 were withholding information, who cares? Just kick back and wait until it's up and running again.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
i have had several PMs from several differnt people saying that they hear that i am on the right and that the car has indeed lost 3 pistons. that the IATS were ridiculous... and the ringlands are cracked.
Who cares? What difference does it make if it's one piston or three? Who cares?

Several different people who just hear that? That's some solid info you got there.

EDIT: Were any of your info providers there when it happened? Do they have any pics?

Old 02-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
No comment? That's what I thought.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX
Is yours the black JCW..... very nice looking car.....
Yes. Thanks, Bob.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:31 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN
Whoa there, high speed. Take it easy. I am sure isellem will respond. We waited for M7 for three weeks. I am sure you can give the guy slightly less than. It being a Friday night and all that.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:35 PM
shoeboy
2nd Gear
show me pictures of the ringlands and i will stop theorizing
edit: Please show me pictures of the ringlands and I will stop hypothesizing.

wow... that was quite rude...

Old 02-16-2007, 08:55 PM
isellem
5th Gear
lol... still no response from M7 confirming or denying. just someone who works for them not confirming or denying...thats great

Old 02-16-2007, 08:56 PM
isellem
5th Gear
thanks for giving me a whopping 30 minutes to respond

Old 02-16-2007, 09:05 PM
isellem
5th Gear
Who cares? What difference does it make if it's one piston or three? Who cares?

Several different people who just hear that? That's some solid info you got there.

EDIT: Were any of your info providers there when it happened? Do they have any pics?
and what proof do you have? None... thats right! ohh yeah... at least i have some people who have actually seen the car and said that the motor is indeed blown... and if they are lieing what do they have to gain by PMing me that info? my friendship? an e-hug? I guess its just a giant conspiracy against M7...

Who cares? the point is about people telling the truth. Its about over promising, under delivering... always shooting up hype, almost never posting any results... but i guess thats not new around here... even Don from DMH said that dyno results are swayed and unreliable ways of measuring and comparing he preached and preached and preached this... BUT when he made a great number... he posted it... lol the hypocrasy.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:13 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
I’ve been incommunicado for about a week, and I missed NAM quite a bit; until I saw this childish diatribe.

It’s pretty obvious to me that some around here have an agenda, a lack of common courtesy or most likely both.

We deal with vendors in all facets of our life, NAM being a small subset. I’ve made a conscious decision to not do business with some companies, and I have chosen to do so for my own, personal reasons. Others of course do the same; and on top of that, a few somehow feel compelled to share this personal decision publicly, even repeatedly.

Listen, if you don’t like how a company expresses itself, promotes its products, feel betrayed due to a lack of information, or whatever, then I would venture to guess you’ve made a decision to not do business with them. Spare us all the personal judgment in this public space.

On the topic of the DFIC, sure Alta showed their offering (a prototype) on NAM earlier; like this means something. But when M7 revealed the DFIC, it was a final production piece, and with that, was to market sooner. I suppose if Peter would have shown a prototype sooner, we wouldn’t have to hear such worthless comparisons as to who posted first on NAM. Instead, we would have heard crap of how M7 talks too prematurely about a product . Damned if you do, and damned if you don’t...

In a vendor, I look for products that I want, prices that I find reasonable, and support that I feel I deserve. I get that from M7. If I didn’t, I certainly wouldn’t feel the need to belabor them publicly; unless I had ulterior motives, or was wronged in some dealing and attempts at private communications were fruitless. I realize that some have favorites around here, and that is fine, but the negative campaigning is shameful.

If and when the M62 proves to be worthwhile, I have nothing more to say here...

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 62 kit on its way to M7 ... Yes it is happening