Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 62 kit on its way to M7 ... Yes it is happening

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vdubdoug
My reason's are pretty simple.

1. It doesn't make that much power for the cost of it. From my research a m62 is around 2500 to 2800 dollars, Then you need to figure in your R&D and then the Software ???, and injectors $300 + to run it. A pulley, and Brackets, a Waterpump. This gets very expensive and you have not even installed it yet.....

But I can well imagine if it pumps out the Torque it would be hella fun to drive but never cost effective.

In my opinion it might be better to add a LSD and change the transmission gearing. Wo needs to go over 140 anyway.
I think some of those judgements are premature at this point, but whatever. I've already got an 06 tranny with LSD. IMO, it may be better to have the earlier tranny with the extra torque from the M62, but we shall see.

I decided to give the M62 a go because it's a pretty stealthy mod that should respond well to other mods and make power/TQ in the parts of the powerband that I want it to. Only time will tell if the money was well spent (to me).

Last edited by Mini Fireman; 04-11-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Beecher
4th Gear
sorry, this is sort of unrelated, but since nothing usefull is happening anyway....

you know what i want to see?
A centrifical supercharger on a mini. Since we can fit turbos, we can fit one of them, i should think, but the mechanicals are a bit different, but it would be cool to see, and i bet that would give a kick in the pants too. you would get the low temps of a turbo, but without the lag, weird pissing sounds ( i dont like turbos or bov's, hahah) and you should be able to get higher boost out of it than a sc to boot, not to mention the much lower temps (again, lol, but decreasing temps seems to be a theme around here). Just a thought, you would still be SC'd. I had looked into one for 06 mustang in the driveway, but figured i would just end up building a 8000rpm 327 in a few years instead.

Beecher

Last edited by Beecher; 04-11-2007 at 12:29 PM. Reason: i should really proof read before posting, i havnt posted in weeks that hasnt needed an edit because i cant type!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wo needs to go over 140 anyway.[/quote]

I do .

Longboard

Old 04-11-2007, 12:48 PM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
Mini Fireman,

Well i guess my only Premature Judgement is the Power level. Since i have only seen one report. But the cost is way more than I would spend Now if it was 2500 or 3000 and it was something i could install easily that might be a different issue.

Longboard,
Find me a Public road in the US road that was built with people running 140mph in mind????

Old 04-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by vdubdoug
Mini Fireman,

Well i guess my only Premature Judgement is the Power level. Since i have only seen one report. But the cost is way more than I would spend Now if it was 2500 or 3000 and it was something i could install easily that might be a different issue.
The kit is being made with a self-install in mind and I don't think the final cost has been finalized yet.

Last edited by Mini Fireman; 04-11-2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:43 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
The $s spent is a personal choice but I had a pretty nice Mini before the 62 and the 62 makes it that much better... Ii still think my car is underachieving but it is a hell of a ride.....

If you have an 02-04 a new gearbox is a good idea... I would like to have one.....there are many that think that is a waste of $ and not a good value ... the car runs fine etc.... I hope you see my point. Driving a Mini that has 225 and 190 tq WHP while delivering the power this linear is something that most would need to do to appreciate.... some of the high whp turbos have very anemic tq curves (fortunately not the 07)..... there will be several at the Dragon.... go for a ride... it may or may not be for you.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Beecher
4th Gear
i belive there are certain roads in the midwest and new mexica and nevada where you could get away with 140 on the road. Besides, if you track your car at all you will want that speed. Ive done autocrosses were my stock motored (for another week or 2) cooper would get up to 60. and it was only a 60sec coures. My friend said his jcw could do alot more than that if he was running it. You can never have enough power or speed, you never know when an emergencey might come up where you need it, like last call...

Beecher

Old 04-11-2007, 04:02 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by Beecher
i belive there are certain roads in the midwest and new mexica and nevada where you could get away with 140 on the road. Besides, if you track your car at all you will want that speed. Ive done autocrosses were my stock motored (for another week or 2) cooper would get up to 60. and it was only a 60sec coures. My friend said his jcw could do alot more than that if he was running it. You can never have enough power or speed, you never know when an emergencey might come up where you need it, like last call...

Beecher
I am sorry, but how would you friend know how much more he can do if he never ran it? The reason I am asking is because I have both an MC and an MCS JCW and I autocross both. They are usually pretty close to each other. And on a right course an MC can beat a JCW, or a modded MCS. Many have done it.

Sorry for the Hi-Jack.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:54 PM
Beecher
4th Gear
sorry bad wording, he has ran it alot, he just wasnt running it that day. There was basically a straight line (for a mini anyway) across the back, is was an s that deviated less than a car width, and about 250 feet long. He knew how fast is car could get in that distance, plus he could carry alot more speed out of the corner that lead onto the straight. I wasnt going to say, because it has no bearing, but the 300hp full race miatas were running about 80, and i m not certain for sure, but i think that is roughly what his ferrari was running, i remember glancing once, and it was about 75, but that was on the first run, which was the first time he autoxed the ferrari, he shaved a whole bunch of seconds off his time, and got alot more agressive. Plus, it was my first autox, so iwasnt as good as he is. His car also has a full suspension, where mine was stock (and i eventually found out severly underinflated tires, hahah, stupid 85 degrees for months then50 one random morning). im quite certrain his jcw with him driving would blow me away on an autox. He does have a full suspension and 100 whp or so on me after all. I know if you get a great mc driver he can give a good mcs driver a run for his money, but i wasnt really comparing apples to apples with a comparison between me and him (or our cars). We can find out for sure in a couple weeks tho, race season starts! and i will be running against his mini and a whole lot of others! I can hardly wait!

Beecher

Old 04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Beecher
4th Gear
i mean, im not saying that you would need 140mph in any autocross, but if your running at least 70 or 80 in one, you would want a whole lot more on a track. But i guess that would depend on the track as well, the ones around here tend to have a bunch of lenthy straights... if you had a tight course you woundt need that speed, you would be better off building it into the bottom end

ultimatly, we were only talking about rolling start drag race. Last time i went head to head with a pullied s i got blown out of the water, but i did almost run with a stock one, until 3rd gear, then i was left behind again. And i suppose there is more info, to give as well, he only ran with me on my first couple runs, i think, and ibelive i shaved about 10 seconds off my times over those 5 runs. So i was probably at least 8 seconds faster (the 60) at the end then when any comments were made. I might have only been doing 45 or 50 the first couple of times, make even just 70mph 20 or 25 mph faster. Although it just occured to me, you may be talking about the whole run, and i was simple making comment about the straight line speed that occured durring a portion of the run, which may have caused some confusion.

I too appologize for the highjack.

Last edited by Beecher; 04-11-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:33 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Beecher: it's all good. Thanks for the explanation.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:20 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Somewhat off topic, but it has been raised here. No roads in New Mexico are good for 140. There are some good roads for Minis, but not for speed.
And I think a recent Automobile mag had a roadtrip (they don't seem to do road tests anymore, it's all narrative these days) in a Lambo where speeds of 140+ were reported. It was out of LV to Parumph or however you spell that name.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
Somewhat off topic, but it has been raised here. No roads in New Mexico are good for 140. There are some good roads for Minis, but not for speed.
And I think a recent Automobile mag had a roadtrip (they don't seem to do road tests anymore, it's all narrative these days) in a Lambo where speeds of 140+ were reported. It was out of LV to Parumph or however you spell that name.
when I drove through NM there was plenty of 140 roads... I know cause it was posted .... I would never go that fast except on the track....

Old 04-12-2007, 01:43 PM
verveAbsolut
4th Gear
Hullo,

I think I have to ask the question everyone's who's ever followed this thread is wondering...

What's the status?

- Matt

Old 04-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Beecher
4th Gear
you mean you want us to get back on topic? when was the last on topic post anyway? must have been a while back... hahah

Beecher

Old 04-12-2007, 02:27 PM
ChrisW
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Beecher
you mean you want us to get back on topic? when was the last on topic post anyway? must have been a while back... hahah

Beecher

No it was yestesday when I bumped the thread to try and get some info on it.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:40 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Putz
No it was yestesday when I bumped the thread to try and get some info on it.
Since Dave has been so busy getting ready for the Dragon.... he told me today he has not seen NAM for a while..... the latest is that five 62 cars including mine will be at the Dragon and DDM is using the Dragon as the official release date of the kits..... I assume pricing delivery and demo rides will all be available.....

I took a guy from LA with a track prepared 914 for a ride to day and he was "blown away".......

Old 04-12-2007, 10:58 PM
latte hiatus
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX
...DDM is using the Dragon as the official release date of the kits..... I assume pricing delivery and demo rides will all be available.....
Perfect timing for those of us debating whether to go with a Jesus head or a M62 for the next big mod! Comparing the two will be like comparing apples and oranges, but nonetheless, it's an interesting dilemma. I'm looking forward to seeing what steers people towards headwork over the M62 and vice versa.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:39 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by latte hiatus
Perfect timing for those of us debating whether to go with a Jesus head or a M62 for the next big mod! Comparing the two will be like comparing apples and oranges, but nonetheless, it's an interesting dilemma. I'm looking forward to seeing what steers people towards headwork over the M62 and vice versa.
How about both at the same time .

Old 04-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by latte hiatus
I'm interesting in doing both. I think HWSNBN's head and other goodies would compliment the M62 quite well. I've spoken to HWSNBN about doing a head/cam/exhaust/tune to my M62 car in the future. First I want to get home and put some miles on my car. See you all at MOTD in a couple of weeks.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:45 PM
latte hiatus
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
Of course! It'd give the rest of us something to aim for.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:16 AM
SayGoodbye
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
I really really like how you think!

Old 04-13-2007, 04:52 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
The 62 begs for a head..... IMO. there will be cars with and without heads at the Dragon.... seriously, don't forget Juston's header... this pic is the original prototype... the actual is coated and amazing in its detail.... Oh, it also is magic on the car

Last edited by SpiderX; 02-15-2008 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:02 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
I know this isn't adding much to the conversation but... that header is frickin gorgeous

Old 04-13-2007, 05:06 AM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX
The 62 begs for a head..... IMO. there will be cars with and without heads at the Dragon.... seriously, don't forget Juston's header... this pic is the original prototype... the actual is coated and amazing in its detail.... Oh, it also is magic on the car
I added one of the the headers to my car as well. It's the 4-2-1 version.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 62 kit on its way to M7 ... Yes it is happening