Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 62 kit on its way to M7 ... Yes it is happening

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:06 AM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMM
I'm guessing about 30 hp more? How much $$$ is the new bigger supercharger? I'm guessing about $2500? Does anything else have to be changed?
Pricing hasn't been released but there's been a lot of conjecture that it will be materially more than $2500.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by whskysouth
I will be at the Dragon and rides will be available. Jack
Jack, please add my name to the ride list.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:08 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man all of this talking is making me anxious to see the final HP & Torque numbers.nod: and of course the price.

but all comes in good time. patience is definitely a vurtue.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:41 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIotaple
Pricing hasn't been released but there's been a lot of conjecture that it will be materially more than $2500.
A few months ago before I lost interest in this thread it was around $3500 for parts only.
The 21-22 lbs of boost i've heard this system pushes on stock internals is too much. What kind of IAT's are you seeing SpiderX?

Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:22 PM
spillman
5th Gear
Holly crap this isnt finished yet???

Old 04-19-2007, 04:48 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
A few months ago before I lost interest in this thread it was around $3500 for parts only.
The 21-22 lbs of boost i've heard this system pushes on stock internals is too much. What kind of IAT's are you seeing SpiderX?
My IATs run from 60 and 80s on up..... with the DFIC I have a high of about 30 deg above ambient to a low of about 10 deg above ambient..... The IAT is not a huge problem... however there is another dimension...that of pressure and parasitic drag ...... that we are looking at.

My Car while the first (sort of) is not going to be the power leader for the 62 cars.... there are some coming with pretty trick heads going to be done soon. Look for Dane's car to be in the 235 (just a guess) range......

I have suspisions that my car could benefit from another head but it runs pretty good and I like driving it..... The $ to improve it 10 - 15 more whp could pull me out of it...... maybe....we'll see

Old 04-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Johan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by spillman
Holly crap this isnt finished yet???

Old 04-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
$3500.00 for parts? I know this is a guess but add the cost of a real tune and labor and it might be the 5k realm.

So to get to just the 235 range you would need the M62 + head + header + intake + tune + exhaust + injectors + labor.

I though the whole original idea was that with a few mods a guy could bolt on the M62 and get 250.

Longboard

Old 04-19-2007, 07:21 PM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
NM, The post I was responding to disappeared.

EDIT: as to the price.. It's becoming painfully obvious that the economical way to do the M62 conversion is to piece together your own swap, and then take it in for a custom tune (Don has said he's tuned an M62 or two in his day). I still imagine it's a worthwhile upgrade for some.

One fellow on fleabay was willing to straight trade my M45 for a rebuilt M62. I can't take my car out of service long enough to see if it'd be worth it. Finding an M62 off of a wreck might be better...

Last edited by RedSkunk; 04-19-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:57 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
$3500.00 for parts? I know this is a guess but add the cost of a real tune and labor and it might be the 5k realm.

So to get to just the 235 range you would need the M62 + head + header + intake + tune + exhaust + injectors + labor.

I though the whole original idea was that with a few mods a guy could bolt on the M62 and get 250.

Longboard
The 62 is an exercise in opening up the envelope...... be a little open minded..... think of what a 62 would do for your 231.9 car..... The 62 is not the cheap way to go..... it adds to the car that is "done" or is a building block. The R&D that has been done has netted a lot of answers and has given people things to think about....

Many ppeople already have all the mods besides the 62 and the incremental cost of adding a 62 is just a "next stage"..... These cars drive great with very nice power modulation and throttle response..... more later

Old 04-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Watch out!

Originally Posted by RedSkunk
Finding an M62 off of a wreck might be better...
A lot (all?) of the OEM M62s have custome cases, just like our Mini M45 does. Does the guy who wants to trade know that there's a water pump drive on the back of the Mini M45? Or that the intake port shape is somewhat, uh, unique?

I think if you go grab a 62 off of a factory install, you may find that it's not too usefull for you. Could be wrong here, but a lot I've seen mate to a facotry manifold, and aren't what I'd call "univeral".

Check the details before you swap.

Matt

Old 04-20-2007, 10:18 AM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
Yes, there are definitely those sorts of unplanned-for snags along the way, a custom manifold would have to be made, and it might not fit or work in the end anyways. Ergo I'm not even attempting till I have something else to daily drive.

I said economical, not painless.

There's gotta be a few junked Xterras or Cobalts out there that we could examine though.. In time.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX
The 62 is an exercise in opening up the envelope...... be a little open minded..... think of what a 62 would do for your 231.9 car..... The 62 is not the cheap way to go..... it adds to the car that is "done" or is a building block. The R&D that has been done has netted a lot of answers and has given people things to think about....

Many people already have all the mods besides the 62 and the incremental cost of adding a 62 is just a "next stage"..... These cars drive great with very nice power modulation and throttle response..... more later
Spider,

Please don't get me wrong. I applaud you for taking the risk and using your car as a test mule. I also applaud DDM for the fine work they have done. I think it's allot more then an exercise as you call it. It definitely isn't a cheap alternative for big numbers. As of now, it is an expensive alternative that so fare fails to deliver. Hell, I had the money set aside when the whole M62 idea started.

I am very open minded which is why I took the plunge and gave my trust and car to El to use as a test mule. In the near future I to will be running a new blower.

The question is, why would I want to risk my engine by running 6 more pounds of boost on our 91 octane gas when I can safely get more horsepower with 15lbs of boost? I don't really see the M62 as building block but rather a step backward from what has been shown with the R&D. Sorry. At this point it really seems that the M62 is just not an efficient blower for our cars.

So far my car is producing more HP for less money then you similar car with the M62 kit. I think people will be shocked in a few months after they see whats on my car and the horsepower obtained.

Longboard

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 04-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
HA HA! the gauntlet... LOL... I am so glad my car is rediculous already... cuase this stuff is great... and I just get to watch and be entertained... LOL

Old 04-20-2007, 12:18 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
I'm curious, what is the thought behind going to the M62. Does it come on earlier building the bottom end, add more in the and continue on to a higher peak, or is it a portion of the above.

I really want to drive one of these to feel it. I'm sorry i didn't ask Tuls to let me drive the turbo when we were at AMVIV. It would be nice to compare these different methodoligies using the butt dyno.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
heh... 300 ft lbs... mmmm I think it woulda ruined it for you....

again... I am not taking anythign away from the M62....

just that my methodoligy was to take away work... not create more... I am still concerned with the parasitic drag of the M62... unfortunately I do not have another S... or the $ to test this whole thing my self....

I felt Spider's in the early stages and was impressed with the punchyness... though it was just that... punchy... like bam nothing shift bam nothing... now if you like muscle cars... you will love this... even Spider has said it's not for high reving... where as I shift at 7500-8500 when going at it.... depending on certain things... hit 9400 once that was no bueno... LOL but it sounded like a motor cycle.... LOL

I prefer bampuuuuuuuuuuush.... shift bampuuuuuuUUUUUSH

Last edited by Tüls; 04-20-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:46 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tüls
heh... 300 ft lbs... mmmm I think it woulda ruined it for you....
Something makes me think it's like schtupping a super model

Old 04-20-2007, 12:47 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Spider,

Please don't get me wrong. I applaud you for taking the risk and using your car as a test mule. I also applaud DDM for the fine work they have done. I think it's allot more then an exercise as you call it. It definitely isn't a cheap alternative for big numbers. As of now, it is an expensive alternative that so fare fails to deliver. Hell, I had the money set aside when the whole M62 idea started.

I am very open minded which is why I took the plunge and gave my trust and car to El to use as a test mule. In the near future I to will be running a new blower.

The question is, why would I want to risk my engine by running 6 more pounds of boost on our 91 octane gas when I can safely get more horsepower with 15lbs of boost? I don't really see the M62 as building block but rather a step backward from what has been shown with the R&D. Sorry. At this point it really seems that the M62 is just not an efficient blower for our cars.

So far my car is producing more HP for less money then you similar car with the M62 kit. I think people will be shocked in a few months after they see whats on my car and the horsepower obtained.

Longboard

Sounds like you have it figured out.....best regards, Bob

Old 04-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
As I understand it....

Originally Posted by gnatster
I'm curious, what is the thought behind going to the M62. Does it come on earlier building the bottom end, add more in the and continue on to a higher peak, or is it a portion of the above.
The work was motivated by the desire to get the low end push of a 19% pulley without loosing it all at the higher RPMs due to over twisting the M45 to the point of massive inefficiency.

Matt

Old 04-20-2007, 01:05 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
The main appeal to me and quite a few others in CA, and CA-like states, is the desire to up the power (namely useable, on the low-end) with a change in forced induction. As of now, a turbo swap and addition (TC) are not CARB-certified. These run the risk of not passing a smog inspection, and the pain-in-the-butt implications that would then follow...

While many would love to see such certification, particularly with a stand-alone turbo, the reality of this doesn't look promising. At least with the M62, a smog visual doesn't pose a problem. Getting this thing tuned to make it a desirable option for the MINI is proving to be a challenge though...

Old 04-22-2007, 01:15 PM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
So far my car is producing more HP for less money then you similar car with the M62 kit.
Spider's car is producing 15 pounds more torque than your car (going from his published numbers). It all depends on what you want: the pursuit of hp numbers at high rpms, or higher torque at perhaps lower rpms. I really don't know what to make of all of it, but I remain intrigued by Spider's torque numbers, and less enthralled by all out hp numbers at redline. Different strokes for different folks. Can't wait to see what you do next with your car, Longboard!

Old 04-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I think we're all skinning the same cat....

using different knives.... And I also think none have gotten all the meat off the bones yet, so to speak.....

Matt

Old 04-22-2007, 04:11 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
using different knives.... And I also think none have gotten all the meat off the bones yet, so to speak.....

Matt
MMMMmmmmm Cat, the other, other white meat

Old 04-24-2007, 10:03 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Well I just got an email from Moss, of all places, announcing the wide availability of their new M62 kit complete with dyno charts. And for under $3000 too...

Okay so they only got 176hp, but why is MINI stuff always available last? M7, DDM and Helix better hurry up with their kits!

Old 04-24-2007, 10:57 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Well only 176hp.... but heck that's like a 70% increase! And torque is over 60% improved... I think many of us would love such a bump for the MINI!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 62 kit on its way to M7 ... Yes it is happening