Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 62 kit on its way to M7 ... Yes it is happening

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:51 AM
04SDmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised Camelpilot didn't work in a plug for Webb. That's usually what follows all the negativity...

Old 01-23-2007, 11:53 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
Wow, camelpilot. You are a "glass is half-empty" type of person, aren't you?
I'd rather be half-empty then full empty like that m62 kit was last night.

Your post was a downer, but then I really got depressed after reading your signature's green text...
i can give u a hug if that will help.

Cheer up! Life's too short to be so cynical.
Are you serious? This "needs bigger injectors" line made me well cheerful.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:54 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Wow, I'm surprised Camelpilot didn't work in a plug for Webb. That's usually what follows all the negativity..." - 04SDmini

Easy - I'm not involved with this.

Randy

PS -I can't keep happy customers from making plugs, even if it is innappropriate

Last edited by RandyBMC; 01-23-2007 at 11:56 AM. Reason: to show quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:57 AM
saifa
4th Gear
Why the bashing....

If you know something we dont please share the info as I am curous.

Thanks

Seann

Old 01-23-2007, 12:00 PM
04SDmini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RandyBMC
"Wow, I'm surprised Camelpilot didn't work in a plug for Webb. That's usually what follows all the negativity..." - 04SDmini

Easy - I'm not involved with this.

Randy

PS -I can't keep happy customers from making plugs, even if it is innappropriate
Sorry Randy... I didn't mean anything negative towards you guys. Just an observation that struck me as funny

Old 01-23-2007, 12:50 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Careful, you can get voted off the island with that kind of talk!

Old 01-23-2007, 12:58 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by isellem
mind if i ask what injectors you are running and how much power you were making when you ran out of fuel? This will probably be good info for many on NAM, because i think fuel injector size is one thing overlooked in the MINI community and i know many people respect your opinon and experiance
They are running 400s and therer are 440s are in my car..... I spoke with a member of the team who was very impressed with the power he was getting from the butt dyno... remember this is a 224 whp car to start with.....

I was going to post something about the negative comments but it hardly seems worth it......

Old 01-23-2007, 01:05 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by SpiderX
They are running 400s and therer are 440s are in my car..... I spoke with a member of the team who was very impressed with the power he was getting from the butt dyno... remember this is a 224 whp car to start with.....

I was going to post something about the negative comments but it hardly seems worth it......
What negative comments? People are just asking for the information that supposedly was going to be available shortly. At least so we were lead to believe.

If you are talking about camelpilot... well, everyone knows he just tends to speak his mind. Personally, I think it's his upbringing.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:09 PM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by goaljnky
If you are talking about camelpilot... well, everyone knows he just tends to speak his mind. Personally, I think it's his upbringing.
dood, if u tell anyone about my upbringing, then i'm telling them about Eugene.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:15 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by goaljnky
What negative comments? People are just asking for the information that supposedly was going to be available shortly. At least so we were lead to believe.

I just spoke with Peter and he is going out later to install the injectors... if they can get the tuner and the dyno time they will tune tonight....if not tomorrow.... you have to understand that without unlimited funds that when things get screwed it can take a few days to unscrew them.... especially when you don't own a dyno or have employed one of the best tuners in LA to do the work... maybe he has other clients and you have to wait your turn again..... it will be soon

I will post mine as soona s Dave is done.... we are experimenting with a 4x1 as well as the "tri-y" header

as far as Camel.... he keeps it interesting

Old 01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
goaljnky
Banned
I thought M7 were tunners?

Old 01-23-2007, 01:40 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by camelpilot
dood, if u tell anyone about my upbringing, then i'm telling them about Eugene.
Watch it, Matt. I deleted the post above because it was inappropriate and disrespectful.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:59 PM
saifa
4th Gear
If the car is 224whp to begin with then it obviously has a SC and possibly crank pulleys. Technically would you not have to subtract their respective gains from the 224 to get accurate reslutls. That sounds kind of dumb but hopefully people get what I am trying to say. Thats why I am curious as to what mods it has prior to the M62 being installed.

Bob can you please repost your before and after M62 HP again. What pulley were you running prior to the M62 to get you beforer number?

Seann

Old 01-23-2007, 04:08 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Are you saying that a more fair comparison would be to mount the M62 on a stock car and see what kind of gains it makes vs. a car that has already been modded to 224 whp? Makes sense.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Cosmic Purple
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by saifa
If the car is 224whp to begin with then it obviously has a SC and possibly crank pulleys. Technically would you not have to subtract their respective gains from the 224 to get accurate reslutls. That sounds kind of dumb but hopefully people get what I am trying to say.

Seann
I think there are more factors and parameters involved than just the size of the pulleys before. Both SpiderX and M7's car are running about the same before mods. Bob constantly underestimates the power of the SpiderX car. But any who saw his sig knows he's tried every known mod available for the mini. With respect to previous concerns or speculation about possible problems with this mod... at some point the injectors, fuel delivery system, and software become the limiting factors here. Just as with the problems the turbo only folk have run into. It's easy to strap on the turbo, the difficulty probably comes in getting the factory ecu to cooperate.
So, the intial comparison between the gains made by SpiderX and M7 were supposed to be contrasted with a stock mini. The difference there should show the difference in how much much of a difference the factory head limits the car vs a ported and polished. The current pulley sizes of the car probably doesn't matter that much since they have to be changed anyway. It wouldn't suprise if next they'll be trying to change the fuel rail and add a bigger pump. Then overriding the ecu's, then... the never ending quest for power! It's a kit.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:14 PM
isellem
5th Gear
depending on fuel pressue... im guessing you ran out at around 240 to the wheels... just a guess... depeneds on how high injector duty cylce you were will to burn

Old 01-23-2007, 05:32 PM
saifa
4th Gear
I guess I am just wondering why people are saying the car makes X amount of power when that power includes mods (SC and Crank pulleys) that no longer will be relevant with the M62.

224hp then minus a SC pulley's hp + the M62 is alot to figure. Especially considering there are 15, 16 , 17 and 19% pulleys available.

Seann

Old 01-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
I guess I am just wondering why people are saying the car makes X amount of power when that power includes mods (SC and Crank pulleys) that no longer will be relevant with the M62.

224hp then minus a SC pulley's hp + the M62 is alot to figure. Especially considering there are 15, 16 , 17 and 19% pulleys available.

Seann
Resized crank pulleys and SC reduction pulleys only apply to the stock M45 application in the MCS in this instance. Part of the engineering of the M62 kit is to figure out what RPM/boost level to run it at. Obviously, that's determined by the pulleys. Apples and oranges in this case Seann.

Last edited by Mini Fireman; 01-23-2007 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-23-2007, 07:22 PM
saifa
4th Gear
I see what your saying but I kind of give up cause no one seems to really grasp what I am getting at. You can't take a 224hp car that is obviously pulley reduced and simply add what the M62 will provide because part of that 224hp is derived using say a 15% pulley which proded say 15hp to that number which is no longer relevant because its not being used.

You would need to dyno that M45 equipped 224hp car without the reduced supercharger pulley (lets go with the M7 16% for example) then take that as the true base number before the M62 is bolted on...does anyone understand what i am getting at or am i the one confused.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
I see what your saying but I kind of give up cause no one seems to really grasp what I am getting at. You can't take a 224hp car that is obviously pulley reduced and simply add what the M62 will provide because part of that 224hp is derived using say a 15% pulley which proded say 15hp to that number which is no longer relevant because its not being used.

You would need to dyno that M45 equipped 224hp car without the reduced supercharger pulley (lets go with the M7 16% for example) then take that as the true base number before the M62 is bolted on...does anyone understand what i am getting at or am i the one confused.
Yea I see your point, but if you look at it that way, it would just increase the benefit from the M62. It's still apples and oranges because if you look at the package that makes it turn out 224whp, the pulley changes that derive that boost level out of the M45 in that case are not relative to the M62.

I don't want to rehash the other M62 thread ad nauseum, I'll just close by pointing out the core benefit of the M62. It generates increased volume without the corresponding heat production as compared to the smaller M45. Because of that, it has a different set of variables to deal with as compared to the M45 (injector size, pulley sizes, etc...).

Old 01-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Dave@ddmworks
Manufacturer
During the whole development of this kit we have tried to test it on as many different variables as possible. We have tested the kit on several different stock cars now, and cars with various different levels of tune, heads, exhausts, headers, intercoolers, etc.

That is what has taken time to do, and do right. This is not a simple exhaust that we are making, it is a complete supercharger and a major part of the cooling system. The tough thing about the whole development process on something like the DDM62 has been making sure that it plays well with all the other possible mods someone has or may plan to put on their car and also being able to let the perspective buyer know what kind of power they can also expect when they buy the kit based on the mods they have. It would have been much easier to put out a kit that would require you to buy a certain head, header, intake, exhaust, ecu, etc. all at the same time, as it eliminates all of the guess work, but that is not what I wanted to put out. The goal of the kit is to have something that gives more head room for power than what the smaller stock M45 can supply, and have it work with as many different combinations of intercoolers, intakes, headers, heads, exhausts, ecu's, etc as possible. To be the next level of performance for supercharged MINI's.

The testing that is being done on the car out west that M7 is doing is just to give us another point of reference of what the DDM62 is capable of doing with another set of variables that we have not tested here in South Carolina. Once all of the testing is done, I am sure we will see the delta's of before and after horsepower and more importantly torque.

Besides horsepower numbers, torque numbers and area under the curve affect the driveability of the car also, and that is were the DDM62 has really been interesting to drive. Throttle response is improved and the engine just seems bigger, instead of seeming like a wound up 4 cylinder, it feels like a 6 cylinder.

Don't worry though, all of the drawings for the kit are ready to go, once we are happy with the numbers from M7 and the final fitting on a few cars we are testing here this week, you should be seeing a post from Bob titled something like "DDM62 pre-orders are being taken"

Take care,
Dave

Old 01-23-2007, 08:06 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
I'm sure once the M62 stuff is all sorted out and has been on the market for awhile, people will start messing around with pully sizes to try and spin it faster and faster. It will be like the M45 all over again. How fast can you spin an M62 before it starts creating so much heat that it stops making power????
I'm a believer in spinning blowers fast but after what happened to me this month, I'm more of a believer in tunning.

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 01-23-2007, 08:08 PM
saifa
4th Gear
I dont think its really apples to oranges when you consider the M7 car is apparently making 224whp on an M45 pullied car which is running similar supporting mods to Bobs M62 equipped car which in the other thread he claimed the Spider had 220whp. That doesn't compute to me.

there must be something missing from the equasion so maybe Bob or someone from M7 can fill in the blank.

Seann

Old 01-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Mini Fireman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Dave@ddmworks
Don't worry though, all of the drawings for the kit are ready to go, once we are happy with the numbers from M7 and the final fitting on a few cars we are testing here this week, you should be seeing a post from Bob titled something like "DDM62 pre-orders are being taken"

Old 01-23-2007, 08:25 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by Dave@ddmworks
<snip>...

Take care,
Dave
So will, or will not those numbers be told to the public prior to the "DDM62 pre-orders are being taken" announcement. And if so, exactly when might that happen.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 62 kit on its way to M7 ... Yes it is happening