Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Detroit Tuned Bypass Valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:03 PM
djdport66
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Detroit Tuned Bypass Valve

Has any installed this on an older MCS? Thoughts?

Thx

Old 01-17-2007, 06:04 PM
jeffc
7th Gear
I have a 2002 MCS and love it.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:05 PM
70spop
6th Gear
I will soon.

Based on Jeff's recommendation, I just ordered one for my '03 MCS the other day. I'll let you know after I have it installed.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:29 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Another question about the detroit tuned BPV (hopefully this will continue the conversation djdport66 started and not be a hijack):

My BPV failed as I was merging onto the NJ turnpike at about 70mph; it was first very scary and second very frustrating.

Is the detroit tuned BPV safer in anyway? I know it's a strengthened stock BPV, but does that mean it's less likely to fail and get stuck like mine did? I ask because it took a little fancy footwork to make sure the people behind me didn't hit me when mine went, and I don't want to imagine this happening on the track.

I'd gladly pay the dollar price and lose the 1or2 mpg if this is a safer option.

Thanks!

mb

Old 01-17-2007, 08:44 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbcoops
Another question about the detroit tuned BPV (hopefully this will continue the conversation djdport66 started and not be a hijack):

My BPV failed as I was merging onto the NJ turnpike at about 70mph; it was first very scary and second very frustrating.

Is the detroit tuned BPV safer in anyway? I know it's a strengthened stock BPV, but does that mean it's less likely to fail and get stuck like mine did? I ask because it took a little fancy footwork to make sure the people behind me didn't hit me when mine went, and I don't want to imagine this happening on the track.
My stock bpv died about a year and a half ago. Not as dramatically as yours, but I noticed at some point that the car was a real slug. I was having a hard time keeping up with Coopers on a club run. I ended up driving the car for probably six months like that. The local dealer said nothing was wrong with it when I had it checked, and it's not like the car didn't run, just had about 90hp is all. It turns out the return spring had broken and the bpv was stuck open. The beefier return spring on the DT unit is one of the main things that sold me. I count that as being "more reliable". I also like the fact that they have modified it to closed completely, and that the heftier spring means that it will be a bit more reluctant to open. I'm looking forward to getting mine and having it installed.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:29 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
I love mine, it's a must for the older Mini's. It gave my car smoothness on take off and got rid of the YO YO that i could never get rid of no what other mods i did. It is easy to install and is a cheap mod. It also gave me one more psi of boost.
Mario

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 01-17-2007, 10:08 PM
motonikki812
4th Gear
I just installed one on my JCW car. I must say it is the best/most noticable engine mod I have done to it so far.... It really made the car much more crisp and responsive. The boost hits harder for sure and pulls longer. It feels like the car has more overall hp although throughout the rpm range.

As far as installation goes.... I would use Dr O's recommendation of removing 2 of the studs on the intake horn and installing much more simple bolts. You decrease the chances of damaging the supercharger intake tube. You will also appreciate it later when you ever have to remove these parts again. Just search "by pass valve" and you should find Dr. O's instructions. I took this recommendation and am glad I did.

Bottom line is Get It! You will be glad you did.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:17 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by motonikki812
I just installed one on my JCW car. I must say it is the best/most noticable engine mod I have done to it so far.... It really made the car much more crisp and responsive. The boost hits harder for sure and pulls longer. It feels like the car has more overall hp although throughout the rpm range.
Glad to here that!!! Mine's a JCW, too, and I often feel like I'm not getting all out of it that I should be.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:07 AM
djdport66
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 70spop
My stock bpv died about a year and a half ago. Not as dramatically as yours, but I noticed at some point that the car was a real slug. I was having a hard time keeping up with Coopers on a club run. I ended up driving the car for probably six months like that. The local dealer said nothing was wrong with it when I had it checked, and it's not like the car didn't run, just had about 90hp is all. It turns out the return spring had broken and the bpv was stuck open. The beefier return spring on the DT unit is one of the main things that sold me. I count that as being "more reliable". I also like the fact that they have modified it to closed completely, and that the heftier spring means that it will be a bit more reluctant to open. I'm looking forward to getting mine and having it installed.

Wow, that slug feeling....that's where I am at. Coming off an apex back on the throttle the car just won't pull like I am used to...

So the installion is a DIY job? Any special tools need for this part? I will also check Dr. "O's" recommendations. Thanks for the insight gang.

THX,
DJDport66

Old 01-18-2007, 07:13 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Quote...."So the installion is a DIY job?"
When I looked into it it seemed it was not. You have to loosen the front of the car and move it out of the way. And there is more.I was wondering if the stock one was designed to allow the supercharger to "free wheel" during cruising and other times. For less stress and better MPG's .Then as boost rises the boost pressure helps close the vlv.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:15 PM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
Anyone think it'd be worthwhile on an +05?

Old 01-18-2007, 01:24 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by RedSkunk
Depends if you car has that YO YO affect when it takes off.

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 01-18-2007, 01:25 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
It worked well on my '03. I also wonder if there's an advantage to using it - in my case - on an '06.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:40 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RedSkunk
I guess that was the jist of my question - my car is an '05, and my SA admitted to me that the stock BPV is not a well-made piece. It stands to reason that the detroit tuned unit is better because the spring is strengthened, but what do I know?

mb

Old 01-18-2007, 04:07 PM
RedSkunk
6th Gear
mm. And if it adds a pound of boost... There was one for sale the other day for $50. Might be worth it...??

Old 01-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Standard
2nd Gear
This bypass valve won't make any noise different than stock??

Old 01-21-2007, 06:16 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
An unfortunate byproduct of the DT bypass valve is it will increase the IAT.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dmh
An unfortunate byproduct of the DT bypass valve is it will increase the IAT.
What is IAT ??

Old 01-21-2007, 06:27 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
Intake air temperature; measured in the intake manifold.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply. Is the IAT higher because of the 1 pound of additional boost? I know when you squeeze air it gets hot.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:57 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
I don’t know anything about additional boost but I do know about the increased IAT. (I measure boost and IAT directly in the intake manifold.)
Under certain engine operating conditions the intake air is intended to go directly into the intake manifold. With the DT valve it is instead directed into the s/c. Hence, hotter air and less performance.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:27 AM
djdport66
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dmh
I don’t know anything about additional boost but I do know about the increased IAT. (I measure boost and IAT directly in the intake manifold.)
Under certain engine operating conditions the intake air is intended to go directly into the intake manifold. With the DT valve it is instead directed into the s/c. Hence, hotter air and less performance.
If understand what your saying, sometimes you don't really want the additional boost? Would it also seem to reason that the computer would need different programming to deal with the fuel/intake mixture? Sounds like a bad idea to alter the spring.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:00 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by djdport66
If understand what your saying, sometimes you don't really want the additional boost? Would it also seem to reason that the computer would need different programming to deal with the fuel/intake mixture? Sounds like a bad idea to alter the spring.
The DT bypass valve is a popular NAMer modification. But from my perspective it is not a wise idea. I have an entire list of poorly thought out modifications but that is for another thread.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Don - I (and others) appreciate your opinions and the work you do to support them. It's nice when alternatives are offered. That said, what would you recommend? I don't need to do anymore testing to know that the stock BPV is not something I'm comfortable with on the track, especially with how dramatic its failure was for me on the street. So what should I do? I'm not comfortable with the stock, and you see the DT BPV as "not a wise idea," so what's one to do? Risk it with the stocker?

mb

Old 01-22-2007, 09:54 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Want better throttle modulation on the track? Then my opinion is to use the stocker.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Detroit Tuned Bypass Valve