Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain oil catch can

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 04:13 PM
kliebss
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oil catch can

I have read up on the oil catch can for my 04 MCS, but i was wondering what kind of reviews the Oil catch can has got. My MCS has 80,000 on it so I wouldn't be surprised if there has been oil buildup in the IC. I would like to know the results from the install, good or bad. is it worth the purchase?

Old 02-19-2007, 04:18 PM
bryan1970
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i can tell you from experience that the oil catch can is effective in catching oil that is in the intake system. however be sure to empty the can on a regualr bais. becasue most people don't realize it but there is also water vapor in the crank case and the water will also collect in the oil catch can. and if you live in an area where it freezes often in the winter time it can freeze the water in the catch can and create positive pressure in the crank case. on the car i saw this happen to the pressure cracked the vavle cover and sprayed oil on tyhe exhaust and caught on fire.

again i'm not trying to scare ya form the oil catch can system i just want to warn ya of what could happen if not attended to.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
OCCs do work, I don't think anyone will argue that here. OCCs are more about increasing engine longevity than anything else. I think its more of a question of mod priorities and $ value. Clearly, its not a must have but a nice to have.

As to the problem of water freezing and creating a pressure issue - for that to happen the OCC would have to be full = neglectful maintance. While OCCs size can vary most have a way to monitor how much is in the can.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:35 AM
lou
2nd Gear
occ

Exactly correct about the vapor/water buildup. You MUST check the can at least every month in the winter. (Chicago). The can freezes all of the vapor and holds very little oil after 29k miles. If you are willing to ADHERE to a schedule...and drain the can even after the 22nd day below freezing for a high...it might be for you. For me I would not do the mod again. Just not enough oil to scare me has been trapped...but plenty of the clear stuff to discourage. I vote NO.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
I check mine every 3 months (I also live in Florida, so freezing is not an issue). I trap about a tablespoon of oil per month.

Again not a must have, nice to have and I can think of a lot of other mods before doing this.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by lou
Exactly correct about the vapor/water buildup. You MUST check the can at least every month in the winter. (Chicago). The can freezes all of the vapor and holds very little oil after 29k miles. If you are willing to ADHERE to a schedule...and drain the can even after the 22nd day below freezing for a high...it might be for you. For me I would not do the mod again. Just not enough oil to scare me has been trapped...but plenty of the clear stuff to discourage. I vote NO.
I am curious to hear how you have it plumbed.
Depending on how you have the hoses hooked up, you will either catch oil or water.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:42 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
i've found that it largely depends on your style of driving and how much blow-by your engine has. since driving more aggressively lately due to the cold weather; i've noticed as much as a 1/4 cup in 3 fill ups or so . but with this free h.p. this time of yr. it's tough to back off .

Old 02-22-2007, 12:33 AM
kliebss
1st Gear
thanks for the help. Yea, i think in the long run it is definitely worth it. Especially since i'll be flippin 100k in about a year or two. BUt for now this might be near the bottom of my priority list.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:57 AM
lou
2nd Gear
occ

Installation is per Alta specs and instructions. It does appear to be normal in colder climates. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:58 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lou
Installation is per Alta specs and instructions. It does appear to be normal in colder climates. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure concensus has been reached as to the RIGHT way to plumb the OCC to catch oil, and nothing else.

This routing has proven to catch oil and work. I recently pulled by DFIC off and there wasn't even a *odor* of oil in it!

cheers

Old 02-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
I'm pretty sure concensus has been reached as to the RIGHT way to plumb the OCC to catch oil, and nothing else.

This routing has proven to catch oil and work. I recently pulled by DFIC off and there wasn't even a *odor* of oil in it!

cheers
Having tried both install methods, I tend to agree w/ the Doc that this is the better set-up of the two out there.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:19 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
DrPhil has the correct diagram. This is the best way & only way to insure that there is good crankcase venting.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:42 PM
meh
2nd Gear
Ditto to the above; that's the way I have mine hooked up as well. It works very well...

Old 03-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Crow
1st Gear
another option?

Hi guys,

I'm installing mine now and I have two questions:

1.) Is it worth it to install a cranckcase vent filter on the line (short green line in Dr. Phil G's diagram) coming out of the driver's side of the valve cover and cap off the inlet on the intake hose? I had a normally aspirated Saturn coupe before and this was the preferred setup there from a performance standpoint (no burning of oil vapors from crankcase)... environmental considerations aside of course.

2.) Can I use the rubber hose from alta to attach to the grey line from the SC or will it collapse (blue line in Dr. Phil G's diagram)? If the rubber hose is no good, what's a better solution?

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2007, 02:20 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Crow
Hi guys,

I'm installing mine now and I have two questions:

1.) Is it worth it to install a cranckcase vent filter on the line (short green line in Dr. Phil G's diagram) coming out of the driver's side of the valve cover and cap off the inlet on the intake hose? I had a normally aspirated Saturn coupe before and this was the preferred setup there from a performance standpoint (no burning of oil vapors from crankcase)... environmental considerations aside of course.

2.) Can I use the rubber hose from alta to attach to the grey line from the SC or will it collapse (blue line in Dr. Phil G's diagram)? If the rubber hose is no good, what's a better solution? .

Thanks!
so long as the crankcase can breath it'll be okay but may get messy when you go heavy boost and push oil out of it . alot of guys are using another c.c. in line there .

Old 03-12-2007, 02:21 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
also fuel line of a good sturdy quality works great ; no collapse .

Old 03-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Crow
1st Gear
Originally Posted by herbie hind
so long as the crankcase can breath it'll be okay but may get messy when you go heavy boost and push oil out of it...
Ahhh... that makes sense... I guess that's why nobody does this with forced induction. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:23 PM
mistro
6th Gear
should the two occ be the same mfg or doe it not matter

Old 03-13-2007, 07:57 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mistro
functionally doesn't matter.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:41 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mistro
do a search on the $16.00 catch can . it works great !!!
walmart and lowes and auto zone .