Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Anyone thought all this stuff might burn their valves???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 12:36 PM
caidaudio
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the pulley causing the S.C. to force more air through , the free-flow intake and exaust allowing air to move faster :smile: (allowing less time in the intercooler for cooling:-? ) and now the ECU mod leaning out the mixture for optimal performance , has anyone started to worry about the valves or pistons burning up?? I have. I think we need to concentrate on a more efficient intercooler. I know BMP is working on one, and I believe Randy is also. How is all that working out?? I think a water-to-air one would be best, but I don't do this for a living. Y'alls thoughts??

Chris
'03 MCS << waitin' for the pulley!!! :smile:

Old 05-08-2003, 12:38 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I have seen the water to air installed on Randy's MINI. Very nice.

Old 05-08-2003, 12:47 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
Well, water to air is definitely going to be the way to go here. I won't let the cat out of the bag yet, but let's just say that recent testing shows a HUGE loss of power and even more torque with a larger core intercooler, and not even as large as the Alta product being talked about.

R

Old 05-08-2003, 01:24 PM
RUKnight
3rd Gear
You're valves will be fine, you'd have to make ridiculous amount of power or have some ridiculous EGT's to burn up the valves and even then your bottom end would probably melt before the valves burn up
Mike
Oh and air/water IC's are far superior for efficiency if one can be developed

Old 05-08-2003, 03:45 PM
cdconsor
4th Gear
>>Well, water to air is definitely going to be the way to go here. I won't let the cat out of the bag yet, but let's just say that recent testing shows a HUGE loss of power and even more torque with a larger core intercooler, and not even as large as the Alta product being talked about.
>>
>>R

Interesting. is the larger core intercooler in any way realted to the PWR version currently under development at mini-madness and for sale for $800 by monstermini?

Drat and here I was hoping for the easy install. Although, I wonder if we could use the MC bonnet on the MCS with the air-water...

Chuck

Old 05-08-2003, 03:49 PM
jlm
6th Gear
according to my reading, air-air is the most efficient, but air-water allows better combustion airflow routing, especially for the mini with the jammed up uner the hood zone.

http://www.bellintercoolers.com

Old 05-08-2003, 06:27 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>according to my reading, air-air is the most efficient, but air-water allows better combustion airflow routing, especially for the mini with the jammed up uner the hood zone.
>>

Bingo!

R

Old 05-08-2003, 09:45 PM
Sleepless
3rd Gear
Don't worry about the valves; they'll be just fine :smile:

If you want complete peace of mind, have an EGT (exhaust gas temp) gauge installed; if you see temps close to 1600F, start worrying :smile: But, with the current set of mods for the MCS, you won't be seing such temps.

Relax and enjoy the power

Old 05-09-2003, 08:01 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The water-air intercooler that I have been testing is now coming available as a kit. Numbers and availability are coming - look for it soon.

The larger air-air will be tested in the beginning of next week, and preliminary testing has already been done at another facility (the one in FL we are doing the pulley install at), but with a different intercooler. As soon as I have dyno and temp numbers on it, I'll be sure to post them.

I would have liked the simple air-air solution as well, which is much easier to bring to the market for a regular Joe to install, but if it doesn't work, there's no reason to spend the cash. I am not saying that yet, but just some thoughts.

The water-air has been simplified, and can be installed in about 45 minutes. Again, I'll keep you informed.

As for the CHT and EGT, the pulley isn't causing any problems. The JCW kit makes use of the same valves that are on the stock S head (which are sodium filled as opposed to the Cooper).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Randy