Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain R56... Where's the SC pulley go???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007 | 12:36 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Sounds like some AWESOME stuff coming out in the next couple of weeks! Can't wait to see what you guys(Alta) think about the new JCW engine kit, and if you plan on coming out with any upgrades to add onto that kit. Man, there's gonna be some smokin fast MINIs drivin around!!

Old 07-20-2007 | 01:07 PM
scott48
6th Gear
oh yeah, can you pretty easily change the Alta intake back to stock one?

Old 07-20-2007 | 03:21 PM
scott48
6th Gear
1 more question...is the turbo back exhaust gonna be made in 2 different sound levels, or just 1, that's hopefully got a nice throaty tone and decently loud.

Old 07-22-2007 | 09:29 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
scott48: Check out my threads on the cat-back with downpipe published today. I will add some new sound clips ASAP! I am also going to be testing a louder system in the coming weeks and I will report back to you as well!

1) As we understand it all of the ALTA upgrades will work with the JCW upgrades as well.

2) Yes, no permanent mods (other than to the hood scoop trim, but cheap and easy from the local MINI dealer)

3) Yes!

Thanks again!

Old 08-19-2007 | 09:37 PM
tomah
3rd Gear
cant wait

Old 08-19-2007 | 10:07 PM
scott48
6th Gear
lets get some details on the ecu flash!!

Old 08-30-2007 | 09:19 AM
byhsu
4th Gear
Is the Turbo Back Exhaust out for sale already?

Old 08-30-2007 | 01:16 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
byhsu: Yes it is! Call us, go online or visit one of dealers! Thank you for asking!

Old 08-30-2007 | 01:58 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
In the first post there is information on a catback exhaust and a turbo back exhaust. I am interested in the exhaust that yields 20whp and 20ft. lbs. torque. The link you gave me says only catback exhaust. I don't see anything on the Turbo back exhaust.

Last edited by byhsu; 08-31-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-30-2007 | 02:50 PM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Old 08-30-2007 | 02:55 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
Thanks, this clarifies my question. but is there a special price if we bought both of them together? It seems pricey at over $1500 for the Turbo Back exhaust.

Forgot to ask if the downpipe and cat back exhaust will be legal in California? In other words, will it pass the smog check?

Last edited by byhsu; 08-31-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-30-2007 | 06:01 PM
4htbx020
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
The intake test is our complete intake system. Filter, box, intake hose, and fresh air coupler. The drop in filter was not dynoed, but will be very soon! We do expect gains with it, but how much is the question!
any results yet?

Old 08-30-2007 | 06:07 PM
4htbx020
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2:
"We are setting the standard from which others will be judged from. Yes another company has an R56 exhaust out, but its 2.5” and they never did a before HP run. So they claim it makes 27HP because they made 202 at the engine, and since the stock car is supposed to make 175, it must make 27HP. Not very good proof IMHO."

How much does the Alta turbo back make at the engine? I have trouble comparing you guys because you don't report the same thing.

Last edited by 4htbx020; 08-30-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2007 | 01:47 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Bump! This needs to be back on the main page for a bit. Newbs keep missing the info and jsut trying to help! Thanks NAM!

Old 10-03-2007 | 02:00 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
ALTA:

Why not offer an ALTA STAGE I, just like JCW offers a STAGE I, Yours could have the CAI, the Down Pipe and the CAT Exhaust. You could offer a special price for buying all together. That way people who want to buy your products, could save a little more and get everything at once instead of buying the CAI first then the Turbo Back Exhaust later. Also that would make it helpful for Newbs, so they know that they don't have to spend a ton on a JCW stage I, when Alta offers their own version of the Stage I.

Last edited by byhsu; 10-03-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2007 | 02:20 PM
Candyman
Banned
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
Bump! This needs to be back on the main page for a bit. Newbs keep missing the info and jsut trying to help! Thanks NAM!
Nice work.

Old 10-03-2007 | 02:20 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
byhsu: I love that idea. We were going to wait to put the ECU in the mix. But we can work on that instead. I will mention it to the sales mgr. and see what we can do! Thanks again!

Old 10-03-2007 | 02:28 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
Depending on how long you get the ECU out, but if JCW already has there STAGE I, why not offers yours out now. and when the ECU is out, you could offer that one in a STAGE II. Anyways, just some suggestions. But can't wait to see that ECU out in the market.

Thanks.

Old 10-03-2007 | 02:30 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by byhsu
ALTA:

Why not offer an ALTA STAGE I, just like JCW offers a STAGE I, Yours could have the CAI, the Down Pipe and the CAT Exhaust. You could offer a special price for buying all together. That way people who want to buy your products, could save a little more and get everything at once instead of buying the CAI first then the Turbo Back Exhaust later. Also that would make it helpful for Newbs, so they know that they don't have to spend a ton on a JCW stage I, when Alta offers their own version of the Stage I.
AWESOME idea! I was actually planning to follow a similar order of the post mentioned above in my new MINI (CAI, turbo back exhaust, FMIC, and possibly boost tubes upgrade) but if I could get it all done at once as part of an actual package, that'd be amazing. I also plan to do the ALTA ECU flash when it's made available but in the meantime if you guys can put together a stage I package, I for one would purchase it immediately.

Old 10-03-2007 | 02:46 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Depending on how long you get the ECU out, but if JCW already has there STAGE I, why not offers yours out now. and when the ECU is out, you could offer that one in a STAGE II. Anyways, just some suggestions. But can't wait to see that ECU out in the market.

Thanks.
+1. As much as I'd love for ALTA to offer a package with all the things I mentioned above PLUS the ECU, getting a stage I package out now could reap some serious benefits. I know many NAM members (myself included) are attracted to the JCW kit simply because it's a package opposed to various parts which must be ordered separately from third part companies. Also, as was said above, this takes out most of the confusion for those new to tuning. For example I know ALTA's mods are superior to the JCW stage I kit but at times going the JCW route seems more attractive simply because it's easier.

Old 10-03-2007 | 02:54 PM
byhsu
4th Gear
Msteadman:

Good point. And if Alta offers a package that offers better performance for much less money, more people will consider it. Even though the JCW stuff is covered under warranty, I would get ALTA, so a STAGE I, would be great. It makes it easy for the consumer to choose JCW stage I or ALTA stage I.

As opposed to JCW stage I, or ALTA Turbo Back, and CAI? Let's see ALTA, DDM or Homemade? Then people would be trying to guess the power they would get with the different combos and they would end up choosing JCW stage I, cuz they know how much power they are getting + is covered under warranty.

Old 10-03-2007 | 04:22 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Msteadman
+1. As much as I'd love for ALTA to offer a package with all the things I mentioned above PLUS the ECU, getting a stage I package out now could reap some serious benefits. I know many NAM members (myself included) are attracted to the JCW kit simply because it's a package opposed to various parts which must be ordered separately from third part companies. Also, as was said above, this takes out most of the confusion for those new to tuning. For example I know ALTA's mods are superior to the JCW stage I kit but at times going the JCW route seems more attractive simply because it's easier.
You have just described my nightmare for the last 2 months! Going back and forth, back and forth. JCW or Alta? JCW or Alta! I'm going crazy!!! :impatient

Old 10-03-2007 | 04:29 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
GUYS AND GALS: Here is the deal. My e-mail is adam@altaminiperformance.com I am HAPPY to make a package on this for those that are interested. Contact me directly and I will get it done tomorrow. Will take a bit to get something official on the website, so I will take care of each person myself until such time.

Sound good? If so let me know!

BTW: The ECU tuning we offer will be able to work with this Stage I kit no issues!

Thank you again folks for your enthusiasm.

Adam@altaminiperformance.com

Old 10-03-2007 | 06:05 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Msteadman:

Good point. And if Alta offers a package that offers better performance for much less money, more people will consider it. Even though the JCW stuff is covered under warranty, I would get ALTA, so a STAGE I, would be great. It makes it easy for the consumer to choose JCW stage I or ALTA stage I.

As opposed to JCW stage I, or ALTA Turbo Back, and CAI? Let's see ALTA, DDM or Homemade? Then people would be trying to guess the power they would get with the different combos and they would end up choosing JCW stage I, cuz they know how much power they are getting + is covered under warranty.
Exactly! Like rattmobbins I've been 100% decided on one then 110% decided on the other to only switch back and forth constantly; but then again I'm ridiculously indecisive. It's like I want the gains, sound and look of the ALTA parts but at the same time I want the 'ready to go, proven and documented power' of the JCW kit. Not to say ALTA hasn't documented their gains well enough, I've actually been over each and every graph on you guys' website at least 10 times.

For me warranty is less then 1% of why I'm considering JCW. I already cleared it with my MA that a CAI, FMIC and exhaust will NOT chance my warranty in any way. What it seems a lot of people are forgetting is that worst case even if it does, the ALTA warranty replaces what is lost by the OEM part warranty. No dealer, at least that I've heard of, will reject your ENTIRE warranty because of a simple mod. If anything they just won't cover that particular item.

Thankfully I have 4-6 weeks to make my decision as my MINI won't be here until then.

Old 10-03-2007 | 06:11 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
so why then if if i may ask are you considering JCW so seriously

Quick Reply: Drivetrain R56... Where's the SC pulley go???