Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain R56... Where's the SC pulley go???

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by familiarstranger
so why then if if i may ask are you considering JCW so seriously
For the exact reason I said above. It's an all or nothing package, so there's no confusion for a newbie to tuning like me regarding this brand or that brand, these parts or those parts, etc. Also I know the exact amount of power I'm getting so that gives great peace of mind in itself. Since I'm not sure exactly which ALTA parts I'll be going with if I choose to take that route, it can get a bit confusing seeing exactly which parts reap how much gain. Also given that a few NAM members are now writing of getting the JCW Stage I kit INSTALLED right at the $2100 mark, it becomes harder to justify buying a sleuth of ALTA parts most of which are each priced right around $700 or more (other then the CAI and boost tubes which are right around $300 each) before installation. On the other hand if there was an actual package, I'm sure ALTA could discount the final price for buying multiple parts at once. AND there would be no confusion regarding how much gain the collective parts in said package would reap, as they could post dyno graphs of a car with ONLY the parts included. No less no more, so no discrepancies.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Candyman
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a great point, and it's actually one of the reasons why we have been dynoing our R56 shop car pretty frequently w/ Alta's parts on it.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:32 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
The ALTA parts will consistently outperform the JCW package. The dyno results thus far have already proven that out. The warranty should be the deciding factor. But good point previous is that the ALTA warranty takes over where the OEM is left off. We do stand behind our products. Another point is we use these on our OWN cars as well. Candyman above included. Howard motors on in to work nearly everyday (ok the past few have been an exception. I SWEAR i will finish my audio today!-)

Let me know how I can help further!

adam@altaminiperformance.com

Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
The ALTA parts will consistently outperform the JCW package. The dyno results thus far have already proven that out. The warranty should be the deciding factor. But good point previous is that the ALTA warranty takes over where the OEM is left off. We do stand behind our products. Another point is we use these on our OWN cars as well. Candyman above included. Howard motors on in to work nearly everyday (ok the past few have been an exception. I SWEAR i will finish my audio today!-)

Let me know how I can help further!

And now the pendulum swings back towards Alta...

:impatient

Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Msteadman
For the exact reason I said above. It's an all or nothing package, so there's no confusion for a newbie to tuning like me regarding this brand or that brand, these parts or those parts, etc. Also I know the exact amount of power I'm getting so that gives great peace of mind in itself. Since I'm not sure exactly which ALTA parts I'll be going with if I choose to take that route, it can get a bit confusing seeing exactly which parts reap how much gain. Also given that a few NAM members are now writing of getting the JCW Stage I kit INSTALLED right at the $2100 mark, it becomes harder to justify buying a sleuth of ALTA parts most of which are each priced right around $700 or more (other then the CAI and boost tubes which are right around $300 each) before installation. On the other hand if there was an actual package, I'm sure ALTA could discount the final price for buying multiple parts at once. AND there would be no confusion regarding how much gain the collective parts in said package would reap, as they could post dyno graphs of a car with ONLY the parts included. No less no more, so no discrepancies.
The JCW's kit has shown gains of under 15 HP and about 7 ft/lbs of torque, how you can equate that to ALTA's offering i'm not sure (Their dyno chart at the start of the thread shows a 25-30 HP Delta, and a 30-35 ft/lb torque delta).

The only reason anyone should buy the JCW kit is if they're ****-retentive about warranty coverage. Otherwise you're blowing $2k+ dollars on 10 HP (The equivilent of a cold air intake + a few ponies).

Last edited by Guest; 10-04-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:04 AM
scott48
6th Gear
Yeah, definitely would say go with Alta parts....very happy with mine, and definitely faster than the current JCW.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:12 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Candyman
That's a great point, and it's actually one of the reasons why we have been dynoing our R56 shop car pretty frequently w/ Alta's parts on it.
So what are the dyno results for JUST the Alta intake and exhaust?

Old 10-04-2007, 09:21 AM
byhsu
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
Yeah, that is what I want to know too, Dyno for the Alta Intake + the Turbo Back exhaust.

Alta, has all the dyno's of all their products, but the problem is they don't show the dyno for CAI + TBE.

or when they have the Dyno of their FMIC, it includes 3 more parts, but they don't state which parts, so it makes it confusing. Plus other posts have said that just because the CAI makes 10HP and the TBE makes 20HP, doesn't mean that combined they make 30HP.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
+1, took the question write out of my mouth. For now I'll most likely do only the cold air intake, cat back exhaust and downpipe so if I could get results for those parts only it'd be highly appreciated. Plan on doing the front mounted intercooler and boost tubes upgrade as well but that will be further down the line. As of now I'm pretty much decided on ALTA but depending on what kind of deal we can work out package wise (sent Adam an email) it will be the deciding factor.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:24 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
The JCW's kit has shown gains of under 15 HP and about 7 ft/lbs of torque, how you can equate that to ALTA's offering i'm not sure (Their dyno chart at the start of the thread shows a 25-30 HP Delta, and a 30-35 ft/lb torque delta).

The only reason anyone should buy the JCW kit is if they're ****-retentive about warranty coverage. Otherwise you're blowing $2k+ dollars on 10 HP (The equivilent of a cold air intake + a few ponies).
It's actually almost 20hp.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by byhsu
Yeah, that is what I want to know too, Dyno for the Alta Intake + the Turbo Back exhaust.

Alta, has all the dyno's of all their products, but the problem is they don't show the dyno for CAI + TBE.

or when they have the Dyno of their FMIC, it includes 3 more parts, but they don't state which parts, so it makes it confusing. Plus other posts have said that just because the CAI makes 10HP and the TBE makes 20HP, doesn't mean that combined they make 30HP.
GAH, you must have beat me by a second! But that's exactly my problem, there's no dyno results for JUST the 3 parts above and since it's not a simple matter of addition (which I still don't quite understand why it's not) I'm quite confused. Sorry for needing you guys to spell out everything for me, I'm very much a newbie.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:28 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Yea, I don't where know you're getting that info from but I wouldn't even be CONSIDERING the JCW kit if it only reaped 10hp. That has to be a joke... Or a gross understatement.

Last edited by Msteadman; 10-04-2007 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Guys: Sometimes hard to 'read' the tones of the comments. BUT, I believe that we have that chart. If not we can do it on the mule, by removing a few things. But to have it straight, the consensus is:

Dyno plot needed for Intake, Turbo-Back Exhaust only right?

Just want to confirm.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Guys: Sometimes hard to 'read' the tones of the comments. BUT, I believe that we have that chart. If not we can do it on the mule, by removing a few things. But to have it straight, the consensus is:

Just want to confirm.

Exactly. I haven't been able to find charts for just those three parts either on the website or here on NAM. But please correct me (and kindly point me to the link ) if I'm wrong.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:51 AM
byhsu
4th Gear

Just want to confirm.

YES, please, that would be great.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:52 AM
jimsevo8
2nd Gear

For me warranty is less then 1% of why I'm considering JCW. I already cleared it with my MA that a CAI, FMIC and exhaust will NOT chance my warranty in any way.
Be careful here. The new vehicle warranty is a legal contract between you and MINIUSA---Not the dealer--- Your MA has no authority to say what will and won't be covered under warranty, unless, the dealer decides to pay out of their own pocket if MINIUSA denies the warranty claim.

No dealer, at least that I've heard of, will reject your ENTIRE warranty because of a simple mod. If anything they just won't cover that particular item.
This is because they legally cannot do this. Search for Magnuson-Moss Act and you'll see this law was passed to prevent this from happening.

How do I know all this? As my screen name implies, I was a Mitsubishi Evo owner. Mitsu is militant about denying warranty claims on modded or tracked/autocrossed Evos.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:05 AM
6th Gear
Actually, if we're getting technical, I believe the figures given for the JCW kit (192 BHP) are using an entirely different system of measurement to calculate HP. Brake HP is different than SAE HP. So the margin is probably even thinner than 15 HP (More like 10-12 HP). The MINI Engine is probably close to 178-180 BHP, so comparing apples to apples, you're talking about a marginal gain.

The MCS Engine is rated to 172 HP SAE.

Last edited by Guest; 10-04-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:59 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Car being prepped for the dyno right now. Will either be today or tomorrow. We have to go backwards on the mule to get that chart you asked for. We had it, but it was wiped out of the dyno logs somehow. My apologies for the delay.

Coming soon though!

Old 10-04-2007, 11:28 AM
6th Gear
Yea, I don't where know you're getting that info from but I wouldn't even be CONSIDERING the JCW kit if it only reaped 10hp. That has to be a joke... Or a gross understatement.
I'm getting the info from a press release from Motoring File...

http://motoringfile.com/2007/02/28/2...lly-announced/

Old 10-04-2007, 03:25 PM
4htbx020
1st Gear
The jcw chart i saw on the miniusa site had a unmodded HP of 175 and with the jcw HP is at 192.

192 - 175 = ?

I assume they used the same HP measurement system before and after. So that would equal a 17 HP increase in whatever system they used.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Car being prepped for the dyno right now. Will either be today or tomorrow. We have to go backwards on the mule to get that chart you asked for. We had it, but it was wiped out of the dyno logs somehow. My apologies for the delay.

Coming soon though!

AWESOME, thanks! You're getting a guaranteed sale by doing this.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear

Coming soon though!

I'm very excited to see the results, even though I've already decided to go with you guys. Now I just need to figure out if I am gonna order direct from you, or go through JSC Speed (who offered me a smokin' deal BTW).

Old 10-05-2007, 06:46 AM
Candyman
Banned
Now I just need to figure out if I am gonna order direct from you, or go through JSC Speed (who offered me a smokin' deal BTW).
Should't be a tough choice...

Old 10-05-2007, 06:55 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Runs done!

AWESOME, thanks! You're getting a guaranteed sale by doing this.
They boys stayed late last night and dynoed the Mellow Yellow Mule to get fresh runs for you guys in all the variants. I on the otherhand went and worked at home on Howard! ALTA2(Jeff Perrin) will be posting results I assume before the end of the day today.

I will wait by the phone for the orders to come rolling in!

Thanks again guys and gals!

Old 10-05-2007, 07:11 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Candyman
Should't be a tough choice...
They only thing is that Alta is much closer to me, which equals shorter shipping times. I doubt they would undercut one of their trusted vendors though, so you should be getting an order from me soon!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain R56... Where's the SC pulley go???