E-Mini Low-Regen on Start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 11:38 AM
MandB
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Low-Regen on Start?

All,

Glad to be back on NAM...has always been a huge source of information and I appreciate the community.
Quick question to see if anyone has guidance on whether or not you can customize the startup procedure of the car so that it automatically has you in the LOW regeneration mode as opposed the HIGH.
My question also extends to drive modes (Green, Green+, Mid, Sport) though my guess is that you always need to manually select which one you'd like on each startup.

Looking forward to responses and hope all who have the SE are enjoying it!

B

Old 05-17-2021, 02:54 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
I know you can code the car to start in your desired mode using bimmercode. Not sure if you can also set the braking mode, but it seems likely.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:07 AM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
I haven't seen anything in Bimmercode that can set the preferred regen mode to low but you can set the default drive mode. It can also remember the last setting.

Tip, use BMW i3 to set some things like the Vehicle Sound Generator.

Old 05-22-2021, 11:59 AM
PretzelMustard
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MandB
Quick question to see if anyone has guidance on whether or not you can customize the startup procedure of the car so that it automatically has you in the LOW regeneration mode as opposed the HIGH.
I too am interested in doing this - I find the HIGH regeneration (or Energy Recovery has MINI calls it) to be far too aggressive for my tastes. I tried driving with it but it just seems it's too easy to stop suddenly especially when I go around corners. After about a week I've now decided I like to turn it off every time I start the car, and it' just one more annoying thing to have to flip each time I start. I now have 5 buttons - start, click dismiss the navigation screen, confirm my car key profile, switch to low energy recovery and release parking brake.

Hopefully Bimmercode can add this setting!

Old 05-23-2021, 06:49 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by PretzelMustard
confirm my car key profile
If this annoys you, you can turn it off in the car settings. The other stuff, unfortunately not.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:02 AM
Jon Roberts
3rd Gear
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
I really like it. It reminds me of driving a manual, having the RPMs high, and letting off the gas. It is when the engine basically becomes an air pump because the ECU turns the injectors off (fuel enleanment). My daughter likes it too and compares my car to Mario Kart.

I never click ok on the navigation because it just times out, I don't see anything about confirming my key fob, and I don't use the parking brake in my garage. Maybe you are just making it more difficult than it should be?

Old 05-25-2021, 06:33 PM
eMINIman
2nd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by PretzelMustard
I too am interested in doing this - I find the HIGH regeneration (or Energy Recovery has MINI calls it) to be far too aggressive for my tastes. I tried driving with it but it just seems it's too easy to stop suddenly especially when I go around corners. After about a week I've now decided I like to turn it off every time I start the car, and it' just one more annoying thing to have to flip each time I start. I now have 5 buttons - start, click dismiss the navigation screen, confirm my car key profile, switch to low energy recovery and release parking brake.

Hopefully Bimmercode can add this setting!
If you've driven your SE for only a week, I would suggest you try driving with the high-regen braking for a while longer. I find the regen braking totally controllable--it's not like hitting a brick wall when you let off on the accelerator in the Chevy Bolt. My wife didn't like the high-regen at first but now she, too, loves it. The excellent regen-braking is one of the true delights of this electric car.

I installed an interior brake LED that I can see in my rear-view mirror to show me when I was flashing my brake lights as a result of regen braking. What I learned was that when the needle touches the first regen block on the power gauge, the brake lights come on. I wish they would at least let you slow down as fast as an ICE-powered car using engine braking without lighting the brake lights.

The other thing I learned from my interior brake LED was that after using regen-braking to come to a stop, the brake lights go out while you're sitting there. So you might want to keep your foot on the brake to alert the driver behind you--who is probably just looking up from their phone--that you're stopped.