Eastern Iowa MINIs Eastern Iowa MINI enthusiasts group

Snap In iPhone Adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 AM
Jim_Spencer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snap In iPhone Adapter?

Do any of you have any experience with the snap-in iPhone adapter for the arm rest? Is it worth it? Aside from convenience, is there any benefit over the Y-Cable? Also, does it work if your iPhone is in a case? (I'm assuming not.)

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2012, 01:01 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim_Spencer
Do any of you have any experience with the snap-in iPhone adapter for the arm rest? Is it worth it? Aside from convenience, is there any benefit over the Y-Cable? Also, does it work if your iPhone is in a case? (I'm assuming not.)

Thanks!
No experience here...I've thought about it but have never been able to bring myself to plunk down the extra ~$175 to get it, particularly since I've been surviving just fine without it. In fact, I have been satisfied with the functionality I get just using the iPhone's supplied USB cable into the USB audio port (i.e., I don't even bother with the Y-Cable). I get all of the MINI Connected functions as well as Pandora and MOG, including album art, with the iPhone cable alone. Before I subscribed to MOG, I could play iTunes tracks just fine too. I'm never sitting still in the MINI anywhere long enough to watch video.

And you're right, if your iPhone is in a case it will not fit into the adapter. A vinyl wrap on the back would be okay.

I suppose I may be missing out on a few of the "on the fringe" functions of MINI Connected using it this way, but it hasn't bothered me a bit.